Old ass tech

I was around but I was a child when pagers were a thing back in the 90s. (26).

What was so great about having one of these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

hal0gen.com/archive/anarkia/411_beeper.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you know the notification thing on your smartphone? it was basically that. and since it was a receive only device the battery lasted quite some time for those times

Well, I got the point in that, I suppose having a 1 way communicator could come in handy at the time. Even up to when I was a teenager, I just walked around town and called from a local store to my mom. Never needed such a device

It wasn't for communicating with your mom, it was so teenage couples could spam "143" at each other all day

Aren't those shits still in use in hospitals?

I have one at work. All the nurses get soggy when that shit goes off.

what was 143?
I had a gf as a teen but neither of us never had a pager. Then again, this was back in like 08

If I'm right, I don't think they work like normal pagers. I think they are more similar to how a walkie works. They are all central or something

Also, thats a real life trauma pager, the most gangster of the remaining pagers

hal0gen.com/archive/anarkia/411_beeper.html

how fucking adorable, it makes you wanna barf

>143

Yeah, but imagine in the same scenario, if your mom needed to call you. You were a person wandering with nothing attached to you, and no way for her to reach out and alert you of anything. Pagers filled that gap. It's part of the reason they caught on so quickly with emergency personnel and such, it allowed quick notification to recall people who were off-shift in case shit went down and they were needed. Radios were a thing then, but when you're not on shift, do you really wanna monitor a radio frequency and hear all the mundane goings-on of your workplace? No, you'd much prefer a small device that'll just beep if you're actually needed.

whats so hard to understand? you had a pager so that you knew when someone called you. instead of not knowing that someone was calling your phone at home.

This shit is the bane of my existence. I work as a resident in the hospital and nurses page me all day about inane bullshit like diet orders and tylenol. Then they page me again about not responding to the previous page fast enough.

OP was born after 2000

You still us them? By 2010 my hospital replaced all of them with cell phones.

thought you couldn't use them in hospitals cause of fear the signal would fuck up medical equipment/cause some old fucker's pacemaker to shit itself?

I'm 26, try again dude.

>Old ass tech

Why can't you fucks type that correctly? it is "old-assed,'

No, the main reason we still use pagers is that the communication can be delayed. You can triage the pages "Have to respond now vs respond in 5 minutes vs can respond at will." Pagers are also HIPAA compliant I think and some hospitals are stingy enough not to shell out for security to make cell phone communication compliant.

Yeah, my aunt's a nurse and carries one when she's on-call

kys tripfag

Did you really need to make another thread?

sorry user, that's not me. I didn't know it existed or I wouldn't have.

Not a doc but work in a hospital. I hear that annoying ass beep every 5 minutes if there's a doctor in the vicinity.

>codes aren't organised from 1 onwards
disgusting

old guy here, we used to page our dude from Burger King payphone to buy shwag in high school

Like how you can multiaddress text messages, you could multiaddress pager messages.
This made it useful for companies and emergency services because they could get in touch with multiple people without having to call each person individually.

Also, cellphones weren't really a thing at that point, so getting in contact with someone who might not be near a phone was also an issue.

Idk if american emergency services use them, but the UK ones do. I've decoded them with a laptop and an RTL-SDR stick. It's kinda interesting but not interesting enough that I've ever done it again since.
It's technically in contravention with my Ham Radio licence but I'm a mad lad.

Here in norway back in the 60's i hear people had to run down to a central to make a phone call, werent even payphones.

Mine lasted 2 weeks on single AA alkaline.