My server just text me. HDD had a giant spike in bad sectors and uncorrectable reads. SeaGate: never again

My server just text me. HDD had a giant spike in bad sectors and uncorrectable reads. SeaGate: never again.

Other urls found in this thread:

manpages.debian.org/stretch/sendxmpp/sendxmpp.1p.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How does your server send SMS messages to you?

i gave it my number?

get off Sup Forums

Did you use enterprise grade seagate?

fuck you cia niggers, tell me how to send sms to phone, I need to fucking spam call some faggots

top yourself cunt

Illegal

Carriers have some sort of email system where if you send an email to a persons number they would get it as an SMS

SMS is just a special case of email. If your phone number is 2105439876 and your service is through AT&T, sending an email to [email protected] will be delivered to your phone as a text message.
So you can just send an email from your server.

It's called an SMS Gateway. See Japan relies heavily upon these.

Thanks a lot Sup Forums, gonna search a tuto for how to implement this on my server

you just send an email

i find it move useful to send myself alerts with sendxmpp... also my carrier doesn't do free sms because third world country

manpages.debian.org/stretch/sendxmpp/sendxmpp.1p.en.html

But that requires a cellphone and a number and a service provider. What the fuck? Are you telling me that I can type [email protected] in my mail thing and at some point down the line it becomes a SMS and it gets delivered to 2105439876? How do they even charge me if I'm in another country and don't even own a mobile? Something isn't adding up.

>But that requires a cellphone and a number and a service provider.
No it doesn't.
>Are you telling me that I can type [email protected] in my mail thing and at some point down the line it becomes a SMS and it gets delivered to 2105439876?
Yes.
>How do they even charge me
They don't

I don't see why you're having trouble understanding this.

>ST2000DM001
It's just feature.

What's your number senpai? I wanna try it real quick.

I should not be using seagate?????!! Plan9 has no issues with detecting/using it. Plan9 is worse than the BSD's when it comes to basic support!

Sup san antonibro
Stay away from the east side tomorrow

>SeaGate

kind of your own fault for not doing the research on this fucking scam of a company

>shitgate
has everyone forgotten the asian hdd crisis

>over 50 Seagate HDDs for the past 10 years
>0 failures

Not him, but around five years ago we had to implement a similar system in school. We used a phone with a SIM card that was connected to the PC and then used some sort of Linux software to send the SMS via the phone. Can't remember the details anymore.

You bought a hard drive with a 1 year warranty user.

>tfw no server-chan to text me

Damn, now i kinda want to create a fake Demon Summoning Program where you would sign up with your phone number and demons could send you SMS messages.
With turn-based combats through text.

That or a sweet waifu that texts you when you want.

Hitachi or bust.

>My server just text me

WOW

>SMS is just a special case of email

WTF

They were bought by WD, the only decent brand nowadays is Toshiba

My provider operates on whitelist only. You have to send sms to email before they can start emailing

>data unrecoverable after few months of usage
What would I do if the drive fails and I haven't finished backing it up?

>using consumer grade hardware in a server

you're just a dumb fuck

Why would you go with Seagate?

I owned 5 Seagate drives, all dead within less than a fucking year of usage. Didn't happen with Maxtor, didn't happen with Samsung, WD, Toshiba, I don't know man.

>tfw no gf so your server texts you

That's the ultimate form of data security at that point, your files are completely safe from everyone including yourself.

>not just using all ssds
baka.
long term backups can be done via tape

make sure to do it in style, m8

>just using all ssds
>paying more for less reliable storage on a server

no, you are the baka

What software sends the alerts?

I decided to give them a shot for once. Decades of using WD with no problems, I figured drive reliability was just a meme at this point. Owned 4 seagates within 4 years, two failed. Meanwhile, my two 20GB HDDs from WD in 2003 are still chugging just fine.

It's a WS2016 install for Plex. I use CrystalDiskInfo running as a service. Checks disk health every 10 minutes or so. Sends an email on status change.

But they're more reliable

>seagate as a main drive for more than 2 years now

rev up those backups

>tfw not even your server texts you

shit, I just bough a brand new 1 TB external Seagate hard drive

Of course the Dutch version of the provider doesn't support that service. Stingy.

Its piss to setup

Why do you never respond?

>build server gf
>she ghosts me
pls respond ;_;

I had two WD die within a year. Normal usage, one boot cycle a day. Then another WD that has been going strong for seven years. It's a fucking lottery.

The little shit won't even let me

>3TB seagate barracuda for 3 years as my main drive
just werks

u better pay apple then

mfw give seagate one more chance and this happened

writes to disk normaly, but reads max 25mb/s usually stuck at 3mb/s

Seagate? More like 30% failure rate!

and on seatool it passes all tests.

and gonna need to more ~1.5TB at around 10mb/s speeds

any recommendations for 2.5 2tb hdd?

>Not running smartmond
>Not configuring RAID
>Using consumer shit

"server"

>SeaGate
r u retarded ?

>only seagate hard drives fail
Keep believing that right into the abyss of lost backups.

We live in a country that is technologically stagnating user, dutch T-mobile a shit

HELP