Hey Sup Forums, I'm a broke student who wants a cheap gaming desktop. My budget is around $150 NZD...

Hey Sup Forums, I'm a broke student who wants a cheap gaming desktop. My budget is around $150 NZD. I was thinking of just getting one of those cheap HP compaq and upgrading it where needed. What's your guys thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-1516238034.htm?rsqid=f960dbf256c348de9e796c8b69b7b0b5
trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-1518823326.htm?rsqid=134c6fdb13c04f2aabfe516c0aa8bb63
trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-1519158082.htm
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-560-4gb,5254.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The cheapest GPU's going (when they're not out of stock) are like $600.

You're too late. You missed the gaming wagon. You can't get a ride now until the cryptomeme collapses. IF it collapses.

used cards are a thing

Murrican here. I compared the USD to NZD and $150 NZD is $109.17 USD. You aren't going to get much. Also, if you're looking for gaming, you will be stuck with old indie games and emulators.

i have almost that exact hp usff box and honestly it's only good for playing LoL, and nothing else

If you're a student, then just give up gaming and concentrate on your work.

Good thing that's the only thing I play. Besides CSGO when I can be arsed.

Yes, but you will need a old card from years ago. Also, if you get a used card, there is a chance that it was used by a GPU miner and it is about to die, because mining severely reduces the lifespan. Don't expect to do any modern gaming on it. You might be better off playing games that are open sourced, emulators, and older indie games. You might be better off saving up for a better rig. With 109 USD, there is not much you can get. Get a used desktop that wasn't used by a miner.

I have one of those gathering dust. You need half-height cards. They're pretty meh.

Don't hate and donate.

>cheap gaming desktop
>hardware prices through the roof
Even a modern console will cost too much for you. Get used hardware from a local site or eBay if you are buying from your country.

this

I actually got the thing from Free Geek for a project I planned that never went anywhere. It was like $20. I should probably just give it back.

Don't tell someone what to do. Save up money. I also have a old motherboard with onboard graphics, but it needs a new hard drive, case, and power supply. I might just donate the hardware, but a hard drive will cost you, also the case and power supply will be over 100 bucks.

This doesn't look that bad. trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-1516238034.htm?rsqid=f960dbf256c348de9e796c8b69b7b0b5

>$150 NZD

NZ'er here. You aren't getting fucking shit for that. Not even an old Sup Forumstier ChinkPad comes that cheap. Not even a Chromebook is available at that price point. Those compact PCs don't have worthwhile CPUs.

If you got that Student Allowance (it's now $200 max thanks to Labour party comrades), then just wait for that to stack up, you lazy cunt.

I get $105 a week from Student Allowance and my mum wants $70 a week in rent.

>used gpu might be used by miner
>get used desktop as long as it wasn't used by a miner
nigga stfu

Go work one day a week then or something then mate, when I was in NZ one could make $1000 NZD a week on minimal wage...

What's the NZ equivalent of ebay/amazon? Search those.

Also check local craigstlist equivalent. As well as local school/university/businesses's surplus sales

Don't buy a SFF, you won't be able to fit a video card. Also the power supplies in these are small and proprietary. Upgrading is a huge pain in the ass. Even running a 6 pin connector for additional power to a video card requires an adapter.

I have a HP Elite 6300 with a 1050ti in it. Put it together for under $200 and it works great for what it is.

NZ bro here. I picked up one for $50 on sale.
Yeah, they're pretty OK as long as you don't want to do anything intensive and only want to run Linux.
I wouldn't pay $150 for it though.

trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-1518823326.htm?rsqid=134c6fdb13c04f2aabfe516c0aa8bb63

trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-1519158082.htm

You only get $105? That means your parents already make enough to buy shit for you. Tough luck, sonny.

>I get $105 a week from Student Allowance
Lucky fuck. I got nothing.

Amerifat here. It's a tight budget, but it's entirely do=able.

First thing you're gonna wanna get is a computer itself. You have a few different options, but generally an old Dell Optiplex with an Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad will do you justice, or something equivalent like an HP Pavilion Desktop.

Check Ebay, Facebook, Letgo, whatever you can find. Be patient, a lot of people over price their electronics, but you'll eventually find a good deal or someone willing to negotiate.

Next thing you'll need is a GPU. Get one that'll draw all it's power from the PCIE slot (generally GPUs that consume 35 Watts or less are a safe bet, 75 if it's a newer computer.) Make sure it has GDDR5 vRam for the best performance, remember that 1GB GDDR5 >>> 3GB GDDR3.

now you got everything you need assuming you have the nessecary accessories, time to get some games. Good F2P Games I recomment:

Team Fortress 2
Maybe Dota??

Humble Bundle generally offers free games every so often, so be on the lookout for that.

Good luck

I should mention that I have a monitor, keyboard and Mouse already. I just need a box

If you want 1080p gaming add another $150 and get a 2GB RX560.

tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-560-4gb,5254.html

save what you've got until you can double or triple your budget. go to lan cafes in the mean time

I'll probably do this. I already have a laptop, though it's not the best.

Make friends with IT-guys. We throw away shit like this all the time.

Get PS4 or Xbones.
/thread

Reminder: where there is a will, there is a way. where there is a way, there is a will

yknow video games also run a video card too

You'll only have to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard, GPU, RAM and power supply :^)

300 for the midi
60 for each piece of content
Another 60 for yearly tributes
No mods
No