/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread:
/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

useful post

I'm a woman in my 30s who recently was sexually assaulted by two men at a local open source convention. I'm just posting here in hope that they read this and realize that their days are numbered.

Hi,
I have a question regarding 'aliases':
Why does the following alias work: alias='sudo apt'? Now if I type 'sudo apt update/upgrade' etc into the terminal it does what I intended to do. Now I am wondering why the alias does not work in the way like pressing 'enter' immediately after 'sudo apt'. Why am I allowed to finish the command?
When I use the alias='cd Desktop' for example I am not allowed to attache a deeper path.
Thx.

I just traded in my Chromebook for a Thinkpad and installed ubuntu, did I get meme'd? Liking it so far, but I have no idea how to do anything. I followed a Youtube video to get Linux onto a flashdrive and then boot from USB, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Where can I go to learn how to download files and what is different about Linux vs Windows?

Installing software is really easy. Just type "sudo apt install " into the terminal and away you go. The Install Gentoo wiki seems ok for learning the basics.

Okay, thanks user. I guess I'll try stripping out ubuntu and installing gentoo? Truth be told I mostly just browse Sup Forums and youtube and school stuff.

aliases are literal text replacements
if you have
alias cdd='cd Desktop/'
and want to attach a deeper path
cdd subfolder
it becomes
cd Desktop/ subfolder
the imprtant part is the space between / and s
obviously
cddsubfolder
won't work either.
in the sudo apt example you expect and need the space after apt and thats why it works

Please respond

Installing gentoo is extremely difficult if you are a beginner. You could try it in a virtual machine though, you'll learn a lot. I say stick to Ubuntu for now though.

Tits or GTFO

Then you don't need Gentoo. Gentoo is the meme distro on here, if you don't know why you should be using Gentoo instead of Ubuntu. Then you don't have a reason to use Gentoo. Stick with whatever works instead of listening to the meme'd gentoo'tards on here

>sexually assaulted by two men at a local open source convention
Did they ask you for coffee or what?

hi anons, i'm new to linux and i'm installing Manjaro on a acer aspire e1 522, anything that i should know before the installation?

ah thank you very much.

>anything that i should know before the installation
check if there are drivers for your hardware.
usually searching for "LAPTOPNAME linux" should give you plenty of information

is out there a wiki for this purpose?

how do i install themese on ubuntu?

I'm trying to setup easy file hosting on my Parabola-running server, ftp proved to be a useless mess once you leave the internal LAN, SFTP/SCP doesn't liek password auth…
Wat do?

>update Ubuntu Mate with kernel 4.13
>VirtualBox doesn't work anymore
>my fucking microphone doesn't work anymore

>Assaulted at an open source convention
I suggest putting an assault clause in your software license.

After I realized it was a kernel bug, I was looking desperately to see if I could roll back the update. But thankfully, I found out I can just load Ubuntu with the previous kernel in GRUB.

"Always update your kernel, user," they said. "You don't want to leave your computer open to obscure vulnerabilities, user," they said. Fuck this, I'm going back to updating my kernel once a year.

Sayonara Player is fucking neat

finally a music player that supports drag-n-dropping folders

doesn't virtualbox recompile the kernel for itself upon installation? Meaning updating the kernel will require recompiling it again?

I believe so. After I booted back under the old kernel, VirtualBox still couldn't load the kernel driver. I tried reinstalling the driver but it didn't work, so I ended up purging and reinstalling VirtualBox (virtualbox and virtualbox-dkms). That did the trick.