Can someone explain me why retarded faggots buy common GPUs made for PC gaming to farm cryptocurrency instead of...

Can someone explain me why retarded faggots buy common GPUs made for PC gaming to farm cryptocurrency instead of getting proper ASICs?

Cheaper? They cryptofags do actual calculations. Performance/Watt

ASICs are really expensive and the good ones sell out instantly

Some algorithms are asic-resistent.

As I understand it some of the more modern currencies use algorithms that would require custom silicon to handle. Apparently the cost of that wasn't worth it, especially when you factor in the resellability of a last-gen GPU vs an outdated custom miner.

> running windows with i3 wm

Can someone explain why dumbasses like you make stupid fucking threads like this?

google.com you fucking idiot

Wow you are so angwryyy

the retarded faggot is you, neon sack of shit.

Wow you are so angwryyy

Not every algorithm benefits from an ASIC you fucking retard. Nobody but turbochinks mine shit like Bitcoin anymore.

You don't need it to benefit every algorithm you fucking braindead shitskin.

You need to benefit an algorithm worth mining, or else you're betting a lot of money.

fuck i wish the i3 window manager was on windows

Sure for Bitcoin a 1080ti 11GB is crap, but some other crypto coin mining is more limited by ram size and speed... deliberately so people can't just make ASICs and win - so distributing the mining power wider than ASIC mining does.

"ASIC" means custom silicon. The point is that eg. Ethereum use algorithms that are optimized for GPUs in such a way that there's no ASIC that would obviously handle them better, except by effectively being a new GPU architecture. They are made this way so that it's somewhat meaningful for lay people to do mining, in order to try and avoid that control of the cryptocurrency falls into the hands a few very influential mining corporations due to lay people not being into ASICs, as has more-or-less happened with Bitcoin.

In a similar manner, Monero's hash is optimized for traditional CPUs.

While true, that's the wrong answer, because it still isn't even remotely meaningful to use GPU mining for Bitcoin.

They designed ETH so it could only be mined on GPUs.

so you can play games if you like

Why can't we cluster FPGAs for Asic?

>try and avoid that control of the cryptocurrency falls into the hands a few very influential mining corporations

Now GPUs are fucking non-existant. Thanks fucker.

Asic you want mean motherboard with all ?

wat the fuck

are you okay, user?

so you can sell the gpu later

bitcoin goes kaput asic is useless but gpu can be sold again

And thanks to that now I can't fucking buy anything to upgrade my 5870 because everything is at least x10 overpriced due to """"virtual money"""" mining.
crypto was a mistake

>implying anyone is going to want a card used for crypto mining

only thing that really wears out is the fan

this is the correct answer.
they're either ethniggers or trying to pump/dump whatever new altcoins they find that support gpu mining.

>whatever new altcoins they find
My question is who are the retards that buy off brand knockoff coins?
This makes as much sense as investing in zimbabwe dollars