SSDs are nothing more than a Sup Forums meme...

SSDs are nothing more than a Sup Forums meme. No one seriously uses them in industry because of the extremely limited number of writes. Also they cost a fuck ton more per gigabyte, and do not have the capacity to hold the entire operating system and applications for a modern computer workstation. The speeds are barely faster than 10000 rpm drives, especially when you consider the fact that most of your hard drive accesses are going through RAM caches anyway, you aren't going to hit the actual disk every time. The only thing SSDs have is *slightly* faster bootup times. But bootup is less than 1% of computer use time, so it's not really a metric worth optimizing for. Just hibernate your PC instead of shutting it off, or grow some pateince and wait the 10 extra seconds to boot up with a normal hard drive.

here's a reply

bait/10

>Paying more/GB is
>Having your filesystem corrupted by fundamentally flawed drive design
>being barely faster than an HDD in real world tests
>being fooled by a bunch of tests that either exaggerate minor differences, test conditions that could never happen in real use, or outright lie to you

>t. has never even used one
No, they are not a meme. Even on my 10 year old SATA2 ThickBads they made a huge difference over a 7200RPM hard disk for example. SSDs are just great for use as a boot disk in general. And on my laptops that have SATA3, everything is twice as fast. You can stay salty and cling to your shitty magnetic spinners that are loud as fuck while I enjoy the speed, silence, and shock resistance of my superior storage devices.

If you ever want to stop being a fucking Downie, you can get 275GB Crucial SSDs on Amazon for less than $100.

I won't fall for your jew tricks chaim

>SSDs are a jewish trick
No, they aren't.

I won't use a server unless it has a SSD.

Once you have one you can't go back.

>Hello Seagate,
>I see that you are having problems making your own SSDs
Why do you think SSD exist? is it only for boot times?
SSD don't have mechanical parts that is constantly moving during use, which is why the military uses them for tanks, planes and drones to shoot at idiots like you.
Even commercial airplanes and space flight uses them.
All because of the ability to withstand extreme shock, vibration and temperature ranges.

It is also most preferred to use on a laptop than HDDs.
Also they are more reliable to retain data than your common RAM in power outages, especially when the worst case scenario happen. It is a really good cache drive.
They are also more power efficient too, because you dont need to spin a platter to write, and move a magnetic head to read and write on different areas of the platter.
Theres a bunch more arguments in this but i dont want this post to get longer.

>fell for the ssd meme
>do backup
>stored it for 5 years in a cool, dry place
>failed integrity check

Someone who's never used an SSD. Or used some of the really fucking early ones.

>5 years
Man, this is bait as fuck or you're fucking retarded as shit.

>buy bike
>store it for 5 years
>why are my tires flat?
>bikes are memes guys

my work laptop has a big old SSD in it. nice try though.

lmao if you don't cold storage your cold storage in a hermetically sealed argon-charged faraday cage.

>ssd
write data constantly for decades, only after that some sectors can get faulty and you still could recover data afterwards
>hdds
write data for 1month-10years and a mechanical part crashes and everything gets lost

Stay poor Pajeet

This is honestly one of the main advantages. When most modern SSDs reach their maximum number of writes, the controllers will often make them read only. This is great because they won't just break, and you can copy your data over to something else. Contrary to popular belief, it's not planned obsolescence. These things are advertised with a certain amount of writes, and you know this going in.

>upgrade my home computer and put in an ssd
>well I guess some things are a bit faster but not by much
>a few months later
>get job
>they give me a decent computer but it has a hdd
>open program
>brrrrrr
>open tab in web browser
>brrrrrr
>boot computer
>brrrr brrr brrrr
>holy shit why is this so fucking slow

>No one seriously uses them in industry
And yet there are tons of SSD VPS offers.

>Ram goes up
>Gpus go up
>Ssds remain cheap

What did the Jews mean by this

No they aren't I am currently running windows 10 on a wd red, I previously had it on a intel 520 series but it was way to small and the difference is enormous after I logged in I have to wait one minute till everything is loaded and fully usable, I will be upgrading to a m.2 ssd soon. A ssd is really a very good improvement to make pc run faster and much smoother.

Remain at the same price*
They were never cheap to begin with. Their price simply did not increase.

>barely faster than hdd in real world tests
my SSD transfers at 500MB/s and HDD at 120MBps?

Use one on a database server and get back to me.

they got cheaper since 2008 per gb. for 100$ you can't even get cheapest 16/32 gb ssd.

the only disadvantage SSDs have over HDDs is that when stored for over a year without usage they'll start losing charge and having your data corrupted in chunks. this is a known flaw of the design of the system, which you should have known by going in the SSD wiki page. for any long term storage use HDDs and store in cool/dry environment

>fall for the ssd meme
>it comes alive at night and gets into my fridge
>no idea how it gets in
>it ran away one night and got pregnant
>now i have eight usb sticks
wtf???

Are they at least USB 3.0?

Nigger