Does anyone use freebsd as a daily driver here?

does anyone use freebsd as a daily driver here?

Other urls found in this thread:

openports.se/graphics/glew
cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/graphics/glew/pkg/PLIST?rev=1.6&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
man.openbsd.org/pledge.2
youtu.be/F_7S1eqKsFk
blog.tintagel.pl/2015/01/03/code-rot-openbsd.html
openbsd.org/goals.html
openbsd.org/security.html
openbsd.org/papers/ru13-deraadt/
lwn.net/Articles/734071/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No.

No one would trust FreeBSD in an automobile.

I used to, but now iwn drivers are broken on FreeBSD 11.x so I can't use it anymore on my thinkpad. I asked for any help to the community (3 people) and they knew nothing and just told me to get an atheros card

Heh

kek that's autismobsd community for you

Sure do

Pity the fool.

>Sure do
As a guest os under a windows host. It just w

Two w's in the same shitpost == crash.
That's BSD for you.

bare metal & daily driver

not even the same poster you mong

I wouldn't trust anything but an RTOS in a car.

Would there be any point in getting a cheap 2nd hand Thinkpad and run FreeBSD exclusively on it? What's the advantages of BSD over Windows or Linux?

If you're gonna go cuck license atleast do it properly and run OpenBSD

very likely but does anyone anywhere use debian with the bsd kernel instead of linux?

*FreeBSD kernel

>Would there be any point in getting a cheap 2nd hand Thinkpad and run FreeBSD exclusively on it?
FreeBSD, no.
OpenBSD, yes.
OpenBSD devs actually use thinkpads, and freeBSD runs on nearly nothing.

No longer maintaned

itt systemd defenders

Ah ok, thanks. What's the advantage of OpenBSD over, say, Linux?

BSD and Linux are the same shit. No difference.

Wrong. Their name is different.

wouldn't want an OS to drive me lmao

Yep. Why?

depends on the thinkpad. FreeBSD runs like a dream on my X220 but getting the trackpad to work on my T440 was intolerably bad. OpenBSD works great on both. I use FreeBSD for servers at work.
>tfw no systemdicks
feels good man

OpenBSD is focused on security, although I don't think it has a MAC system for some reason.
OpenBSD is undoubtedly more secure than Linux because of the focus on security, but hardware support is mediocre.
I tried out OpenBSD on a spare Pentium 4 machine I had lying around. It was pretty painless to get it installed with an encrypted root, but the package manager didn't have any dev libs that I wanted. also, when I unplugged my keyboard and plugged it back in, it wouldn't work anymore (muh security).

>but the package manager didn't have any dev libs that I wanted
Which ones?

I was looking for GLEW

openports.se/graphics/glew
this?

also is your keyboard PS/2? i've had that happen even on windows

Do those ports not show up when you query them with your package manager? I didn't try very hard to find it.

>is your keyboard PS/2
no, it was USB. I was switching between two computers because of a lack of computers.
PS/2 keyboards are typically able to reconnect if they were plugged in at boot; though, I've heard of some older hardware getting fried because of that.

you did use "pkg_info -Q", right?

yeah, that's how I was doing it. Couldn't find anything that would give me dev headers for GLEW.
It's possible that package just doesn't contain dev headers.

The glew package includes all the headers. That's common practice in OpenBSD.

i just tried it and got the glew as a result for the search. perhaps it wasn't a package when you did it.

also take note of this no longer do you have to install SDL2 and its headers separately

I definitely remember thinking that packages were missing their dev headers. That's odd. maybe I'll install it on a spare disk and try it again some time.

cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/graphics/glew/pkg/PLIST?rev=1.6&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
according to this they're here.

don't forget that third party headers are stored under /usr/local/include on openbsd, you may want to use the -I and -L flags when using GCC.

>you may want to use the -I
You have to add -I/usr/local/include?

sometimes, yes.

if you're compiling someone else's program and they use makefiles i THINK you want to modify CCFLAGS

this is what pkg-config was made for

yeah, this is definitely better than editing environment variables.

i wonder if every lib has pkg-config support at this point

MOAAAARRRRR

I guess all of my problems with openbsd were just me being a retard, apart from maybe the keyboard thing.
I guess I'll backup the OS on my terrible computer then install openbsd on it and see how it goes, at some point this week.

As far as a standard desktop, is OpenBSD particularly usable? Do you still have to use OSS? Are there any graphics drivers?

>I don't think it has a MAC system for some reason.
It does:

man.openbsd.org/pledge.2

youtu.be/F_7S1eqKsFk

>As far as a standard desktop, is OpenBSD particularly usable?
can run Xorg, comes with 3 WM's.
>Do you still have to use OSS?
you mean for the sound? openbsd has its own sound subsystem called sndio, but it emulates OSS for backwards compatibility.
>Are there any graphics drivers?
not for nvidia. somewhat old intel hardware seems to be your best bet. i think it supports up to kaby lake though?

blog.tintagel.pl/2015/01/03/code-rot-openbsd.html

openbsd.org/goals.html

openbsd.org/security.html

openbsd.org/papers/ru13-deraadt/

>As far as a standard desktop, is OpenBSD particularly usable?
you can run a desktop if you want, gnome/xfce/lumina/whatever.
>Do you still have to use OSS?
Everything in tree supports sndio natively afaik.
>Are there any graphics drivers?
intel and radeon

>Everything in tree
So like virtually nothing.

yeah, only stuff like sdl, mpv, audacity, gnome, pulse. who the fuck uses that

but does it have tuxracer!?

Thread's over

Stop these cancerous threads. The BSD shilling is too much.

>stop liking what I don't like
no

>>stop liking what I don't like
Every fucking time, kys shill.

>that font
he uses this font just to be an asshole, doesn't he?

>he likes what I don't like so he's a shill
no

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It's just "Linux"

Had better experience in haiku than free bsd

Didn't Linus refer to OpenBSD maintainers as "masturbating monkeys"?

lol yup

it was even the default font for the error pages in their httpd server but people got mad

>the only part of GNU that a linux distro requires is GCC, to build the kernel

You can even build certain kernel versions with clang now
lwn.net/Articles/734071/

BSD is a shitty 'daily driver' os and its not lighter or faster than Linux for your general browsing or word editing.

But its a nice idea and I do run it on my server

OpenBSD ran with similar memory consumption as Linux. Assuming all my hardware works with OpenBSD, why would it be worse as a daily driver than Linux?

Because memory consumption is not the only metric of performance, infact it doesn't tell you much at all.

It was alright when I used it but the lack of software and the general better experience I had on Debian Linux made me switch back to Debian. I might use it for a file server if I get/make a desktop or a laptop that I can install it on

What software was lacking?

Dogfooded v11 last year for about six months. Pretty good but really felt like where Linux was before Ubuntu came along. Got tired of having to fuck around so much so just went back to Ubuntu, but it was pretty good I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to learn about Unix.

Me, I already know Unix and have been using Unix and Linux daily for 25 years, so the novelty isn't there.

>Dogfooded v11
You're a FreeBSD dev?

No was scoping it for a deploy.

Then you didn't dogfood it

Cuckoff.

They removed it? Fuck, I'm not upgrading now.

It's generally worse than GNU/Linux in almost every way (other than ZFS and being cooler)

FreeBSD has support for my shitty comsumer laptop (Intel HD Graphics 520 iGPU and Intel 3165 wlan)
Hybrid graphics has zero support but doesn't work on Linux either for some reason

I think FreeBSD is planning on moving to a systemd-like init in the future

ipset, iptables and other tools I need for my job

those are part of the linux kernel

the bsd world has pf which is the best

this sweet summer child doesn't remember swapping to mechanical hard drives.

Ultra Wide LVD SCSI FTW