/glmg/ - GNU/Linux Minimalism General

This is a general for discussing software minimalism and minimal software for GNU/Linux.

>What is software minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Prompt delivery

Acceptable GNU/Linux distributions that aren't bloat

>Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (netinst)
debian.org/CD/netinst/
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get

>Arch linux
archlinux.org

>Void Linux
voidlinux.eu

>Alpine (Not GNU)
alpinelinux.org

>Useful links
suckless.org/rocks
harmful.cat-v.org/software/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux, this thread isn't for you. Please visit /fglt/.

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
archlinux.org/releng/netboot/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SysVinit
youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/void-live-x86_64-musl-20171007.iso
etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Arch linux
>systemd
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>It has never been a minimalist distribution.

A nice quote

"Minimalism = A very good thing ,too much of something is never good."

reposting what web browser does /glmg/ use? i have firefox on pic related currently but that certainly isnt minimal

Void master race present.

I need dat screenshot

Who is this system daemon?

>gentoo
>minimal
Choose one

This guy knows
How much storage is being used mate?

Personally, I don't think Debian and Arch should be included at all due to SystemD, but if you're going to include them anyway, at least link the net install for both.
archlinux.org/releng/netboot/

I use qutebrowser, you can't go minimal on a browser and not lose functionality

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch

>Using sysvinit instead of systemd in Debian Stretch
>Required steps
>1. Install the sysvinit packages: apt-get install sysvinit-core
>2. Copy inittab: cp /usr/share/sysvinit/inittab /etc/inittab
>3. Reboot the system: reboot
>Optional steps
>1. Install udisks2 and/or policykit if needed for graphical desktops or build them from Debian sources by applying a small patch.
>2. Remove the systemd packages, including libpam-systemd: apt-get remove --purge --auto-remove systemd
>3.Prevent apt from installing systemd-related packages in the future: echo -e 'Package: *systemd*\nPin: release *\nPin-Priority: -1\n' > /etc/apt/preferences.d/systemd

Wow, that was hard.

>minimal web browser
Support the NetRunner project
Join #Sup Forumsnetrunner @ rizon
Use NetRunner when is out

Dual boot becayse gayms. I can put it later though.

I thought a distro where you get to selectively compile packages with only the flags you want would be pretty damn minimal.

>adding arch back to the list after we mutually agreed that it's not minimalist in any way
wew

> arch
OP, what us wrong with you? Read: lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

This:
And this:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SysVinit

Who is Daniel Micay?

>OS
Gentoo
>DE/WM
Enlightenment
>Video/Music player
Enlightenment
>Image viewer
Enlightenment
>File Manager
Enlightenment
>Text Editor
Enlightenment
>Shell
Enlightenment
>Terminal
Enlightenment

I use Emacs for everything else

Living the meme.

Wayland or X11?

Qutebrowser and ungoogled-chromium

I have various reasons why i added arch. It just has a bit of bloat. I also want the archfags in this thread.

I know i know. It doesn't matter anymore. The only reason why i didn't add arch to the distro list is because i never used it personally. But these past few days i have been thinking about it. So, i added it because archfags can be useful in this thread

Disgusting

IRC channel: #Sup Forumsminimal on rizon

Added bloated ass Arch to the list of minimal distros so you can engage in the conversation I see. Fuck off

A promise is a promise.

OP here, yeah pretty much.

is debian + rtorrent + samba a good choice for a core2quad.. with fuck.. either 4 or 8gb ram, basically a file server/seedbox

Will Gentoo take me longer than 5 hours to compile on a dual-core Celeron at 1.6GHz? I wanna take the bait and use it because I want muh minimalism, but desu it seems like it would take way too long.

debian is a good choice for a home server yes

very minimal at least when compared to another machine that i have that runs win7 and uses 70% ram after boot while doing nothing.

gnome is minimal

Nope, you need to go more minimal. DE's are always bloat no matter what. Try i3. It's a good beginner wm

youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4

i recently compiled gentoo on a laptop with a 1.66ghz core2duo (im ), i cant give a proper estimate but i can say it definitely took more than 4 hours to emerge the /desktop profile @world set.
i did this at night and left it on overnight because it took so long so im not sure the exact time it took, i fell asleep ~4hrs in.

if you're going for truely minimal and want to reduce compile time you could use the default profile instead of /desktop but i was recommended /desktop as a gentoo newbie so i just picked that

i have tried it but its too keyboard dependent and i like using the mouse because its easier to do things with it on a laptop in bed also am too brainlet to remember tons of key combinations to do things that are just a simple click with the mouse.

>Why software minimalism
>Fewer bugs
Going for minimalism often requires you to do things like switch from glibc to musl, resulting in the executing code paths that have had less testing.
Also, compare software that uses the ALSA client to software that uses the Pulse Audio client. It's much easier to cause bugs with the ALSA client, despite muh minmalism.
>Better performance
This is not generally true. If you want things to perform well, you'll often need to do ugly things like having multiple code paths for SSE/AVX/NEON, adding code bloat. Adding support for video acceleration and horrific stuff like dbus also is not minimalist, but helps performance.
>Higher scalability
This is meaningless. it's entirely dependent on the software and it's features.
>Longer software lifetime
This is also meaningless. It's entirely dependent on the team maintaining it, the software architecture and future hardware demands.
>Prompt delivery
That's mostly based on the number of maintainers and the project's goals.

>Gentoo
Gentoo is only minimal if you use musl/uclibc + no multilib + openrc. I'm not sure if you can replace gnu coreutils either.

>Debian
This uses grub, glibc and systemd. This is not minimal. if you install something like XFCE, you get a ton of random shit that you didn't ask for.

Devuan at least uses sysvinit

>Arch Linux
Another glibc + systemd distro. It's good about only installing what you ask for at least.

>Void Linux
This uses glibc, but at least it doesn't use systemd.

This probably uses grub by default as well.

>Alpine
This is probably the only minimal distro you've actually listed. I've used it before and it's actually surprisingly good. has all the software I want.

As far as listing minmalist Linux distros, this post is pretty bad. It doesn't even mention puppy linux, which is probably the most famous.

>minimal web browser
You really can't do a minimal web browser. The modern internet is designed around chromium and firefox. I've tried a number of other browsers and even webkit based ones will fail to render sites like slack properly.

Apart from Elinks, which is not good enough for a lot of tasks, I haven't found any minimal browser that works well. Netsurf looked promising, even though it couldn't do much javascript, but I ran into a lot of crash bugs.

Qupzilla is more minimal than firefox and can do most things, but it's dependent on qtwebengine, which is massive. There's also no equivalent of umatrix for it, so you'll be running a lot of javascript that you don't need to run.

You're doing windows 7 wrong

>Try i3
i3 breaks a lot of applications. I've also run into a couple of cases where i3 would just hang and I'd have to kill it from a TTY.

XFCE is better for actual desktop use.

>Void Linux
>This uses glibc
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/void-live-x86_64-musl-20171007.iso

>These all use Systemd
It's like, 4 whole commands to swap it out with sysvinit

What's up with that inane glibc is bad meme?

it has only 1gb ram tho

Is there such a thing as gbu/linux maximalism?

What year is this?

Here is your bitch ass minimalism
Arch with OpenRC

ITS THE CURRENT YEAR, ENFORCED HOMOSEXUALITY, I AGREE WITH IT, IT'S EQUAL

>install distro
>manually turn your distro into another distro you could have instead downloaded
>make it impossible to install many packages from the default repo
Parabola has a big warning about using openrc. They also explicitly state that you can't install many packages without systemd.
the funny thing about parabola is that base-openrc wouldn't install when I tried it because of a dependency on systemd

Since systemd contains udev, cryptsetup and dbus, it's going to be a lot more than 4 commands to get rid of systemd and go on as usual. I've never managed to get any of those Arch Linux without systemd installers to work on a VM; every one of them had some bizarre failure like cryptsetup refusing to open the disk or the system hanging during initialization.

>bash
Thats bloat nigga

and here is your bitch ass minimalism with a DE

enough with the fucking bloat meme
maybe take care of that bloat in your fatass gut

Retard

I can assure you it took much longer then 4 hours and that is the problem with gentoo even with the default eprofile it takes hours to compile

What am I doing wrong user? I don't know how to use the USE flags. I just want to be able to install gentoo on a 16GB usb. The last time I tried it ran out of space and it takes HOURS to compile even with MAKEOPTS=-j#

I disagree with pulseaudio causing fewer bugs which in my experience was the opposite. But using alternative libs WILL break things.

Is anti-GNU bigots, closeted BSD shills ranting against anything GPL like

no him, but I installed Gentoo in a Pentium Dual machine in about 2 hours. Getting the base system installed doesn't take that long. I left XFCE to install overnight and everything was done by the time I got back.

>I just want to be able to install gentoo on a 16GB usb
This is why it's so slow. USB sticks are extremely slow which makes steps like patching and autoconf take forever. I tried building a gentoo livedisk on a USB once and it was at least 10x slower than a hard drive.

I don't know how you managed to exceed 16GB though. I have a full install with multiple kernels and it's only taken about 16GB. Delete any linux kernel sources you have after you've installed and tested the kernel. They take up about 1GiB each. Make sure you're not using multilib also.

>I disagree with pulseaudio causing fewer bugs which in my experience was the opposite
the code required to use the pulseaudio client is pretty simple, since you basically just have to hand it PCM data of almost any format and rate.
I was looking at the ALSA client documentation a while back and it looked painful. As far as I remember, you need to convert your audio data to an acceptable format before sending it to ALSA and the device enumeration looked like a pain in the ass.
Pulse Audio itself may have bugs, but the client is easy to develop for.

de? i want my shit to look this clean.

Are you serious man? It says so right there

>X mouse symbol
That's XFCE. Make sure to use the whiskermenu plugin over the normal application menu. It's better.

Disgusting.

Glad to see you guys finally stopped being homos about Arch. And just stopped being actual homos.

Please show me how firefox looks on alpine

GNU is bloated
Linux is bloated
Life is bloated

OP here, sorry for shitting on arch since the very beginning.

t.openbsd fag

Why. It looks the same as Firefox on any other platform

Shut up.

I heard some fags say, firefox doesn't work properly. Also is alsa working well for you?

this autism really takes me back to the days of my 286 with 1 MB RAM, thank god those days are gone, anyway have fun pretending it's 1993 still and any of this shit matters

Hey, i use firefox.

Is Openbox minimalist? If not, is there an alternative similar to it?

Preferably one that is not abandoned, although Openbox is also kinda abandoned it's still one of the best.

dwm. You can't rice it easily tho. I just stick to the vanilla version

I feel you user

>You can't rice it easily tho.
Yeah you can, most of the patches work fine and the ones that don't off the bat are fixed with a few moments fucking around in dwm.c

>Is Openbox minimalist?
yes

>If not, is there an alternative similar to it?
There are tons of light WMs. DWM for example.

>Openbox is also kinda abandoned
Have they stopped fixing bugs or something? Some projects just do everything they set out to and then don't do much.

>You can't rice it easily tho
It's fairly limited, but you can do a reasonable amount with config.h and patches. DWM is mostly just limited because it's designed to be. I wish it supported splitting like tmux does.

>open university email
>it takes 30 seconds to view the first email in my inbox
Those days aren't gone yet

I don't even know why people bother with patches or ricing it. Am i a retard for using vanilla dwm?

does /glmg/ still hate arch because of systemd

No, we don't hate arch.

t.op

No, it's just nice to add some extra functionality. I only use
>selfrestart
So I can edit it without logging in/out
>uselessgaps
Just looks nicer imo
>cfacts
So I can edit heights (same as MOD+h/l but vertically)
>bottomstack
Convenient to have in some situations

Stop baiting.

I see. The ONLY thing i do is have a date & time script for my dwm status.

Why is no one talking about LFS? If you want true minimalism...

Qutebrowser can't block the Ukrainian crypto miner js in Sup Forums ads. Firefox + uBO can.

Nobody wants to spend 7 hours compiling basic utils from source

But you'll spend hours compiling everything else... *Gentoo*

>7 hours
Are you from 2000? It takes less that 4 hours on modern hardware. More time takes the preparation

Of course it works and so does alsa

What the fuck did you do? firefox looks fine on my alpine/dwm install.

I tried qupzilla and quite liked it, but went back to Firefox ESR for the addons

Circa 2007 compiz flexy-windows and 3D cube desktop switching

The completely blank calendar is all part of the minimalist lifestyle

You understand how calendars work right? That was an off day with nothing important planned.

But you don't have an alpine/dwm install. You have Arch and i3 install.

Why shouldn't I just use solus?

Oh Kevin

Not him, just feel like it's both a functional yet good looking OS

I use alpine/DWM for a usb liveboot. Here it is in qemu. looks fine.

Here you go user's
etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html