Can we get a CPU cooler thread going? I'm starting to think all these large air cooled heatsinks more or less the same...

Can we get a CPU cooler thread going? I'm starting to think all these large air cooled heatsinks more or less the same. I'm building a black/yellow gaming PC and need a matching CPU cooler. I came across this:

amazon.com/Akasa-Voodoo-Universal-Contact-AK-CC4008HP01/dp/B00AZS043A

This is half the price it usually is and there's only a couple left, maybe I should go for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/WR9z8K
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I bought image related, and don't use it. People claim it to to be better than the nofen/nofan.

Just get a cryo mini or H7. Noctua if you're ok with playing a premium. Best installation kit, imo.

so cool owo

welcome to the yellow club

Usually coolers with no fans are massive and get in the way of other components. Fan cooled heatsinks are quiet nowadays so I don't really see the benefit of these.

Is that pure copper, or just copper colored?
TFW all I want is a huge multipipe pure copper heatsink.

I have a feeling my PC would end up flying away if I put that on.

Going to upgrade from my Cosair H100i first gen water cooler to a be quiet Dark Rock 4 or 4 Pro when Ice Lake comes out.

Sick of my pump noise and radiator fan noise. They just showed them at CES with a new easier mounting solution which was the only complaint.

The old dark rocks are a pain in the ass to put on, had to put them a few times on my friend's build

maybe i should get the new ones when they come out

Anyone used one of the newish EK budget A120/240 water cooling kits? Comparable in price of similar size AIOs.
Only drawbacks from what I can see are aluminium rad and heatsink (shouldn't be a problem if no copper is introduced) and a Chinese made pump instead of the more expensive Laing or D5 style pumps.

so weird question, but im not getting anything in the build a comp thread.
is mineral cooling viable for a gaming build? i heard it can be dangerous, if it gets over 50c, but air cooling rigs get up to 70-80c fairly often.

Yeah, same performance as noctua, cheaper and better looking (imo).

Yeah I just put one in. It's great.

what's with the anti-water shills lately, do they hate results?

I use this heatsink, it does the job pretty well.

Good heatsink > water

How well does this work user?

Mineral cooling is a gigantic pain in the ass. Don't do it.

I think it's more that most people (like me) hate the noise and the price.

Why get a water cooler with more noise and failure points when you can get a big air cooler for less. It generally only performs a few to a handful of degrees less than a radiator

Looks good.
I gather there's some who bought into the AIO meme with a cheap, noisy, underperforming unit who think all watercooling methods yield similar results... Having said that, apparently a decent AIO performs good with minimal noise.
I definitely see the merit in air, and a good tower performs exceptionally and is fairly easier to work with without having to worry about draining, refilling, leaking etc (not really a problem with soft tubing anyway). Oh, and bang for buck.

One question, where's your storage?

It's an 8700k running at 5.0ghz. under load I'm not going over 60 degrees. It's also super quiet. I'm waiting for volta to expand the loop

500 gb M.2 SSD as well as room for a full size HDD on the flip side of the case

But a custom loop is quieter

Noctua and Le Grand macho score on par if not better than some double fan AIOs.

That all with 1 fan and no pump noise, no water sounds, no permeation and unlimited lifespan.

An AIO will lose water to permeation and the pump will die in two years, a tower cooler will start rattling in 5 years, you just clean and lubricate the fan and it will serve you for years more.

That makes more sense. I assumed the M.2 but couldn't see it anywhere, was worried about the HDD mounts because I'm working toward a massive build with a custom loop in a Corsair 900D but I wasn't sure how I was gonna fit storage in once I took all the bays out.

Got a pic of that HDD mount on the back?

thermalright grand macho

good luck cooling the 7980x at 5ghz on air

>More fans, a pump and water gurgling is quiter than just a few fans

So I don't have one in mine but here's a pic. It can fit a 5.25" HDD

Believe it or not, it is.

>intel
Found your problem.

Assripper would OC with a Noctua tower no problems.

Pump is silent. Fans run at lower rpm.

Just installed a Noctua NH-D15S on my R5 1600 the other day. Stress testing for over an hour resulted in a high of only 55C (75F ambient) with a 3.95GHz overclock. I'm a cheapo and normally wouldn't buy such an expensive cooler, but I had crypto bucks from mining with my RX 480 early last year. Made just enough to buy the cooler and a G703 and then stopped brutalizing my GPU.

Looks good. Gonna buy one.

this is now an arctic shill thread
post quality coolers

4.225ghz on air?

3M N7000 fluid > mineral

Well I've had my Corsair H100 AIO since 2013 and it's still working, but I'm going back to air cooling for most of the reasons you mentioned.

Cheaper, more reliable and performs the same.

4ghz - 76C on air torture test
So there's some room for more before throttling.

Also even better if you would use liquid metal paste.

Tripper is godsent
>giant soldered on heatspreader for massive heat conductivity
Such fucking quality is crazy.

>It's an 8700k running at 5.0ghz. under load I'm not going over 60 degrees. It's also super quiet. I'm waiting for volta to expand the loop
I fukken did a double take when I saw the resevoir. It's actually a pretty neat kit, and I'm going to look more into it.

I'm kind off doing the opposite. I've had my NH-D14 since 2012, and it still performs great, as it should do forever more. Keeps my [email protected] fluctuating between 64-71°C on the hottest core with an ambient about 25°C.
Still looking to go with a custom loop to get even better, more consistent temps, lesser noise but also for aesthetic reasons. It's going to cost close to three times the amount for a new NH-D15 but I also figure a good loop isn't platform bound either, and can be adapted and expanded to different applications down the track which helps offset the initial cost.
I'll keep the trusty Noctua aside for a rainy day.
>using semen as a thermal conductor
It still surprises me fanboys continue to buy modern Intel products that are cooled with bodily excretion.

I see, fair enough. But won't you have to spend more money on the cpu/gpu blocks as well? For example I don't think the EK waterblock was the same for the 980 to the 1080 (might be wrong).

but where did psu?

BLACK & YELLOW
BLACK & YELLOW
BLACK & YELLOW
BLACK & YELLOW

Seems crappy with those weirdly shaped fan blades and all, but I guess it is yellow/black and will probably suffice.

I personally don't feel like making the internals of your computer "look nice" is worth it anyhow, so I'd pay more attention to function and noise. Or price.

GPU blocks, yep you're right. They're very specific. And EK makes a shitload of various GPU blocks for even a single model (say 1080) to suit either reference or Founders cards and a few different popular makes like Asus, MSI and Gigabyte as all usually have their own bespoke PCBs. That does indeed make the GPU blocks more or less disposable after the life of the GPU.
CPU blocks on the other hand aren't as specific and a lot of them can be configured from 775 sockets all the way up to the latest 1151 and 2066.

can you guys recommend a fairly cheap CPU cooler for me pls?
it's a ryzen 5 1600X, not planning on overclocking. here's my build if it helps :
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/WR9z8K

is the Cryorig airflow whistling a meme or true?

Mineral cooling is only viable in network systems.

Friends gave me his i5 3570
Overheats like a maniac
My stock cooler can handle an i3 but not i5? Is this even possible?

Is it overclocked? Maybe swap out the thermal paste and undervolt it if you're not looking to replace the cooler.

I've had OP's cooler for five years and it still runs well to this day. Great for over clocking and keeps my 2700k cool.

Depends on how you build it. A good D5 pump and 1 or 2 low FPI radiators are about the quietest you can make, with the added advantage of little noise increase under load.
In any case, it's very unlikely it's worth it. If you're gunning for silence at all times you'll need to watercool both cpu and gpu, and that will already put you at 500€+ for the loop alone. Unless you're running extreme overclocks or in a very confined case, you're better off grabbing aftermarket cpu and gpu air coolers, with matching case airflow.

Arctic Alpine 64 Plus.

Dirt cheap. About as good as OEM Wraith coolers

How are the Arctic fans? Been thinking about buying some since they apparently move insane amounts of air.

>apparently move insane amounts of air.

I have some, they don't. They just are good fans for how cheap they are, that's it.
If you want a suggestion, I just grabbed a set of Phanteks F140-MP's, vastly superior and no increase in noise.

Cryorig m9i
$20-22 USD

H7 owner here. Haven't noticed anything.

Should I get some Corsair SP white LED fans or just buy regular fans plus a LED strip from Amazon?

In his case it will be the M9a, but yes. I have an M9i cooling a 4790 and I'm impressed by how quiet it is, I never needed to the fan above 1100rpm to keep it at the 60'sC on load. It's not a OC cooler by any means, but it's more than capable as a stock cooler replacement.

I'd look at the Thermaltake riing 12 HSPs. They're rated at a higher static pressure (presuming that's what you're after) at a similar 1500rpm.
I remember reading they're made by the same manufacturer which is why the frames look similar, but I could be wrong.

There is a pretty big difference between all in one's and the ekwb stuff it uses a normal open loop pump

I know the difference between AIO's and Custom loops. But both require pumps, radiators, tubes and fans.
For me it's more about noise and price so I'm just going to get an air cooler for my next build

fucking disappeared during a photo

Did i fuck up bad if i bough evo 212

depends what cpu

it's a good basic cooler though

It's the most popular CPU cooler year after year. Pretty sure it works

I was thinking of putting my old 212 Evo on my 1060. It's ASUS turbo one, and I've noticed that the VRMs and memory have just pads on top of plastic on them. Any eyperience with this? Should I get a kit of those small heatsinks or will I be fine with them being uncovered? I don't want to glue anything and I'm not sure if hust TIM would hold them in place.
It looks like an ok bin, boosts to 1911 stock and has samsung VRAM.

>2000+17+1
>still using psu
are you retarded ?

Buy some more thermal pads and put heatsinks on them. You'll definitely not want to leave them bare. I'm presuming your heatsink will cover the memory as well?

Have $10 chink cooler, 2 pipes, single fan, using it with 140W AMD housefire and it does the job.

Web & light work, fans are at idle, gaymen 50%, hot summers with ambient +30C it does go to 80%.

Only thing I had to do is level and polish contact surface since metalwork finish was horrible.

>building a PC with a color scheme
Why? Where did this meme come from?

Cheap, long lasting, can use multiple fans sharing single pwm fan header and still retain speed control which is killer feature for me.

CR95-C +SSD + fanless 1050Ti + fanless Seasonic PSU masterrace reporting in.

>tfw have Arctic 240 and removed 2 of the fans to fit in the top of my case and it still keeps my CPU well within acceptable bounds

So is there such a thing as a good AIO liquid cooler? The idea of having the heatsink out of the way appeals to me, especially in tight builds.

He's using reverse capacitive osmosis you retard, can't you see the water supply tubes?

>have threadripper
>air cooling solution is limited to only two options
>noctua nh u14s vs arctic freezer 33 tr
>there's no comparison/benchmarks comparing the two
Ended up with a noctua, i mean, nobody bothered to even test arctics' tr4 cooler xept maybe for one or two people. Tho i really dig Arctic matte black heatsink and fans with white accent.