/wdg/ - Web Development General

Non-Archive Edition

>Previous Thread
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/
bento.io/
google.com - It's amazing, you should try it user

>Further resources
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/javascript/reference#breakpoints
youtube.com/watch?v=avwDj3KRuLc
blog.digitalocean.com/new-droplet-plans/
secure.php.net/manual/en/function.htmlentities.php
github.com/projectatomic/bubblewrap
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is there a big brain way to debug my JavaScript without just using a fuck ton of console.logs?

developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/javascript/reference#breakpoints

Excellent, thanks!

Angular 4 is shit. Web development in 2018 is a meme. Don't waste your time and creativity with it people...

write better javascript to begin with? it's not even that hard of a language.

I replaced all my console.logs with pino recently.
But that's probably more for observing the general operation of your app and not debugging some specific wip section.

i just started learning Angular2, and im kind of depressed of having to compile 250mb to put output a single html with 1 line of text, and it gets worse, why the fuck do i need 1 html per component ?

the more components i add the more html files i get this shit is fucking nuts and i kinda off find amusing to see so many jobs requiring Angular or react, when they could just not be lazy and as JS developers

when did shit went so wrong?

Have you tried React or Vue instead?
Maybe hyperapp if you want to go really minimal.

i just started, literally have less than 24 hrs learning everything i can, but yeah ill be moving to React, next, but i dont like they way web development is moving, the concept of these frameworks overcomplicates webdev stuff in order to make it modular (which we already had), doesnt make much sense to me, ill keep learning tho,

Well managing your files and splitting them up is always going to be "cleaner" and easier to maintain because all you need to look at and change is all in one small file rather than having a huge mess of shit all in one file.

You should be doing that with CSS and JS files anyway without angular so not much really changes on thew file management side of things

YIKES, okay Stallman

>i just started
jumping right into angular and typescript is quite something then.
>literally have less than 24 hrs learning everything i can
why is that, some interview coming up?

can you explain what you mean, when you say, that it was modular already.
As far as I know those frameworks in addition to bringing declarative rendering to the table also advanced the concept of building a page from a bunch of smaller components considerably.
It would be a pain to attempt doing similar things with ye olde jQuery spaghetti, or at least it's way easier to get lost in the code and mess up.

Your opinion on jQuery?

Is web development a career killer if you're a software engineer?

you don't need it anymore.
Either because JS itself can now do the same thing just as well, like element selection or because other libraries do a better job at a specific task, like axios for ajax requests.

Looking at creating my first CMS backed portfolio site. The guys at work recommend Statamic but I don't know any PHP yet. Is it a bad idea to use Statamic, which I gather it Laravel based, before learning some vanilla PHP?

what a stupid comment lol

I know a couple of guys who went from software engineering into full stack development. Now they struggle to get work that isn't web. This is in the North East UK though. May differ regionally.

React Native -

Apps arent going anywhere anytime soon

>>Sure kid, "you might not need jQuery". But, the first time you have to log real hours fixing a cross-browser bug that the jQuery team already took care of, I'm fucking firing you. Choose wisely.

who said that?

>jumping right into angular and typescript is quite something then.

What do you mean by this?

>why is that, some interview coming up?

pretty much i was asked about JS, Angular and typescript, so i have been getting into a workflow with them, seems easy enough but i still believe, it has more cons than pros (for the moment)

>can you explain what you mean, when you say, that it was modular already.

what i mean instead of having 1 HTMS 1 CSS and several JS is that now i have 450 files of who knows what, and several htmls, .ts and json files,and the spaghetti is still there but now copy pasted from CDNs in several HTML instead of one

How much self taught web dev does someone need to actually make money from it. I figure a decent knowledge of html and css means i could shit out static pages for small businesses, but what does it take to be hire-able on an entry level?

if you can put a website online (front end), you should be hireable

you are the person no. 25556325 asking that

It's not 2011 anymore. Get with the times, Pajeet.

Ok, kumar

When did everything go so wrong? Why isn't there a proper engine in a browser supporting a lot of languages and different implementations? Why do we always need to be backwards compatible up until windows xp?

youtube.com/watch?v=avwDj3KRuLc

What's it actually like to work as a web developer?

I'm concerned that if I manage to get a job I won't be able to keep up eventually because I don't have much 'passion' for webdev. Devs online seem so enthusiastic about new tools and w/e else whereas I don't really care. 1st world problem, I know

>What do you mean by this?
sry somehow misread the post as "just started learning webdev"

>now i have 450 files of who knows what, and several htmls, .ts and json files,and the spaghetti is still there but now copy pasted from CDNs in several HTML instead of one
multiple more specific smaller files is still better than one or few gigantic files.
The extend of what's in node_modules doesn't really matter since the require()/imports are all handled behind the scene.
Do you have some build setup with something like Webpack? There shouldn't be a need to add scripts from CDNs in your HTML if you can instead bundle those modules in your final JS output.

All those tools pretty much have the reduction of spaghetti somewhere at their core I think, so libraries aren't just sitting in the global namespace, but end up in a strict 'dependency-tree' if you want to call it that.
It's an issue that webpack is still hard to set up, though some alternatives are appearing as well, that might make the whole process more accessible.

well, what do YOU get enthusiastic about?

Training; martial arts, weightlifting, yoga, conditioning, diet, self improvement all that type stuff. I'm not trying to disparage web development btw

what's your daily job?

I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say online, especially if it's on like youtube/insta/their blog whatever. A lot of them will act like everything they do is part of an ongoing job interview because it kind of is, especially for the ones who are active on social media they often have their udemy courses or whatever to shill.
If you judged what someone's life is like based off their instagram then 99% of people would be living like kings, always doing everything perfectly and never having a bad day in their life.

Only you really know if you like it and only you will be able to decide if it's something you really enjoy, everyone is different etc etc

console.table

unit tests

That makes sense. Thanks

Part-time delivery driver. Got no real qualifications or work experience outside of construction sites so I just picked web dev to learn while I lived at home and worked part-time. I'm 24 now and really feeling the pressure to start doing something with my life

>too dumb for modern frameworks and libraries
>thinks he can reinvent the wheel from scratch better
Nigger be real: you'd just waste everyone's money and time.

You should make workout vlogs or become a personal trainer

Maintaining and expanding an Angular app for real estate selling company. Pretty comfy.

is it a spaghetti code already or everything is well structured?

>become a personal trainer

I have considered this. Maybe I will look into it again.

One thing I am really obsessive over is efficiency.
I spend a lot of time refining and shortening time on things (ironically). Prepping food, driving, being in the gym; efficiency is at least 50% of my life. Maybe I can turn that into a job somehow? Building a website is kind of enjoyable but making it faster, more attuned to customer needs etc. seems more my kind of thing. Web development is hard enough but even harder when you're competing with people who genuinely love it.
Maybe I'm just being idealistic because I haven't done it much. I've been learning a bit of python on top of HTML/CSS/JS so I like the idea of saving time with automation. Any thoughts? Thank you for your help
thus far

Everything is well structured, my team is very disciplined. Strict folder structure, naming conventions, linting, etc.

>go to website
>click link
>link looks like this
....default.aspx?pg=1&o=1&t=&a=&dd=&cc=&ff=&z=&cp=&nq=&p=&ar=&ca=

get on my level
psp/CSPR/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/SA_LEARNER_SERVICES.SSS_STUDENT_CENTER.GBL?1&PORTALPARAM_PTCNAV=UC_SS_STUDENT&EOPP.SCNode=HRMS&EOPP.SCPortal=EMPLOYEE&EOPP.SCName=UC_SELF_SERVICE&EOPP.SCLabel=Self-Service&EOPP.SCPTfname=UC_SELF_SERVICE&FolderPath=PORTAL_ROOT_OBJECT.UC_SELF_SERVICE.UC_SS_STUDENT&IsFolder=false

blog.digitalocean.com/new-droplet-plans/

fuck me,
just finished setting up 2 instances on vultr.

Neat though, that DO is matched on hardware now.

Is graphql a meme ?
Have you fags built apis with it yet ?
The idea sounds interesting but it looks like json soap

I have a JavaScript interview tomorrow. What should I expect bros

There is a meme, that it's always about arrays.
So maybe brush up on those builtin array functions.

also please report back if you can.
Actually really interested.

what's the output of this?

('ba' + + +'a' + 'a').toLowerCase();

So I have a vps with nice disk space,bandwidth and all. I would like to create a site that will be a simple picture gallery so me and a friend can act as admins and showcase there various photos we found interesting. I would also like it to be minimal but beautyful as in a bit modern. What would I need to achieve this ? I have experience with js and html but probably something more than barebones would help so much to at least get it running as fast as possible and then we can add functionality later.

Basically like a tumblr page but private hosted.

('ba' + + +'a' + 'a').toLowerCase()
('ba' + (+'a') + 'a').toLowerCase()
('ba' + (NaN) + 'a').toLowerCase()
('baNaNa').toLowerCase()
'banana'
[\code]

took me a bit because i thought superfluous + operators would do something but it turns out 1 + 3 = 1 + + + +... 3 in js, lul

Throws an error

secure.php.net/manual/en/function.htmlentities.php

No it doesn't.

see this user

Yeah I will

Hide ajax call from Network tab Inspect Element?

how can you do this in CSS / js ?

see pic related (it adds a button to see other tabs then thy aren't visible)

$('.log').ajaxComplete(function() {
clearconsole();
$(this).text('Triggered ajaxComplete handler.');
});

function clearconsole() {
console.log(window.console);
if(window.console || window.console.firebug) {
console.clear();
}
}

Thanks, I will try.

Yes it does that code is retarded you can't have 3 plus signs in a row

>you can't have 3 plus signs in a row

It must be my js compiler then I'm using an app I downloaded on my phone

Not even a php dev, Swift and iOS master race, but fixed that for you.

uninstall the app right this moment

Does anyone else find the Spring documentation opaque as fuck?

>Is there a big brain way to debug my JavaScript without just using a fuck ton of console.logs?
Javascript has had proper debuggers for years now

>Your opinion on jQuery?
avoid it if you can, only if you are dependent on a library using it. Generally if a project is small enough you dont need it, otherwise its better to go with more modern frameworks.

its fucking impossible to avoid it tough, you always end up with a library or two that either requires it or ships with it

we're in winter now.

actually did some cpu benchmarks if anyone is interested...
sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --num-threads=1 run

DigitalOcean - 5$ - 1 CPU
total time: 52.1082s

Vultr - 5$ - 1 CPU
total time: 31.6815s

Scaleway - 3€ - 4 CPU (ARMv8)
1 thread -> total time: 30.4963s
4 threads -> total time: 7.6464s

So DO CPUs are actually still not on par with Vultr.

Scaleway beats DO and Vultr even with only 1 core used and pretty much runs circles around them with 4.
They don't have extra features like builtin automatic backups and monitoring though. And of course only EU datacentres.

Is there something out in the wild already built that would expose an optionally sandboxed/chrooted filesystem to the internet (or to specific requests) and require an API key for limited/permanent access? Bonus points if it can serve symlinked files.

Have some files I want to share without having to give ssh/ftp access out, and a naked directory behind password doesn't seem like a very clean solution.

Use case:

Give link out to someone -> set expiry (or permanent access) -> they follow link -> permissions/access/expiry checked against the server (would be nice to store a token/key for automated requests) -> f/s access granted based on token/key -> able to list/pull files in directory.

nice

github.com/projectatomic/bubblewrap

maybe this?

From the wiki: "If you want a "career" in PHP you can "create" and set up WordPress sites for local businesses. But that is only an option if you have no self respect."

Spent too long a NEET, so I have no self-respect. I'd prefer to do this gig with Django though. Any tips on getting started? Is it lucrative still or is it a meme?

>inb4 reddit spacing. It's a bad meme

That's definitely more elegant on the sandboxing end of things compared to what I was going to hack together. Doesn't seem to offer API access to the containers, though.

I'm just getting around to learning javascript/web stuff and I'd rather not build my own API just yet, since I'd likely make it very insecure and inefficient. Couldn't really find anything via searching keywords, it's mainly unrelated shit no matter what I seem to search since I can't quite articulate what I want succinctly.

well that github link i posted was found by searching on the internet what you said

> expose an optionally sandboxed/chrooted filesystem to the internet

Yeah, I get it. I've been dicking around looking for something like LDAP, I guess, because I'm not exactly sure that's what I want to use to give token access to files/directories/whatever.

After working for 3 months (first job) for a terrible php agency I took a few years to contemplate suicide and now I want to try it again. Should I remove the reference from my CV pretending I'm a fresh inexperienced developer or is it still worth it even if I have to explain a 2-year gap?
I'm 24.

is that screenshot from the job you had?

>Should I remove the reference from my CV pretending

do you want to be paid less?

>is that screenshot from the job you had?
Nah pic is not mine. It wasn't THAT bad, but it was pretty terrible.
>do you want to be paid less?
I really don't care, I want to grab whatever I can take before I completely turn myself unemployable due to age.

>I took a few years to contemplate suicide and now I want to try it again.

Fuck man, I am 28 with no work experience at all, but would like to do something webdev related (backend ideally) after tinkering with some personal projects for some time now.
What am I supposed to say?

>24
> unemployable due to age.

if you don't have gaps in your employment history, no one cares,

Thanks mang

What if you do have gaps in your employment history?

>28 with no work experience

what have you been doing all this years?

Then the average employer will ask why. And your answer should always be family matters.

I binged that shit when I was unemployed. Its good tv.

Wut SQL dialect should I use for my project?
Thinking either mySQL or postgres

use an orm for your language like a big boy

I considered that as well but I want to practice my queries since I'm not great at it

Honestly, TypeScript is a pretty cool guy. Angular, not so much.

things just got fucked when I was younger
>bullied in school and barely got by with grades
>dropped out
>lost all social contacts I had
>withdrew from society and started having social anxiety/phobia
>tried school again (office-economy), which was a mistake
>helped out in a little charity-non-profit company for a bit
>neetbux
>various things here and there to continue surviving on neetbux

actually started working recently, but it's not enough to sustain myself.
Teaching older people about various PC and internet related things they are interested in & other tech-stuff they need (cable management, setting things up etc.)

>muh excuses

typical mindset. some people have it worse and still make it.

>just bee urself

no, don't just be you, be a better you

keep having that attitude, i'm sure it's going to help