cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/
wiki.osdev.org/Raspberry_Pi_Bare_Bones#Booting_the_Operating_System
web.stanford.edu/class/cs140e/
wally3k.github.io/
ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html
mythic-beasts.com/order/rpi
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Looking pretty on a shelf.

Pi-hole for my home internet. Very easy to setup.

seedbox/nas

Web server

Dust Catcher

OS development. Did this a few months ago:
cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/

Was okay, but arm assembler is shit and now I try to do that fucking tutorial in C.
Got the C-main() entry point from this here:
wiki.osdev.org/Raspberry_Pi_Bare_Bones#Booting_the_Operating_System

Also got myself a pi3 for this: web.stanford.edu/class/cs140e/

Not sure which of those two project I will keep on doing. Not sure either if I want to learn rust

i have a maxsonar ultrasonic sens0r hooked up to mine reading my oil levels. bretty gud

Wait I'm a brainlet, do you have to register a domain in order for your website to be public. Or could you just use the IP of your pi in order to allow anyone to connect to a site hosted on a pi?

Slowly building my lolitron waifubot 3000 around it.

both is possible. Kys, retard.

If your ISP gave you public static IP then you can set your router to forward any connection to certain port to that RPi and connect by IP from anywhere (unless firewall). Without static IP it's only for your local network.

As homebrew squeezeboxes for an open source whole home audio setup.
Either way/both. I put a lamp stack on one and used it as an intranet web development platform before uploading websites to shared hosting elsewhere.

I still haven't gotten one, but I heard you can use it to play some dreamcast games online again. I would use it for that because that just sounds sweet and fun.

Set up a home media server and used one as a retropie setup.

Great device for the pricepoint.

Kodi / LibreELEC

would use it for diy smart tv, but I don't have the tv to begin with

Scratching my prostate

Trying to make a media art project with it

i'm logging the data from a wheatherstation with my pi 2

Used it as a home (file) server and for movies.

Served me fine for 3 years. Nowadays I have a proper server so the thing's not used.

It's just sitting there collecting dust desu senpaitachi

Alexa-Pi + pentesting + whatever else I want it to do at the moment. The pi is very versatile if you know what you're doing.

>No micro center near me so I could get one for only 25 bucks
Fucking hate this shit and all the resellers charging 40.

Remote & scheduled Wake-on-LAN server.

Couldn't you just do this with an old pc? It probably would have been cheaper too.

>tfw pi zeros+ wifi are only $5
>tfw they're always in stock

Too bad they're a cash grab for cables

Sure, but a Pi is far less of an eyesore / easier to conceal.

Home Assistant + MQTT broker
Pi-hole

>Without static IP it's only for your local network
You can still setup a dynamic DNS.

>but a Pi is far less of an eyesore
A raspberry Pi is a modern peice of art
Seems like the cons of just using a cheap pc are outweighed by the fact that a cheap pc is more capable at doing things that a pc is designed to do. Fuck that though just use a Rpi.

Tor node at my uni

That make no sense whatsoever, there's no difference between a dynamic IP and a static IP in terms of exterior connection.

learning how to use linux and simple webbrowsing

Less power consumption

retropie for my brother, he loved it

I got mine for free

Ooh fancy. How do you like Stanford?

recalbox

Emulators
I use it to play games that I feel like playing on my TV

SFTP server. GoimDrive replacement.
Downloading huge files (or youtube-dl) maybe email in the future.

Mining

I have a few
1. Octoprint
2. Pi-Hole
3. Discord Bot
4. Automatically ssh's into my other boxes and updates them (this one is just for fun)
I got like 10 Pi B's for free, so i like messing with them, I don't really know what else to do with the other 6 Pi's so they're dust catchers currently.

used it for a web server while back. but it is collecting dust now

Gateway for routing device traffic through my VPN on the way out of the network. Good if you want a VPN automatically running on everything but a gaming PC.

Are there versions/models/generations of pi that I should know about? Like, maybe the newest generation has better performance or something? I want to get into raspi to make mini home server.

Premium Dust Collector

Using it has a gateway for *anything* will slow down your connection and/or introduce latencies. It's even more noticeable on fibre/low ping/fastpath connections. Placing OpenVPN on them is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Aarch64 is promising, but raspies are a joke.

Pick any Raspberry competitor. Like, any. You may start comparing on Openbenchmarking's site

>Pick any Raspberry competitor
Why? Is raspberry bad?

It's a toy, expect toy perfomances

>ctrl+f 'nextcloud'
>0
the fuck?

well, nextcloudpi with ddns at duckdns
so I got google drive equvalent except its free and 500GB

got samba set up on my pi zero and it ferries files around the lan and any VMs with network acces
my pi 2 is collecting dust, but has retropie on the sdcard (haven't played a game in weeks)

>learning how to use linux
you could have used a VM

people only use the Pi because of the widespread support (in terms of operating systems and software) and documentation (it's easily the most widely documented one by far)
I'm fairly sure that literally none of its competitors are worse in terms of spec.

seeding my anime torrents 24/7 while i'm at school

Kodi.
I'd get another one for a project, but there's nothing I need done DESU.

ESPRESSObin looks like it make a decent router especially considering it supports vanilla linux and doesn't even have GPU or Video decode built in.

pihole

cool, how?

Generally, old PCs use a lot more power than an SBC, and they tend to be unable to handle hard drives larger than 2 TiB, which isn't a lot for a NAS.

You need to forward port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS in your router to your pi. You should also assign a static local IP to your pi's mac in your router's setting, otherwise it may have a different IP assigned to it the next time you connect it, while ports 80 and 443 will still be forwarded to the old IP, meaning shit won't werk.
You need a dynamic DNS if you have a dynamic IP address. There are free ones available, and you can also use them to get an address like mypiserver.dynamicdns.com, negating the need for a proper domain.
If you want an actual domain, you can get a free .ga, .tk, .ml, or .gq domain on freenom.com, but that site is kind of shady. You should use your domain in conjunction with a dynamic DNS, as that is not handled by freenom.

Forgot to mention that you'd need to run your webserver as root to listen on any port

>and they tend to be unable to handle hard drives larger than 2 TiB, which isn't a lot for a NAS.
You're going way too far back in time with PC hardware. You can get a phenom 2 x4 build for $50, and those can handle ecc ram, and 2tb+ hard drives. That is already cheaper than getting a pi, and configuring it to accept hard drives. Cheap enough to offset whatever savings you would get from electrical costs annually for 5 years by using an underpowered pi board.

>cheaper

no, because power consumption for one, and not to mention as others have said wanting a whole PC tower just to run a DNS server is retarded. A Pi (or a cheaper equivalent SBC) is much easier since it uses flash memory and is silent, and can only use a maximum of 10w (5V@2A), which in that use case would never even use over a couple watts.

Look at this
Pi's are just dumb as fuck.

I literally just said it about the DNS server part, you can argue all you want about the NAS shit. I use a Xeon server for that myself but arguably if all you want is network Adblock, just get an orange pi zero or flash your router with ddwrt/openwrt/LEDE instead. An orange pi Zero is like $9.

I assumed we are talking about using old PCs people have lying around.

PIHole with these block lists wally3k.github.io/
Works great.

if i got a static ipv6 address can i use that instead of dynamic dns for my dynamic ipv4 address?

You can, but I wouldn't recommend doing it. Some people may not be able to view your site if its ipv6 only, because their ISP or router may not support it.
Btw the dynamic DNS I was using is duckdns, it's pretty easy to set up.

Pi is much smaller and uses significantly less power.

Webcam livestreaming

I have an SBC running a NAS hooked up to a small UPS. The last time I lost power it ran for an hour. It stopped because I couldn't tolerate the UPS' beeping any more and shut it off. I have a cubietruck gathering dust. I wish I had a practical use for it.

yeah if you got one and running it 24/7/365 is not an issue for your powerbill, the pi uses 5v at 1.5 A max, mine (zero w) uses around 5v at 0.8 A

Ive been trying to make a Mame cabinet. There's a lot of options: Retropie, Recalbox, Lakka, Arcadepunks images
It all takes too much effort when there's no built in wifi. 60-in-1 boards are about the same cost and way simpler.

I'll make a console emulator eventually.

>I assumed we are talking about using old PCs people have lying around.
I pictured just grabbing a cheap desktop similar to image related, or even better.

What is the total cost of buying a pi, and have it ready to use as a nas? I mean I think that it's pants on head retarded, but it's your life, your time, money, and effort, so you're free to make dumb fucking choices in your life.

Penis-Hole, its like pi-hole but instead of blocking the ad it replaces it with a random image of a penis

>raspberry pi as a media server
lmao watching 480p rips?

$35 for the rpi

>I literally just said it about the DNS server part, you can argue all you want about the NAS shit

You couldn't find an old thinkpad? I bought 2 thinkpads for $60 each, and they seem like perfect candidates. Shit they even come with battery back ups.

Implying that yo can get a pi for @35 dollars shipped, and you forgot power supply, and how are you going to connect hard drives to the pi? Are you going to get a shitty extra adapter for sata, or are you just going to use the onboard usb?
Are you going caseless if not that costs a little extra.
Fuck me it doesn't look like it's really that cheap anymore. Especially considering it's overall processing power, available ports, and bandwidth capabilities.

You might also need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor if you don't have them laying around (minus 2 usb ports when you usethe kb+mouse).

TFW your reaching $150, and effort trying to jerry rig some piece of shit that is less powerful than your phone.

>instead of blocking the ad it replaces it with a random image of a penis
this reminded of an old classic of the interwebs

ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

It was a classic in MITM and hacking before millennials were a thing. Now any kid attempts to do the same with apt-get, Kali and tutorials they found in Google
There's nothing more to hack, or better: the only stuff left to hack is either inconceivably autistic, or difficult, or boring. Fun isn't allowed any more

>literally on amazon they sell 35$ free shipping
>+$5 for a case
>+$5 for a microusb charger
We're going for low price, so we don't even need sata. w0w h00ly shit d00d u rly pwned me by making it $10 more expensive fuck

>You might also need a keyboard, mouse, and monitor if you don't have them laying around (minus 2 usb ports when you usethe kb+mouse).
Yeah sure, only include these when we're talking about the rpi, its not like you would need these with an old pc.

alexa is shit

Buyers remorse I take it?
So you put together a crappy server that could barely do anything for the price of
>image
or a used think pad, but you want to feel like you were a good little blopitor from your favorite sublebbit by posting about some garbage you hamfisted together even though you know just how retarded it was.

Here let me upvote your life.

My pi projects:
>Slapping ridiculous heatsinks onto it, including some piped and finned north bridge ones, to see how cool I can get it. My best temp was 38 degrees after an hour of sysbench prime test
>Automated my snake enclosure. Temp sensor in each corner, one in the water. Water heater, fogger, heat pads, heat lamp, and ceramic heater all on outlet box controlled by the pi.
>Retropie setup. Got all fancy with 5000 games and then realized I'd never play them

Other than that it's really not a spectacular piece of machinery.

Using it to control the rain system for my insect containers. Works really well since it really is just a software clock controlling several pumps, but I can remote into it from my main PC and set up rain-patterns and it alerts me when the water level is low.

Use this shit as Publisher/subscriber for data acquisition.

Or that's the idea.

holy shit, I've just noticed that ‒ 12 years later ‒ this guy is hosting Raspberry Pi servers in UK
6£ starting
(for a fucking Raspberry w/ NFS storage)
mythic-beasts.com/order/rpi

P R E M I U M D E D I

dust collector

Got a free AIO machine with dead mobo and replaced the internals with it

Literally connected it to a dildo to let people on the internet control. Because like op, I'm a huge faggot

Working as media center, it just lack a hub to make the webcam, wifi, touchscreen and card reader to work, otherwise the speakers, usb ports and audio output works just perfect

Got one for Christmas, still looking for an actual use. Looked up pi-hole but put that on an Ubuntu VM and it's more stable. Works great BTW, you should check it out.

Got a 3.5" display for it and want to play with either wifi crap or something. Not sure yet.

Looking for good ideas.

>not wiring up 99 rpis to make your own gf

>Literally connected it to a dildo to let people on the internet control. Because like op, I'm a huge faggot
The only useful thing that could be made with a raspberry pi/

why would you use such a large case

I'm working on open sourcing the thing. So others can know the joys of DIY teledildonics

The PI is inside this AIO PC I got that pc for free because the owner didn't wanted to get it repaired and opted to trash it.

If you are actually doing anything besides sticking some Linux distro on it and calling it a day, its not great. Expecially the Pi3 , where the broadcom chip doesn't even have a proper reference document. If you wanted to toy around proper and learn something , I think the beaglebone is a bit better in that regard.

Discord bot written in C#

I plan on embeding one into an old crt I have laying around. Just want to do it for shits and giggles really.