Nvidia offers free GPUs to Linux people for them to fix their shit

>Nvidia offers free GPUs to Linux people for them to fix their shit
>gets turned down

This is why Linux is shit and will never be on par with Windows.

Other urls found in this thread:

drewdevault.com/2017/10/26/Fuck-you-nvidia.html
blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/09/to-eglstream-or-not/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

KWin is following standards, nvidia isn't.
Either nvidia merges a patch to kwin and wayland with their eglstreams crap or nothing gets done.

Why sell out open source standards for so little?

this

nvidia is breaking all conventions, then offers a few gpus to help "development", when it's actually nvidia that needs to fix things.

note how they don't offer any money to FOSS developers for their time, just a few "free" gpus.

also, aos,

Nvidia also likes to force their own standards.

GPUs are better, they are worth money themselves and generate more money for you.

Tell nvidia to stop being dickbags and support Wayland properly.

linux cucks are just lazy and incompetent what did you expect?

You're gonna have to try harder than that, favela monkey.

It's Nvidia's fault they don't follow standards and instead try to force their shit on everyone's throat.
I'll never buy from those shady fucks anymore.

/thread

Wrong, Linux shits is breaking the standards

Nvidia is the standard, if you don't follow the Nvidia standard, kill yourself Linux shits

This!

this, but unironically.

>linux cucks are just lazy and incompetent what did you expect?
No, you only say this when an amd product is fucked on linux.

You idiot, you can "follow standards" and still have bugs in your code that leaves users in the dark about where the problem is. Which is what OP is about.

>Intel gets BTFO by courts and AMD
>meanwhile Nvidia shitstomps AMD
They need competition so fucking bad

Not for a FOSS developer.
A developer who is working on such a project will already have the hardware required, and extra hardware doesn't help. What does help is cash, which offsets the time investment into development which would otherwise be unpaid.

No amount of cash will help Nouveau since Nviida themselves don't wanna distribute firmware

>company "investing" in something that costs them money and makes them practically no return
for what purpose?

We don't need free GPUs, you retard. We need comprehensive hardware documentation and open source drivers.

FOSS devs are always asking for hardware donations though, should they not? Are they taking in all the hardware just to throw it away for us?

Fuck nvidiaids and their spaghetti blob driver. Support AMD and their FREE DRIVER.

(OP)
>FOSS devs petition nvidia to open their hardware specifications and drivers to the public
>gets turned down
>Nvidia instead decides to try to make themselves look like the good guy by offering cards for free
>gets turned down
FTFY

>shitstomps

AMD products are fine, looking forward to the AMD APU coming out next month. In the real world it makes no difference if your 1080p game runs at 66FPS vs 80FPS.

Nvidia needs to stop this shit, seriously, KDE has a lot of issues that happen only on nvidia graphics with proprietary drivers due to them saying "fuck you" to standards and expecting everyone else to do things they way they want them.

EGLStreams are a huge example of this shit, I really hope devs tell nvidia to fuck off and don't bother adding support for that crap, see: drewdevault.com/2017/10/26/Fuck-you-nvidia.html

The problem is clearly not KWin if it works perfectly on AMD and Intel graphics drivers.

>pls fix our shitty code
Looks like Nvidia is going the Bethesda way.

And unlike Bethesda drones, Linux devs aren't having any of it.

That (((solution))), holy shit.

The time investment it takes to make a proper driver far outweighs how much you'd have to work to save up to buy whatever hardware they sent them.

Also nVidia is a pretty shitty company that doesn't want to adhere to standards.

More from KDE telling nvidia to fuck off: blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2016/09/to-eglstream-or-not/

nVidia shills out in full force!

>In the real world it makes no difference if your 1080p game runs at 66FPS vs 80FPS.
Literally what? If you'd said "66FPS vs 68FPS", or "120FPS vs 135FPS", then maybe. But there's a difference between 66 and 80.

Sure, it's not as dramatic as between 60 and 120, for instance. It's not something everyone will immediately notice at first glance. But when playing a fast-paced game (or any game requiring fast reactions), it can easily end up making a difference.

A gaymer just lowers his settings if he wants more fps.

So you're admitting it does make a difference.

I'm not defending nvidia in any way, and in fact I'm not even up to date on the latest performance comparisons so I don't know if what you're saying is in any way accurate or not, BUT if it IS accurate then it's a big, tangible difference and a lot of people will choose their purchase based on that.

I'm not the person who claimed that it doesn't matter.

Oh ok. You're not wrong then. That person is.

Chances are that "free" GPU comes with a big ass contract preventing resale or even transfer of ownership. It probably has to be given back to NVidia at the end of a period

>t.madfreetard

that's some dank NewSpeak

Probably a couple of gt210s or 610s, no one would say yes to that.

If they can't stick to their cause, why don't FOSS developers just quit?

If you have money for a 120hz screen, you should have the hardware to run it.

Which is exactly my point? People will then buy nvidia hardware to run their 144Hz screens better, and AMD will continue losing market share, leaving nvidia in a position of quasi-monopoly and able to do whatever jewry they like

So run Windows for your gaymes. Problem thefuck solved.

I have a Ryzen CPU and AMD GPU, I would switch to Debian today if Overwatch would run on it as well as it does on Windows. Hopefully I can do that in the near future.

all 4 linux users? no one fucking cares

You can't possibly know how many people would run Linux if they could. That's not something you can see from market share stats. Lots of people know about Linux but they might not be able to use it yet. Windows has been a known crashing meme for decades now, there are certainly people who would try Linux if their programs would run on it. Especially younger generations who are not yet at a stage where they cannot learn anything new anymore.

Try wine with Gallium Nine patches.

"Rather than just opensource the software and allow the community to maintain and fix it's issues, or hire a full dev team and maintain/fix/testbench our own software, we would like to send the opensource community a few shit components so they can do their own testing, collect all the data, and then send it to us to save us the money of actually testing our own software/hardware."
FIFY

>>Nvidia offers free GPUs to Linux people for them to fix their shit
>offer $1,000 GPU so that Linux developers can do $250K worth of work for Nvidia for free

The opensores power, my friend!

t. IE6 user

Nvidia needs to adapt to standards, not the other way around. They're trying to establish full monopoly by forcing their proprietary shit.

>unironically testing and developing for nonfree, gpl violating shitware.

Why the fuck should they? nouveau I can understand, but wtf does nvidia expect?

>muh proprietary
kek

Instead of giving free gpus they could give a little of help to the nouveau driver, what a load of idiots

How about these fucking assholes just give the nouveau team the god damned keys to actually run the cards at their native clockspeeds.

Cocksuckers.

But the standards are fucking broken.
Half the things that Nvidia does is because they have their own backend. I don't want to give Nvidia credit since they're a shitty company themselves but come on, X11 blows and is so far behind the times at this point.

It's about wayland, not X11.

>we need their developers to cooperate with us!
>what no we won't provide any way for perfectly willing developers to fix our drivers and we will actively cripple attempts to work around our arbitrary limitations

I guarantee if nvidia offered to give these freetard devs access to their proprietary drivers they would still refuse to fix anything. Instead they would just start whining about how nvidia drivers need to be open sores before they will do anything. Not to mention if the fretards did have access they would leak the drivers to the net in a matter of days because they are all autistic communists.

>hey goyim, wanna fix our proprietary piece of shit for free?

Why the fuck should they? Would you work on something for free if you couldn't decide who got to use it?

what is this appallingly low quality post

What incentive is there for Nvidia to support these OSes?

Why doesn't NVidia simply support fucking GBM?

user, in the real world is matters whether my games run at 4k 60fps or 1440p 60fps

kwin is a piece of shit.
Ive used it with nvidia AND intel hd graphics. kwin is broken and has been broken for years. I have to "alt+shift+f2" "kwin_x11 restart" like clockwork.

I heard that it might be easier to keep their code closed using EGLStreams compared to GBM. Their official explanation is that EGLStreams fits better into the way their current code is structured.

The truth.

>truth
nah, that's just shit pulled out of your ass

>Hey goym make all your proprietary code public and we might get around to making it work with our software, no promises :).
Do you want nvidia to do what amd had done and make an entirely new and inferior driver stack so the open sores community has some shit to roll around in?

Your goyim meme is misplaced. How's your first week here?

Where's the lie?
Implying most open sores zealots are not jewish.

>i don't know how the jew insult works
can you please just go back to red.dit? you're only humiliating yourself

I hate Linux freetards most of the time, but damn, it's nice to see them having standards and not selling out.

>If you are calling anyone but intell and nvida jewish you are doing it wrong and it does not count!!
>>>r/amd

But you literally have no idea how the insult works. You really have to go back.

>AMD APU coming out next month

Go back to fixing x on your arch install faggot, men are talking here.

How embarrassing. You're the first to hurl a childish insult and, when called out, claim that you're a real adult talking about adult things. You're obviously an underage fag who has just stepped out of red dit for the first time.

Its not like anybody who uses linux would use nvidia so why would they care?

it wasnt even 5 minutes after I posted that kwin shit itself again. Lost title bar, window boarders, ability to move windows, and ability to change a window to the front.
intel hd graphics, nvidia isnt usable by the host at the moment.
running kwin _x11 restart fixed the issue, but Im sure this is intels fault aswell huh

Not him, but come on.
Men do not talk here.

Samefagging this hard instead of acknowledging that this linux dev is being a whinny faggot.
What would Nvidia have to do to make this faggot happy?

FOSStards are cancer

Nigger what?
Check the post counter newfag.

Seriously.

can't wait for wayland to fuck off and die already.

we'll still be using x and nvidia drivers in 2028.

stop trying to reinvent the wheel kiddies

So basically NVidia admits they are a bunch of niggerfaggots.

>mr 60Hz

Sure thing headshot.