Is overclocking a meme?

Is overclocking a meme?

obviously yes
>pay hundreds for overclocking equipment
>get 3% more FPS
fucking wow

Yes, making your computer faster by clicking some buttons is retarded and a jewish ploy

Yes.. You maybe do it when you're young to feel like you're on the bleeding edge of compute but as you get older you run stock desu.

for cpus? yes
for gpus? no

This. I now value stability most of all.

>3% more FPS

This, just buy the latest generation CPU's goy!

It can be nice to have the option. I've not got much experience with CPU overclocking but with GPUs, it can be the few extra frames you need to smooth out an experience. You're not going to be revolutionizing things but you could be giving yourself a slightly nicer experience. The best example I can think of at the moment would probably be with VR stuff. A little extra power can be the difference between good enough performance hovering around 90 frames and a locked solid 90 frames.

Yes. I bought a locked cpu this time aroind because OC has wasted enough of my time in the pasr

>making your computer a housefire by slowly incrementally changing your multiplier in bios and benchmarking it for 5% gains is a jewish ploy

This only makes sense if you are buying locked CPU's to save money (and a non-enthusiast motherboard).
If you are buying unlocked CPU's, you're wasting money if you aren't overclocking.

>Is overclocking a meme?
Yes, and no.
For gaming I can see where it would make the difference in some games, and make them playable. I had a phenom 2 that played arma 2 like shit until I overclocked it to 3.9ghz, and then I was able to get a steady 30fps online with a 1080p monitor.

Exactly. Stability is key and means something to me now that i'm older. Also, the hassle of tuning to get a small % gain doesn't appeal to me anymore. I did OC my ryzen but thats because it was a click of a button, proofed, and was stable on a stock cooler doing so... was a super mild OC.

Correct

>is free performance a meme?

Correct.
See :
Nothing extreme though. If it doesn't sit stable at a certain OC setting on the first 2 trial burn ins .. its headed back towards stock.. and no, fuck AIOs/water

Certain things overclock better than others. For something like a 2500k you'd be a fool not to.

Moderate overclocks that don't take a million years of tweaking to find are not a meme. The performance is there, take it. And before someone says "overclocking tax", k series processors have higher base clocks, so that's a disingenuous argument. I have my 6700k at 4.6, never goes over 80 at full load. Took me a day to make it stable.

For older CPUs it can matter if you still want them to keep up with modern software requirements, for example the 2500K benefits massively from an overclock.
On a modern chip it's almost irrelevant as current CPUs are already pushing close to their limit even at stock. If you feel like you want to OC, do so up to before the point where you would need higher voltage for stability and stop. Increasing the voltage is harmful long-term.
For GPUs it doesn't matter much either as they are often limited by cooling capacity and will sooner throttle from overheating, but keep boosting on their own when not.

>Asus Z-87C doesn't give me any real OC options
>just XMP and "performance mode"
>mfw 4.1-4.2GHz on 4770k with a single click

i just overclocked my display to 72Hz, so no.

>free

In the late 90s and early 2000s no it was not a meme.

Currently yes it is.

overclocking

the fucking thing Sup Forums never ever learned properly and consistently spews shit

a x2 3800+ that i have is still running at 2.8Ghz with a 0.05v bump since 2005 iirc pretty much 24/7

overclocking benefits any processor, if you can squeeze more juice out of it theres nothing wrong with doing it provived you do it right

also, any processor can always be pushed a bit more, some simply can give you a bit more than others, and thats where knowing which ones to bet comes into play

i will never ever pay top dollar for the top of the line cpu when I can get pretty much the same performance with a lower one

and never had one die on me, and i've been overclocking all my processors since i learned i to do it with a pentium II

It must have some kind of setting to chose fsb

prime95 24 cycle

when you get to a stable frequency, if it passes, it's stable

that much for that argument...

The only reason Sandy Bridge is somewhat relevant is because they overclock so well.

my ten year old xeon x5470 says no

I get 70 more fps in csgo, 3.7ghz vs 4.4ghz i7-3770k. So not complaining there since 64 player servers drop down to 50 fps or so, I get 55-75 instead

That brainlet meme surely proved him wrong.