Xfce or mate? I've been using xfce for a while now wanted to try out mate for a change...

xfce or mate? I've been using xfce for a while now wanted to try out mate for a change, the only thing I don't like about mate is the dual panel layout and the fact you can't move panel icons around easily without right-clicking selecting move.

Xfce, definitely. Mate is a mess. Xfce wins in every category, most notably ease of use and user experience.

Xfce 4.14 fucking when

Soon

Check out budgie. It's the best of both worlds and just werks.

If you really need a DE instead of a WM, xfce is the best option
stop larping

dwm

Xfce is very nice. I just use Cinnamon at the moment but I still installed Thunar and made it the default file manager.

Xfce is more customizable, from my experience.

with mate, can you get rid of the bottom bar?

>Xfce
How do you pronounce this? Took me 5 years just to pronounce "Linux".
jigabyte

Ecks eff see ee.

ex eff see iiii

x feces

i've been using gnome this entire time and have never used anything else. I think it's time to change to something else for knowledge's sake

Yes, and you can add a window list to the top panel.

dwm

Yes, you can have anything between 0 and 9001 bars in any position you want.

What exactly make Mate a mess?

I actually like budgie as it hides away really nicely. Then again I was mostly using unity before that.

he is a brainlet.

>cinnamon
meme

Not as big of a meme as Gnome is

Cinnamon is pretty much the best DE there is. You can customize stuff freely like in XFCE but it's using modern software so it doesn't have ancient bugs like tearing.

bump

Being GNOME based

Pronounce it as crossface...thats how i do it

What about Xfce + Kwin

xfce, MATE and Cinnamon are pretty much the only good 3 DEs availability for Linux. xfce and cinnamon are minimal in design and bundled apps, XFCE being less resource intensive and a bit more customizable while Cinnamon is modern, had more eye candy and features. MATE is somewhere in the middle between the two on performance but features a full set of desktop applications so that's nice.

just had this same crisis, trying them both. MATE has some good applications (engrampa, atril, caja) but ultimately xfce has better customization and is a little more modern (buttons in notifications) while still being low on resources and having that classic feel

Thunar has become a bug ridden piece of shit. It used to be great.

just go with gnome

xfce hands down.

>MATE and Cinnamon
>Good
No. The only good DEs are KDE and Xfce.

Plasma

Neither. Install Lumina. It's not GTK dogshit.

This

I use KDE primarily, but if I had to change I'd go with XFCE.

The only point at which you shall switch from KDE to XFCE is if it becomes buggy enough or you have to work on a machine that's maybe a decade old. I use KDE on X220 and this shit is flawless.

literally every time i open the widget browser on plasma something bugs out and fucks up

Which distro? I found that Fedora had shit crashing all the time and Arch didn't.

arch as it happens

Currently using xfce on arch and loving it, the customization is awesome and it uses minimal resources