KDE IS THE BEST DE

Are you using the greatest current DE, KDE?
If not, why not?
GNOME cucks, don't talk shit until your DE does full GPU scenegraph acceleration.
strawpoll.me/14871593/r

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Usj5kPF0iIM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do you care about which free software people use? Are you a shill are something? My favorite is Fluxbox btw. It suits my needs and looks lean.

he wants to drive developers onto his platform

Hi GNOME shill
I'm trying to help people by alerting them to how good KDE is in 2018. Some user checked the memory usage a few weeks ago and XFCE actually uses *about the same* as KDE, despite looking much worse and not having basic GPU acceleration and compositing out of the box. Shabby.

>Hi GNOME shill
Err, you do realize that there are more then two DEs, right? How is liking Fluxbox shilling for gnome? I hate gnome. It's bloated as fuck.

because i get a 20% fps drop in games on nvidia.

We don't need you to educate us, fa.m Not every one is from Burgerland.

KDE is garbage.
I installed it this week because XFCE is a little glitchy on my office worstation.

After a couple hours I uninstalled and went back to XFCE, with glitches and all.

Good to see you mentioned what problems you had other than whinging like a fucking dickhead
I'm from Bongland, not really much better than Burgerland though.

>full GPU scenegraph acceleration
Cool unmeasured meme-tech OP

Stop caring about other people's DEs. Pick your own favorite (or even better: regularly try something different because the "best" DE is a function of time) and stop being an insecure faggot that needs his choices validated.

>meme-tech
It's real though.
youtube.com/watch?v=Usj5kPF0iIM
Call me back when GNOME can do this.

It really is the best DE
Dolphin is a million times better than Nautilus, and everything actually looks good now

I'm not here to validate my choices. I'm here to educate people who don't know that KDE became the best desktop about 2 years ago.
It's a commonly-held belief these days that KDE is still shit (and it did used to be shit around KDE4) but it's had a massive leap forward.

>Xfce
>looking worse
Pic related. Xfce looks great.

Same for AMD. KDE causes performance loss for some reason.

Clean my toilet, Dejan

not enough clocks

0 arguments

>Same for AMD. KDE causes performance loss for some reason.
probably shitty vsync implementation. every option only make it worse.

But that's not how you spell Lumina, OP.

I miss Konqiposting

>I'm not here to validate my choices.
>It's a commonly-held belief these days that KDE is still shit

So, why do you care about how we think about your DE of choice if you don't need your choices validated?

KDE at least look like a real PC not a smartphone like GNOME, ol´good was great but this new look totally kill me, KDE is comfy, looks great, and works perfectly

>m-muh performance
OK user, sure

muh non arguments

>KDE at least look like a real PC
This is different for anyone. For some a GUI has no place on a PC. For others a PC is a powerful tablet. Your whole post is a preference. This is okay but subjective and not debatable.

katie is a kutie

I plan to make the change. Last time I tried Neon I got a weird keyboard layout problem at login.
I really loved Unity, maybe I'll mimic it with plasma.
This.

KDE is pretty advanced, doesn't have tearing issues or requires some fucking extra compositor other than the one it includes, has modern features and isn't lacking in the customization department. The only issue I see with it is the lack of themes.

I don't need a DE because I use Windows 10 and I'm doing actual work, unlike you
:^)

export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=0 my fellow fags

>using a bloated DE instead of a comfy, blazing-fast WM like i3

>I don't need a DE because I use Windows 10 and I'm doing actual work, unlike you
Tell me how you use win without a DE, fa.m

X D

For every distro where KDE is available all I ever read is "KDE in that distro is dogshit/unstable".

KDE and Blender are the crown jewels of open source.

>turn off triple buffering
for what purpose

I got better performance on AMD with that

>love GNU
>love linux
>love free software
>try to use literally any distro with any DE I can get my hands on
>always find glaring inconsistencies, missing functionality, shitty Pulseaudio (fuck lennart) compatibility, or some other annoyance
>makes me realize GNU/Linux is only good as a C and low level development environment
>rinse and repeat four times a year
I wish I could commit to GNU+Linux like some of you could. It would also help to have a full Foobar clone, extensions and all. Perhaps the Hackintosh way is a nice middle ground.

why not openbox?

>Some user checked the memory usage a few weeks ago and XFCE actually uses *about the same* as KDE
ugh, desu that would be about 200 megs. are you implying free -m returns that after you start kde? i doubt that
>distro=/=de

turn off kwin, there was even a shortcut for it in kde4

kde4>kde5

there is nothing smartphone about GNOME except the applications 'list'

what do you mean better performance?

>why not openbox?
Because I don't know about it. Thanks!

Daily reminder that KDE is the only DE with thumbnails in the filepicker.

this isn't an amd or kde issue. this is a linux issue. linux does not have the concept of fullscreen exclusive like windows. this is why nobody takes *nix seriously for gaming.

the chrome icon looks like one of the watermelons that chinamens shove into a square cages
disgusting

>using a 300x300 tiny window for your thumbnails instead of your FM in FullHD and having them where you're used to seeing them

>I'm absolutely unable to install software that suits my needs.

Let's have a friendly kde general.

>t. triggered GTKucks

This is friendly by the board's standards

Of course I am.

Good man

Try having compositing for fullscreen applications checked or unchecked. There should be no performance loss.

Haven't used a single distro with KDE that used under 1GB RAM idle

>using the smiley with the carat nose

Yes. I fell for the "KDE is shitty bloat" memes for years until I tried neon around the 5.8 release.
I haven't been distrohopping since.

i3 master race reporting in. If you need decorations, go back to Windows/

Of course.

It idles at about 600mb for me. What distro & what version? Seems a lot of improvements have happened in the last few releases.

manjaro-kde-17.1.1-stable-x86_64.iso

I think you broke something.

What version of KDE comes with 17.1.1?
But yeah like the user said, you're doing something wrong.

checked all compositor options last time. Somehow there is at least a 20% performance drop, the drop is even bigger in dota2. Dont make me install kde again to post proof, it'll be the third time.

Yeah KDE is almost decent again. After the debacle that was KDE 4 I pretty much ditched it, and have been primarily using OSX in the interim. I installed linux with the latest KDE on an old laptop and it actually runs pretty well, despite the ancient hardware.

Still has some annoying inconsistencies though, most notably with theming (change cursor theme, in some spots it reverts to default theme (like hovering a titlebar)).

Over all it's good enough to use, and seems to be improving at a decent clip. Interested to try it on modern hardware now...

I can install kde just fine

and somehow gnome and xfce are not affected, and i get windows performance in dota2 using them.

gnome and xfce are not composited

>macOS
>no gaymin
>non free, no package manager (inb4 brew)
the worst of both worlds desu

>six hundred megabytes
WEWLAD
E
W
L
A
D

mutter is a compositing window manager, and so is xfwm4, even if its a broken piece of shit.

I use KDE on Manjaro. It works great! Much better experience than the last time I used it. I think I'll stick with it.

Also, Manjaro is worth trying out if you want an Arch-based distro that isn't too hard to get going. I've been very impressed with it.

čisti moj šolja dejan

KDE Plasma is great except for a few critical issues:
>Lack of good themes
>Ridiculously huge scrollbars, and no "shrinking" type scrollbars like Gnome has to save space
>Applications like Dolphin are kind of ugly with random spacing and shit
Other than that it's great. It's clearly the most technically superior DE.

Can you even rice KDE properly

>He thinks this looks good

Yes. Unlike Gnome which you need to edit a config file to change the fonts for the top panel.

Scrollbars?

Stable release of openSuse is around 800mbs. It's unstable on Nvidia cards so I switched back to Fedora kde.

Fuck off.
twms are superior.

Nice Google translate, Donald

People of KDE consider making a friendly KDE general.

Oh, but I am, OP. Along with the greatest current distro.

>tfw using the integrated terminal in dolphin with mc
>get superior file management and thumbnails/visuals.
absolute bliss

That's actually amazing considering everything that KDE does as a full fledged DE.

Because I don't use Linux because I need to be able to use my PC for more things than browsing Sup Forums and watching anime

>That's actually amazing considering everything that KDE does as a full fledged DE.
I dont like this meme, you are not using full fetures of kde by idling with nothing opened, to be smug like this you should try doing few common tasks at once with every DE and then check memory usage.
KDE will still probably win, but it takes 500-600MB of RAM when doing absolutely nothing, not considering what it offers.

Yes, scrollbars. KDE has these huge fat scrollbars all over the place. I hate Gnome but one of the things it does right is keeping the scrollbars minimal and out of the way. If you're not scrolling, they're gone. If you're scrolling by mouse wheel, middle click, or touch input, an ultra-thin scrollbar appears just to show you your position. You only get a fat scrollbar if you actually click and drag on it directly. In Plasma, fat scrollbars are everywhere 24/7.

Also see and for more examples of fat scrollbars. I love Plasma but this is the biggest problem for me. It just looks so fucking ugly.

.... But it's not "doing nothing." Background processes and dependencies are a thing. You think a compositor just loads itself on command? Or that widgets don't exitst mostly in RAM? If you don't want information a click away, you can remove those options and just stare at a blank screen and manually do everything via terminal. But GUI is GUI for a reason: accessibility and ease of use.

I don't understand how anyone gets by using gnome... It makes me feel like i'm using android or some shit.

threadly reminder

hi Sup Forumsuys,
finally decided to try gnu/linux in VM for the first time because of curiosity and being it on Sup Forums.
I looked online and I really like Budgie, specifically Arc. How do I get it into debian though? When i try to install it, it only offers me the most popular DEs...

nice
how can i nest a terminal in dolphin? is it an extension?

kek GNOME does NOT only use 700mb of ram idle with fedora.
It's more like 1.2-1.5

>gnome
>fedora
wouldn't be surprised

It's native to Dolphin. Just tap F4.

It's sluggish as fuck too
Meanwhile KDE on fedora runs flawlessly

well yes, but i wanted to point that to really showcase what full fledged KDE is like you'd have to compare its RAM usage when you are not only loading the compositor, few menu bars and a clock.
KDE' main strenght is that you load most of the required libraries on login and then use programs that use those libraries.
All those "look at my idle RAM usage" posts are not showing this and it's a shame imho.
Also while the kde and qt libraries are loaded you still have to use additional RAM to play a song or browse a folder with dolphin and such. Therefore i think real world usage comparsion would be better (and more interesting) than idling.

I installed KDE over my Xfce install about 6 months ago. I noticed screen tearing and no default working video player. My Xfce install had no tearing and had Parole installed by default which worked fine.

Luckily I was able to revert back to my previous image. KDE was "pretty" but had some issues.

When I tested (fresh boot with Antergos Gnome and Antergos KDE), I had 750 MiB with Gnome and 400 MiB with KDE.

>Distro
>Dependencies
>Plasma version number
>Graphics Card Driver
These are starting variables you should consider that may have had something to do with what you experienced. KDE has an excellent compositor that works properly when the system is configured correctly.

Well said. I agree.

I used KDE for almost a year. this was my experience:
>krunner is using 100% CPU for no reason. better restart it
>plasmashell is using 100 CPU for no reason. better restart it.
>text rendering on plasmashell is broken after a reboot. better restart plasmashell.
>alt+f2 doesn't work. krunner apparently died in the background at some point.
>create a new taskbar. plasmashell crashes.
>baloo is using 100% CPU constantly
>plasma-networkmanager won't let me save settings unless I randomly change one specific unrelated setting.
At least one of these issues would occur every day.

I'll stick to XFCE. The only issues I've ever had were two taskbar crashes and a slow memory leak related to running rainbow six 3 on wine. After playing for a couple hours, I xfdestop was using an extra gigabyte of ram. I've used XFCE on and off for years and it's always been very stable.

>because i get a 20% fps drop in games on nvidia.
I'm getting the same performance on XFCE as KDE. What game are you running?