UBlock soon to be actually able to remove ads instead of just hiding them

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

>New
>HTML filtering
>
>Ability to remove DOM elements from a source document before it is parsed by the browser. The platform must support an extension API to modify the response body on the fly. Currently only Firefox 57+ allows this.
>
>The filter syntax is similar to cosmetic filtering, except that the character ^ is used before a valid selector to denote that the filter is to be applied to the source data. Contrary to cosmetic filtering, with HTML filtering the elements matching a selector are removed from the source.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what does that change for the average brainlet

>not using hosts or a pihole to block ads while blocking scripts with umatrix
>not using ublock for cosmetics only
lol the absolute state of Sup Forums

Until now it secretly loaded image ads in the background (i.e. on IMDb). You just didn't see them.

With this feature it's going to be possible to remove the images before they are loaded (granted that the filter maintainers or you bother to do it).

how does that help me though? i don't download 2mb more stuff?

>block stuff with medium mode
>nothing is hidden cause nothing is loaded
I don't get this meme

e.g. *

Yeah, pages should be faster and you won't be exposed to ad companies tracking your online habits for profit.

god damn you are fucking retarded. why are you on Sup Forums

Your browser doesn't even launch the request, so there's no passive tracking possible from third parties

i was thinking maybe there was a security risk maybe?
since my data isnt capped i don't really give a damn if i download 200kb more every time i open imdb

pal

REMOVE ADS
NO MORE ADS
ADS GONE
ADS BYE BYE
ADS GO TO HELL
ADS MAGIC DISAPPEARING TRICK
NO MORE EYESORE

> Currently only Firefox 57+ allows this
WTF i like firefox now

Websites can track you based on which of the resources fail to load :^)

well an adblock already does that, no?

>tfw too smart to care about petty problems such as battery life or data usage
Truly enlightened individual.

God I love this meme. Thanks for reviving it, OP

>t. ramesh

that doesn't mean it can't block network requests. abp does the same thing for cosmetic filtering too, simply hiding the elements

So what's the difference between uBlock and origin?

origin gets more updates and has more features and is maintained by the original ublock dev, non-origin is maintained by a scumbag

Doesn't some adblocker already do that?

Like, I remember years back hearing shitflinging from Adblock+ users and Ublock Origin users about how one only hides ads and one prevents them from loading and other shit.

You're a stupidtard if you don't know the OP is meme'ing right now.

If you were using it correctly and actually blocking images then it's done that since the beginning. You can check the connections being made and see for yourself. If you were blocking parts of the html that contained images instead of the images then it was loading the images because you were hiding html.

ABP also injects a fuckhuge CSS file into every page which makes it easy to detect and then spam you with anti-adblock messages

They both block network requests and both hide dead links and elements caused by the network filters. This is apparently a way to bypass the hiding part and just prevent the parser from even rendering the elements to begin with which saves CPU time.

didn't the original adblock do exactly this?

The old Opera did it. Images hidden via CSS filters weren't loaded at all.

The current adblockers don't. uBlock shills always keep denying it, but they haven't bothered to check how many of the filters in subscription filters are actually CSS filters that just hide images.

>ublock

>Currently only Firefox 57+ allows this.

Based fox.

no, it didnt. what it loaded was DOM nodes. and only if it wasnt some cross site crap - in that case it downloaded nothing

are u sure? my understanding is that even in this case only dom nodes would be parsed

I still don't understand what drove Gorhill to hand over the fork and name to that fag. Did he just have a meltdown only to quickly realize the fuck up? I read about it a while ago, and he left the project because he didn't feel like he was appreciated, on a forum he wrote something along the lines of "the more you give, the more people act as if you owe them something" and the project started feeling like a job. But after giving over the old fork, he almost immediately picked back up on uBO and now it is bigger than ever.

He really shouldn't have done it, and maybe it's too late to try and unfuck it now, but uBlock Origin is such a terrible name, if he could get the chrisfag to take the old one down and go back to being ublock that'd be good.

i only use umatrix and i get these messages all along

How far we've come. We don't deserve Gorhill.

will chrom* ever implement this?

nice thumbnail mate

moot should archive this post

How to install the RC on Firefox?

>not using Pi-hole

Sup Forums probably has a race condition

Sup Forums is racist?

>uneditable whitelisted ads

no thanks

I know uHide is a meme, but I still remember during the beta days, I'd sometimes see ad-banners for a split second before they'd disappear, on certain sites.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition
look at the date of the posts. they were posted at the same time and probably caused 4chans thumbnail generation to error

I love the zapper tool, but I wish Gorhill made it so you could string together hits in one go instead of clicking the tool multiple times over.

That's kind of the point of the tool anyways, a quick one-off solution to clean a site up that you're on for the moment, and that oftentimes means removing more than 1 element.

nvm I'm an idiot, just realized you can do this already by holding shift.

>I still don't understand what drove Gorhill to hand over the fork and name to that fag. Did he just have a meltdown only to quickly realize the fuck up?
he got tired of people whining on the issues trackers for requests and just handed it to that mudslime aljoudi, like 2 days afterwards he realized he had really fucked up cause the mudslime faggot started putting donation buttons everywhere and he couldn't actually code for shit apart from all the people here throwing shit

Anybody here know how to make cosmetic exceptions? Fanboy's "Annoyance Filter" has so many false positives, case in point with the recent breakage on Sup Forums with the "Top" button going away.

How do you make exceptions?

is there a fix for the top button already?

what does that change for the average brainlet

the fix is disabling the annoyance filter. But that's why I want to know if there's a way to make cosmetic exceptions

nice an ~8 year old bug still around

>2018
> not using a network wide ad blocker (pihole)

Only if you enable JavaScript in the first place.

>using the smiley with the character before a valid selector nose

You find that a valid solution because you never leave your home, but we can't take our routers with us.

super underrated

Some adverts are very difficult to block before they actually load (same domain as page content, same directory structure as page content, unpatterned file names).
They can only be addressed through their location in the DOM which is why they get hidden instead of blocked.

Luckily these are also the least cancerous adverts, because they're not loaded via javascript and not using third party javascript to deliver malware.

HELLO I AM PAJEET SERVER PLS DOWNLOAD MY JAVASCRIPT FILE
REQUEST MADE FOR HTML BUT NOT MY JAVASCRIPT FILE PLEASE REQUEST IT
WHY AREN'T YOU REQUESTING IT
I WILL INFORM DR. POO OF THIS

wow what are websites going to do with all that no tracking info

Ban you for being a leecher.

happened to me once. fun shit.

why do ads still exist, who other than people older than 60 years old still pays attention to them at all?

because they work
maybe not on you, but you are overestimating the average person

tbqh i'm dumber than the average person

>github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
but how can they track me or even display on the internet if they just willy nilly block random people with no tracking INFO

ublock more like uhide. i mean there is no denying it at this point the only thing that is being blocked by this extension are the pictures. inb4 abp shill.i dont even know how people can use a "blocker"(read as hider) that is literally worse than not using an adblocker.

>Pi-hole

Probably breaks too much.

>Serve page request to your IP
>ad request isn't loaded from your IP
>ban IP
I'm a brainlet in this field and even I know what he meant