Anyone here run ethernet cords outdoors to another building...

anyone here run ethernet cords outdoors to another building? I'm thinking about running one to my garage since a wifi extender doesn't reach. Could it withstand being in the driveway on the ground?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/maps/@42.6773761,23.2576258,3a,26.1y,162.43h,120.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6IluHK5vrTIoqoc9-4WB_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Get a heavy duty insulated cable, and you'll be aok

Networking best practices is that building to building interconnects should be fiber because potential for voltage changes, as well as potential differences in main(s) power between buildings could create problems.
By using fiber, you eliminate any voltage/current issues in the interconnect.
Plus, fiber can carry more bandwidth farther.

get some pvc pipes and elbow fittings and dig the ground at least a foot deep

This, rain/bugs/outdoor temps are concerns with this. Can't just run the raw cable between house and garage.

This. If you can afford it, but a pair of media converters and run the fiber through conduit. Otherwise run outdoor rated cat6 through a conduit.

this smells like a thread where OP wants to steal his neighbor's internet but can't get wifi

I use one to connect another desktop in the third floor, it's about 30m long, although it's not on the ground but wired through the ceiling, works fine

I was suspecting this myself.

you're legally meant to pay someone to do that kind of work for you since you're digging so close to your house.

Ideally you'd just run a telephone line to that other building.

There are plenty of Ethernet cables rated for outdoor use. But it probably won't survive long if you plan on running over it with your car.

>telephone line
>dial-up-tier speeds
wew

Fiber doesn't need to be run through a conduit if you own the property and simply know where your run is.

It's of course best practice to run conduit, but it's not like you HAVE to.

Dude, come on the entire L3 network in my country was build that way.

google.com/maps/@42.6773761,23.2576258,3a,26.1y,162.43h,120.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6IluHK5vrTIoqoc9-4WB_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Oh god, the ping time to anywhere not in your local area must be shit.

>that fucking abomination of horrible cable management
KILL IT WITH FIRE!

L2 was/is fiber.
No DSL, no bullshit.

>64372425
you can run ethernet over barbed wire

we still use telephone line here in Australia. In fact we even combine the two. We call it "The latest internet infrastructure"

It's fine up to 56Mb/s

Phone lines combined with what, DSL? Cable? Fiber? 'Cause that 56Mb/s sure isn't coming from the phone lines.

with fiber

How do you think he would be able to access his neighbor's switch, run a cable outdoors, above ground, without being caught? That sounds rather silly.

It would be a low end DSL protocol. We have them in Canada too, my phone line is capable of 10Mb/s (and the farther you get from the main junction, the worse the speed gets, I'm about 3km from the junction)

Figured.

>that pic

Didn't think copper telephone wires were capable of even that much.

So you think he can get into the neighbor's house and access the router and make holes to run the cable out???
That's kind of a big operation to do without him finding out!

I asked to use the their internet and they said it was alright so I got a wifi extender but it doesn't reach far enough so I was thinking of using a ethernet cord
That's why I'm gonna get a 50ft cord that's $25 and run a cheaper 100ft cord into it. As long as the connection is strong enough to browse here n play games I'm good. So if the cord in the driveway lasts 6 months I'd be happy

You better insulate that shit for thw winter time if you dont want it becoming brittle once it hits -20 degrees

This. I use pic related for a CCTV camera and it's super durable. I mean I don't think it's PVC, but that's irrelevant, it's durable as fuck.

inb4 cucked by woodland creatures

I'd just like to interject for a moment, what you refer to as "ethernet cords" are in fact twisted pair cables, or as I've recently taken to claling them STP. Ethernet itself is a family of computer networking technologies within the Link Layer of the TCP/IP protocol suite.

Probably polyethelene or fibre-glass.
You can get gel-filled ruggedized cat-5/6 cable.
One school I was working for ran it on catenary wires between buildings.
>twisted pair cables, or as I've recently taken to claling them STP
No. They are UTP. The S stands for Sheilded. The U stands for Unsheilded.

i wanted to put a ethernet camera (at the tiime there were no wifi hd cameras) out in the yard so i ran a cat5 cable into a garden hose and buried that. hose wasn't long enough so just got another one and screwed it into the first hose. put in a pull string in case i wanted to run another cable later.

What Wifi cable is that?

Don't listen to these niggers.

Dig a trench 6 in deep and 3 in wide.

run some CAT5e through some schedule 40 PVC conduit and bury it. It'll be protected by the earth. Dig deeper if you want more protection from erosion in the driveway.

Make sure you protect the ends from water intrusion with junction boxes. Use PVC glue.

If you're within 400 meters of a node/exchange you can get 100mbps down/ 40mbps upload on a single pair using VDSL2

Huh, they didn't mention that in biz school back in the 90's.