/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

borg.moe/installing-debian-on-the-softiron-overdrive-1000.html
kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.11.95.php
superuser.com/questions/361646/how-to-align-desktop-icons-to-grid-in-lxde-openbox
github.com/lxde/pcmanfm-qt/issues/97
mail.gnome.org/archives/gedit-list/2017-July/msg00001.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I just installed the net install of Debian on my Dell XPS13 (9360)

I ran into no issues during the install, but after install it seems I can't boot from my SSD. I can see the SSD from the Legacy Boot, but not UEFI. When I try from the Legacy Boot, it fails.

I N S T A L L G E N T O O
N
S
T
A
L
L

G
E
N
T
O
O

Did you burn your debian net iso as GPT or MBR

What is the purpose of these threads?
It seems like unnecessary duplication of effort

It's just newfags wanting to be "the guy who makes that general thread". Probably the same underlying cause for why /flt/ keeps popping up. Idealism is just an excuse.

Judging by the images used in the minimalism thread OP's I'm pretty sure I'm right too. Just contextless photos that have nothing to do with anything.

Get_a_load_of_this_guy_cam.jpg

It's literally the same people you dipstick.

I don't even see a point. They just get nothing.

LINUX!!!

IS A KERNEL!!!

Did you make sure to boot the install usb in uefi mode? If you don't it will do a legacy install.

What do you peeps think about KDE Neon? Is there any reason to use Kubuntu nowadays?

It's for edgy retards who have nothing better to do than to make their computers harder to use.

Arch or Debian? Why?

I don't personally like KDE in general, but their file picker is nice and actually has thumbnails. Okular is also nice.

A possible reason to install Kubuntu might be that you want Ubuntu with KDE out of the box.

Depends on use case
State your use case

Seeing as neon is basically kubuntu with kde updates straight from kde devs it is probably better.

Do any of you guys use Signal's desktop client on GNU/Linux?

I'm starting to use it but I've noticed a bug and I'm not sure if it's something wrong on my end or Signal's client.

I'm using i3. So let's say I'm on workspace 1, and Signal's window is there. I can send and receive messages here just fine. However, if I switch workspaces to do something else, and I get a message, I return to workspace 1 only to find the window is apparently gone (invisible) and I can only see my wallpaper. However, I know the window is still there because I can move it to an empty workspace and the empty workspace will be created while the original disappears. This problem does not happen if I just switch from workspace 1 to another and don't get any messages before I come back to Signal's window.

Should I just file a bug report or is there something else I could try to fix it?

Or rather, would anyone with i3 mind testing it out to see if you get the same behavior before I report it?

Network Manager, wicd, netctl or ifconfig-iwconfig and why, Sup Forums?

is it a good idea to install KDE on Debian? given the non rolling release nature of Debian and the fact that KDE is updated often

Debian Testing and Debian Unstable are rolling releases of Debian

Debian Stable is not a rolling release

From experience, if you're going to go with a fuckhuge Desktop Environment like KDE or GNOME which are bloated metapackages depending on a LOT of shit, it could actually be better to *not* be on bleeding edge/rolling releases. Why? Because at least with my experience with GNOME, they often don't upgrade everything at the same time, so you get a lot of dependency hell.

Regardless, if you want KDE on Debian Stable or Debian Testing or Debian Sid, it's a good idea. If you don't want KDE, then it's not a good idea.

Okay so if I absolutely want KDE on Debian my best choice would be Stable?

wicd because I want something that "just werks" (other than NM which requires systemshit) for my laptop which I rarely use.
I might go more minimal if wireless was a concern on my desktop, but of course it's not.

shit my bad meant to reply to you

Probably. Unless there's some feature that you really really want that's only available on a newer release than what is available on Stable atm.

You can always just upgrade your Stable installation to Testing or Unstable later if you want to.

There is some screwed behaviour of moving icons. I can't enable to align icons always by grid, and icons' moving strangely affects position of other icons. Can it be fixed?

Artix is pretty cool. Arch with OpenRC and a proper installer. Recently updated as well.

Fresh install of arch and I'm getting the error
error: premature end of file /vmlinuz-linux
Changing linux to linux16 seems to freeze my PC. What do?

Now that my thesis is done I can safely nuke my HDD and install a new version of GNU plus Linux on my laptop. I like Xubuntu so I'm sticking with that. I don't want to wait for 18.04, should I get 16.04 LTS or 17.10?

I asked this in the other thread but no one answered so I will try again and maybe someone will notice:

Is there a program that will allow me to imitate HAM radio to at least listen in? Stuff like EMS, police, and weather alert stuff would be extremely helpful until I get a radio.

Reinstall base

I had similar behaviour with Nautilus on Ubuntu 16.04. That's all I can tell you, I'm afraid.
Use GNU Ring.

TOHSAKA RIN
PLEASES OLD MEN
FOR MONEY

Any further steps or is mounting, getting internet connection, reinstalling base and then rebooting enough?

borg.moe/installing-debian-on-the-softiron-overdrive-1000.html

I've been really enjoying xUbuntu. I tried out Debian today and immediately installed xUbuntu afterwards. I just felt way too lazy to make it look nice.

Should be enough, premature EOF sounds like your shit did not install right. Did you have network issues during the install? If you did, try selecting a mirror that is actually close to you.

Desktops are not universal on GNU/Linux, and many of us don't have any desktop icons at all.
You're going to have to specify which desktop application or DE you're using.

Still nothing. I think I fucked something up trying to get lvm working. I'll just try again without lvm, it's less of a bother that way

I asked this in other thread. I am using i3 for a few months, but I want to try:

openbox + dmenu + lxdebar/xfcebar + rtile

is it a good idea or not?

kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.11.95.php

>We have been concentrating on speed and memory improvements with this long term support release. When Plasma is running it now uses less CPU and less memory than previous versions. The time it takes to start a Plasma desktop has been reduced dramatically.

Are there any benchmarks of this yet?

PCManFM from LXDE.

There is literally no reason to use any DE but KDE or XFCE, prove me wrong

I'm giving Gnome a try again, and, well, I like the look of the thing. The animations are nice.

Is there anyway to get rid of all the ram-eating garbage, though? I mean, what the fuck is it doing to eat up 1.6gb at startup? Ridiculous.

Network Manager because it can actually handle eduroam networks.

Yes, by installing KDE

Anyone know how Arch's rankmirrorlist ranks mirrors exactly? Fir example, would traffic affect the results?

I don't like GNOME but are you sure you don't have any other DEs installed? They may be starting up their applications on top of GNOME

This is on a clean install of Arch. So no.

I don't know, but have you considered trying spacefm instead? It's very similar but might have a different (better?) desktop experience.

Opinions on Ubuntu MATE? I'm converting a friend to Linux and I wonder if it'd be a good place to start. Last time I did this I did it with XFCE and I scared someone off.

Did I do good?

So I set my terminal background color to [90]#000000 in Xresources. The transparency works but when I exit vim it tells me the color is not defined. Only happens when I use the brackets to add transparency.

Can anyone help? The keyboard shortcuts in gedit no longer work, and it's really annoying. I saw a stacksoverflow post about needing to reset some setting to default, but I have no clue how to do that. I am just getting started using the command line, and trying to learn Python.
> inb4 use emacs
I tried downloading that, and I think it screwed up gedit

Oh, and i'm running Ubuntu 16.04, if that matters

You shilling your own blog?

I'm running linux mint 18 (xfce) and I have this problem where I can't change my display brightness on my laptop. When I modify it with my fn keys (or by moving the slider with a cursor) the values of brightness change, but the display is as bright as it was. Tried googling the problem but nothing helped.

Well, that's a solid choice aside of some personal preferences, thanks.
But what (light) file manager supports drag and drop of text on the desktop?

What do you mean drag and drop text? You mean clicking the filename and being able to drag it instead of clicking the thumbnail?

Since Unity is forked now, can we hope that we can have hierarhical launch menu as an option?

No, I mean I can select anything (or text) in, let's say, Firefox, and instead of copying it explicitly somewhere I can just drag it and drop it on Desktop, so I can paste it somewhere else later.

>Waterfox
Why?

>the logo is ALMOST symmetric but not quite
Do they have any idea how much this triggers my autism

The dream is over, my rig can't gpu passthrough

>upgraded my desktop before I learned about pcie passthru
>what I bought doesn't support it

No amount of Clorox will dull the pain.

Any Firefox tab management extensions since FF57? I just want to sort my fucking open tabs by location.

Stop using proprietary software.

Question: What exactly does enclosing the right-hand side of variable assignments in parentheses do? Or rather: Why does this only assign the first argument to the variable?

Like so:
$ abc() {
- x="${@:?}"; echo "$x" # $x contains the args as one string
- y=("${@:?}"); echo "$y" # $y contains only the first arg
- }
$ abc "def ghi" jkl
def ghi jkl
def ghi

Can't

pretty dope

my waternigga

Guys I'm trying to use a pseudo-VSR similar to the one AMD released on Windows, my xrandr command:
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1360x768 --scale-from 1920x1080 --panning 1920x1080 --fb 1920x1080
the only problem is pic related, the taskbar, wallpaper and startmenu are fucked up but Dolphin, Chromium and any program I open afterwards works fine. Do you think this is some kind of race condition? The script is being ran with this built-in kde "autostart-scripts" and is set to run "Before session startup". Any idea how I can fix this?

I am thinking of upgrading my R9 270x to a GTX 1060.
I have heard that nvidia cards don't really work well on Linux, especially for gaming. Is this true?

Or maybe it was the Drivers for the cards, I don't remember.

where can I get a sauce svg of this wallpaper? I want to make a gentoo-based one instead of that pleb-tier plebian logo

You defined an array. It works like this:

$ faggots=('OP' 'OP from yesterday' 'OP from tomorrow')

Now you can request an entry:

$ echo "${faggots[2]}"

Icons are automatically sorted and arranged in a grid until you move them manually. Uncheck the "stick-to-current-position" option in an icon's context menu.

Probably nemo or caja. Lots of standalone clipboard managers exist.

Oh, and "${foo:?}" will expand the variable foo or an error if foo is empty. You can also write "${foo:-idiot}" and it will print idiot when foo is empty.

>Pasta
>Question
what do?

one is about the os
other is about the kernel
>maybe

arch. it werks.

no

superuser.com/questions/361646/how-to-align-desktop-icons-to-grid-in-lxde-openbox
github.com/lxde/pcmanfm-qt/issues/97
gtk2/3 and qt versions of pcmanfm may have minor differences

you want a drag and drop automatic text file creation?
none (afaik) but you could have ~/.local/bin/script.sh
#!/bin/sh
xsel >> mygrab.txt

tint2 is much better than lxpanel outside of lxde session because it doesn't crash

enable auto login

gedit is abandonware
mail.gnome.org/archives/gedit-list/2017-July/msg00001.html

Apparently we have two threads?

repost:

>w10
>when 100%ram usage the system gives a warning and crashes the program, eg. Chrome with 50 tabs
>buntu
>100% ram usage
>system refuses to do anything
>have to use reset button

Is there anything I can do to make this better?
8gb of ram and 1gb of swap on a ssd

If you have a HDD, create some swapspace there.
PROTIP: you don't need a dedicated swap partition, you can create a swapfile just like in windows.

Also look into the "swappiness" kernel variable

>1gb swap
Make it bigger you nerd, it should be 12gb, otherwise get more ram or stop opening so many tabs

I have a swap file, as intended with the latest version I believe. I'll look it up how to resize it and how to edit the swappiness.

A question here: anybody has any idea why my arch install keeps connecting to luna.archlinux.org even though I am not actively doing anything? Is it normal for it to keep connected to that domain? And what is going on there?

currently using debian testing, is there any reason to use sid over testing?

botnet

Is Anarchy Linux botnet or LITERALLY just a install script? I don't want their repos or shit like antergos does

Yes, it's botnet.

No, it's safe.

Have you any proof backing that claim? Genuinely interested if I should change os now

check your netstat

is there a way to upgrade on debian from jessie 8 stable to stretch while keeping my files? i need packages which break my system to do asp.net development for a class and i'm not gonna use microshit

my iftop says it connects to luna.archlinux.org, I wonder what it is doing when connecting to that domain?

Debian stable, which version of wine should I get so that most of the games/software work? (stable or staging?) (and didn't Foo bar require staging so that it can use the gym theme you are using?)

staging for "modern" video games
stable/testing for everything else

Can I have both installed?

Yes, just make sure to not mix wineprefixes (wine data directories).

meant for