16 core Threadripper

>16 core Threadripper
>24 core Epyc

>Threadripper kicks its ass

HOW?!

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i9_7980xe-762-vs-amd_epyc_7601-744
cdw.com/shop/products/Gigabyte-MZ31-AR0-1.0-motherboard-extended-ATX-Socket-SP3/4748273.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

clock rate

Single core performance. That and the fact that EPYC is the lowest-end hardware available on the market for servers, and people on Sup Forums like to cherry-pick graphs of it winning against processors from 2015.

2ghz vs 4ghz

scaling across more cores gives you ln(x) degradation of performance

certain things involving real operations don't scale - at all -

epyc is for server use not gaymen so power efficiency is extremely important

TR: 180 watt
E: 150 watt

threadripper has a higher tdp while having 16 less threads, it also has half the memory channels and half the pcie lanes.

if you look at it from pure clockspeed threadripper wins, but that's not the point of epyc.

I'm not buying Threadripper for gayming. But since I don't gain shot in multi core performance, I'm going for tr over ep

>but that's not the point of epyc
This, EPYC is for servers which always means more emphases on memory channels, PCI express connectivity and power efficiency rather than pure clock speed

cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i9_7980xe-762-vs-amd_epyc_7601-744

An 18 core desktop processor is only 8% less good at highly optimized multi-core workloads, than a 32 core server processor.

Depends what you really want m8, if you just want raw MT performance for 3d modelling or some shit an epyc blade is probably what you want.

However not all MT workloads use more than 8 threads efficiently anyway (like HEVC) so unless your shit can scale past 8T then yeah, def go with TR.

a 32 core server processor that cost twice as much, and only has motherboards that support up to 2 PCI-E x16 slots.

>only has motherboards that support up to 2 PCI-E x16 slots
EPYC has 128 PCIE lanes if you buy a motherboard with only 2 16x PCIE slots that is your fault.
Stop spreading FUD

If you can find a single motherboard that takes advantage of that by providing more than 2 x16(electrical) PCI-E slots, I will actually send you $180 on paypal, because I got it as an assignment from my boss, and couldn't find a single manufacturer, I will literally give you the money that I earned trying to find one and failing.

just post link & email address.

Isn't cinebench made to use all threads though? The Epyc and Threadripper are pretty much the same there.

one catch, to cash offer, it has to support dual socket.

Rate my new build. Have yet to order though, probably in a few days. Bought a 1080ti to go with it.

You're going to have problems with the ram reaching that clock rate / 10

Oh right, I need advice on maybe getting another case instead. Must be sturdy with great air flow

What do you mean?

Nigga, where da fuk is yo GPU?

OK you got me with the dual socket support seems like only supermicro is the only ones making 2P motherboards and not providing all the PCIE lanes available but there is 1P motherboards with 4x16x and 3x8x slots

cdw.com/shop/products/Gigabyte-MZ31-AR0-1.0-motherboard-extended-ATX-Socket-SP3/4748273.aspx

I bought a 1080ti today. So I removed it from my list.

16x4
vs
24x2
Gee I wonder what middle school math is....

>Single core performance.
>scaling across more cores gives you ln(x) degradation of performance

Not what's going on here. the multi-core scaling here is actually above 100%.

Yeah, that Gigabyte board was all I could find too. :/

My boss ended up spending an ass-load more on dual 8176s just so he could use one of those Asus SAGE boards.

>bought a 1080ti (TODAY) Jesus christ man, how much did you pay? $900? You should have waited for the restock, I got mine for $600 a couple months after release.

One of the issues may be is the fact that Epyc splits it's PCIE lanes and uses 64 lanes from each as CPU interconnects when in 2P you still get 128 lanes but it's 64+64.
Super Micro seems to only be using lanes from 1 CPU on it's dual socket motherboards because even in 2p you can still deck a board out with all the slots like the SAGE board

But it even states on the supermicro site that both processors must be installed to gain access to both PCI-E x16 slots.

Why would you buy a 1200W PSU for one GPU? Going for a 750W one (probably still overkill) would save you about €100.

I paid 780 euros

To an extent which I'm not sure what that is. You can't scale things infinitely with moar coars, at some point you will bleed performance.

Ah, shit man, that's $950 american. Well, at least if you want to buy another one, the restock is in a couple of weeks, and you can get one for just a little over half of that.

depends on the use case of the cpu
you wouldn't want lots of cores for database for example. majority of queries are single threaded with minor offloads to other threads

Is that just two RAM modules? For a threadripper?

Someone explain

The RAM in your build is going to be problematic when it comes to reaching its rated speed.

But everyone says faster ram speed is better for zen

Should I go with 2666 instead?

Best case scenario would be 400mhz ddr2.

Haha user enough laughs, help me

i think you should be fine.