Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to use an older version of Nautilus to keep desktop icons

>Ubuntu devs have decided to release Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Nautilus 3.26 installed so that users are able to put icons on the desktop.

>GNOME removed the option to put icons on the desktop earlier this month. The next release of the file manager, the app which has hitherto handled the job of drawing and managing the ‘desktop’ space, will no longer support this feature.

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/01/ubuntu-18-04-lts-will-ship-older-version-nautilus

Other urls found in this thread:

etoileos.com/etoile/
kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.11.95.php
stallman.org/google.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is their rationale for removing this?

KDE doesn't have this problem.

Just use a tiling window manager.

Not all of us are autistic.

Perhaps the "he has icons on his desktop" shitposter has taken matters into his own hands

Too much work to set up. I did the i3/Xmonad thing for a couple of years and it just becomes tiring. Granted, you can do some really nice things with them, but it starts to reach the point of absurdity when it takes days to configure your settings.

I wonder if he's happy

What type of masochist uses gnome

They say no one wants to maintain 20-year old code and it's allegedly holding Nautilus back

rewriting 20 year old code in the same way that made it unmaintainable in the first place is holding it back.

thats why they made openbox, pretending to be elite with xml configs

>rationale
>gnome
pick one

>openbox

I found this ruby script for tiling windows in openbox. Is it good? I am using i3 for some months and I like the tiling but nothing else.

This isn't a shitpost it's true, desktop icons are the lowest tier of organization

Who cares 16.04 is still supported and there is an ubuntu community project that wants to continue using unity with nemo

Even fucking Mac OS 6, which fit on a 1.44MB floppy could manage a desktop with icons. Holy fuck.

Y’all remember when gnome 2 was good? Wtf happened. Cinnamon is the only useable DE left I feel like.

Gnome thinks they can rewrite their GARBAGE software by replacing it piecemeal instead of starting from a clean slate.

These retards also advocate for Rust.
If you're a UX programmer, just focus on GNUSTEP, I'm serious. GTK and QT are awful.

Qt is fine but quirky. What works works great and then you wait 5+ years for an upstream bugfix

Oh boy I still remember the discussions I had here with all the imbecile GNOME shills claiming that Ubuntu was gonna make GNOME like Unity and all that kind of delude garbage.

Now we see the obvious reality: GNOME devs never cared about the regular desktop user and Ubuntu is trying to fight back their awful decisions by using older software, it sure things both parties are getting along!

Imagine a desk that you're not allowed to put anything on it.

Yeah, but QT absolutely REQUIRES qt creator. Otherwise, I'm not opposed to making the QT widgets not look like ass.

I really would like GNUSTEP to be used instead, it's stable, proven, and it's implemented Objective-C (best C).
It was budding in the 90s but then GTK came along with their awful toolkit (it's gotten better but it's based on horse piss) and spergs chose it instead of GNUSTEP just because of their hatred of Apple.
FSF also develops GNUSTEP more than the other two

imagine putting a fake desk on top of a real desk

I don't even know gnustep or anything in that nextstep lineage. As for making widgets not look like ass I mostly solve that by just making them look like ass (wx or tk).

I own a standing desk. Its not so bad.

Time to post what I said in that thread to remind all the idiot Red Hat shills

>You still do not get it, do you? There is no more Ubuntu desktop other than some minimal Gnome enterprise version. But Ubuntu will remain a stable base for other desktop environments. I doubt that things like gaming and driver support will even be important to Canonical now. This is going to have a mayor impact as Canonical basically withdraws from the user desktop and there is no other party to take their place. We are not only going to lose mobile support we are going to lose user desktop support from vendors as well. People in the community have never fully realized the importance of Canonical and Ubuntu for the user desktop. Well thank Stallman and his Gnome lot for opposing them every step of the way trumping up ridiculous charges and turning the community against them.

>instead of starting from a clean slate.
Isn't that what they tried with GNOME 3?

>here never was no Amazon spyware, that was simply slander invented by Stallman to prevent Canonical creating earnings from the desktop. Anonymizing search requests was more safe than Duck Duck Go. Stallman is likely in cahoots with Google. Visit his site, he can think of nothing wrong with them even though they monitor us 24/7 and everywhere we go. No, that is no infringement on our freedom. And Gnome helps share your documents with Google Drive without any support for encryption, because we want Google to read everything, do we not? The Linux community is being duped. If these people use sleazy means like slandering, that is simply because they are not to be trusted and have a very different agenda than they pretend to have. Lets not forget the communist system was also sponsored by big money. Nothing new. Free Software is a scam and it hates Open Source.

>I don't even know gnustep or anything in that nextstep lineage.
GNUStep is an application toolkit.
It uses the same exact Cocoa API as MacOS. With a year or so of Redhat sponsorship and a good theme, it would be the cutting-edge GUI toolkit and actually portable unlike GTK or QT.

They cleaned the slate and then immediately rubbed dog shit all over it

Is that a poorly sized pasta?

No, the technology is still the same code underneath.
They remove features that are poorly implemented and re-add them years later when they're happy with the new solution once they get around to it.

Anyone could tell you that this is a retarded idea.

>Gnome
>Still doesnt have thumbnails when choosing files
into the trash

This, the patches exist but they don't care. They won't make it usable nor will they let others make it usable.

You'd think with all the Mac-fags around, they'd put more effort into pic related.

Literally why the fuck would you use Gnome over KDE? And no, RAM usage is not a good reason unless you have 4GB of RAM or less and in that case I'm seriously worried if you use Gnome or KDE

KDE uses less RAM than GNOME

Cinnamon, plox

There's literally zero way to avoid installing GTK on your system. Qt/KDE libs can be left out. Also you don't need to use KDE to use Kwin anymore. Kwin/openbox or Kwin/lxqt are nice.

>star instead of apple
>top menu bar
What am I looking at?
Also, most Macfags did big job in Unity, I suppose.

I know but using "muh RAM" as an argument in 2018 for a fucking DE only applies if you're using a Raspberry Pi or something

That is the Etoile desktop project. It is an attempt to make a quality desktop and engine for the GNUSTEP toolkit like GTK and QT have.
Again, it's compatible with existing MacOS UIs so long as you recompile it for Linux.

etoileos.com/etoile/

Imagine pixels on a real desk in the form of an application menu. No icons. Imagine all these icons...and no trash bin, too. Imagine no possessions. I wonder if you can handle GNOME. Imagine no flame wars, I wonder if you can

>Unity
Unity is a GTK window manager and GTK programs.

They almost considered implementing Cinnamon's nemo, the file manager made in response to GNOME removing features from Nautilus

Well, I was thinking more about top menu bar.

Budgie is pretty competitive with Cinnamon

KDE supports the topmenu as well. The point is that QT is shit and GNUSTEP is good and cross-platform and written in a good language.

I feel like desktop icons were only removed in order to fuck with Ubuntu's switch to Gnome

Do you mean you don't have RAM for something more productive than DE?

I thought GNOME didn't have desktop icons?

Why do you even need the desktop?
You start programs with win+name and files should be put into folders (the desktop doesn't even have detail view)

This desu. Desktop icons are honestly inferior user experience unless you are an octogenarian who hunt and peck types

wasn't one of the reasons ubuntu dropped unity in the first place was they wanted to stop wasting time on writing patches/changes to gnome software to make it work the way they wanted?

>Gnome devs browse Sup Forums
wew

You did but the gnome devs buried the option in some obscure tool because that's "simpler".

I'm sure gnome is now being used by redhat to cuck Ubuntu. When Gnome farted out gnome3 it really took the wind out of the sails of Ubuntu just when it was getting some critical mass.

>Windows has desktop
>Mac OS has desktop
>GNOME: let's be special snowflakes and don't put desktop!
That's why year of desktop Linux isn't coming, you purposefully ditch desktops from Linux.

Maybe Ubuntu can get some momentum on a fork of Gnome3 if their parts and decisions are superior.

I just don't understand how dragging a cursor and double clicking could ever be more convenient than 3-4 keystrokes.

Maybe it is less convenient but that's no excuse for needlessly removing a feature that exists in every other desktop environment.

Most people without Asperger's prefer to use desktop icons. In theory, not having desktop icons makes sense. However, for most users not having desktop icons is completely shitty, and makes Windows XP look superior.

This assumes that most people that use a computer know what they're looking for. You've obviously never had to help one of the people in the majority of computer users that can barely even use an office suite

It's usually more convenient to have multiple applications capable of integrating into some primary desktop thing. If you can drag a link from a browser or some other tardly action and have your application and your desktop take some consistent actions you have a usable desktop system. If you have a mouse cursor as a primary input and don't do such things it's wasteful and probly retarded/uncoordinated as a system.

>i have autism and sit on a computer all day so surely everyone does!
You said it takes 3-4 keystrokes? That is less convenient than the two steps of moving a cursor and clicking.

Unless, as stated, you are a turbo autist who has an obsession with being a gigantic faggot and think not clicking makes you a 1337 hacker. It doesn't. You just look like a tremendous dunce and faggot. Especially with your riced out anime desktop.

There's tons of awesome shit you can do with both, the autistic pride version is still the easier to implement and covers technical illiteracy shame. Doing both with extensions and shit on top is best.

Bruh I'm on wangblows right now. Holy fuck you act like it takes a graduate engineering degree to know how to push a meta key. You spent more time typing that response than it takes to gain the muscle memory to use a launcher. Just try it, it's so much faster and easier.

>Not knowing what UX design is in 2018

the fuck is the point of using a DE if it doesn't provide basic features that eases mouse usage?
might as well stay in the CLI, with a default launcher for the xserver whenever you need a graphical application.

>$ gui libreoffice
>xserver starts with the libreoffice open
>do your thing, click exit once finished
>xserver closes and you go back to the CLI

How'd they use thier tiling window managers then?

tiling window managers demands you to spend days to configure them just to SHITPOST ON TAWAINESE IMAGEBOARDS
fuck that shit

well as with any environment, configs evolve over the course of years not days. At that point you never need to do it over.

Yeah, all these people who have hundreds of keyboard bindings for features but then dont implement any ways to use those with mouse really makes me wonder why?

If you really dont want to use a mouse then stay in the fucking tty ffs.

I'm a magical autistic computer wizard, I don't have any use for desktop icons even on stock windows/macOS/any distro. I learned that to open firefox I can push win -> f -> enter instead of clicking on an icon. You will never understand how hard it is being a genius like me and trying to explain to filthy primates my complex arcane technological mastery.

Anyone knows why they wanted to remove them in the first place?

>Y’all remember when gnome 2 was good?
yeah its called mate

They wanted to fuck with Canonical

dumb normies

You anons think Ubuntu will ever use KDE as default?

They've invested too heavily into Unity as a fork of Gnome to switch now

Cinnamon?

>Ubuntu announces Cinnamon as default
>Linux Mint dies overnight

*Was an attempt, hasn't been updated in 6 years. Would like to see Sup Forums develop it, incorporate it into cloveros. Of course I wouldn't do the work, but I'm happy to design the logo :^)

Spoken true. Gnome are dicks. Unity was garbage.

This.

do people really use desktop icons? even in windows i just use the search function for anything i need to run

at this point, what is the point of having a desktop interface if you can't have desktop icons?

No, desktop icons are Hella' useful unless you're a newfag autist soyboy too spergy to use a pointing device.

you use a desktop for placing open documents (windows) on, not stored documents
i haven't had a desktop manager running for years

anime wallpapers, obviously

It doesn't require qtcreator.
Qtdesigner is the tool you use to generate the XML file for the UI but you can write that manually or insert elements in the code if you want.
It would be a more fair statement that you need to use C++ as the other languages are not as supported with Qt.
Qt is a bitch to setup and you often spend a lot of time figuring out why you can't compile it compared to other toolkits.

i cant find n-e thing through startmenu in standard 8.1 + windows, only when i use the file explorer window does anything get found

xfce and cinnamon are the only Desktop Environments that matter anyway. I don't understand why gnome is pushed so hard.

If only.
Features change and suddenly you can't use things like you did before and then you have to rewrite it.
I can't personally use a tiling VM, I find the concept to be a horrible experience.
It is like taking the worst parts of an IDE and using it globally. I don't know how large a screen I would need to justify wasting so much space.

Hey now, KDE matters because it has thumbnails in the file picker

based gnome
desktop clutter has always been cancer
y'all should kill yourselves

yes but gnome didn't remove nautilus did they?

I have never ever ever used KDE without it being buggy or slow, so I'll stick to xfce and cinnamon. (mostly xfce, I've edited to look and behave modern)

I imagine what they did amounts to at very least a fork, thats pre-bantu shit though.

kde 5.12 looks promising
kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.11.95.php

>cinnameme

>Stallman is likely in cahoots with Google. Visit his site, he can think of nothing wrong with them
stallman.org/google.html