Looking into buying a SBC. Why should I buy?

Looking into buying a SBC. Why should I buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
96rocks.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

raspberry pi
/thread

apple

Freetard here. Are there any SBCs yet that don't require bullshit proprietary blobs to function?

this jackass has no idea what he is talking about. the correct answer is purchase a raspberry pi.

EOMA68 to [finally] ship in June
the only one in existence to get the FSF"s Respects Your Freedom certificate.
Otherwise, the BeagleBone Black is your best option.
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

just get a raspberry pi. It's easy and has heaps of support. There's about a 99% chance you'll use it for a month then it'll sit in a draw

Basically any that aren't based on broadcom.

armv5 binaries run on fucking anything and all of these boards use uboot.

You know when someone doesn't know shit about support when they say stupid shit like the raspberry pi has good support. It doesn't.

>just get a raspberry pi.
>There's about a 99% chance you'll use it for a month then it'll sit in a draw
I'd rather get something a bit more powerful to stop this from happening

ODroid XU4 is a good "average" choice.

Doesn't cost that much but also doesn't have the RPI3's performance / overheating issues.

Are there any decent ones that have a DisplayPort instead of HDMI?

Getting an Odroid C2 next month. I plan to install libreelec.

Commodore 64.

prob with odroid and other alternatives is shipping... basically 1/5 of total price goes to the nigger delivering it

raspberry pi

its better to have huge ass community support than figuring yourself out on wierd 0.00001% driver issues

Sure. Yet I'd obviously buy that and not a RPi3 B or such for most unspecified setups, because at least there is no choking USB-GBE and no easily overheating main chip that is a bit too weak.

It's just an easier to deal with board with a good bit more processing power and a lot more in reality when passively cooled.

but i can buy a rbpi in person (40€), like right now, if i wanted to! the odroid has to come from fucking who knows where, and costs ~100€ (not even including accessories, charger, card or anything, just the board) and id have to wait
is it really that much better? the only thing the rbpi is missing for me is SATA

>is it really that much better?

it literally depends on what you want to do with it

Excluding the Raspberry Pi, which SBCs have good software support (updates, available distributions, development, etc.)?

> if i wanted to! the odroid has to come from fucking who knows where
Very dramatic, but in reality you just pay an order and it arrives a while later at your home - how it gets to you is the "magic" of postal services and really basically none of your problem.

>is it really that much better
If you're using it as desktop box or if you're using it as NAS (one that needs to do more than 10MB/s or whatever), yes, easily.

The Rpi3 B throttles the fuck out when passively cooled due to overheating while already being not that strong, and it also has terrible throughput from USB to Ethernet. YMMV if you just want the GPIO pins.

I just ordered one of these. Looking forward to trying it out as a NAS while running a few local web services.

IO throughput is fine (6MB/s stable in LAN, 3MB/s stable at uni), what im missing is sata because sata2usb adapters are so shit... ive tried 3 different adapters (with external power, ~30€ each) and they all failed within a week of use... luckily i could just get a refund for every one of them
rn im using an "external drive", i took the old disk out and put mine in
i use mine to program sometimes because its on 24/7 and i dont feel like turning on my PC
(using a 2 though)

>i use mine to program sometimes because its on 24/7 and i dont feel like turning on my PC
The Odroid XU4 has way more processing power than a RPi2, in most case that matters for compiles.

OTOH *this* problem seems just as easy to address by placing your PC better and giving it a SSD.
Some very normal systemd booted Linux can easily boot in 10s or so as long as the BIOS isn't fucking slow - it'll be faster to use that than even the XU4 & likely amortize the time needed to boot on compiles and the like.

load pihole on it, now it's useful for something

ikik, i dont give much love to my PC cause im a poorfag... compile time isnt too bad (if C), but using rust is still kind of a pain... i just scratch my balls in the mean time and think of ways i could have fucked up
some guestimates for reference:
universal-ctags builds in 5min
ripgrep, with -j1, takes nearly 30min

>EOMA68
>no gpios

what are they even making it for.

all you'd need is a PCMCIA card adapter of some kind
they're doing it like this so you can easily swap them out to upgrade or move between other devices
they're making laptops and stuff they can just plug into
some of their reasoning is a little silly, but I think it's actually a great idea
being protected in it"s own case might be reason enough
and it's that fucking old school memory card aesthetic
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

for example

what's the cheapest one with
>usb 3
>gigabit ethernet
>decent cpu
>hdmi 2.1 (or at least 2.0)
>4 gigs of ram
?

if you don't know why you would buy one, why are you even looking?

SBC are good as 2 things, as a component for a project where you know exactly what you need, and as a gift for a tech savvy friend you don't particularly know well.

>all you need is to spend more money

cool
it's already way more expensive than other boards of same specs

freedom is priceless~

What do you plan to use it for?

Qualcomm with Adreno GPU 4xx 5xx 6xx for upstream Mesa.

Avoid PowerVR/Mali/Rockchip at all costs.

The Banana Pi M2 Berry costs about as much as a Raspberry Pi (at least in my country), has SATA 2 and gigabit Ethernet, and runs modified raspbian, you should look into that if you want to use it for file sharing.

Based on your description, you either want to use it as a full blown PC with a 4K 60 Hz monitor, or you want to connect it to a 4K TV as a media server. The udoo x86 comes close, but it only has HDMI 1.4 (not enough for 4K 60 Hz) and mini displayport. The version of the mini DP is not listed in the documentation, because apparently it was written by retards, but it's most likely DP 1.2, which should be capable of running a 4K 60 Hz monitor (you can use a mini dp to HDMI adapter if the display only has HDMI). It costs $180 though.

I have my rpi connected to the TV I recently mounted above my bed with a cheap mech kb to use for light browsing and Netflix and chill with my girlfriend. I use to load up H3 podcasts and lay in bed all day in my days off. It's... Cozy.

It isn't the lack of power that'll stop you from using it.

It'll be the lack of things to do with it.

>The Banana Pi M2 Berry costs about as much as a Raspberry Pi (at least in my country), has SATA 2 and gigabit Ethernet, and runs modified raspbian, you should look into that if you want to use it for file sharing.
+1

Not as SBC but maybe something like a nuc?

What's the point of a NAS without redundancy?

>Looking into buying a SBC.
What do you need one for, and what country do you live in?

$65 is nothing user

Asus tinker board S. Most powerful out there afaik
Or wait for this
96rocks.com

>stupid shit like the raspberry pi has good support
hahahaha so what has better support? Orange Pi, Banana Pi? All of them are built based on Allwinner chips, a company known for giving absolutely zero fucks about the GPL and the linux community. To run anything more than pure terminal you need antique kernels full proprietary bullshit. At least the raspberry has a true opensource video driver...