/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

/tpg/ insists: Fuck you, idab namefaggot. Go away.

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
>600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series
Recommended modern models:
>X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
>W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
>P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/
EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)
BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs
ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i5-2-6-i5-3320M-8GB-128GB-SSD-DVD-WIN-10-PRO-Laptop/222312348880?hash=item33c2d93cd0:g:b4wAAOSwax5Ytj8~#viTabs_0
game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=983&gid2=1248&compare=Nvidia Quadro K2000M-vs-Nvidia GeForce GT 730M
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-K2000M-vs-Nvidia-Quadro-K2100M/m8574vsm7811
amazon.com/dp/B01N16GL1J/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=92EJZ&pf_rd_r=FN6YN99SB2PTDPX86VC5&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01N16GL1J&pd_rd_w=9sWSG&pf_rd_i=2 in 1&pd_rd_r=b2f0937d-3fbb-4f0e-9249-4ad2e92246a7&ie=UTF8&qid=1516345617&sr=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for ThinkStack.

How do you update your old thinkpads bios to protect against Meltdown and Spectre?
You can't.

Was that a poorly phrased rhetorical question or are you just trying to start an argument?

What temps do people get on their CPU at peak? I get 90 celsius in a Prime95 torture test with my X230 and I was wondering if there's a good thermal paste out there or something I could do to reduce this peak temp in gaymen (not average usage).

bump for 2-part question

Post dankpad

put it back, jamal

I think the hard drive in my T420 is dying. Any advice?

Threadly reminder to filter idab and T440s

reddit.com/r/lightshope/comments/7mkn4i/idab_returns_january_16th/
forum.lightshope.org/search.php?author_id=13868&sr=posts&sid=7810c5f3003202e4218a52711e4c0061
youtube.com/watch?v=ijLxbk27HNs

>”Grow up buddy, people know me. Im famous here. “
>”Nobody actually dislikes me”

ebay.com/itm/IBM-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-i5-2-6-i5-3320M-8GB-128GB-SSD-DVD-WIN-10-PRO-Laptop/222312348880?hash=item33c2d93cd0:g:b4wAAOSwax5Ytj8~#viTabs_0

Extremely close to buying this one, give it too me straight anons is this a good deal?

>looking up a laptop for my sister
>going by the specs I assumed she'd require and by lowest price first
>all of the sudden, wild x220 for $150 appear with free shipping
>nice, maybe I'll finally get one!
>click add to cart
>doesn't work
>oh god no
>refresh page
>OUT OF STOCK
Goddammit!
Which one of you did this?

awww Sup Forums you've done it now

You've really rustled me this time

Sup Forums stop disrespecting me

Look how close I am to tears

>lurk on my local craigslist-like website
>t41p in almost pristine condition
>40k clp
>dat 4:3, 1400x1050 screen
>then realise that: single-core, 1gb of ddr ram, IDE 40gb hard drive
tfw it might be unusable these days

as long as we stop mentioning or responding to tomatoes then tomatoes might go away.
You just have to make sure not to mention tomatoes is all.

filtering out tomatoes in your settings is probably a good idea too.

someone invert the text

it says /tpg/

Why is it that the most recent ThinkPad iterations seem, generally, to have superbly benchmarked CPUs, but comparatively poorly benchmarked video cards in comparison to "gaming" laptops at a comparable price point?

Because they are business laptops?

Ah, okay.

Do all T540p, W540, W541 come with expresscard slots?

Install and lean puppy or arch. Play around with it just to see what you actually can do with it. Could even see if ReactOS would run on it.
Because they aren't meant for gaming. Most thinkpads don't even have a dedicated GPU. The ones that do are usually equipped with quadros which again- aren't made for gaming.

How are the T430 screens?

I want a laptop mostly for watching videos and light gaming but for whatever reason I want a thinkpad. Would a T430 be good my needs? Besides typing, I'd be doing zero "work" on the PC

supposedly they're pretty bad

Awful. Really just some of the worst screens in any laptop from the past 20 years. That's not even an exaggeration. There are some better panels you can swap or mod in, but really just get a 1080p T530 or IPS X230 instead, depending on whether you prefer bigger or smaller. 14" Thinkpads only really have that balanced form factor going for them, they're not particularly good at anything else.

Give it too me straight user, if I want something to browse Youtube on and play some light gaming, are thinkpads just not for me?

Replace it.

?????????

>quicktime player
Kys

Does the EPP discount work with any email address, even if I don't have a job that would be applicable for the discount?

They're laptops, so generally they work fine for those purposes. Depends on what you mean by light gaming, really. When I say a Thinkpad is bad for something, I mean relative to other Thinkpads that are better in that regard. X230 and T530 have much better screens than the T430, Lelnovo cheaped the fuck out on T420 and T430 screens for some reason.

Regarding gaming, I'd need to know some titles to give accurate feedback. T530 or W530 would be safer bets though, as they have dedicated GPUs that are more capable than the Ivy Bridge integrated graphics.

Lenovo system update keeps saying i dont have enough disk space when there is 149gb free.

I can't get the Intel graphics drivers to install.

Game wise all I'm looking to play would be
>Old School Runescape
>Classic WoW
>League of Legends

My only complaint with a T430 and Thinkpads in general is there screen seems to not be that clear. The other laptops I'm thinking of is a 710 yogabook 11'6 or just getting a Chromebook with a good resolution and saying fucking games because I already have a PC with a 1070. Any advice is appreciated

POSready 2009 or XP SP3 for my T42?

tell them ur wife is a janitor at ibm via chat

Haven't bought it, I'd had to sell my T400

Get a t440s or t440p

Haha, I hope you fucking kill yourself

You should buy it though user. Sell something else instead of your T400. Like your dvd collection or a kidney.

Stop pretending to be me.

wat
You're not me

FUCK OFF.

I don't know who is the original one, but if you could stop breathing, it would be for the greater good.

friend. we make joke. laugh.

So with a 2nd gen i5, how much worse in performance am I really going to get vs a 7th gen? Clock speeds are the same, and the 2nd gen I have even has a larger L2 cache. Only difference is the wattage.

Sup Sup Forumsews
I am a delusional autistic neet and really want to kid myself into thinking I could be like a C level exec. What kind of ThinkPad is best for this?

A bit. What doing with it

x1 Carbon for Steve Jobs style CEO
T25 for "I've always liked thinkpads" meme faggot ceo
X220 for some guy that knows his head from his ass.

Clock speed is only relevant if you're comparing similar core architecture. 7th Gen is definitely faster. If you are just doing normie shit with it, you won't notice the difference though. This is why so many manufacturers are undervolting the newer processors.

If it matters, moderate productivity. They both have a base clock of 2.5GHz, and the one I have turbos to 3.2GHz vs 3.1 on the 7200U. I guess I just don't understand what else is going to make the difference in terms of performance. Both have 2 physical cores, 4 simulated. Both have turbo boost.

I am a disgusting subhuman wh*Te who wants to be reminded of when we enslaved the blacks when I use a computer. What big black computer (BBC) ThinkPad is best?

Hey Sup Forums about to pull the trigger on a t440p needs some work though (which is fine, I was going to replace mostly everything anyway.)

How does a T440P after all repairs/modifications for 432.19 USD sound?
Would end up with a new screen, battery, SSD, Quad-Processor, T450 trackpad. Comes with 8GB of RAM already.

Probably won't be noticeable.

Care to break down your expenses?

P71 of course. Nice and big!

Looking for a model that's good for Photoshop, a ton of browser tabs, and general college work. Any recommendations?

>inb4 "wah Sup Forums boogyman"
No, you all just cancer. "Haha dude black people, random and edgy!"

~140 for the T440P itself, still working the price out with the person I'm getting it from.

42.99 for the 9-Cell Battery

48 for the SSD

20 for the trackpad (could probably find cheaper)

68 for the new screen

95 for the 4702QM i7

17.88 for keyboard.

The sounds like a good deal, especially if you're talking the ips screen.

oh yeah go for it!

This is a great deal

Sounds good to me. Only thing I would skimp on is the new processor. The difference between it and the processor that comes with the t440p probably won't be noticeable.

Are you saying the black color of thinkpad has no racial overtones?

That'd be the case, would be a bit worthless to not upgrade to IPS.

It would be coming with an i5-4200M by default. I plan on holding off on the processor as well unless I really feel the one it comes with isn't meeting my needs. Still not sure if I need those extra cores, though it shouldn't impact battery life, as similar TDP. (Unless I'm mistaken.)

Does switching to linux improve battery life?

t450s btw

Agreed

I just bought a 21.5 IPS lenovo monitor

and I have an ips display on my t440s

Yeah it will be, as long as you have all the proper drivers and firmware installed. I wont get too technical, but linux is pretty well optimised for basic tasks. Not sure how well the lenovo battery manager on windows holds up against linux though. If you have the time, you might as well just test them both while doing stuff you regularly do and see which one lasts longer.

user thats a great choice of laptop

When I used an x60s I went from windows 7 to linux and it greatly improved my battery life

I think it would be less of a difference on that machine, but still might be worth it.

Test it and let us know user. Boot loonux from an sd card.

that guy doesn't know what he is talking about. If you do any sort of real work on that machine you will notice the difference. Upgraded an old i5 machine to an i7 myself since it was free, and honestly I feel like I should've paid for it xD

The quad core processor is only worth it if you're running programs that utilize more than a single core.

It isnt as energy efficient. but this is by like 1%

Bought a ThinkPad X260 i5-6300U 8GB RAM for 500USD, plan to replace 1366x768 res screen with 1080p ips

Tell me how I fugged up

"that guy" owns more thinkpads now than you have in your entire life, m8. You won't notice the difference, certainly not enough of a difference to justify spending 50% of the value of the laptop on an upgrade. If he needed something more powerful, it would be more economical to buy something like a w530 or the t440p with the GT 730 in it.

Just go away already, moron.

You paid too much.

Please quit trying to be me.

WoW is really difficult to play when you guys are triggering my audio notification whenever "idab" is found.

It plays a little MLG horn everytime it finds it.

GT730m vs K2100 for gaymen. No real websites out there have what I need.

Welp, thanks Sup Forumsentlemen. Got him to settle for 140 exactly, pulled the trigger. I'm not the proud owner of a banged up, in need of love, T440P.

If I remember, I'll come back and post before-after pics.

Whos this guy?

game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=983&gid2=1248&compare=Nvidia Quadro K2000M-vs-Nvidia GeForce GT 730M
Use that as reference, then compare to;
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-K2000M-vs-Nvidia-Quadro-K2100M/m8574vsm7811
Userbenchmark doesnt seem to have the GT730m

OC autism. Read the first sentence of the OP, and

I bought an X220, with SSD, for my brother for $110 just recently. There are plenty offers like this on Ebay.

That guy is ‘idab’ himself? I thought he had a youtube channel or something. I want more Sup Forums ppl in my youtube feed

Bump, want to sell this and get an X220.

Should I buy a new X270 for 1000 buckaroos. Want an x230 upgrade.

>buying new
I seriously hope you don't do this.

looks like we've found idab's first real fanboy.

gg

is this the real idab? I've been your biggest fan for years. Do you really own a thinkpad? You're so kewl. pls repsond

shit. how do you delete a post?

I want an X series that is NOT the 1366 x 768 resolution and it's impossible for me to find one here used.

Alternatively, are the x250/260/270 screens easily upgradable myself? If so maybe I'll just do that.

Whats the deal with these? Are they as durable as other Thinkpads?

amazon.com/dp/B01N16GL1J/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=92EJZ&pf_rd_r=FN6YN99SB2PTDPX86VC5&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01N16GL1J&pd_rd_w=9sWSG&pf_rd_i=2 in 1&pd_rd_r=b2f0937d-3fbb-4f0e-9249-4ad2e92246a7&ie=UTF8&qid=1516345617&sr=1

I dont use a trip

never will

no. it's lenovo throwing thinkpad branding on their consumer trash.

>64378092
Nice try tomatoes
your reverse psychology won't work here.

It's the 19th. stop pretending to be me.

That doesnt look like a bad deal. Unless you want to do something besides web browse and email.

Not where I live. still the 18th

>recommending consumer trash
I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from an idiot who shills the t440s.

I've reported you. Stop copying me. My lawyer said that as soon as my trademark paperwork is filed, you will be legally liable if you continue using my property.

you live in UTC Time zones -9 to -12 then
so unless you live in on a small island, I'm guessing you live in alaska

He's a fraud. I posted that yesterday. I'm the real idab®.

Would tpg generally consider a T470 w/ a FHD panel, 8 GB ram, 72whr 2nd battery and a 512 GB SSD for 900 worth it if any serious work can be done by my desktop or by sshing into my unis server?