Debian only

Debian Stable is the only workstation OS you need if you are a serious software developer, and ipso facto an advanced computer user, who is developing for Linux, embedded, web, or performing computational science, or research into anything relating computers or computation.

This is not arguable.

Debian wants to be the "universal OS" but the fact is that yes it could be, but OSX just has them beat on the laptop. That said, I installed Debian Stretch today on my workstation, replacing ubuntu, and it was the first time I was genuinely excited by an OS since getting good at OSX. Ask me why.

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/google-moves-to-debian-for-in-house-linux-desktop/
comma.guide/vocative-comma/
leonardo-m.livejournal.com/77079.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Debian stable mustard race reporting for duty

>enjoy your ancient packages

I used Debian for 15 years and it was indeed the universal operating system. Of course, because of its substantial market share it had to be infiltrated with NSA/systemd which makes it unusable for private information.

To bad Devuan is pretty dead because Debian without systemd is the best OS out there. I use antiX as desktop now. My NAS runs Devuan until I find something better.

I am enjoying my reasonobly up to date, but execptionally stable packages in my system core.

For any extras, I just install from the Sid repo.

no point in staying cucked by ancient packages when it's not necessary, but it's just as stupid to upgrade to stuff that will break your development machine

Why not Devuan, or Linux Mint 17.3 ?
What's easier for a n00b like me?

gamer baby detected

I don't need anything more than feature complete working versions with the latest security patches. Guess what? That's Debian Stable.

Because I want the real deal

>What's easier for a n00b like me?
Mint. Devuan is for people who don't like systemd.

I use Windows 7

I'll go install it on my laptop

That's fine, but our software is only supported on RHEL and CentOS, so that's where I develop. Gentoo user at home...

What kernel does it come with...!?

>RHEL and CentOS
what stack is it using that can't be run on any other GNU OS?

NT
:3

why would anyone run an old smelly kernel

even debian 9 has 4.9

>Gnome
Not even once. Also, Fedora has better packages.

>linex
You're only supposed to take that when you have problems with your stomach, like diarrhea.

better in the sense that they are insidious additions to any stable development machine that requires a defined, unchanging set of functionality

Just more stuff in general that I use. On Debian I've had to download .deb files and install them manually but I've never had to download a .rpm for Fedora. It's all in the repos.

Installation via RPMs, real-time data acquisition via in-house developed C code. It *may* work on another stack, but we can't support it. You have to limit your options at some point; also for mil/official compatibility.

>letting someone decide which packages get installed on your system
>no AUR on debian
yea I'll just stick with my arch install thanks

but nodejs and sql packages are old as fuck user

Wasn't Debian testing the way to go? Heard it runs stable and also has the latest stuff on it, even though they call it testing. Well I read it here, so it's a possibility that some guys just tell bullshit the whole day.

>debian unstable
>stable?
dude...

their policy on proprietary drivers is retarded. They cant manuall patch or do anything to nvidia blobs, yet they wont give users multiple version choices like uboongo, because fuck new hardware and fuck you if you have a problem with the specific version, go install a .run package (but fuck you if you are installing a .run package) Other than its a solid distro, solid 9/10

>systemd

>their policy on proprietary drivers is retarded
>proprietary drivers are retarded
FTFY

>800+ MiB just running the DE

UWOTM8

It's shit. Debian's idea of stable is "we didn't get any bug reports".

Problem with that is, there aren't a lot of linux users looking for bugs in the first place, and even fewer deviating from a few common configurations, usually the defaults, which are shit, or i3+urxvt, which is shit. The end result is an OS which isn't actually all that stable when it really counts. Also, they're freetards (communists) and this is AMERICA.

So I use RHEL.

bonus
Debian: wants to be upstream, can't be, patches remain debian specific
Redhat: IS upstream

>Debian's idea of stable is "we didn't get any bug reports".
What?!? No!

Debian's idea of stable is not to update packages to other major version so you don't face problems while keeping your system up to date.

Ive just moved to debian its great apart from I'm having trouble launching things with gksu can anyone help? When the gksu prompt loads up I can't click the input field so it doesn't let me enter a password only the cancel and okay buttons works. Although everyone shits on gnome I think its a pretty nice de

>Debian's idea of stable is "we didn't get any bug reports".
They actually backport security patches from newer versions of supported packages. Their idea of stable is that the package version stays the same feature-wise, and gets only security and bug related fixes.

>Redhat: IS upstream
and that's why you are a perpetual beta (tester)

Debian Testing is more stable than Debian Unstable, but it doesn't receive security updates and upstream updates take longer to be released for Testing than for Unstable.

Testing still doesn't have the Meltdown patch, for instance. And it makes sense, since Testing is not supposed to be used in workstations or production machines, only to develop and test the next version of Debian.

This. Software testing is important and necessary but not on a machine that needs to get shit done, thanks. Bleeding edge can be fun on a desktop but for a "Universal Operating System" this is unacceptable.

Post comfy debians desktops senpais, what terminal can i get to have a clear background

budgie is buggy, but your waifu is pretty

my bad, that's just a dock

Your blog post was alright man.

>what terminal can i get to have a clear background
That won't help readability, fa.m

>Devuan is pretty dead

It's actively developed.

>Ask me why.
Why won't you tell that without asking? Afraid it will be deemed as a blogpost?

I hope. I like it a lot. I'm just a bit worried Devuan is still at Jessie.

>Made with New Technology Technology

>mouse sensitivity slider does nothing
It might be my PS/2 mouse but this is not acceptable in 2018.

>7398MB

systemd sucks

What is debian testing?
What is sid?
Debian stretch added 15k packages

Dunno if I should switch from Linux Mint. Came from Manjaro before, but got fed up with updates constantly breaking shit on my w520

I switched from Ubuntu to Debian and I never went back.

The only other 'nix I occasionally use now is freebsd. Debian dropped support for pentium 1 and 486.

if you're tired of some update breaking your shit as a result of half-assed quality control then debian stable is the os for you. anything else and you might as well be running windows

>plebian
>gnome
>systemd

Just kys, my man.

I did the same, love it.

>Linux
GNU/Linux
>OSX
macOS

Sorry for beeing alive.
Ah thanks for clearing that up.

That sounds reasonable. Alright, I’ll do it.

>using a distro that rapes upstream software with a gorillion patches
No thanks.

>Serious developer
>Not using alphas or RCs to detect breaking changes in packages you depend on and giving useful feedback on new features

I tried Debian
I tried Archlinux
I tried Manjaro xfce
I even tried fucking gentoo
I'm currently trying ubuntu

I never found a distro that had an actual balance between "it work" and "it's not bloated".
Ubuntu work but is fucking bloated to death, I'm considering as a last resort some kind of netinstall.

Debian doesn't work.
Archlinux doesn't work.
Nothing fucking work.
I love linux for dev, but if only it worked.
I'm fucking done doing sysadmin all day to have something that just fucking work. I want to develop softwares, not fucking around with my OS to have basic stuff like working sounds.

Windows is even more bloated so it's not an option, and discussing it with colleague made me actually consider buying an overpriced piece of apple shit to actually have an OS I'm confortable working with.

Please send help

Install Gentoo.

hackintosh

What you say is true, but you can say this for almost any distro.

Once you get past the initial stage of excitement that comes with being new to Linux and distro-hopping a lot, you realize that most distros are pretty much the same shit. The only major difference would be the package manager. The pre-installed desktop doesn't matter because you can get any DE on any distro.

MacOS

buy an apple man

Get the FUCK out Debian soyboys

Debian is a distro for people who don't know what they're doing

I always thought that about Ubuntu.

>ipso facto
Why do people on Sup Forums try to confuse me with these weird words?

Ubuntu is just a pre-riced Debian.

>but OSX
Oh... It's one of THESE threads

That's not Ubuntu LTS, mate

I love debian, the only reason Im not using it is because it doesnt have a good equalizer. And that is something I need. If i could get Pulseaudio Equalizer on debian I would switch in a heartbeat.

Here you go, lad
Work in progress but I like it

Cleaner workspace here

We do have that

wish there was a debian fork with openrc and libressl

This just in, Google switches from Ubuntu to Debian
zdnet.com/article/google-moves-to-debian-for-in-house-linux-desktop/

It's spelled "plebeian", plebeian.
>Get the FUCK out Debian soyboys
"Get the FUCK out of Debian, soyboys."
Note the vocative comma.
comma.guide/vocative-comma/

>systemd
Go away.

Enjoy your broken packages Arch nigger

>using 1200mb of ram already after just 5 minutes of normal usage
jesus fucking christ my boy i have like, 12 tabs of firefox open, weechat w/ bitlbee, and my Sup Forums terminal client all running under i3 and polybar and I'm using 1300mb of RAM. I could easily cut it down to 400mb if I just close firefox. You need to fucking stop using dumb shit.

>Fedora doesn't have packages
FTFY, especially true for workstations

This Just do it, even Ubuntu 17.04 shipped with a then broken kernel (4.10).

TempleOS

Debain has an openrc package and you can easily remove systemd (there's even a package called systemd-must-die and if you want to do it yourself, all you have to do is install openrc, sysvinit-core and sysvinit-utils along with wicd before you do remove systemd). It doesn't have libressl, which is a bummer though.

But Debian just werks. What's wrong with it?

Use a Jack server and calf plugins. Really worth initial effort on setting your soundcard parameters.

Some dam renders nowadays ....

Nice font. What is this font?

Inconsolata-g
Fork of inconsolata

leonardo-m.livejournal.com/77079.html
Link includes comparison

1080ti drivers refuse to work
i have a ryzen 1700x
ubuntu for me, it just werkz

>systemd
just delet it
without-systemd.org

Many thanks!

>mfw debian's repo is almost 9x the size of Fedora repo

>wanting your precisely tuned machine you use to develop software other than the debian OS to break

do you even understand what's going on here?

>Once you get past the initial stage of excitement that comes with being new to Linux and distro-hopping a lot, you realize that most distros are pretty much the same shit. The only major difference would be the package manager. The pre-installed desktop doesn't matter because you can get any DE on any distro.

I have distrohopped. I started using ubuntu as my work station at work for a few years, but I've just run into so many problems because they like to pull the rug out from under their power users, and yeah I was using LTS before you try to wisecrack.

CentOS is a bit too old, but I use it on my server. Debian stable is the perfect balance of being reasonably up to date (works with all my tool chains), feature rich, and stable. like i said i just install my browser from the Sid repo