What are ACTUAL good keyboards, for a fast typist?

What are ACTUAL good keyboards, for a fast typist?

I've been burnt twice so far by mechanical memeboards:
> MX Clear
> Topre

I no longer have the free money to just impulse buy shit, and keyboard reviews are like headphone reviews in that it's often a circlejerk of buyer's remorse and placebo effect.

Other urls found in this thread:

input.club/whitefox/
youtube.com/watch?v=z1dmPyGESxg
imgur.com/a/ti9mK
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You just answered your own question

are you illiterate?

Isn't any cheap shit rubber dome keyboard enough?

I have a realforce 91u jis and it is great for typing. The variable switches are nice too. I like it more than any bottom of the barrel Dell keyboard but if you don't have the money then any upgrade is probably not necessary.

I'm using topre and am quite a fast typist. What is in your opinion wrong with the keyboard/switches? I am personally very satisfied even after three years and I am being very honest here.

It's ridiculously mushy and it's too easy to trigger accidentally. I'll press a key and end up triggering the key right next to it. Slightly leaning on the keyboard will trigger a key. Also due to this "mushyness", I have to bottom out to get any sort of tactile response.
The point is I basically have to pay a lot of attention while typing, and that's just the exact opposite of what I want.
t. >120 WPM

That's funny. I have never experienced anything like you described in terms of triggering a wrong key. Yeah I guess the keyboard is a bit mushy and is probably one of those things that one either likes or does not. Anyway, it's good that you know what you want but I would not go out and call topre a bad keyboard because it is not, it's just not for your fingers.

t.>130 WPM

buy a unicomp or a real high quality rubber dome

What's wrong with clears? I hope you realize that switch choice is completely up to preference, and if you don't give any info on what you like/want nobody can recommend you anything.

Whats the point of learning fast typing in current age? Its not like you type 100 pages of text a day - you spend typing 5% of the time you are in front of the computer at worst, and what does it matter if it will become 2.5%? Isn't it all just self importance circlejerk and memes?
t. proud 55 WPM

Yeah it's not for me. I don't actually think it's a bad keyboard, it's just the sort of thing you put in an OP to get people to reply (but for what it's worth, Topre is overpriced as shit, and I bet you agree on that one). If I lived in a country where I could buy second-hand, I'd be content. But paying international shipping and then getting something that pisses me off is the worst kind of experience.

p.s. if we're doing dick-measuring contests here I can also type at >130WPM and I don't consider this is a useful skill (unless I decide to become a court typist or something). However, I've seen many mechanical keyboard """enthusiasts""" that type at a shit pace and think their experience is relevant to an actual touch-typist.

Kailh pink switches feel great to me but I type much faster on a romer G.
t. 160wpm

>it's often a circlejerk of buyer's remorse and placebo effect.

no shit, it's called 'getting memed'

go use some keyboards irl and buy one you like

> I'll press a key and end up triggering the key right next to it.

Just sounds like you're a fat fuck tbqh senpai desu.

I type on 35g Gateron switches all day, I have never had an accidental key-press. Lay off the fries and it'll be easier to move your fingers, tubby.

Get a chiclet keyboard. Mine was $25, love it. Brand is Kensington.

build your own keyboard

>keyboard reviews are like headphone reviews in that it's often a circlejerk of buyer's remorse and placebo effect.

Like he said, you answered your own question. OP, you are genuinely a fucking retard.

Memes aside, if you want a keyboard that isn't mushy, get some buckling springs. A used model M can be gotten for like $30-40, you might just need to clean it a bit before use.

No buddy.

Get mx brown, instead of memes.

Op btfo

The seller I got my Model M from turned out to be the senior state champion in fast typing and added that the Model M was the best keyboard ever built.

He's now switching to a Cherry G80-3000 SLCDE that feels very similar, according to him.

I'm not a fast typer, I'm still practicing touch-typing. But I love the feeling of that Model M

A stenograph is the fastest keyboard in the world. As a matter of fact all the world records for fastest typing are done by a stenographer

Bre I use a lenovo preferred pro II at work, I am no professional typist but when I have to I can usually dish out 85-90 WPM, its rubber dome $20 keyboard (full sized), sounds pretty soft and I dont think its mushy.
Good luck!

> and keyboard reviews are like headphone reviews in that it's often a circlejerk of buyer's remorse and placebo effect.

i always answer to people that your preferred switch and keyboard always will be a matter of feeling, the type of switch does not influence your performance only if you type so fast where your fingers don't even generate enough pressure to push a 60g spring, then maybe a switch like clears would be recommended.

Чёпaцaныклaвиaтypa?

I am a fast typist and I use an IBM MODEL M.

If you genuinely bought a mechanical keyboard thinking you'd type faster, then you are clinically retarded and will be stuck typing 30WPM your whole life. The idea behind a mechanical keyboard is comfort and ergonomics. Pic related. It's you.

It depends on how hard you press down on your keyboard and what kind of keycaps and springs you like. Basically it's down to preference

MX green switches are best for fast typers on a keyboard

user I can link a video of a super fast typer
input.club/whitefox/

youtube.com/watch?v=z1dmPyGESxg

Here is the speed test of the keyboard with a fast typer

should I get these? They look so comfy.
imgur.com/a/ti9mK

no

I can type 100wpm on an OEM piece of shit from a second hand store.

You get mechanical keyboards if you don't give a shit that they are LOUD AS FUCK and just want a nice feel.

That said if I did get a keyboard it would be low profile scissor switch, quiet as fuck with low travel, not a full sized mechanical so I can play fucking finger hopscotch while someone wonders if I'm playing with legos.

I want this exact keyboard I want this size I want these keycaps I want the cyrlic

You can just get a silent mechanical keyboard instead

But it's neither.

Sustained 100 WPM shitposter reporting in.

> keyboard reviews are like headphone reviews
It's worse. Headphones at least have objective measurements that are meaningful. Different finger lengths operate best with different switches and keyboard designs.

Do not buy SHIT until you know what the correct actuation distance for you is.

Personally, I prefer a linear stroke with a super short actuation distance, but I KNOW that's not right for most people. For me, actuation feedback like clicks and tactile feedback are only a hindrance. Most people will find my keyboard to be way too mushy.

Being able to shitpost as close as possible to the speed of thought should need no further justification.

What? He just recognized that the information out there on the subject is of low quality.

Unironically I like the basic dell keyboards best for typing on.

I wonder why that is, probably because they are using shortcuts by typing abbreviations that get translated by a progrm to the full word, which often turns out wrong anyways.

If you want to type fast you need MX Reds, but they're the most basic bitch keyboards you can get. Where's the fun in non-tactile-feedback keyboards?

The HP KU-1156 (updated version of HP's standard grey and black giveaway keyboard) is actually great, really nice feel and sound and is only like £10/$10.

unironically i dislike the two mechanical keyboards i own, my favorite keyboards are probably pretty much all basic keyboards included with office machines, and absolutely the best of the best are probably the IBM/Lenovo basic keyboard and Sidewinder X4

Are there any major differences between Unicomp and a model M ? From what I've read they pretty much seem the same?

Get a keyswitch tester.
Or, even better, get a hot swappable keyboard, so that you can switch out your switches if you change your mind.

Yeah, I'm currently arriving to the same conclusion. Thinking of going back to my old Samsung dt-35.

if you use the mouse this much youre a brainlet
the keyboard is just better ergonomically, in pretty much all use cases except games.

Unicomp is very nice and not expensive

An IBM (or a Lexmark) Model M will be heavier and sturdier, while Unicomp is clearly a cheaper product; also, the lettering will be a bit off, and tolerances will be looser. All this because Unicomp's manufacturing tools are literally the same of the original manufacturing line, so they're 30 years old and worn out, and also Unicomp uses much less plastic for the cases and thinner metal for the backplate than IBM did. If you can find an original one in good conditions at a decent price, it's worth going through the whole cleaning process, otherwise Unicomp is fine too.

please answer my question

To those of you that have O-rings, how do they affect actuation time, and how tall are they? Also tell me how using two o rings on one keycap feels.