you should know JavaScript, but it can't be the only thing you know

the world needs less javascript

ok thanks

Typescript > Javascript

Absolutely soy

Herd mentatlity.

no u

Learn JSFuck instead jsfuck.com/

If you want to have a job and don't know anything else, sure. It's much nicer language than 10 years ago.

this

The only people that like Javascript are the people that only know Javascript

Imagine the pain Jim lives through each and every day seeing these people. He just wants to spend time with his server and his shell. This morning Chris came to him and asked him if he could switch everything to OS.js. He made it nearly until lunch but then a familiar face appeared. It was Shannon. Shannon told Jim that it's unacceptable that he continues with his microaggressions. Jim thinks about it but all he remembers doing is asking the new secretary Stacey if she needs help with setting up her new computer. Jim just looked confused at Shannon but Shannon just replied: "It's not my job to educate you".

JS is a dogwhistle for people who thought they could just memorize a bit of syntax in undergrad compsci and stop learning after that.

If youre not one of these people you wouldn't have any reason to discuss the laughable possibility of not learning JS.

i've never had to do anything complex enough in javascript that I have had to 'learn' it

unless you're making some fancy app it's not hard to learn how to use jquery and make ajax requests and handle everything else server side.

honestly i have no shame copy and pasting most my javascript code

What's Sup Forums opinion on Flow? I've been only using typescript, but it looks like a better approach.

False.

When you learn JS, are you suppose to learn all the other web languages(html, css) or can you learn JS on it's own?

You can learn pure js, if you want to only write node backends.

Might as well. Don't go soy, though.

Where do I go after learning JS? There's all these "catchy name".JS in the job offers it's confusing as fuck.
Or could it be that asking this question means I don't really know JS?

The older I get, the more I become Jim.

Typescript + C# or nothing at all

github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

Those catchy name things are frameworks, because supposedly working with pure Javascript is a pain in the ass. Just pick a framework and stick to it until it dies in a few years, rinse and repeat. Seems like React is the hot thing right now.

need js for webdevelopment.

>called Gregory
>sports that beard

For sure that's intentional

Damn, this is really helpful. Thank you user.

Hah I noticed that guy standing out as a soyboy as well when I was browsing the blockstream staff. I am sure there are lots of non soyboy JavaScript people. That guy is just front end or some shit anyway.

Mr. Dennis aint no soyboy

Another day, another 1Mb uploaded to RED

Is it really so bad?
Been learning JS recently, it actually seemed pretty nice to me. Nice C-like syntax, neat support for functional concepts, didn't actually find much to dislike. Maybe OOP is pretty shit, and there are quite a few historical hacks in the language. I guess OOP being shit is probably huge for big projects, but not like JS is intended for those. Honestly, I like it more than Python.
Does dislike come after you start using it extensively, or something? I mean, the language itself isn't that clean, and I csn see some wreckage left from obvious redefinition wars, but it wasn't really awful to either use or read it. CSS is honestly a lot more horrible to work with, from the same stack.
t. dumb CS undergrad

OOP in js isn't really that bad. It's simple, but it works.
The thing is, it's practically impossible to maintain vanilla js project with more than 3 people in team. And it would take really long time, there is no point in implementing everything yourself.

JS is very useful because the internet is very useful and JS allows for user interactive without sending requests to a server for some trivial action.
You can write in ES6 (latest JS standard) which boasts improvements over the previous spec.

>JS is very useful because the internet is very useful
Fucking hell

Meaning, you don't need to download and run, install or compile a program necessarily, it can be run in the browser, now more reliably than before.

If you want to do web development then yes you need to learn javascript. And php for that matter.

and the internet is very useful because js is very useful

js is very useful because internet is very useful

You don't "learn" javascript.
Just use it when you need it.

Why PHP? Many people program on the web with C#, Ruby or Python. I myself program in Python.

Not a lazy comment, though. I know some PHP and have written a few small web apps with it. I just think it feels like coding with a duct tape.

See
faggots

>t use it when yo
Are you sure try node, and other framework

Just because your leet little hacker buddies write programs in python to do incredible things like modify a file, doesn't mean SoftwareCorp, the company that would be hiring you, is using it for their program you're going to have to maintain. Expect to use languages that have been bad practice for decades. Those are the ones you need to know.

For most legacy code and a lot of the current web still relies on php (e.g. Wordpress)

Why are you so angry.

Because I'm in the middle of a server migration and on lunch right now. Got like 5 minutes left before I go back in.

Alright, I understand you

learn C or Rust and compile to WebAssembly instead.
Thank me later

>compiling fast and efficient system languages to slow, badly designed scripting languages creating something even more slow and unstable

>WebAssembly

This thing will never take off if they don't forcibly replace JS with it.

Yes, but only so you're able to faster unfuck whatever unholy abomination pahjeet made when the problem escalates far enough they have to pull a backend dev over in order to fix it