CS vs. Computer Engineering (EE + CS)

> CS vs. Computer Engineering (EE + CS)

I see a lot of hate for CS on Sup Forums. Why should I pursue Computer Engineering instead of CS?

According to media there is an insatiable demand for software developers in my country now and years to come.

Other urls found in this thread:

port.ac.uk/courses/computing-and-creative-technologies/bsc-hons-computer-science/#structure
artint.info/2e/html/ArtInt2e.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I will get a job either way. Really asking for why I see hate for CS here. I like physics so CE might be interesting.

>According to media there is an insatiable demand for software developers in my country now and years to come.
The eternal lie, an excuse for importing cheap pajeet developers.

Pretty much. OP, you can look if the danish gov publishes job market reports which often show "gaps" between supply and demand in the job market. Most likely there are none to few jobs which actually have a gap and if so it will be one which needs multiple years of experience

3rd year CE student here, had an internship with a lot of software dev people, aka CS/software eng.

You'll be absolutely miserable in CS, it's menial jobs, software development cycles, competing with Pajeets for your job. CE is a lot closer to EE and you learn an entirely different set of skills. It's a lot more math and physics, you'd probably be working at a company developing FPGAs instead of writing database code for a bank.
Engineering is well respected profession, and a protected title in a lot of places. You'll probably make more and have more interesting work, and have a lot more and varied oppourtunities later than just being a slave codemonkey.

>>MFW IT degree making 85K doing nothing.

"Computer ______" degrees vary so much between schools that trying to compare them is more often than not an exercise in futility.

Nice, 65k but at work and just dinged my shammy to 101 in wow...

>competing with Pajeets for your job
>implying this is not true of EE too

Don't kid yourself, Intel and the like have been moving IC design teams offshore since the 2000s. The principal engineers already in the industry will make do moving into consulting roles, but new grads are basically fighting for scraps with the Cadence monkey teams in India.

The only thing left in CE/EE that hasn't been outsourced or commoditized is IoT/embedded, and those are basically just software jobs, with the exact same problems that you mentioned. At least in software, every shitty SV startup decided to cargo-cult Google's hiring practices, bidding up the market cost of developers.

Just skimmed 80 page government report on this. About 30% of failed IT joblistings had programming as a sought competence.

Wasn't able to find something as clear as that. But CS institutions boast of negligible (

>and, god forbid it, coding java.
What's the problem?

To elaborate on my previous reply. The report did also mention what the companies then did to cover the missing jobs. Pic related. Report is from may 2016.

Im just biased. I just dropped out of a software development bachelor after first semester bc. I realized it was the maths and CS stuff I found interesting, not developing Java code following rigorous design patterns.

Can someone tell me if this is a good course?

I've got no fucken idea of what to look for or what is good or bad, I've only been told to avoid webdev which is, as far as i can tell, impossible as all uni courses (in the UK) that i've checked have them.

port.ac.uk/courses/computing-and-creative-technologies/bsc-hons-computer-science/#structure

I'm the reverse. Also live in Denmark (not Danish tho) and currently doing CS masters after finishing soft dev BSc and I feel my autism increasing. Also junior dev work is hard to find if you can't speak the language because they are all also consultants that expect you to talk to the clients.

Forgot to add; Computer engineering doesn't really exist in UK unis and seems to be just integrated with CS, theirs software engineering though which seems to be the codemonkey degree.

I understand. What do you think about machine learning / AI? It might be better suited for your interests than computer engineering.

Codemonkeys are people with only secondary education. If you got a university degree, you're definitely not a monkey of any kind and a more serious developer with varied set of skills.

The idea sounds enticing sure. But I really do not have a grasp of what machine learning is. I know very little graph theory and very little probability theory from the semester I did, which included discrete maths. But Machine learning / AI is definitely something I could specialize in if I were to choose computer science at my OP pic highlight.
Almost everyone in Denmark does the full MSc, so generally it's general CS for the bachelor (3 years) and then another 2 where you specialize in e.g. AI.

I think a lot of engineers are expected to be consultants too though. Was once told it is easier to teach an engineer how to sell, than teach a salesperson about engineering :)

Not really as a bachelors at the uni im looking at either (only as a MSc). Not by name at least. But CE should be electrical engineering + computer science, so it is possible.
As for your link, you need to find the actual course database of the university and check. I don't think they mean web dev by "foundations of the web" most likely network stuff.

Eh, I don’t see the point in CE unless you like physics. I hate physics so I settled for CS

Yes I have no trouble being social and being a salesperson. I just have to get fluent in Danish.
I'm doing my masters in cs in Aalborg. Here's the AI book we used: artint.info/2e/html/ArtInt2e.html if you want to check it out. Its pretty interesting but quite the learning curve for me desu.

Very sketchy looking link, thanks though. Reading a few chapters in the curriculum books is probably the single best way to find out what a degree is about.

nah its just the book website

Yeah, I visited it by just googling artint info and saw it was the book before clicking the link. But I generally do that for all links on Sup Forums haha

Jews are smart but smarter than British Jews? I don't believe so.

In my university Software engineers are considered retarded compared to CS majors.
They have to do a common engineering first year and added on ethics courses which means they're always behind in actual knowledge.

3rd year CE here.
It literally doesn't matter. CE curriculum is more practical and will ultimately give you a broader range of skills. It's also tougher.

What you chose to do with them is up to you, I've had two internships doing software at the botnet and will probably go into software after graduating. It's just more money if you have the skills, plain and simple.

ACTUAL CS, not bullshit software engineering flooded with meme patterns, is beautiful and no easier than an engineering degree. The problem is that such a program is becoming incredibly rare.

>meme patterns
Yeah everyone knows that TRUE programmers don't follow industry standards and just write what is BEST.

This, but unironically.

>implying the "industry" writes what is best

>implying someone who only studied algorithms and datastructures knows how to write maintainable software

It's because 90 percent of Sup Forums are virgin nu-males that'll never be compatible to do anything more advanced than fizzbuzz and hence the hate for CS.

That's exactly the kind of people for which those industry standards were made of. Follow our meme patterns and you might have something kinda working and barely maintainable with your army of codemonkeys.
My point still holds, it is not what is best.

Well academic rankings are probably bullshit anyway. Just posted it to show that CS university is actual good one (I know from other sources than ranking).

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the money part because botnet companies pay very well?
What makes CE tougher?

Yes the university where I would apply for CS is actual computer science.

CS became mainstream, and in classic Sup Forums fashion, anything too mainstream is instantly hated.

so fags who of you besides me study CS in pic related?

Is your autistic canteen an actual good place to hangout? I went there to visit and thought it had a really nice vibe

I can believe that

How can you tell which places offer actual CS? I live in Virginia, am I fucked?

Nice report. Too bad I can't read mooșespřekkeń...

>CE fag here
I'm finishing up 4th year this winter and havea decent job lined up.
My experience with ECE students is that there are few lazier people. Trying to do something as simple as getting someone to use git is like pulling teeth with some of this fucking idiots.
I often wonder if my education would feel this useless if I had taken EE instead of CE. Most of the software courses are just things I could have learned on my own or thing that I actually had already learned on my own.

>Eh, I don’t see the point in CE unless you like physics
I took kinetics and electromagnetic physics in first year and haven't taken physics since and I'm in the end of 4th year CE. who told you that?