Can we get a Vulkan thread going?

Can we get a Vulkan thread going?

I don't know what to talk about exactly, but surely people here have their hobbyist projects.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/KhronosGroup/Khronosdotorg/blob/master/api/vulkan/resources.md
vulkan-tutorial.com/
libretro.com/index.php/nintendo-64-vulkan-low-level-emulator-parallel-pre-alpha-release/
dsogaming.com/editorial/the-state-of-dx12-games-in-2017-is-directx-12-losing-its-steam/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fun for uninstalling after gpu driver updates

tried to do small rendering demo, realized i'm two brainlet, went back to opengl
Anyone has an overview how are Intel HD and other lowest tier graphics supported?

It looks hard user, but it's not that bad after a few runs.

I think Intel were saying something about getting rid of Vulkan over DirextX12.

This

Isn't there a spec thread you two can shit up?

It's technically the best API right now, but it's overly complicated and scares away many developers.

Btw. in Case some of you Sup Forumstards don't know: Vulkan is currently the best (and most likely the only) thing that could bring us the year of the Linux desktop. Unlike DX it's not bound to Windows and it's faster than DX as well. Now that OpenGL is more and more obsolete it's either Vulkan or sucking Microsofts DX dick for the next decade.

The best thing about Vulkan is not that it will give devs the super low level access they all need but that it will allow essentially unrestricted competition in the development of higher level APIs that can be implemented as user space libraries.

No more having to pick between DX11 and OGL 3.x, plus waiting for vendors to fix shit in their driver blobs.

E.g., somebody could write a OGL->Vulkan shim that worked on effectively any OS and vendor, so AMD users could have non-shit implementations, etc.

I don't think it's complicated, they do a good job of utilizing C well.
The problem is the setup really, because that's the main hurdle.
I've been doing OpenGL for how many years and had no idea about command buffers or how they work underneath.

Vulkan and DX12 are just memes.

You're saying people will start to make wrapper libraries that abstract away all the enumerating, swap chain setup and layer/extension configuration from Vulkan DX12?

Where to find good resources ?

I think they both need to integrate a default setup to mimic their respective predecessors.
They should both just have a default, simple setup that lets people tinker with it AFTER something doesn't work along with having the option to alter every single detail on setup.

It's not really complicated at all, there is just a total absence of libraries associated with it due to the fact that it is so now, this makes breaking into developing with Vulkan far more difficult than with OpenGL

github.com/KhronosGroup/Khronosdotorg/blob/master/api/vulkan/resources.md

Best for me is the Vulkan Programming Guide and vulkan-tutorial.com/

Emulator authors seem to love it, given all the stuff moving to it.

It's probably very good for simulating how shit is rendered on odd hardware like the N64 video chip.

Why would you race with Unity or Unreal, its too late anons.

Both Unity and Unreal are too entrenched in C# and C++ respectively from a programming perspective.
The ideal of Vulkan and DirectX12 taken from Mantle, sort of go against the ideas behind a game engine like Unity or Unreal.

They're too UI heavy and too concept heavy.

Does this mean that we'll finally get working N64 emulators?

That's the main one.
Parallei use vulkan to emulate the whole video hardware on the GPU instead of using HLE shit:
libretro.com/index.php/nintendo-64-vulkan-low-level-emulator-parallel-pre-alpha-release/

What will you guys do when it's the only API for Fuchsia?

Unreal is not an API

Vulkan is one way a game engine (such as Unreal and unity) can use to talk to the video card, and it is the fastest one.
They're not racing with unity or unreal, they're boosting unity and unreal.
The rival of vulkan is DirectX12, and as it only runs on Windows 10...

Nvidia and iirc amd have already started

It just uses compute shaders. Originally they planned on making an opengl version too.

It actually "talks" to your vulkan driver, and the vulkan driver talks to your GPU.

Yes yes, but needed to simplify it.

Just forget about it
Supporting modern OpenGL or Vulkan on Windows means not supporting Intel

>not embracing Gaben's new high performance DX12 replacement that's going to liberate us from Microsoft's dumb OS version restrictions

I just like the fact that I can play Vulkan games on Windows 7 where otherwise could not since DX12 is WinBotNet only.

So Intel are confirmed for slowly backing off of Vulkan?

Intel never cared about it to begin with

I'd like to think that in light of recent events regarding Intel, that sentiment might change.

>I can wish anyways

And why should they? A high performance API on an Intel HD is about as sensical as a spoiler on a donkey cart.

Fair point, but, Intel to me at least is as stable as it gets on Linux.

It do make sense if you render the windows with it, as the API complexity reduction leads to better battery life, which is exactly why android is making it the standard.

I think people using Intel GPUs don't care about games running fast but rather about games running at all
This isn't the case if Intel completely disregards all modern APIs they weren't bribed to support

This is true, I've never had an issue using Intel graphics with Linux. I tried using AMD graphics with Linux on a laptop back in 2012-2013 and it was a terrible experience. I'm not sure if it's improved since then but I really don't want to go back to those days.

Intel graphics drivers on Linux are not made by Intel, so they are very good

I remember doing small scale OpenGL stuff with a Nvidia GPU and just having all sorts of problems.
Extensions not working, no limit on the CPU usage, several crashes you'd never know how they were caused.

I turned down a job at AMD in Markham Ontario to work on AMD Vulkan drivers, nto stay in Montreal. I work at Rogers. Did I goof it?

Yeah, I'd say so. Working for AMD on graphics drivers for a brand new API would've been great for your resume and career. Especially so if Vulkan supplants DX12 as the most common graphical API.

Tell us fizzbuzzers what you work on user.

I now work at Rogers (senior position) making 65k, amd offered 75k but with crazy rent in toronto area that is more than negated. On the side I sell ethereum mining rigs and plan to incorporate a startup (3d VR project). I wish AMD was in Montreal, could hafve accepted

I'd be happy to offer any insight/advice for any aspiring programmers

Vulkan is like writing a whole OpenGL program before you can even write your OpenGL program. With modern hardware if you're having performance issues with your OpenGL program and you're not rendering a life size ocean real time you probably need to start looking at optimisation.

>senior position
> making 65k, amd offered 75k
Why are non-US programmers so cucked?

You're not wrong. Those numbers are all in CAD. Bear in mind I am 24, just graduated Software Engineering BEng undergrad. Also, cost of living in Montreal is super cheap. Rent/internet/everything except food is like 500 a month.

Have you personally seen projects optimised?

What made them offer you the job?

Rogers or AMD?

If you mean AMD: I was a teaching assistant for a Computer graphics course in university and had some projects in it. The initial C++ test didn't go great but the 2 hour Skype with the florida OpenGL team went very well. My personal projects on github were a plus

P-Post your github...

I like using it to watch anime.

Vulcan is cool dx12 is trash because m$

DX12 is awful because of ComPtrs.

>Anyone has an overview how are Intel HD and other lowest tier graphics supported?
On Windows, Skylake and above are supported. The Linux drivers support Haswell and above.

Developing a 3D engine, I can say with absolute certainty that that is false. Particularly the ability to reuse command-lists and state descriptors is a huge deal compared to OpenGL, allowing pretty much to eliminate CPU work in the optimal cases.

I'm making an abstract rendering API using DX12 and Vulkan. Code is not open yet.

the driver IS vulkan

increasing GPU bound performance was never the point of vulkan or dx12 genius

I don't know who develops the drivers in Linux land but but all Intel chips from Haswell and up have great vulkan support. Performance tweaks and better OpenGL support.
>Mfw I can play a fuckton of Wii games using Dolphin and Vulkan under Linux at a reasonable framerate thanks to that.

Rendering API or a wrapper library to ease setup and execution?

amd was a bit of a pain back in the fglrx days, but current day radeonsi/amdgpu is now the best solution

How is everything Khronos group produces a royalty-free technological miracle?

goals

Currently using vulkan + PoL to run Doom 2016 on a Linux Mint 18.3 machine.

Runs better than its windows 7 counterpart.

Completely forgot that Vulkan existed

i'm not sure if my gpu/drivers support vulkan

>Linux running better than Windows
no shit

So has anyone yet made a comfy higher level API on top of Vulkan to handle all the tedious initialization and just let me give it images, vertices and batches of uniforms to draw shit with?

>The forgotten API: just what is going on with DX12?
>The state of DX12 games in 2017, is DirectX 12 losing its steam?
>Let’s start with the obvious: In 2017 we only got 5 DX12 games and 1 Vulkan game.

dsogaming.com/editorial/the-state-of-dx12-games-in-2017-is-directx-12-losing-its-steam/

The funny thing is: Both Direct3D 12 as well as Vulkan were heavily advertised at SIGGRAPH, GDC, the Build conferences from Microsoft. In the end, almost noone except the big engine developers implemented it, and even on those engines most games do not use them due to increased cost of testing and small market share.

This.
>tfw Sup Forumsay used to shill this piece of turd and said it's the future of gaming
Kek!

The performance advantage of Vulkan-based game compare to DX11 Game is here and exist.
Just compare Doom(2016) and Wolfenstein 2 to other similar game and you'll see that they enjoy a nice fps lead on the same piece of hardware.

I'm not sure if you're baiting or just an awkward person posting here because of AFK social problems, no offense to you. I hope you can talk about this to someone on the cyberspace.