Does ejecting your USB before you take it out actually do anything?

Does ejecting your USB before you take it out actually do anything?

Why don't you do some experiments?

u mean zip disquette

This is how white people acquire knowledge. They approach a topic and systematically find out the answer.
The dumb nigger just sits there "Uuh give the answer man I'm too stupid"

it ensures that no programs are reading/writing data from/to the drive

is there is a pending write it may corrupt the file

Only if you use the dumpster fire that is linuxOS

Yeah it's just like that the ring movie, if you don't do it you'll die within 7 days of a horrible disease called "oh fuck the presentation i worked on the entire night is fucking fucked m8"

Literally never been a problem since we moved away from FAT32. There's no need to eject with modern drives and NTFS or exFAT systems

Ejecting basically runs the equivalent of the sync command an extra time.

it ejects it

>people still use USB drives

You see my dearest person, your logic in this case, is flawed.We gain knowledge by acquiring others experiences and incorporating it into our own. Thus, we don't waste time with an experiment unless we have our doubts about the stated results. You can't spout stupid shit next time, now you turn off the computer and think about your stupidity the next time you think asking questions is something stupid.

prevents impregnation

it finishes any transferes and unmounts the file system

Wrong. NTFS still has enough bugs that pending writes can still leave files in an unrecoverable partially-modified state if the media is suddenly removed. The "New Technology" Filesystem isn't all that new and should've been replaced a decade ago.

Dumb nigger

Yes. Your USB might become corrupt.

When you tell the OS to write to a file, it may not do it immediately. What generally happens is it will save up all your writes in a buffer, and do them in batches to try to be more efficient. Ejecting tells the OS that it needs to finish up the writes.

So yes, potentially it could prevent the corruption of open files.

Kekked

I’m still gonna move to the US

./sync

This is how i as a nonwhite acquire knowledge too.

Dont you mean flash dongle?

Only if you have write caching enabled.

"Eject" does much more than that, it does sync and umount. Ensuring all data has been written and than ensuring that nothing will use it.

That's probably because you use "Quick Removal".

Thanks uncle ruckus

pretty sure Windows syncs after every write

Does shooting myself in brain kill me? Better shoot myself and find out.

It gracefully closes the botnet.
Pretty much all USBs now have trackers and microphones that record all the time and upload to the NSA the second you plug them in.

Why not?
They have faster transfer rates than most internet connections.

I only eject if im using wangblows at work with an exFAT formatted drive because otherwise it nags you to scan it for errors next time you plug it in

Here you call it only "USB", no stick/drive bullshit included

Do it faggot

>usb
>not zip diskette

>your USB
You mean thump stick?

USB is the bus standard, thats like referring to your router as "wifi"

This

It stops any active reads and writes, so there's less of a chance of corrupting what's on it by unplugging it mid-operation.

We do that too, seriously

you absolute moron. you retard idiot bumblefuck. choke on a crusty cumsock

based thump poster

which country do you live in

Perú

Syncs and unmounts the filesystem, that means it waits for pending writes to finish and then prevents the filesystem from being read/modified.
Removing the drive when there's still pending data to write could potentially cause data loss. Depending on the filesystem and the part that was being written, the damage could be bigger.

thumb drive 4 life

I always called it a "junk drive" from mishearing my dad as a kid. Still do.

Data storage dongle

i'd love to move away from FAT32, but the microSD in my android pad won't let me.

what do you use? a telepathic link to the Akashic archive?

Actually, with FAT32 it's less of a problem because Windows doesn't cache nor journal those drives.

Becasue linux assumes that you know what you're doing...

My pocket ssd :^)

Then why do you idiots keep getting shot by cops?

right, so all those university graduates are retards amirite?

Most operating systems do not write directly to a drive. They will write to a cache that gets flushed to drive. When you eject, it forces a flush and prevents any further i/o on the block device.

Faggot.

Sometimes your computer doesn't bother writing all the changes in your files until it feels like it. This improves performance as writing to disk and system calls are slow. Ejecting flushes the cache and writes everything to disk that is being stored in memory.

>56%

I almost never bother to eject them and I can't remember it ever causing me a problem.

I'm probably just lucky.

Many are

This. I've occasionally just pulled out a USB stick after transferring files (especially tiny ones) and found that they're not actually on the goddamn thing, despite the copy process "finishing". Ejecting it first eliminates that issue.

Niggers BTFO

Good point user. This is why we should kill all women. And fags.

>Does ejecting your USB before you take it out actually do anything?
Yes, it flushes the cache. Normally that should happen automatically if the OS uses default settings, but if it doesn't have time to do it (unplug right after copying something) you may end up with missing/corrupted data.

yes, it ensures in-flight writes and written out, and the filesystem is properly closed
basically, you risk file/filesystem corruptions when you unplug it without closing the filesystem first
modern versions of windows default usb drives to synchronous I/O (slow), which reduces the amount of in-flight writes, because they know their users are too stupid to eject them properly