OSS

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-oss4-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-for-better-sound-quality.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linux adopted ALSA because it had better drivers.

OSS3 was shit.
OSS4 tried to be proprietary.

So ALSA won on the driver's end and Pulse fixed shared functionality like per-application volume mixing and an API you can actually develop against without going insane, regardless if you want to handle a buffer yourself or not.

They got greedy.

what happened to JACK?

Still around, god-damn is jack good.

Why is Linux audio a piece of shit?
All I want to do is run supercollider and be able to have the microphone working in Firefox. Is that too much to ask?
Turns out I need to use pulseaudio with Jack and Firefox doesn't have support for this. So now I need to get an add-on for Firefox which opens things in chrome.
What a convoulted messy piece of shit.

You're a piece of shit, stinky.

still less bloated and better than poettershit

Ride.

Fucking Pulse.

That's great and all, but ALSA is Linux-only, so it's fucking useless. Linux devs could either play along with BSD and share ALSA with them, or go back to OSS now that it's free again, but of course they decided to do exactly none of those.

OSS still has better sound quality.
ubuntugeek.com/howto-install-oss4-in-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-for-better-sound-quality.html

ALSA, because NiH syndrome.
Also, Linus ignoring Tanenbaum's wisdom and implementing a clusterfuck of a monolithic kernel with an smp lock labyrinth and absolute shit latency.
If you really, really want to run Linux on a desktop, try this from rt-tests:
# cyclictest --smp -p98 -m
Absolute garbage, right? Go linux-rt, try that again, then never look back.

They went closed source for a while like absolute retards, meaning their monopoly on sound systems disappeared overnight and nobody even tried to touch them. Result is that people focused development on the trash that was alsa while OSS was left to rot. Now it's too little too late.

Just use chrome outright. There's literally no reason to use firecuck in the modern day anyway. And you're placing the blame on GNU when the problem is mosjwilla being niggers as always. Modern firecuck spies on you even MORE than chrome (let alone chromium which has only limited spying) while being slow, bloated and unstable as fuck (and as you've experienced, it's very limited in its software support).
If you need privacy-safe browsing, try otter browser. Just like every single last browser out there it's a chrome clone of course, but it's the best of the pile of shit.

bash: cyclictest: command not found

I don't see a problem here.

>from rt-tests

I didn't know you could retroactively close a piece of software linked to the GPL kernel.

AUR rt-tests, ymmv in some other distro.
Me neither.

Who said anything about retroactive?

Well if it wasn't retroactive, then I fail to see the point of writing an entirely new solution completely from scratch instead of maintaining the existing one.

Also, the question remains: I thought you couldn't close a piece of software linked to the GPL kernel.

Solution: Use Linux.

That's a funny way to spell linux-rt.

Unironically install Gentoo, FF has JACK support there thanks to USE flags.

>tripfage
Solution: rope

>autism

>maintain a garbage stack by reverse engineering proprietary binaries at the risk of litigation despite lack of manpower
OR
>develop the system that already exists and is opensource and maintained
hmmmmmm

I'd rather get waterboarded.

>end result: end up with another garbage stack that is worse because it breaks convention and is non-portable
hmmmmm

>reverse engineering proprietary binaries
But I thought the good thing about open source was that anyone can maintain it, user.

Are you OK user? Are you having a stroke?

Nah, I just laughed too hard at you freetards and ended up pooping a little.

I think you pooped more than poo, or maybe your anatomy is upside-down. Eitherway you should ask a doctor to fix you up.

>I think
Nah, you don't. You wouldn't use Loonix if you did.

Thanks for confirming the hypothesis.

But
> Muh vimperator

No thanks. I want a usable system without having to compile every time.