/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

rosenauer.org/hg/mozilla/file/d2c159cb9bf2/firefox-kde.patch
launchpad.net/~plasmazilla/ archive/ubuntu/releases
crackedlabs.org/en/corporate-surveillance
virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Variables.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't do it just for a filepicker. When it's time to update your browser (and it will be soon), you'll have to recompile it all over again, and it's gonna be a pain in the fucking butt.

I'm willing to suffer that consequence. I miss thumbnails.

If everyone channeled that same energy into trying to convince the developers to stop being such morons, instead of just taking their shit and patching it yourself, we'd probably have a better filepicker by now.

One day you'll get it, user. One day you'll get it.

Is anyone making any .deb packages with Firefox + this patch?

rosenauer.org/hg/mozilla/file/d2c159cb9bf2/firefox-kde.patch

I found this but I'm afraid of making a FrankenDebian if I implement it to my sources.list

launchpad.net/~plasmazilla/ archive/ubuntu/releases

Where do I install the bootloader when dual booting Windows and Linux on two separate drives, the Windows drive or Linux drive? Windows is the primary OS

Whichever drive is set to boot from in your BIOS

The bootloader itself on the linux drive, in /boot.

As for the MBR, it's up to you but make sure it has priority over the other in the boot order. I would put it on the linux one, so if you ever remove the linux drive your windows system will still have the windows MBR and be able to boot.

>posted in the old thread like a retard
I can select my Linux disk from the boot menu, but I can't see the disk in the boot priority menu in my BIOS.
It's been a while since I've used Linux/GRUB, but I'm pretty sure that I just have to do a grub-install and point it to the relevant disk to fix this. Is this the case? cbf reinstalling the OS at this point.

Tried it. It's buggy. If I hit cancel on the filepicker instead of selecting a file, it crashes.

The way it seems to work on my computers is the BIOS lets me order the priority of all the disks, irrelevant of what's on it, even the empty DVD drive or any usb drive I plug in. If it goes through the list and can't boot any of them it comes up with an error: "no bootable media".

Although maybe different ones scan for that ahead of time. And yeah, to install grub use grub-install, also generate a grub.cfg.

grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdx
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Replace sdx with your drive, note that it's not a partition(e.g. sdx1).

The "cpu MHz" field in both lscpu and /proc/cpuinfo is frozen, for each core. However, /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq is dynamic, albeit not in MHz. Any reason this could be? I searched, but can't find details. But this is troubling because I always assumed /sys/ and /proc/ were identical, just with different structures.

Well that didn't fix it, but thanks anyway.
Looks like I'll have to start pulling disks to see what the problem is.

Another user suggested Lumina, but that's too straight for me.

From what I see it should be about the same thing.

arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.c
if (cpu_has(c, X86_FEATURE_TSC)) {
unsigned int freq = aperfmperf_get_khz(cpu);

if (!freq)
freq = cpufreq_quick_get(cpu);
if (!freq)
freq = cpu_khz;
seq_printf(m, "cpu MHz\t\t: %u.%03u\n",
freq / 1000, (freq % 1000));
}

arch/x86/kernel/cpu/aperfmperf.c
unsigned int aperfmperf_get_khz(int cpu)
{
if (!cpu_khz)
return 0;

if (!static_cpu_has(X86_FEATURE_APERFMPERF))
return 0;

aperfmperf_snapshot_cpu(cpu, ktime_get(), true);
return per_cpu(samples.khz, cpu);
}

That looks dynamic to me.

drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c
/**
* cpufreq_quick_get - get the CPU frequency (in kHz) from policy->cur
* @cpu: CPU number
* This is the last known freq, without actually getting it from the driver.
* Return value will be same as what is shown in scaling_cur_freq in sysfs.
*/

Static but it says it's the same as scaling_cur_freq.

You probably shouldn't be falling down to the cpu_khz case, which is defined in arch/x86/kernel/tsc.c It has functions that set it on init and it's probably updated on some events.

How come when I start up my machine, polybar doesn't launch, but when I manually refresh i3, it launches?

I'm using this launch.sh script
#!/bin/bash
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# Terminate already running bar instances
killall -q polybar

# Wait until the processes have been shut down
while pgrep -x polybar >/dev/null; do sleep 1; done

for i in $(polybar -m | awk -F: '{print $1}'); do MONITOR=$i polybar example -c ~/.config/polybar/config & done

echo "Bars launched..."

and have this in my i3 config

###---Startup---###

exec_always --no-startup-id ~/.config/polybar/launch.sh

What am I doing wrong?
Example config seems to be launching fine, mysteriously enough. Yet I can't find any major differences between the example config and mine that would warrant it not launching on startup, but launching on manual i3 reload.

Nevermind I guess it is something in my custom config I'll just look over it

Very interesting, although a bit above my head. Notably, the frozen value seems to be what is detected at boot as the TSC according to logs, which appears to be in relation to a constant frequency instead of actual clock speed. I can't gather why this would be implemented as a fallback though

Is CloverOS still a thing on Sup Forums?
In the archives I can only find old threads with pictures of a desktop/anime tiddies and no real discussion.

Is it easy to install a program?
Are clipgrab, anki and chromium available?
What's the best DE to choose for it?

Oh and I forgot to ask if it can read/write to my ntfs disks.

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xdm
start-stop-daemon: pid value must be a number greater than 0
Try 'start-stop-daemon --help' for more information.

What's wrong here?

-pid or pid location is unset either in a config file on in the memed service script
-the service is killed with kill and not start-stop-daemon so you have a stale pidfile

CloverOS is a thing but it's only used for viewing pictures of traps. You're better off with Debian or Fedora.

Yes, I think, modern Linuces read and write NTFS drives.

where are the "hey here's my anime desktop" threads?

i have a question about my home network.
this might be an issue with windows, so i apologize if this isn't the right thread to ask, but i didn't want to make a new thread.

client: laptop with mint 18.3 cinnamon, kernel 4.5-rc8 (tried all the kernels starting from 4.8)
host: desktop with windows 8.1

desktop is connected to the router through ethernet, laptop is connected through w-lan.

normally i can access the shared folders of the desktop just fine on my laptop. i think the protocol is called samba. but whenever my laptop has been sleeping for a while and i wake it up, it can't access the network folders anymore until i reboot. this didn't happen when i run windows 8.0 as the client.

it seems like the desktop hdd turns off for no reason (even when in use - i tried it with playing music from the network folder on the client and then putting the client to sleep. the music would still play but after ~30 minutes or so it would lose the connection and stop the playback).

i already set the laptop to never suspend on its own in the poweroptions, but it still goes to sleep after a while.

tl;dr: how do i stop linux mint from losing the network connection when suspended or at least stop it from going to sleep in the first place? i'm tired of rebooting multiple times a day.

>w-lan
German detected

indeed
*wi-fi

>tfw the firefox bug report for kdialog was marked WONTFIX years ago
The 57 release would have been such a great time to include it.

Firefox has shit fonts. How i can fix that?

Firefox:

On Chromium...

In the options somewhere you can set the default fonts for the generic font classes (serif, sans-serif and monospace). Check and change those, see if it helps.

I went to plebbit, this triggers the Sup Forums

This? It was already configured that way. I think chromium has some font-rendering engine superior to Firefox.

Just read crackedlabs.org/en/corporate-surveillance
Pure horror. Glad I went freedom soon enough.

Another vim question again.

How do I jump to the space after a character I find.

For instance, on the line below, if I was at the beginning and I want to jump to the ( and insert after it, I could just search for i but have to hit ; to jump, so want to search for "f(" but this brings me out at ( rather than read to append to it. Is there a command to jump to said character and append after it?
package_list.append(i)

Wi

major brainlet here

using mint and want to install VM, but which distribution do I choose here?

virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

is arch a meme distro?

install virtualbox from the repo.

the debian based distros method. Replace with the ubuntu version that your version of mint is based on.

The only one I know of is e or E depending on circumstance. you would still need to do 'a' or 'i'.

I've been running Arch on my Thinkpad for almost a year and on my desktop (which I don't use so much) for slightly less time and I can confirm that it's not a meme. Really enjoy using it, might install Gentoo on my ThinkPad at some point though since I want to change the way my drive is partitioned anyway

I've been falling for the meme since 2016.

Imagine how things are easier when you don't have a Facebook account and don't like anything.

>rainbows

Say I've set up an install from a barebones server iso, What do I need to do and what are the essential components do I need to install in order to turn it into a usable desktop?

ok i will try it, i will disconnect my other drives so i don't accidentally wipe them

???

What do you mean friendly? What? You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but friendly how, I mean friendly like it's easy, it make your shit done? It make you use terminal, it's here to fuckin' use terminal? What do you mean friendly, friendly how? How is Linux friendly? How the fuck is Linux friendly, what the fuck is so friendly about Linux? Tell me, tell me what's friendly!

Fedora or Mint for a laptop for school? It's mainly going to be used for java and python coding for now-

>What do you mean friendly?
I have a friendly recommendation: kindly kill your fucking self out of the thread.

From that two: fedora.

[everyone laughs] Ya motherfucker! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. Anons, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, user. You may fold under questioning.

Well, I can't figure out how to make xdm work on my Pi. What I did:
1.sudo apt-get install xinit xdm openbox obconf obmenu menu
2. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess, uncommented line
# * #any host can get a login window
3. Commented line in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
!DisplayManager.requestPort: 0

What am I trying to do is to connect via XDMCP with Xming. When I do that - I see nothing (pic related). What should I do? I tried googling everything, but no luck for me.

Use something else?
lightweight: slim
integrated VNC login support: lightdm

It can be, as with everything it depends what you find works best for you. their wiki is quite helpful though.

Help me with jack audio please.

I want to route Renoise to a mixer so I can control it's output volume.
I tried routing it with Patchbay to jack-mixer but jack-mixer doesn't save input channels so I have to add a channel in jack-mixer for renoise each time I start it.
Also, Renoise on startup automatically connects to system output instead of only to my jack-mixer.

So my question is: is there a better mixer that could autostart and login and keep the settings? And is there a way so renoise doesn't automatically connect to the master output (speakers) but to my mixer application?

>autostart and login
*autostart on login

sudo visudo, &%$# install/emerge shit
can't into X
what is X?
X is vidi
Fix vidi X
no vidi nvidia X
try nouveau
no Nvidia
try optirun
meh, try primusrun
open terminal: copypaste crypto gibberish. hope is on
black screen
phoneposting for solution

looxin 2018

Yo whats up Sup Forums
I just installed Deadbeef on arch but it doesn't play any of my music? Do I need some adio codecs or something?

Tried lightdm, same result on XDMCP.
Here's my active configuration:
$ /usr/sbin/lightdm --show-config
[Seat:*]
A greeter-session=lightdm-greeter
A greeter-hide-users=true
A session-wrapper=/etc/X11/Xsession

[XDMCPServer]
B enabled=true
B port=177

Sources:
A /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf
B /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

I don't really get the Linux thumbnail meme, I've always used the Nemo file manager and it shows by default a preview of your images. It also worked out of the box on Arch so there's no trickery into making it work.

your custom config might load more quickly than the example conf, and in this case before X properly initializes. Try sleeping for a second before launching the bar

Lads trying to run win 7 on VM but it just freezes completely when starting it.

I'm starting from an .iso file and I've enabled virtualization in the BIOS.

I installed both the base package from software manager and qt based user interface package.

When I go to software manager I can see that it has installed more than just those 2 packages, as in a lot of guest utility packages.

I'll try searching for solutions but I just wanted to try here in case this is due to a common retarded error i made and you knew right away. pic of installed packages.

Using mint btw

It's the file picker in browsers and programs that lacks thumbnails, not in whatever full fledged file manager you're talking about. Click to post an image on 4chin, no thumbnails.

nvm turns out VM version from packages is outdated and doesn't run with the new kernel update

There's actually movement on the Gtk bugzilla for that now. 2018 YOTLD.

Then why am I able to get a thumbnail on Firefox? Not that I'm paranoid about it, it's just for my curiosity.

>YOTLD
They have at least 2 more fixes to make after that to their piece of shit filepicker before it's actually decent. Oddly enough all of these things are completely trivial. They just _refuse_ to give anyone the options they want. Fuck them.

That's exactly what's so fucking annoying about this. Thumbnail support IS already in the filepicker. All we've been asking for is a way to increase the size of the thumbnails on the left (not on the right side view which only shows 1 at a time). But nope. They know better than us apparently 12 pixels is all anyone needs to choose images and god forbid they add a fucking option that allows users to change that integer value in their code.

How do I disable/enable saving commands to ~/.bash_history?

the wm/de should be enough, then it is a matter of preference when it comes to user applications.

This. Loonix is for autists

Based reply

Oh but they can find time to implement other hipster options like initiating a full fucking search of my $HOME directory when I just want to use typeahead to locate something in the current directory. Because that's so minimal, just like _downscaling_ thumbnails.

I swear these developers are not right in the head.

Are you an ant?

Is debian-testing mustard gas

No, thumbnails like THIS. Not 10x10 thumbnails with file preview.

Anyone have issues with KDE where all of a sudden hotkeys stop working? My super key and print screen are not doing anything.

anybody knows if there's an actual patch for gtk file picker? I need thumbnails for my webms

nice memes you got there, i laugh a lot with those little guys

isn't sad having all the files named like that?

>he needs filenames to find images

I was looking at Luke smith's vimrc.
Sometimes he writes and sometimes he writes with a capital E.
What's the meaning of this?

maybe he starts approaching the shift key to close the tag with > when ending the word and sometime doing so it happens he actually presses the shift key when typing the last letter of the word

gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Variables.html

Read the HIST* ones.

What version of the kernel was spectre and meltdown patched?

I'm using IOMMU Passthrough and it's working fine, and I set up audio passthrough with MessageInterrupt so it wouldnt stutter the framerate, but I'm still 5ms stutters in audio every here and there. Is there something else I can try doing to fix that?

Linux newbie here. 2014 Macbook Pro. Obviously I shouldn't be gayming on it, even if I've gotten by easily enough on Win 10, but performance on Mint has been really bad. Starbound and Terraria (2D programs) run at about 1/3-1/5 the speed of what I would expect on my old install. No Wine trickery involved either, they run natively. Is there some driver bullshit I can do to make it work again or should I just dual boot Microsoft®™© and accept my fate?

Why is meltdown patched in the kernel, but not spectre?

IDC. Runs fine on my system so not going to change it.

How is Ubuntu Mate security-wise?
I neither browse any dodgy sites or download anything, but I wish to keep my system free of any outside-intruders. Firewall is on, and as far as I know, all ports are closed. What else can I do to secure my pc from a remote hacker?

Don't connect to the internet.

>barebones desktop

1. video driver (google linux video drivers)
2. xorg-server
3. xorg-xinit
4. any window manager (i3, BSPWM, etc) or DE (XFCE, KDE, LXDE, GNOME, etc.)
5. on /home/$USER: "echo ((start command of your wm/de)) >> .xinitrc"
6. when you want to use the desktop: "startx"
7. desktop ready.

not an option