Input and config documentation:
>mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files
or you can use:
man mpv

Config example:
>github.com/Argon-/mpv-config/blob/master/mpv.conf

Input.conf:
>github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if youre asking performance related questions.

Winblows builds:
Stable Portable: mpv.srsfckn.biz/
Stable Installer: rorgoroth.bitbucket.io/
Git Portable: sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
Git Installer: rorgoroth.bitbucket.io/
Vapoursynth: jenkins.maeyanie.com/job/mpv/

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/occivink/mpv-gallery-view
haasn.xyz/posts/2017-10-05-how-to-benchmark-mpvs-raw-throughput.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

so basically whats so good about this media player??

That it is the best, don't question it.

Did you miss the other thread? It's not past bump limit.

I'm a retard, I didn't see the usual title and assumed was an mpv related thread but not the usual general. That one is pretty well alive still. I'd say let this die and I'll recreate it when the other one reaches the limit, if no one else does.

quality and simplicity

Its profile=gpu-hq
Update your shit!

mpv won't even start when I try playing any of .mkv files from:
[Reaktor] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood + OVA Complete [1080p][x265][10-bit][Dual-Audio]

When launched from console it doesn't print anything. Other mkv files work. Any ideas?

>When launched from console it doesn't print anything
literally nothing? you're probably doing something.
or you could add log-file=file.txt instead of using the command line.

also you might get more replies in

I had the same problem when trying to play an mkv file on my laptop.
Apparently MPV doesn't support Intel iGPU. I forced MPV to run using the dedicated Nvidia GPU on my laptop and it worked normally.

Now I noticed it doesn't print anything even when it's working, like I'd use & on bash. Using Windows btw, have no idea how to use cmd.

The log file is big and doesn't have any break lines, I can't read it

Other mkv files work though

Notepad is ass. Use some other text editor to open the log and it will have line breaks.

Oh yeah, it works in Notepad++

Anyway, the console is working again after I updated and reinstalled mpv. Posted the output here

>re-encoded shit
you deserve it

Yes the difference in sound quality with FLAC would be tremendous on my shitty laptop speakers

He's talking about the video dumbass.

The original is 100GB. And those are the only 1080 BD rips.

>build ffmpeg-git
>WARNING: Building with deprecated library libavresample
what is this

Is gpu-hq heavier than before?

no it's the same thing. only the name has changed.

rare, for some reason gpu-hq is heavier than opengl-hq was

What are you talking about? Its literally only a name change.

i dont know what is wrong.
i just updated this shit from the opengl-hq days.

Whats your config? Have you changed it between updates? Performance slightly improved for me when updating using vulkan on windows.

no, i didnt change my config. (just the gpu part)
vulkan doesnt seem to work.

I know vulkan doesnt have good support on all hardware but have you tried adding gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=winvk
vd-lavc-dr=yes
Delete gpu-backend and try with and without vd-lavc-dr

Serious question, I use MPV on my latop running Mint and it's awesome. However my desktop is running Windows 10. Is worth downloading on Windows 10? Is it better than VLC on windows?

seems like changing it to dxinterop fixed the problem.

I don't want subtitles to appear when I watch a video from YouTube, but sometimes I want them when I'm watching some virtual YouTuber stuff. If I do sub=no, the subtitles aren't downloaded at all and if I do keypress v, nothing happens.

v toggles subtitle visibility but not subtitle track. when you have sub=no you have no subtitle track selected so v does nothing. you need to press j to change subtitle track.

Thank you, friend.

>stable 0.28.0 has been out for nearly a month
>using Fedora so checking RPMFusion
>nothing new on Fedora 27 repository
>check rawhide repo to see what the fuss is about
>some imbecile-than-average faggot just published another version of 0.27 for the sake of disabling "VA-API until 0.28.0 lands"
>just have no Bugzilla account to blast this bastard for this astronomical level of retardation
>mfw
I guess I really need to start relying on official Git repo then.

which windows build do i download? lachs0r or shinchiro

>vulkan actually usable on windows now
color me surprise haasn the retard is actually doing it
Just use gpu-api=d3d11

What are really the points of theses threads? Is it just shilling because there is nothing to speak about this software, it just work and the only configuration needed is profile=opengl-hq. I don't understand.

It's because mpv 0.28.0 depends on FFmpeg 3.5, which has not been released yet. This is a pretty difficult situation for distros to handle because they like to share the same version of FFmpeg between all software that uses it and they wouldn't like to ship an unstable/unreleased FFmpeg build. So they'll probably keep mpv 0.27.0 and just backport patches from 0.28.0.

I wasnt able to get hdr10 output... i have rec2020 but no hdr. anyone know of any issues that might cause this?

only for the git repo this is standard afaik. Many distros still use profile=opengl-hq. Anyway I'll update the OP specifying on the next threads.

mpv is pretty different from the "usual" media players who work out of the box. It works out of the box but you can do much more tweaking the config and at first it can look not so user friendly.
Plus there are user scripts and developing potential to discuss. Personally I don't shill anything, I'm not an mpv developer. It's like AMD. It's just Sup Forums's favourite media player by a long shot.

Is it possible to create a contact sheet using mpv?

wtf is that

why are there someone different configs? Shouldn't there be one objectively good one? I just want to watch my 10bit animu and 4k movies.

Is it possible to improve the audio resampling quality when playing videos in mpv at non-native speeds?

This. Maybe there is another name for it

I don't think there is such a script, but it should be possible to create one, it looks similar to this one
github.com/occivink/mpv-gallery-view

It will be easier for now to just make it manually rather than create a script for it. (or just use screenshots like I have been doing for years)
Though it's something I'll keep in mind for the future when I have more time. Thanks anyway

RAVU and haasnsoft is all you need if you only care about anime.

I'm the author of the script here and there are *a lot* of similarities between the gallery view and this "contact sheet" thing.
It definitely wouldn't be too hard to modify the script to work like that, but I'm trying to think if there isn't a way to "modularize" it to reduce the duplication.

>simplicity

Then explain why it needs an installation guide, a wiki, a manual, a set of user scripts, documentation for the input and configuration, a config example, an entire preconfigured input.conf file, and a general to deal with questions about it?

the person who made it hates frontend i guess
still, it works good, only change i had to make is the screenshot directory

Should I use VA-API / VDPAU, or are they a meme?

screenshot-directory=C:\Users\user\Desktop\
screenshot-template=C:\Users\user\Desktop\%F_%p
screenshot-format=jpg
screenshot-jpeg-quality=100

i'm still getting "Error writing screenshot". what am i doing wrong?

Are you using vulkan with shift+s?

I know you're baiting, but a lot of what you said is redundant.
>installation guide, wiki, documentation, example
These are pretty much all documentation. Any project of reasonable complexity has some
>a set of user scripts
Entirely optional
>an entire preconfigured input.conf file
Not even remotely something the user need to know about. No different than other players having default bindings.
>a general
People like to talk about things they like.

What gpu api and hwdec should I use on a 1050ti?

current settings:

vo=gpu
gpu-api=vulkan
gpu-context=auto
hwdec=nvdec
hwdec-codecs=all
spirv-compiler=nvidia

Meant ctrl+s

no vulkan, and neither s or shift+s work.

Try them all and test performance
Put this in mpc.conf
[bench]
audio=no
untimed=yes
video-sync=display-desync
vulkan-swap-mode=mailbox
opengl-swapinterval=0
osd-msg1="FPS: ${estimated-display-fps}"
Run a file with the terminal like mpv --profile=bench video.mkv the higher the fps the better

You may need to change the benchmark test depending on your hw
haasn.xyz/posts/2017-10-05-how-to-benchmark-mpvs-raw-throughput.html

Thanks for guidance

*mpv.conf

Because autistic people like you need help to configure it properly

Otherwise, the general thread is here to talk about the new stuff / scripts

Use it only if you lack CPU power

If you have a good cpu its recommended to use hwdec=no

So.. Still no gui?

OSC is all you need.

screenshot-directory="C:\Users\user\Desktop\"
screenshot-template="%F_%p"

Stable is 0.28 which uses gpu-hq. Many distros arent up-to-date and need to update their shit as well

ah this works, thank you

poozoor can meme about haasninterpolation all he wants but i only wish haasn joined igv to improve FSRCNNX.

YAS

How do you install user scripts on windows? I need my playlist

So you probably put the files (executable and stuff) in a folder called mpv. In that folder, create another called 'scripts'. Finally, copy the script.lua file into that 'scripts' folder.

Make a folder called scripts in the same folder as mpv.exe. Put the scripts in the new folder.

Nice, thanks.

Got something weird happening with mpv. Sometimes in the middle of playback my entire screen just freezes. The video seems to still be playing as I can hear the audio and I can move the mouse around my screen, but I can't interact with it, start the task manager or do anything really. The only thing that works is putting my laptop to sleep through the keyboard shortcut and booting it up again. Anyone know what I mean?

This is the problem of crossplatform apps. :(

Meanwhile SSimDownscaler was improved.

Neat. Thanks igv!

Really? Could you prove it?

So I just downloaded mpv and started toying around with it a bit but I feel like I'm just randomly fumbling around. Given my specs, what filters and scalers should I be using?
Currently I have ravu-lite-r3 and noise static luma shaders, and am using spline36 for upscaling.

Which one should I use?
- ravu-r3 + ssimdownscaler
- fsrcnnx-8 + mitchell only

this player is really buggy on mac
the amount of time it crashes / become unresponsive when i open a video and immediately Q it is retarded
also, why the fuck does xquartz launches itself when i play a video with mpv anyway?
it all started when i installed WINE to run an exe and now it keep popping up when mpv is launched

did you install the windows version on mac

nah bruh, i installed it via terminal with
brew cask install mpv

Try IINA, it's still just mpv.

am about to test it out since its market as mpv on steroids and mpv is getting on my nerves now

Should I use vapoursynth on linux?

>mpv + SSimSuperRes + interpolation
>fast seeking causes mpv to drop frames indefinitely until i go windowed, fast seek, play 2 seconds of video then go fullscreen again
>disabling either SSimSuperRes or interpolation prevents mpv from dropping frames after fast seeking
Any suggestion to fix this issue that doesnt involve disabling super res or the interpolation?

i gotta say, iina does feel more refined than mpv and i'm liking it lots.
will spend some time adjusting the keybinds
the config is also pretty slick with macos style
the name sounds dumb af tho

How do I have separate keys save screenshots to different directories?
For example, let's say that I have this line in mpv.conf
screenshot-directory="C:\Screenshots"
and I have screenshot bound to the s key in input.conf.

However, I would like to screenshot and have it saved directly to the desktop instead and bound to key d. How would I go about doing this?

To clarify, I want different key bindings that go to two different locations; key s to go to the directory specified in screenshot-directory and key d to go directly to the desktop.

please tell me you actually have the full holder and not just an image of the folder

No. Stop falling for retarded memes.

s set screenshot-directory "C:\Screenshots"; async screenshot
d set screenshot-directory "C:\Desktop"; async screenshot

I've tried that already but it doesn't work. Thank you for the input though.

I've tried it myself and it works. Do you have a screenshot template in your config that might be interfering with it?

iirc haasn made a lot of performance suggestions for FSRCNN that made it much faster on modern GPUs but igv rejected them all because they didn't work on his old device

>disable features
>GPU upgrade
>contribute to the shaders to make them faster
pick one

just apple things

#ThinkDifferent