Am I making the right choice?

Am I making the right choice?

Dumping w10 for this.

Other urls found in this thread:

i3wm.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't do it. Linux is useless for general computing.

Dual boot.

Oh wait, no, wait for a Pocket 2 with a M.2 slot and than dual boot, so you at least have some space left.

In what regard?

hmmm, it's cool i guess. just stick with lts version if you can.

Installing 16.04, by the time it's obsolete I'm hoping there's an update to this laptop with a core m3 or something similar low powered.

If you don't like this one, go to Windows 7.

Turn the DPI scaling up, god damn

But I'm comfortable with how it is.

How exactly? There are no Win7 drivers for that SoC.

Why? It's a nice crisp screen, really nice high DPI IPS display. You have problems with eyesight?

try actually using it day-to-day
I dare you

>dumping windows for any linux distro
I never regretted it. but, I'm also not a tech-illiterate gaymer(NEET). even if I did regret it, there's no way I could deal with all that telemetry/permabotnet shit. seeing wangblow "privacy" threads pop up on here and the amount of shit they have to do to gain '''temporary''' privacy/control of their system is too funny. it's like watching retards drowning in a puddle of water.

You are a tech illiterate, your post confirms it.

Pussy ass bitch

what ever you have to tell yourself to make you feel better user.

No, choose a different distro. Ubuntu is shit and their package repos are a joke. I've heard Manjaro is great.

Manjaro is fucking awful.

Ubuntu (or KDE Neon) and Fedora Linux are the two only valid choices.

That looks great on my 24in monitor
That is absurdly small on a 7in screen. Even if you can “““read””” it, you are putting your eyes through more strain to read it. I don't care how master race chad your eyesight is.

Manjaro is a fucking joke, just install Arch if you want to be a faggot.

Ubuntu, Fedora, and Solus are my 3 distros of choice depending on who I'm installing for and what I'm installing on.

Yes

>(you) after you use that thing daily for a year

If you have a job, absolutely not. Install W7.

If you do not have a job, who gives a fuck.

can I get the version of this with the golden ratio/ Fibonacci overlay

Bumping for this

Neat

What device is this?

GPD pocket
See also: GPD Win, GPD Win 2

GPD pocket.

Not op but I have one running ubuntu as well and it's super comfy.

>h-hey guys look at me I have a job
The absolute state of virtue signaling retards

kek

Is anyone more cucked than windows 7 fanboys?

Depends what you use your computer for

Try a tiling window manager like i3 i3wm.org

Since you ask if it is the right choice I assume you know nothing about any of this shit. In that case don't switch cause there's no reason.

You should say what you use a PC for and why did you decide to switch.

Ubuntu is easily the best distro for productivity, but that device, on the other hand...

ty

Never go full faggot.

> nipple mouse

NICE

> it's in the wrong place

why

People who use Windows 10.

Yes. You will never look back.

>16.04
>2018

I honestly dont see why Windows 7 is great. Its a better version of windows but its still windows. When I got my T420 with 7 preinstalled and having to deal with antivirus bullshit I immediately installed Ubuntu 16.04 alongside windows and rarely go back. Ubuntu is just faster and I love how everything just works. I run Clamav/tk just as a precaution in case I have to run a file on windows. Though its been giving me way too many false positives so another reason linux is better.

congrats
you're a retard

good you are delusional, else you would know it too

I don't see anything wrong with using the gpd pocket for productivity.

real talk - how is '''''''''''coding'''''''''''' on the pocket?

whatver you do dont ge t 17.10

How fast do you want to type?

let's say someone types 40 wpm. how big a drop do you think they'd take?

im slow typing so its not too much of a difference, but keyboard is 100 percent retarded and whoever came up eith its design should be fired.
ive been using it for 2 weeks so far, check at my spelling for reference

lol thanks, appreciate it. it's my biggest hangup from dropping the $ on it and not a similarly powered machine

it isn't that hard to write your own drivers

40wpm is very doable on it. I think I can reliably type at almost 60 (something over 55 I forget).

Thumb typing is also very comfy too but slower.

Love the form factor of that little thing. Need to get one myself soon.

Okay, before the arch kiddies show up and crap on everyone, here is the truth.
Ubuntu us a great starter version of Linux. It has its drawbacks, but you will find those out while you are using it.

Then go on distrowatch.org and find a version of Linux that you like - then stick with it. Another good resource is youtube - if you can stand some of the droning nerds, their advice is usually pretty good.

Something like that almost makes me wish I ever left the house.

Every wanted to type with your thumbs only, but you wanted a keyboard that's just wide enough that you'll get RSI if you actually thumb type on it for long periods, but just too small to type normally on with your fingers?

Then the GPD Pocket may be for you. Aside from that, get one for low-end but very portable gaming, not typing.

This is not true.

I know, but too bad the hardware is closed and proprietary, else it would be a kids play with the documentation.

It's not meant for thumb typing, if you want a device you hold in two hands and thumb type, get the Win, it's perfect for that, but the Pocket needs a surface, either your lap or a table to type on, no matter how big your hands are. If you actually thumb type on it, it's your own fault for being a retard.

How do you type on something so small that your fingers don't fit comfortably on the keys? At that point I'd be faster swiping around on a touch keyboard.

How well the clitoris works without 3 buttons? Can you still scroll browser etc...

It's not a real trackpoint. 3rd party ones never work very well. It's also way too far down. There's a good reason IBM put it in the middle of the keyboard. You need some space between your finger that's mousing and your thumb that's clicking.

I scroll with the touch screen. It works fine, I wish it had the third button, but I also understand that some sacrifices had to be made. No idea why they didn't put a scroll button on the empty space on the left though, maybe too cramped?

I thumb type on mine just fine. That's really the best way to use it otg.

Third party ones from Lenovo and hp work fine, I've tested them. I like the Lenovo one the most though personally.
Just make sure it curves in and not out, or it presses against the touch screen when shut and wakes up the laptop.

Buy one and try it, you obviously have no experience.

>I like the Lenovo one the most though personally.
No fucking shit you do. That's because that's the original trackpoint. Lenovo bought IBM's PC line and got all the trackpoint stuff as well.

Alright, calm down mate. Getting a bit too overexcited there.

Your point?

What’s the point of this though? Surely any work you care to do with such a small screen and keyboard can be done on a phablet. For carrying a second device on top of a smartphone I don’t really see this provides $600+ worth of use.

How are you meant to sit? What is the correct sitting posture for computer use?

I tend to lean back and to a side and rest my ribs on an arm rest at work. Probably looks retarded but it's comfy, I know it can't be good for my spine though.

From what I remember the driver support and stability of Ubuntu on that thing was terrible.
Also, that shit is terribly overpriced. It's worth 350 at best.

>Ubuntu

smartphones/tablets don't come with operating systems and physical keyboards. smartphones go in the trash once you've got a keyboard (however bad) and a screen better than a netbook.

Just google "computer posture" and look at images lad.
Sitting up straight back in your chair and having the top of your monitor at eye level are the most important things.

>when you need to use a zip disquette for extra storage

who even uses storage in 2018? network filesystems just work.

But what are you going to do on the GPD pocket? Amend some documents, minor code updates, SSH? You're not going to write entire documents or do programming projects entirely on it so I still think a smartphone is good enough for edits.

I'm not a webmaster or a system administrator or anything but presumably from what I've heard on Sup Forums if you're good then you've written BASH/PowerShell scripts for most common tasks. Again SSH on a smartphone seems sufficient if you've been caught on your coffee break and need to quickly run a script..

It's not replacing a phone, it's replacing a laptop. You can 100% do all the edits and things locally if you want (and have an external keyboard/screen for it) and it'll be fine. Contrary to popular belief phones are completely useless for admin tasks. Software keyboards are just useless without a dictionary which cannot exist for anything useful administratively. You'll spend 5 seconds typing your script name and 5 minutes typing the arbitrarily named arguments that don't autocomplete. Would rather use a dumbphone and SMS that shit in, at least the old phone button pad was accurate.

No you're useless for general life.

There must be a third party keyboard for that though, or it should be simple enough to make.

That's a cute device. What is it?

Also have fun user.

GPD pocket.
Only modern answer to a UMPC that matters

>having to deal with antivirus bullshit
what did this Sup Forums poster mean by this

No. Please no. Not Jewbuntu. Ack. Ugh!

that's the only viable OEM linux, you can switch it out for whatever

Excuse me?

>turn dpi scaling up
>install finishes and livecd environment is wiped

confused anime slut with interrogation mark above head.jpg

c-cute

the power on these things is super duper flakey, good luck getting it to boot more than once per week. It feels quality but it's definitely chinkshit.

Its a step in the right direction.

>GPD pocket
Does this shit cost almost 400 euros? A Chromebook with an 11-inch screen and a good keyboard costs 200.

isn't it like $600? it was $400 for the kickstarter or whatever. That should be pretty close to euros these days right?

I use mine daily and it has no issues powering on and booting up.
Send yours in for warranty, they pay your shipping expenses too if you have to send it back for warranty.

>11 inch screen
>Chromebook
Laughing sluts.jpeg
Might as well just buy a 2170p at that point, at least it can support most relevant operating systems like windows, ubuntu, or Solus.

>Doesn't know that you can install whatever you want on a Chromebook

Chroot doesn't count

>Doesn't know that you can install whatever you want on a Chromebook and run it natively.

Except you can't.
Not on most Chromebooks.

Yeah, right. Have fun with your photos, loser.