Why the fuck aren't Nvidia and AMD making more GPUs to supply the demand of "miners" and "gamers"?

Why the fuck aren't Nvidia and AMD making more GPUs to supply the demand of "miners" and "gamers"?

Isn't the purpose of a company to sell a lot of products?

Do they hate money?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/jwangARK/status/954429531678543872
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because they dont have decent competition.

Next gen are coming soon, so why would anyone want to buy current gen now?

there's a huge shortage and demand since several months already, why aren't the manufacturing factories pumping out RX and GTX cards since months?

Miners buy all the GPUs... no gamers buying GPUs for 6 months - a year.

Mining crashes again. Miners dump all GPUs on ebay.

Gamers buy used from ebay instead of new from nVidia/ AMD.

So then you have miners & gamers not buying new products from nVidia or AMD.

AMD and Nvidia are mining right now in China with custom boards.

They've stated in the past that the mining market is too finicky to increase supply by a lot.

They start up another production lines, the mining market crashes, and then they're left with too much inventory.

With business and the economy, you want a steady rise in sales and value, not huge spikes. Spikes predict crashes.

Ah yes, the imaginary "cheap used GPUs that the miners sold after the xth crash" that doesn't really exist in real life, I've heard about them quit a lot, since a long time.

In the parralel dimension where I live they doesn't exist yet

Ask AMD about that. But since you probably only buy nVidia, you don't know about the last crash when AMD was the only practical choice for mining.

Impossible to find in Europe. Impossible to get an RX 580 in my country since almost 6 months now.

>Do they hate money?
Miners have zero impact on nvidia profits and maybe very little on AMDs side as well.
If they all disappeared today nvidia would still be diving in dosh because they dominate both the enterprise market and the gamer one.

Also let me try to explain this in a very easy way to understand, the crypto currency market is amazing in some ways but extremely volatile and a giant company which makes billions every year won't suddenly invest some of said billions in new factories, thousands of new personnel, and the list goes on just for the sake of milking some of that volatile market.

Imagine if let's say we had another gold rush (of actual precious metals not internet money).
Do you think CAT would go around building new factories to increase their production in a market that's extremely volatile and may not last even another year or do you think they would keep on working with let's say Fortescue selling them said machinery?

they are probably trying nintendo's strategy of artificial scarcity

because we all know that retails care so much about what nvidia ask

No, because thread of AI being killing Jews.

Maybe because somebody combined planning from communism, with illusion of freedom from capitalism.

Because TSMC is busy making ASICs

twitter.com/jwangARK/status/954429531678543872

It takes years to spin up more production, and by then the crypto meme is likely to have died.

Not that hard if you order from Germany. Got two 580s from amazon.de for a very good price.

Because

This, fabrication plants are horrendously expensive and neither AMD nor Nvidia even own any. They just contract it out to GF or TSMC. By the time they got the contracts, made the dies, packed them, sold them to card makers, made the card and then put them on retail shelves it would be many months at the least.

Also, a lot of nvidia's money is from cloud computing/AI/supercomputer systems (read: botnet) so the profits would look tiny.

The ride will never end.

>They've stated in the past that the mining market is too finicky to increase supply by a lot.

Which is proper bullshit, if the mining market is big enough to impact demand and prices for that long there is no reason to not increase production apart from simply profiting of the lack of competition with higher and higher prices.

Don't you get it user? It's too late already. If they start production now, they won't be able to transition over to next-gen easily and when they do, next-gen will be more expensive and last-gen won't sell.

You need +18 to post here

they're at 100% capacity.

>sell less gpus for more money instead of sell more for less
really mages u thing :--------D

They have monopoly on GPU mining and want to keep it that way

But that's how I got a HD7950 for 90aud 3 years ago..

This right there.
You anons have no clue how long it takes to build a fucking factory and start production. In 5 years we don't even know what the fuck is going to happen with crypto how the hell you expect companies to make these kinds of investments out of their ass? They have shareholders to report about whatever projects they move into and this is too much of a risk.
Samsung increasing their RAM production makes more sense than this because at least that one has a real, solid reason about the supplies drying up because everything is in need of more and more memory right now, from cellphones to storage and actual pcs and building plants which will start production in maybe 8 years are on the level of risk that is acceptable unlike memecoins farmers wanting more gpus.

>cheap used GPUs that the miners sold after the xth crash" that doesn't really exist in real life
I only remember the hd7970/hd7950s being cheap right around the time btc miners moved to asics, and all the gpus were pretty much busted as is that you needed to rma before using.

> mfw 1080 arriving today for MSRP off nvidyya.com.
> mfw it shipped earlier than estimates by like 2 weeks.
> mfw sold 1070 on fleabay
> mfw no supply anywhere for more than 20min after being listed
> mfw you have to be a ninja

From what I can tell, demand is just this crazy. As soon as the cards come in, niggers are clearing out inventory.

Nvidia said 2H2018 .. 2nd half.. that means June at the earliest and you're not ensured that will be a stocked release. Furthermore, it clearly looks like, from the pricing of Titan V that they are going to be niggers and jack the price sky high. Current Titan to next gen was a 100%+ gain in sticker price from $1,200 -> $3,000. They're pushing APU via Nvidia shield/Cloud gaming in the meantime so they're gonna jew hard on the next gen.

Seriously though.. just check what cards are flying and at what cost.. Miners are whoring 1070s.... The 1080s/1080tis are impacted but you don't see them going for nearly as much. People are paying more for a 1070 than a 1080. These are miners.

Miners don't sell individual cards, they sell off the whole rack to other miners.

What the fuck is this.

Bait, are you gonna take it?

it takes literally years to create new fabs
and it takes weeks (at best) to ramp up production. they outsource fabrication, but they're not the only people getting shit made in those factories.
also, amd/nvidia still sell at their wholesale rates to asus evga msi etc so they dont see any extra money from the current shortage. if they sold direct to retail, they would stand to gain a lot more than they do now.
an absolute shitstorm that fucks the consumer over. add to that that RAM prices are going up due to collusion, even if the mining bubble bursts and scalpers start losing money, we'll never see MSRP again.
the markets are hard at work to fuck the consumer over, per usual.

Sadly, this was likely a once in a lifetime event. These days, even if eth gets ASICs somehow and they don't change algorithms, there's a thousand other shitcoins they can pump and dump, so no need to worry about that GPU suddenly becoming unprofitable.
The only thing that could tank crypto into unprofitability is if every exchange got raided by govts around the world, and then you'd have to operate on Tor which would make things super slow and harder to access for your average normie.
There will be no more mass selloffs.

RAM bottleneck affecting everything
GPUs do have RAM, you know. Well, you wouldn't if you don't have a GPU i guess.

Estimated hashrate for new gen?

>r9 380
>intense coil whine
>current prices
kys me

Not to mention they then end up competing with the secondary market of miners trying to offload their used cards when there is a turndown. They'd have to predict accurately months or a year+ in advance what miner demand will be and then either have crypto stop being constant pump n dump bubbles or have an even more massive glut to retard retail sales than usual.

>Link your Steam Achievement Points to prove you're a gamer so you can buy this GPU.
Lord bless Nvidia

They're making the assumption that gamers (who have been their core customer base) will be around for longer than crypto miners.

This meme is surely right this time like it wasn't every other time crypto collapses and miners panic unload their shitty used cards.

Hey they took er Ger Per yUerrrrrs!

Because they produce on such scale to cut down cost's that if they adjust for miners and then everything crashes they have an oversupply. I bet to keep costs low they do it in giant batches so they don't want to overproduce.

For real how do I get a GPU now? I don't need one necessarily but I was waiting until around this time to upgrade and be good for a few years and now I'm pretty much fucked and with the way BTC recovered after the last drop, it doesn't look like this issue will be solved soon. I subscribed to notifications the second anything better than my card is in stock anywhere and it's just not happening.

Pretty much just need to buy a founders card when they come back in stock straight from NVIDIA.

Not sure about AMD.

>start working on Master's Thesis
>get really good initial results; adviser suggests we expand
>go to department head, ask for more money
>granted!
>can't buy the GPUs we need because of miners

I'm going to drink myself to death.

>GPUs we need

Yeah because those cards that are $150 cheaper and run 15% slower somehow prevent your 'results' from ever being found and running for a longer time isn't a concept that exists

I got lucky last xmas and got a water cooled 1070 for 440 usd, looking back now its over 800!, fucking miners!

>tfw could had bought a 1060 3gb but decided to save for a 6gb.
now both of them are thrice their price and buying inflated-priced stuff is all sort of retarded.

Ram shortage.

2080 gtx won't launch below 1000usd.

Expect even bigger demand when people realise they can train their neural networks on consumer grade hardware for next to no money.

The most powerful cards I can find that are actually in stock is the 1050.
Our original build was 2x 1080 TI.

That's not "15% slower" - it's several times slower because of the difference is memory speed and number of available processing cores.

It's a knock off founders edition w/ a cheaper housing being sold for hella bux.>
Average new selling price for a 1070 is $650 right now. It falls off steeply in used market.
Prices collapsed after the recent down tick. Also, supply seems to be rolling in. Ofc this will change if BTC/USD climbs back which it already has off $10k back up to $13k.

Snooze you lose on this one. They come in stock and go out of stock relatively quickly for near MSRP. If you say you don't have time for that then you pay the e-tailer or e-bay premium based on market demand for low supply items.

nVidia can ask, but retailers won't listen. Basically nVidia did nothing by asking.

This. If you're loaded on money from virgins with childish brand loyalty, buying anything new, and nobody is competing against you then why even bother trying to work towards an extra billion when you have 2.3

Niggers in this case are smart white and Asian businessmen.

Is mining even profitable. Just become a bitcoin investor.

Buy an overpriced GPU and mine for 6 months and get your money back

So you want to wait half a year to buy even more expensive cards?

geizhals.eu is your friend

Oh no it might take longer how tragic.

Your specific words were "GPUs we need", implying that any other GPU will not complete the task

> smart
Nigger please...
> Greedy kikes
> Greedy savages
> Greedy ignorant fucks who don't understand the long term effects of their ghetto ass money making schemes.

A nigger is a nigger per the definition. Skin color doesn't change what you are as an individual. Niggers wear suits too .. They're some of the worst ones.

MAYBE PRICES ARE SO HIGH SO THEY CAN HOLD ON TO INVENTORY FROM FAKE-ASS MINERS AND WAIT TIL THE CRYTPO BUBBLE POPS SO THEY CAN LOWER PRICES AND SELL TO GAMERS AGAIN

THESE GRAPHIC CARD COMPANIES HATE MINERS. MINERS BUY AWFUL MOTHERBOARDS, CHEAP RAM, CHEAP CPUS, DON'T BUY CASES, DON'T BUY WIFI PORTS, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC. SO THEY CAN'T MAKE THE MONEY THAT HEY DO THROUGH GAMERS

IT'S ALL ARTIFICIAL. THERE IS PLENTY OF STOCK, BUT THESE COMPANIES HAVE A LOT TO LOSE IF GAMERS FALL OUT OF LOVE WITH PC BUILDING. THINK ABOUT ALL THE STOCK LEFT ON THE SHELVES, THE R/D GONE TO WASTE, ALL THE SHIT THAT THEY WOULD HAVE TO LIQUIDATE. LITERALLY IF THIS MINING CRAZE GOES ON FOR TOO LONG, IT COULD CAUSE THE ENTIRE PC BUILDING MARKET TO CRASH IN ON ITSELF

you guys are so fucking short sighted, i thought this was the technology board, not the 'oh no the sky is falling' board.

Gotta keep demand high and the price out of uor reach to not flood market.
As for $$ they just dumped 35 bill into off shore accounts , so gg.

People come up with profitable uses for toys, and children who feel entitled to those toys are butthurt, but not butthurt enough to make money to buy more and better toys.

They plan to. It just takes a while to scale up production. There's only so much fab capacity out there.

the 1080 and 1080 ti both sell for over $1000 where i live

>Do you think CAT would go around building new factories
Did the demand go up so much they can ask twice as much for their product? Then yes they probably invest in additional manufacturing capacity. It's not like there's a small amount of things you can make with that stuff.

>heh sucks to be you, maybe if you poor people would spend money you don't have you would stop being poor and ass mad at me making things too expensive.
what a disingenuous and retarded argument. mining is a wealthy man's game and you got to have the money to even get the equipment for it.

lmao nigger nvidia doesn't care what CPU you buy.

Setting up a production line costs major $ and time. While it is defensible to say that we need that, because DRAM gets expensive because of lack of capacity, but from POV of GPU manufacturer - dropping $200M on a line that is expected to operate at full capacity for 10 years in a middle of a bubble that will last 10 months.

BTW - miners ride the cards to death. The only hope for an outpour of used cards is when the entire thing crashes and burns - which does not seem likely.

If his datasets ar ~12GB then getting a GPU with 4 gigs may hit his execution time by several orders of magnitude.

>Over priced
Why buy an over priced one? Just be patient

The aib manufacturers are the ones who do that. And they have been known to sell directly to miners. You're complaining to the wrong people.

Do these autistic losers not realise that mining is a force for positive change, it's a financial revolution, but also a cultural one. By taking away this man child generation's toys, we are forcing them to grow up. to get REAL hobbies.

Go outside you autistic cucks, go abseil and bungee jump, learn to fly an aircraft, make something, take up cooking, carpentry or fishing. Enjoy sport, chess and cinema.... just don't fall down the same hole you are with video gaming and take up that /tg/ bullshit.

>Be GPU manufacturer
>Sell 100k units to miners
>1 month before warranty ends, miner carefully chip off a resistor or two on every card, rendering them useless
>Miner RMA's every card
>Manufacturer has to replace every card at their own cost
>Miner sells brand new card
>Market flooded with secondhand(new) cards when new GPU's launch

Gee, I wonder why.......

>instructing autistic losers who barely have the money to buy a computer to learn to fly an aircraft

maybe you're the one who needs to go outside

This is how warped the minds of financial folk are. Always desperately trying to justify your greedy decisions that take from others and give to you, as doing some good in the world. If you were lowering the prices of PC components you would be touting how great this is for gamers. If you drove up the price of gas, you would justify it by saying it's great for the environment; if you lowered it you'd feel great about helping drivers.

Fuck this shit, take off the mask. We can all see through it anyway. At least be honest about your greedy ass and tell us how much your overpriced RX 480s have helped YOU.

retard RMA doesn't cover physical damage

>allow me to be a worthless fuck with no REAL job so other people can't.
Talk about autistic cucks.

Because the bubble will pop soon and they know it

Because they don't own their production facilities you fuck

>get a real hobby like hurting fish or jumping off bridges

>he doesn't jump off bridges to hurt the fish
HA GAAAAAYYYYYYY

Do the chinaman own 90% of BTC ?

Because the increase of demand caused by miners is not sustainable growth. It's a bubble which can pop any time. No, if they expanded their production they would even accelerate this process since there are now more cheap cards to mine on. The bubble could burst even faster and Nvidia would sit on their new multi billion dollar production line while watching customers buy cheap used cards from eBay that were previously used by miners.

I haven't payed attention to the market, but if what you are saying is true and the shortage is JUST several months then it's nothing.
See, to make a processor chip you have to wait for 6 month. There are chemical reactions to be made and they require this amount of time.
And nobody knows what would happen next month. The whole mining market could crash.

It's like you literally only read the quote you greentext and completely ignored the rest of that user's point.

>be company
>build factory for mining cpus
>btc value drops to 0,50 $ over the course of 1 week
>sheeet

AMD and nVidia do not own any fabs, they are at hands of TMCS and GF.