I have this 2010 MacBook sitting around and I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas Sup Forums?

I have this 2010 MacBook sitting around and I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas Sup Forums?

Either use it for light productivity tasks - spreadsheets, text editing, web browsing.
Or use it for macOS/iOS application builds developed with cross platform tools developed on a more powerful machines.

Provided it has an ssd and 4+ gigs of ram, it's a pretty nice laptop, even by today's standards.

Install Gentoo

Yeah this. It would be a very comfy shitposting and command line machine

>webdev
>macos/ios dev
>daily driver if you're wagecuck

Yeh I think this is what I'm going to do.

I have a new laptop now, but looking on eBay it's not worth selling the MacBook anymore. I would rather refurbish it, and have it for occasions where it might come in handy.

Duuuuuuuuude, are you me?

I was just about to make the same post. I too have a 2010 macbook pro sitting around and waiting to be used for something good.

I am thinking of going full on linux.

>I am thinking of going full on linux.
Why?

Nice. What condition is yours in.

I decided to upgrade once the hinge gave up. I also need a new keyboard, battery and maybe a RAM upgrade.

But for some reason I still want to fix it lol.

Give it back Jamal.

Try something new.

Linux would feel like home. Come, join the community, friend.

It's working quite well. Battery lives for maybe 2 hours tops (when not using chrome, but just coding)

Other than that, it's still a very nice laptop. I've actually treated it quite poorly during its life. Been throwing it around, dropping it everywhere, spilled coffee in it twice (which somehow made it faster). Still works great.

Install Solus

So I want to join the community, but I think gentoo is a little too open-source for me.

What is a good option for just testing the waters with linux? (Ubuntu looks ugly as fuck, so that's a no-go)

Ubuntu, with its orange accents and shitty icons, may not appeal to everyone in the looks department. However, I recommend you research different flavors of Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc) and see which base environment you prefer. Any other aesthetic changes can occur as you become more familiar with Linux based operating systems. Ubuntu is, ultimately, one of the better places to start learning Linux because the base packages are managed by Canonical and not you. This means there's less chances for you to break something.

I have a feeling you are being memed by Sup Forums into wasting your time on fixing and ricing your OS instead of doing something productive, if you don't have prior linux experience.

MacOS is nice as it is and there's more to life than learning linux just for the sake of learning it.

Would you recommend GNOME? Just from pictures on google, it looks kinda good.

Eh, I still have an iMac for the OSX experience, and a windows laptop, so I figured that this macbook could be used for experiments and new things.

create a startup. call it dogramitastic.

I agree. Do not pick up Linux, just to say "I use Linux." If you are more comfortable with your proprietary OS (windows or macOS), stick with them. I don't blame you. Linux can take a lot of time from you. But if you are legitimately curious or prefer to have more control over your software, Linux is great.

I would. It shares a lot of the design language with macOS and should help familiarize the transition by providing a simple and easy to use GUI. You are free to explore alternatives as you gain experience with software running on Linux.

>I agree. Do not pick up Linux, just to say "I use Linux." If you are more comfortable with your proprietary OS (windows or macOS), stick with them. I don't blame you. Linux can take a lot of time from you. But if you are legitimately curious or prefer to have more control over your software, Linux is great.
I genuinely can't think of a case for using linux other than being a scientist, low-level programmer or a system administrator. I get a feeling that OP is very young and wants to learn more about tech and he wants to use linux for all the wrong reasons (just trying it, making his distro choice based on ui looks). In that case I think he'd be better off doing some mozilla tutorial on Javascript to get a better understanding of basic programming concepts and webdev.

I still use my 2010 Macbook Pro as my daily driver.

Hey, can you share your wallpaper?

After growing up in organized religion, I left that bubble and learned the world is not as I thought it was. Certain fundamental assumptions I’d been raised with did not match what I observed, and in retrospect they seemed to serve the purpose of suppressing inconvenient truths. So I’d like to explain some ways that organized Christian sects condition the minds of their children to resist any information that conflicts with their chosen doctrine.

First, many of them pretend doubt is morally wrong, which is ridiculous. Why would it be a moral issue to not know information? Uncertainty is, in a way, the source of all technological progress. You wouldn’t have modern life without people who doubted and questioned unsatisfactory explanations, and who responded to those very natural thoughts by obtaining evidence and finding the truth.

Of course, since religion teaches falsehood, anyone trained to think in a logical way about doubt and evidence would be less likely to remain faithful. So instead they make certainty into a moral issue, promote confirmation bias, and condemn anyone who doesn’t fully buy into it. Being taught from infancy to fear and disregard thoughts of doubt makes a child more receptive to indoctrination, and cripples their ability to think rationally (at least about religion). Fortunately this tactic doesn’t work on everyone; some of us are inherently more skeptical.

Children are also taught that their bodies and minds don’t belong to them. God is often presented as a legalistic father figure who listens to every thought you have and watches everything you do. This idea bothered me a lot when I was young, and whenever a “sinful thought” popped into my mind I’d be afraid that punishment would follow. It didn’t help that my fears were reinforced if I got injured or sick and questioned why it happened to me.

God must be punishing you. Don’t know what you did wrong? Well, god does.

Install Gentoo

Here you go, bud.

MacOS is the best though. NeXT did god's work.

Speaking of falsehood, who is the guy you got to pose for your pic related?

Make music with it. Even the shittiest white plastic MacBooks from like 2009 are really good with audio.
Get a $99 all-in-one MIDI controller and go to town.

>Increase ram to 8gb
>replace hdr with ssd 250gb
>replace cd-rom with the old hdr for extra storage

I did this after mine got too slow, and now its as good as new. 8 years and still going.