/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(16)30284-4/fulltext
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what are you wearing today /wt/?

First for Seiko Saturday

Am I a scientist yet? I can at least pretend right?

Is there a place where you can buy those caseback stickers?

I like how they feel and it makes the watch more grippy on your wrist.

No, you're negro now - Rolex is for negros and coalburners.

wear your fitness tracker on your other arm oi

I like your collection user

I removed mine and threw it away at the airport.
noted
notification band* also nothing goes on right arm, the arm that is actually useful should not be restricted.

notification of what?

No but you may be a homosexual.

Kill yourself.

sucks to have phone vibrate on desk/meetings all day long.

Those gay pride bracelets lmfao

>restricted
Lol wtf are you on about?

How the fuck is the windy knob guy running /wt/ now?

it's the reason people wear watches on their non-dominant hand
to keep their dominant hand free for working with and without bands or straps in the way.

People wear their watch on their left so you can set the time or wind it with your right.
Your hand is still free while wearing a watch. How would wearing something on your wrist restrict your hand in any way?

what if you needed to check the time or record a length of time while keeping your dominant hand busy

What are you even saying? You want to wear and operate your watch with the same hand? You wear watches on the left and bracelets on the right, unless you're a leftie. And no it's not because a watch "restricts" your hand in any way, I don't see how it could.

How often do you "operate" your watch while it's on the wrist?

you're performing work with your dominant hand and need to time it or see the time - you cannot do this if it is on the hand doing the work
so that is why they are worn on the opposite arm to the dominant
you don't use the crown while its on your wrist anyway

stop posting this shit you're encouraging it by giving reactions

how is posting photos of a diver watch bait?

You didn't think he actually had a life, right?
I think he's a /hpg/ frequenter

Does the windy knob guy actually have that solar diver in the first place?

often, but this stuff you learn about in watchmaking school. Saying it's to keep your right hand "free" is just retarded.

Ever heard of a chronograph? The bezel on a diver?

So you honestly feel restricted with a watch on your wrist? Come on now.

no he's an omega shill making sure no-one buys that watch by making it a meme

yes and also to avoid shocks.

Solar diver is official watch of Sup Forums now

>accusing someone of having no life for posting on Sup Forums while posting on Sup Forums
what is /hpg/?

it's not about "feeling restricted"
if i'm doing something with my right hand such as holding something in place and i need to time it, i need to use my left hand which is free to keep the time
as such, wearing the watch on the non-dominant hand to keep my dominant hand free to work with

posts only seikos. Every thread has 2 seiko faggots talking about how "bad" omega is with no basis.
>omega shill
Damn bro maybe that sushi is actually destroying your brain.

I have seen pics of it but I cant find this version for sale anywhere (the one on the right), why is that?

also the black turtle is pretty cool, what does /wt/ think?

ugly as shit like the rest

Holy shit the black turtle is $750 on the grey market, fuck that.

The original comment was about bracelets, not watches. He said he didn't want his bracelet on the right because it was "restricting" his dominant hand, wich is just retarded. This is why I told him why you wear your watch on the left, so that he might figure out that there's no reason not to wear bracelets on the right arm.

Like... always?

Seriously user, wtf are you talking about?

Btw when you said "record a length of time" I thought you meant with a chronograph.

Seikobro.

>How the fuck is the windy knob guy running /wt/ now?

I tried to prevent this.

You created him by posting those shitty memes.

I never do. I set/wind my watch before putting it on.

Don't worry user it is not your fault. One cannot simply remove the soy from the boy. You are still doing gods work. Nice fresh meme brother.

fitness band use is not associated with improved health

thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(16)30284-4/fulltext

wow thanks for this valuable input user

you don't have to throw it away immediately, but now when it breaks you won't have to worry about replacing it

Can we not report him for spam?

do you think reporting hasn't been tried?

He gets banned and post deleted, but then he comes back, there's no use.

Once again, well done making sure that no-one buys this watch because they don't want to look like they have an obsessive compulsive disorder like yourself.

Stop replying and ignore it, you're only giving him the attention he wants.

seriously, i'm actually glad i've seen so many photos of it because there is some risk i might have bought one e.g. as a gift, but just coming here has been enough to make me tire of it. the bezel is too wide, the bezel minute indices are of too many different lengths, the typesetting is confused, the cyclops is too small, and the crown is ugly.

if i were in a survival situation and without a watch, sure, i'd grab it rather than an armitron, but i wouldn't choose it over a digital casio.

It's not really spam even if it's annoying. His Solar Seiko is technically relevant to the thread.

>It's not really spam
kek

I usually don't like Seiko's mechaquartz offerings buy that one is great.

Looks like my watchmaker is still unable to get into the shop because of the mudslides, so the 5256 will be staying in California until I'm back again.

Ouch, that's rough.

The 7t59 isn't a mecha-quartz.

Oh, so then I don't usually like Seiko quartz chronographs in general but that one is neat. Thanks for the correction.

Waiting for this in the mail but I would like a more solid bracelet for it.
I remember an user with a Neptune case Amphibia who bought a fitting bracelet and also a diver extension buckle from aliexpress. In case you read this, could you pls post both links. Thanks!

Watches aren't technology.

Thats a 7T42 actually (irrelevant to the point but had to say).

Well, thats like... your opinion, man.

They are a form of technology born in the the XIX century and undeveloped since the mid XX century but still technology.

Then leave the thread and find something else to do.

Faggots aren't welcome.

Talking about mechanical watches btw.

That's a really nice example.

Ah, thanks

Its got everything. Chronograph, timer, tachymeter, dual time, alarm, date with magnif lens, diving bezel, luminova and 150m wr.

That's beautiful, what model is that? Or it a custom neptune with scuba dude dial?

No moonphase though

And nor tyde graph, or perpetual calendar. Shame.

Not custom. It’s pretty much the original Scuba dude. The first Soviet Amphibias to ever come with that dial were in Neptune aka 960 cases. It’s an antimagnetic model though, only handwinding. The blue tone is much nicer than the teal one of modern scuba dudes.

Btw for those who remember me from last thread I also bought this example of the same watch his morning. I didn’t expect to see a much better one in better condition on the same day, so I’m planing on fliping the one I bought this morning. That one (pic related) has an automatic movement though.

So out of the first three automatic chronograph movements, which of the manufacturers had the best design?
>Seiko
>Heuer & friends
>Zenith

I'm currently working on a Seiko 6139-7002 (like pic, only beat to shit) and I'd say that if it didn't have the issues with the vertical clutch and mainspring bearing wear it would be an excellent movement.

What fucking scientist makes enough to afford a Rolex?
Maybe back in the 70s or something but now most of them peak at like 60k with barely any benefits and usually no pension.

Someone outbid me of this watch fuck.
What are some other vintage watches that look like this one?

did you misalign that on purpose for the picture

mmmmmmabey

I am an engi anyways, I will actually love the hands on aspect too much to be a scientist.

Anyone have a STOWA klassic Marine silver?

Really thinking about getting this piece, but I'd have to get it online

>engineeringfaggot
>name fagging
>actually bought the cucklex with the worst resale value
It all fits

Thoughts on radio wave watches?

That sauce is great, good choice.
I see. Such a shame they're not making them anymore, it's the best looking Amphibia I've ever seen. The second one in ruined by that shitty bezel. How much did you get them for?

Some of them are almost as accurate as a Rolex

radio wave is botnet
they will be able to track you based on the rebound

Why would I want to ever resale though?
You know it~

Are there any really nice Seiko / Citizen watches I should look out for? I already have my eyes on the SARB017 and older A1**-series digital watches but outside of that all other watches look kind of bland and uninteresting.

Daini Seikosha's 701x chronograph is generally regarded as a better technical design than the Suwa designed 613x.

That being said, I believe both the El Primero and the Heuer colab had horizontal clutches, so I'd give the edge to the El Primero as a timekeeper and to the 613x as a functional chronograph.

I've got a radio sync G-Shock. It's a neat feature but I could easily live without it.

Do you have any idea how many models Seiko makes? You are going to have to be a little more specific about budget and styling first.

they?

This one is quite nice