Boot parted magic live cd

>boot parted magic live cd
>start secure erasing drive
>turn off monitor
>turn on monitor again
>"no signal" then a black screen

Did I just brick my hard drve, or is just linux being a retard about my the displayport drivers?

I mean I just turned my monitor off then on again, did nothing else.

The case LED is making a very soft pulse, so seems like it's still doing something.

It said it was a 170 minute erase aprox... so now I have to wait like a retard until tomorrow (because who knows how long does it really take) then restart my computer with a black screen and pray that the erase went ok and parted magic didn't froze because I turned my monitor off and on?

Im considering trying to plug my old CRT on it just to see if it picks it up but im not sure if I can fuck it up.

Other urls found in this thread:

ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

does this look like a tech support website to you? dumb fucking frogposter get the fuck out

Gonna have to wait I think

this is fucking killing me

Parted magic had issues when detecting monitors. If you turn it off, it won't connect again in many cases. That's it. Reboot, start again and don't turn off the monitor this time.

Appendum: you can't brick your drive that easily, even if the erase goes to fucktown.

Wait. Don't use some retarded barely-supported live CD next time. A live Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu and dd will do just fine.

Actually you should just power it off, create said non-retarded live CD and start the erasing over with a sane environment. Even Arch's install ISO will do.

>The case LED is making a very soft pulse
You complete fucking moron its in fucking standby you asshat. Push the power button your complete goddamn fucking ninny.

I turned it off when it was already erasing the disk. I risk bricking it if I restart. Why the fuck I want to risk it if it's just the monitor but it's still erasing it?

Fuck off you autist, why would it go into stand by just by turning the monitor off. You CAN'T interrupt a secure erase. It's either still erasing it or it's already fucked.

No he shouldn't he will brick it. Most likely it's still erasing. Leave it running all night and reboot tomorrow.

OP try connecting the CRT tomorrow before rebooting.

even if you did you are running from ram (hence live cd) so fucking your hdd would not affect your monitor

>post frogs on Sup Forums
>Rebbit spacing
Clearly the current state of /gee/
Sad!

The point is not fucking your HDD you mong.

just wait imo

I just tried my crt and theres no signal. Mouse is ON (red led is on) keyboard LED changes when toggling caps on and off. This gives me hope that it's still inside the parted magic OS. I will reboot tomorrow, if it doesnt work i'll kill myself heheeeesidojisad

how long should a 500GB take for secure erase to end?

is 168min prediction accurate? it's already been 5 hours... but the LED still pulsates every 2 seconds so I wonder if its still going

you can't brick it in the sense that it will be unusable, but if he did secure erase, which requires setting a password, he'll have to redo it from scratch, because the drive is locked and passworded.

how did you run secure erase? are you running hdparm? the prediction's usually pretty accurate unless
also, the hard drive LED should be solid while it's doing the write.

unless you're on an SSD... (secure erase on SSD takes seconds)

if you have to do secure erase again, do it using the hdparm instructions here
ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
don't skip the steps!
if you want to do enhanced secure erase, when you issue the command, just type
hdparm --user-master u --security-erase-enhanced yourpassword /dev/X
basically change the --security-erase flag with --security-erase-enhanced

I forgot to say. it's accurate unless you bump, shake or move the laptop or something. I noticed when I do that, my dbans and secure erase take longer, sometimes as much as 15 or 45 minutes (it's highly variable). not sure WHY, but it's something I observed (otherwise normal wiping times are near-constant, within 20 seconds for a 1 hour 47 minute wipe)

if it still says 168 minutes and its been 5 hours you bricked it retard

move the mouse or press a keyboard key, the debian install spooked me like that but it just turned off the display due to inactivity