>an hour later
>16 updates available (1,452MiB)
>updating
>updating
>updating
>half an hour later
>have to restart now
>restart/install cycle takes an extra fifteen minutes at least
>updates only cover the os and some microsoft software, drivers and applications untouched

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Public_servers_on_the_Internet
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/fix-windows-7-update-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/ad6cfeef-232a-49b4-a57b-39978eea6630
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/how-to-obtain-and-install-windows-7-sp2/c2c7009f-3a10-4199-9c89-48e1e883051e
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

B-b-but m-muh gaymez...

How the update times for Windows are so much longer to the time of ANY Linux?

I wonder how much over engineered Windows is, lol.

at least screen tearing isn't an issue on windows rofl

this

start - settings - update & security - check for updates
if you spent an hour working that out you're not the brightest star in the sky at night

It takes windows an hour to find them and then another hour to install them

Windows is installed on like 4 billion machines. That build of Linux you're using? Probably a couple of million at most. So imagine how much networking power it takes to update just 20 million machiness at once. How many Peta bytes is downloaded

Yea, Windows is fucked up. Often, even Gentoo is updated faster on a Sup Forumsayming machine or better, and at least you know why it is taking a while with its updates.

Also slow-ass program installers have been a thing on Windows since forever. Somehow these also almost always were what most people used.

say what now?

Oh yeah, that explains why it takes forever when downloads are finished.

Yes user, when you use software with a thousand dependencies you get a thousand more packages to update

Linux is easier to update.

Plenty of winfags have never tried it so they will attempt to deny it.

Turns out having a completely modular OS is easy to update.

A distribution like Debian runs in tons of servers too.

If gaymer stay on Windows forever and why even mention that? Problem solved.

It wants to install 300 new packages for some reason after an "apt-get upgrade".

They are not CPU-bound. They are not I/O bound. Why the fuck are they so slow?

>install KB for wannacrypt manually on a Sunday
>KB enables Windows Update and productive servers start to restart on Monday

>linux is really cool and superior but pls dont use any software
okay

This Also Windows / Linux
Windows API hell, everything is fucking integrated and embedded into eachother.
Linux, a bunch of system files as confs and documents you can edit and then reboot to take effect

Linux server share is greater than Windows.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Public_servers_on_the_Internet

1. That would only explain slow download speeds, but the updating itself is also REALLY dirt slow.

2. Who cares about the download volume? Cloudflare and youtube and so on presumably handle a lot more.

If Linux had this many updates, they'd make it work, too. Load balancer in front of mighty FTP servers, bittorrent, scale out storage based on Ceph or MooseFS - who knows? But it'd happen.

>have to remember code to update
Worthless for the average consumer.

>Installs in under 10 minutes.
>Reboot once

>Windows 7 to latest update
>Spend 16 hours connecting, downloading, with interspaced restarts.
>Restart nearly 5 times.

God damn. My father wanted windows 7 on his PC. Fuck. This. Shit.
If the disk fails I'm not redoing it.

>for some reason

>upgrade

Go back to Windows and stay there. You deserve it.

That's a gnome install confirmation prompt ain't it. You never need that many NEW packages installed when updating.

Offline updaters are a thing.

You haven't confused "apt-get upgrade" with "do-release-upgrade" have you? How new r u friend?

That's what you get when you have a monolithic system filled with crap and legacy code everywhere, it's a complete mess to change/update any part of it.

Don't use unity or systemd. DEs like GNOME or unity come with way too many dependencies

You can run this on an ancient potato machine on a distro running entirely off an USB2 stick that is going at half speed because there's another USB2 device, and it will STILL probably complete faster than the Windows Creator's update shit on a gaming machine with a good CPU, RAM, SSD/NVMe storage to the effect that everything is 10-100 times more powerful hardware than on the ancient potato machine.

Apart from that, this download size is also pretty tame anyhow. YMMV if you have horrible internet connection, but we're still talking about updating ALL your software here, without using difference files. Not just an OS update that should be doing difference files.

a fresh install of windows 7 takes so long because they never updated their iso's after changing the the pointer location for which updates download. A fresh install of w7 sp1 will not update on its own, so you need to manually download this patch(s) or slipstream them into your iso
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/fix-windows-7-update-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/ad6cfeef-232a-49b4-a57b-39978eea6630

next good idea is to install SP2 which they now call the convenience update, which most of the security updates since sp1 and they keep adding to it with new ones until w7 is no longer supported.
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/how-to-obtain-and-install-windows-7-sp2/c2c7009f-3a10-4199-9c89-48e1e883051e

Using these these patches it took me a little over an hour to completely install a fresh copy of windows 7 and update it on an old core2duo laptop via DVD with a mechanical HDD.

was intended for

Read the output you dumb nigger, the packages being upgraded are below, the new packages being installed scroll off the top of the screen.

user that's just about 359 mb it takes 3 minutes to download and if you have fast pc it will install in 10 minutes.
It's mostly few kilobyte packages.

>not using WSUS

They've had automatic update managers to do it for the normies for years. Besides, I wouldn't call 1-2 lines "knowing code".

> Leave computer offline
> new kernel comes out,new release of mesa, an update on firefox and chrome, along with that many libraries that get updated, also many bugfixes
> cry because the pc now wants to install 300mb for the update you requested for it to do.
user you truly are special

A system that can run 10-year applications without recompiling

The price you have to pay for a functional proper desktop OS

It's not the download speed that is slow.

*20+ year old code
Office 97 runs just fine on Windows 10

Why dont they use a p2p update system if it is such a big problem then?

>functional
>can't even do font rendering properly

>2018
>most linux distros still can't do vsync properly

Unreliable network links (throughput), you'd have to keep an update archive, etc.
And I'm assuming they would use digital signatures for integrity checking.

Look the retard is back, didn't you get buttmad on your last thread when everyone called you on your stupidity?
You are fucking miserable it's sad.

Reminder that Linux is just a kernel (like NT in Windows); it's commonly used in operating systems like GNU/Linux and Android.

This is good for shit corporations that use 15 year old software, not end users.

>Install Win7
>Set theme to anything but Aero

>pulseaudio

windows can't replace files while they are being used. For user files, not an issue. For things like the kernel, well now we have a problem.

To get around not being able to update anything while the OS is working, microsoft has windows shut down, then I presume, some kind of mini-OS boots, updates, then reboots back to windows for you.

Linux doesn't have this issue, I don't know why windows does. Maybe someone who actually knows about it can chime in.

Updates on Windows:
>Windows is ready to update
>Restart and update
>5 minutes later ready to go
ftfy

They even fixed the part that forces you to restart when you don't want to

>not using the best theme ever after Windows classic

>sudo apt update
>sudo apt upgrade

Only on SSD

>package abc requires libabc1.1:0.9.0
>package xyz requires libfoo:1.0
>package libabc1.1:0.9.0 conflicts with libfoo:1.0
>can't update due to unresolved dependencies

>Pacakge abc requires libabc
>sudo apt install libabc
>package xyz requires libfoo
>sudo apt install libfoo

it takes less time for me to COMPILE my packages on gentoo than to install pre-compiled shit on wangdings

I've never had this happen and I've used linux for almost 6 months

You forgot that nobody downloads win updates, they're useless, 99% of people use a pirated SP1 win7, no updates.

I mean don't throw stones if your house is made of glass, the average linuxfag here who isn't using noobuntu or lesbian probably spent 50 hours trying to get xorg to work with this driver.

not even defending windows, just calling out your underage elitist retardation, thinking you're hotshit because you installed noobun2

[posted from my alpine linux machine]

>i've used linux for almost 6 months

A monolithic kernel is a complete operating system...

What, you don't believe me?

Note the conflict between libraries.

Linux is just a kernel

>>restart/install cycle takes an extra fifteen minutes at least
these are rookie numbers, it once took my Windows 10 installation 45 minutes to boot up after installing updates, needless to say I disabled them.

fuck off, Richard

Same reason it takes like five minutes for a USB mouse to work when you plug it in.
Windows is a fuck architecturally.

FYI, that SP2 update has all the standard telemetry crap from Win10, if you wanna avoid that you have to download the updates all separately. This includes that updates that breaks sfc /scannow.

Updates on GNU/Linux:
> Random things break

>takes only marginally than than your network
What?

Are you sure about that? it seemed to be only security updates in it. I still had to install all the regular updates manually, even the one that fixes windows authentication to prevent daz loaders was not in sp2.

>ever doing Windows update unless you want a specific feature
The only time I updated windows 10 was so I could play Halo 5

The download speed isn't what's slow you dumbass, it's the slow as fuck three stage install process.

why is it necessary for Linux to use the command line for stuff?

Can't you guys program some kind of user interface that will execute commands for normies?

There is an interface, but using the command line saves you some time, especially if you already have it open.

the problem with that is command line/terminal can use so many arguments you'd never fit them in a neat GUI so you either strip back functionality for GUI or retain full function at the expense of not having GUI
its the same problem really that self ordering kiosks at fast food have sure they can put beetroot on that burger IF you ask at the counter but good luck getting beetroot on your burger from a machine

just for example look at the documentation of a commonly used program like ffmpeg look at how many modifiers you can set and try to fit all of those into a neat GUI, protip: you can't every GUI for ffmpeg sacrifices some degree of functionality for ease of use

How is OS X for updating and general function?
I use GNU/Linux because Windows is atrocious but I'll soon need access to nonfree crap.

>this'ing a post that already replied to the post you're replying to

can confirm, running windows 7 sp 1. what's an update?

nigger cattle.

>Checking for updates ...
>....
>10 hours later
>...
>4 fucking days of power on time
>....
>1 update found
>install update
>...
>5 hours alter
>1 update installed, restarting computer in 14 minutes [restart now, postpone]
>restart
>..
>checking for updates
>...
>2 days later
>140 updates found
>install
>error some of these updates could not be installed

I clean installed windows 7 on a VM last month, and it broke on updates.
A clean install. On a VM. And it couldn't fucking update without breaking.
Zero excuse for this shit.

windows 10 uses p2p for updates

Updates on Mac:

>just werks in the background and you don’t have to do anything

You don't have to remember it, you just have to do it once, then use the up arrow to find the update command in your bash history the next time.

Windows:
>hurr my OS comes with both 32 and 64 bit libraries and a bunch of other crap so I can run outdated proprietary shitware
Linux:
>oh no, I have to compile old software, and I even have the option to patch bugs if I find any because the software is free as in freedom

>99% of people use a pirated SP1 win7, no updates.
Hundreds of millions of people run windows 10, but whatever, you can keep deluding yourself I guess.

>while automatically charging your credit card

no, faggot
it's not

see
not saying these is an excuse but you either have to slipstream in 3 updates into your iso, or run the "wizard" provided by MS.

>his own source proofs him wrong
Go home pajeet

>i have no reading comprehension please fuck my face

You're the one with no reading comprehension, it's pretty obvious that I'm talking about the forced windows 10 updates that can only be disabled through unofficial methods that may or may not work.

The only thing stooping me from using some form of Linux is the shit support for video games and some software I like to use. I've looked at the game compatibility list and less than a quarter of the big titles on Steam aren't even playable.

i was saying that 99% of win7 users don't install updates

learn to read

>3/4 are playable
Is that really so bad?

Meant to put are even playable.