We're in living FUCKING 2018 ALREADY

>We're in living FUCKING 2018 ALREADY
>STILL not having an .exe type file to easily install programs without leaving that install process
>Falsely claiming that package managers will always stay up to date and keep you up to date when Ubuntu doesn't get the latest version of a program but rather the latest version of a program for the version of Ubuntu you have, which is updated every six months
>If you decide you want to get serious about learning to use Linux and install Debian, you have to deal with insanely ancient outdated repositories
>If you decide that you always want the latest software, you have to get a distro like Arch, which has a rolling release schedule that can break your installation and force you to deal with .conf files for hours upon end, which only autistic weaaboo manchildren with too much free time can contend with
>Lets not even start with the fact with every distribution, you need to update your kernel manually to keep it even close to up-to-date

It's stupid bullshit horse shit like this is exactly why Windows and MacOS will always beat your fucking penguin meme distributions for you fucking delusional and mentally ill freetard autists like YOU for a perfect instance. You install Windows 7 just once and it gets supported perfectly for 10 years, and it doesn't make you depend on a package manager to get you the "latest" software from outdated repositories but rather, have you manually get it using your brain from the author's site and decide when to update, to use the program's built-in updater or not, use the brand new Windows Store which is always up to date, or to use a third party solution to keep your various programs up to date.

FUCK you, too, you fucking heavily deluded freetarded autistic sperglords
FUCK Linux

The year of penguin meme OSes will forever remain a fucking pipedream and is never coming, it will never come nor ever fucking happen

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/2Dn8vs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A centralized package manager is preferable to a million disjointed installer.exe's. Take your adhd meds and go back to your video games so you can calm down.

What's a rpm faggot

>>STILL not having an .exe type file to easily install programs without leaving that install process
please fuck off back to whatever subreddit you came from

This. Once you spend time with it you'll never go back.

Why the fuck would you want installers?

Bait thread, bait poster - sage, report, and hide.

I'm with OP on some points, but need I remove you OP that there is no standardised way to update your software at all on Windows; the only way is for every software to have it's own updater which is ridiculous.

>muh exe
winshits are the most retarded people on this board. dumber than macfags.

the macfags on here are at least probably programmers using the *nix CLI toolset, but the winfags are just Sup Forumstards

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

What kind of dumbfuck would want an installer that cant properly clean itself after uninstalling?
Also by using packages and repos instead on an installer you get the added benefit of having a universal update tool.

>STILL not having an .exe type file to easily install programs
yeah I'm so glad Microsoft has standard installer so software creators never had to rely on 3rd party ones that could contain trojans or even worse - install chrome \s
>which is updated every six months
Factually wrong. updates happed quite often, but there are some packages that core system components rely on and those get updated every new release, thus some packages needs to be frozen, that's however small minority.
>if you want the latest software, you have to get a distro like Arch
Factually wrong.
>with every distribution, you need to update your kernel manually
Factually wrong, I don't know about distro that does not update kernel and had unsupported version for even minute

>no standard installer
What is MSI? Dumbass.

Truth. I also dont trust exes, people wrap when in malware all the time. I can trust an apt-get from trusted repos

>boohoohoo I want bleeding edge
>bwahaahaa I want stable

With linux at least you have a choice faggot.

.deb

linux is a big fucking mess

to give you an idea on how cancerous that OS is, they basically create programs and keep adding programs on top of it to get something to work

it's pure fucking aids

Nobody uses that
Everyone makes their own shit that checks a box for you to install trash like a chink antivirus or opera or a toolbar.

Wow that works so well on my Fedora machine!
Same with my Arch and Slackware!
Thanks, user!

(btw I don't personally use those distros, but you get the point)

let me further expand what i meant

just to have a FUCKING FIREWALL, you need to install the old firewalls, update it and then install the new firewalls

yes, i said firewalls and not firewall because you need more than one firewall to do one fucking job.

oh good luck when the kernel updates and it breaks your shit :) BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-INSTALL EVERYTHING AND FIX THE CONFIG AGAIN

Meme distros anyways

discord.gg/2Dn8vs check it out for great signals on the hottest crypto, good calls have been made last couple days, tel, icx, etc, no pnd, and chill people

>implying Fedora is a meme distro

>just to have a FUCKING FIREWALL, you need to install the old firewalls, update it and then install the new firewalls
fake news.
what distro were you running?

Meh i mean its redhat which is memey. I havent used fedora but centos is okay

>The year of penguin meme OSes will forever remain a fucking pipedream
Good. Linux is better off with retards like you away.

The fuck are you trolling about?

exes are much better than having to compile everything from source yourself, like you have to do in ubuntu if you don't want to use outdated software.
arch's package thing is nice but it breaks itself too easily

This.

The lack of normies is exactly what makes Linux so great.

If normies started using Linux we would get all sorts of bullshit bloat to make it "friendly" aka dumbed down and locked down.

It would become just like Android or Chrome OS, where Linux is just incidental and everyone is reliant on a proprietary ecosystem for userspace.

This.
That's honestly the real reason for why the "Year of the Linux Desktop" will never happen.
There actually probably will be a year in which 'Linux' takes over the desktop. It's actually more likely than you think, but when it happens, it won't be anything like what we are hoping for. It will be a proprietary, locked down system that is completely closed source and without anywhere near the same respect for your freedoms that modern GNU/Linux has. You think "muh systemd" is bad? you aint seen nothin yet.
That is why it will never happen. If we want it to happen the way we would like, we would not only have to improve the experience, but we would also have to change the people. We would have to convince the majority to give a fuck about Free Software and openness.

Shut the fuck up you annoying freeetard semen slurping tranny

Anyone who tries to use your shit OS will evidently pass out and install Windows or buy a Macbook

Linux is just a kernel.

Yes, that's exactly what I fear.

Fortunately most people are too dumb to get into Linux.

Oh it's the retarded faggot with his daily loonix shiet mmkay!xD11 lol thread.
saged.

thanks for the reminder.
My point here still stands though.

Go to bed Richard

fug :DDD:DD is BNU/benix not jus benix :DD, or BNU blus benix :D: benix isnt obreadig szytem, but a bard of a fugtionig szytem made ussfug by BNU gorlib, zhel udilidies an bital szytem bards to a vull OZ as debind by BOSIGS :DDDDDD :DD many gombuder usgers run a bodifid berzion of the BNU szytem ebry day widoud knowig DD:DD :DDD thgrou a beguliar :D jain ob ebengts, the berzion of BNU wigeley usd doday is obden jus “benix :DD”, ad beny ob its usgers not abare thad ids basigly the BNU szytem, debelobd by the BNU Brojegd :DDD:D: DD there rily is a Benix :D:D, and thegs beobl are usig it :DD but ids jusd a bart ob the szytem they usge :DDD Benix :D is the gernel :DD the brograbm in the szytem thad allogads the bajines :DD rezörses to odger brograms that you run :DDD:D gernel is ezsendial bart ob oberadig szytem :DDD but uzles by idself :DDDDDD it can odly fugtion id gontegxt ob a gombled oberadig szydem :DDD:D benix id ngormadly uzgd in gobinadon wid BNU oberadig szydem :D:DD whol szytem is basigly BNU :DD:DD: wid benix :DD or BNU/benix :DDDDDD:DDD DD all so-gald “benix :DD” disdribugons are really disdibutons ob BNU/benix :DDD:DD D:DD :DDD :D :D

>STILL not having an .exe type file to easily install programs without leaving that install process
Flatpacks and snaps are roughly equivalent aren't they?

Holy kek! You're like a master of writing false bullshit!

>pic related
It's OP's parents.

fug

wincuck
>www.botnet.com
>download malware.exe package installer
>better scan that first because windows baby without common sense 2018
>run installer (built-in/windows/who knows?)
>y-you sure, user?
>btw, have some free toolbar and McAfee with that, which you declined installation of but fuck you, we clicked it for you
>realize you're a retard, now have to hunt down uninstall icons for uninstallers (built-in/windows/good luck?)
>residuals everywhere; Program Files/Program Files (x86)/User/admin folder ???
>registery fucked for life
>have to install more botnet to debloat
>no updates

linux master race
>comfy af

when will they learn?

Hopefully one of those comes out on top.
We need 1 (one) solution that covers all of GNU/Linux.

No man, laugh at him. Bump this so everyone can see how stupid these normies are!

>these normies
In reality it's the same dumb fuck over and over, for the past couple of days this retard has been doing this.

obligatory

Yeah, I agree.

Wrong

>open up program I use
>tells me there's a brand new update
>click remind me later
>or click update and it updates right then and there

So easy.

Ah, so they just thrive on bad attention. What a sad man child.

And really, I have a feeling that Flatpak will be the one.

>t. salty ADHD faggot who couldn't spend 5 seconds unchecking boxes on his installer
I've never gotten a bad virus on my windows machine. Worst I've ever gotten was some browser redirect that can be easily removed with MBAM and Hitman Pro

>error 404
>site not found
Oh, too bad. Your program has been abandonware for years and the domain is actually just a malware depot now.
>50 one that say download
>all of them are traps

Why would you want to sit around waiting for your program to update, right when you were about to use it?

Worse, many Windows programs still require user interaction to update, so you have to babysit the whole process.
Or worse still, it sends you to a website to manually download and install the new version.

Even when they do use MSIs half the fucking time the vendor fucks with it to get their shitty software to install, breaking any expectation of it working the way Microsoft expects MSIs to work.

That or the vendor just takes their shitty fucking .exe, wrap it in an MSI wrapper, and get back to sucking each other's dicks so the MSI wrapper can't understand the basic MSI options.

Anyone that thinks individual installers are better than package managers are little brainlets with no real job.

>source I have a real fucking job that consists of having to clean up Windows bullshit constantly and don't sit around playing muh gaymes on my parents' dime.

It's not really bait, it's a desperate loony trying to get some attention.

This.
With Linux updates, you can even automate them (cron and such).

If you have problems with Linux it's your fault for not knowing how to not have problems, but fortunately they make a Linux machine for retarded n1gg3rs like yourself, the Chromebook.

Now go be a sh1tsk1n somewhere else.

>downloading executables from the net and executing them

No wonder windaids is such an infested mess of malware.

Linux is for servers, not desktop use

and what about libraries? How the fuck do those get updated?

Can you provide evidence for those claims?

nigger what do you think bait is

Of course not, he's talking out of his ass.

Probably just did something utterly retarded one day and now blamed the OS instead of himself.

They don't. :3

wew

A long ass rambling post like that is often a sign that he does take adhd meds, amphetamines.

>Worse, many Windows programs still require user interaction to update, so you have to babysit the whole process.
>Or worse still, it sends you to a website to manually download and install the new version.
oh god, this is the absolute worst.
every time i ran qbittorrent on windows
>WOULD YOU LIKE TO UPDATE YOUR SHIT??
>yes
>ENJOY SOURCEFORGE.NET LUL

>defending having to uncheck boxes for malicious/unwanted software
>browser hijacker
>more bloat/virusware to remove it

Thanks for making my point.

>he thinks this

Don't Sup Forumstards use centralized package management systems like Steam?

>He doesn't know the meaning of 'deprecated'
what a cuck

OP is just baiting like a gaynigger does for aids, but in case some newfags reading this, know thT he's simply lying.
Debian has options besides stable, which are as up to date in general as arch and don't break like arch does. Arch is made for people who know how to maintain it, so it doesn't matter if it's hard. You opted into that when you installed, if you can't maintain it just don't use it.
There's no proprietary OS with as much new updates to programs as FOSS ones, so even if you're using distros that are slow to update you'll probably have more of those than wangblows or bitemyapplesenpai.
Ubuntu is just there for noobs to learn the system when they migrate, so it's not an example for anything.
There's not a single claim on OP that should matter from any point of view that's not insane when you're running software.
Install it for a few weeks as a test, if you're afraid, dedicate an hour a day tops for that period learning some new shit and there's no chance you'll go back.

forgot to add
>close all other programs and save all your work, first (kek, >getting real work done on a wintoy)

Because what if I don't use a program for months? Why update it daily? Much less effort to update when I use. Or skip the update when it asks.

Lol, yes, because it's monolithic system that is absolutely equal among distros, so that you can define the entire set of millions of combinations of different programs in one retarded phrase.
Go learn to use Wikipedia first, faggot.

we have fat binaries, please educate yourself and get a life.

>Much less effort
>effort
The hassle of upgrading an entire Linux system: either clicking a single button or passing one line of command and then procceed to use your computer seamlessly during the proccess, and 90%+ of the time not having to even reboot machine later.
O the pain!

>either clicking a single button or passing one line of command
you don't even need to do that. Just schedule it to update automatically with cron.

Does Steam offer other software apart from games yet?

If I could install and maintain Microsoft Office and Adobe CC through Steam I'd consider Windows a usable system.

Imagine Steam working like choco.

My system updates are done when I'm not even at home. So I'm not sure why you're changing the topic.

They have a separate software section that deals with gamedev stuff.

I don't know who buys that stuff off steam but even if no actual game dev buys it, it still doesn't seem like bad idea. I could see a bunch of Sup Forums kids buying $500 software they don't know how to use hoping to implement their half baked game idea.

Up to date != bleeding edge. Ubuntu makes damn sure to backport security patches.

So what your saying is that Linux isn't retard freindly like windows and mac.... Yeah, no clue why the year of the linux desktop isn't here yet. I mean clearly EVERYONE should have to learn to be a power user, even 80+ y/o people that still struggle to understand even simple windows and mac. We should force command line, and repos, and other NONSENSE on them.... I wonder why the year of the linux desktop hasn't come yet? COME ON! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! There should be a simple current working OS with things that just update and work, BUT that has a toggle to enable DEVELOPER/ADVANCED/POWER USER settings for people who know what the fuck they are doing to truly customize their system. Why is it so hard for people to understand this!? Windows probably does this better than most, but it's "simple" view and settings is still pretty complex for noobs and to mess with advanced settings you need to go and mess with the registry and folders all over the place and it's just a headache to do simple things due to how the filesystem and OS is designed (not that Linux is much better in that regard in my experience)

Yup, I'm sticking with the amphetamine hypothesis.

I'm not the OP

see

I meant they should sell software unrelated to games.

Steam is the only "package manager" that actually works on Windows.
It should be the default way of installing software on Windows.

Yeah, you know what, your right. bad adoption of an OS is a good thing. After all, if normies started using it and it got proper dev support that would make it shit.... that makes perfect sense

See

I'm updating Ubuntu every 5 years or so. Most of the programs (apps you noob) I install need compiling so fuck synaptic. Why do people have problems? Pretty much all devices run Linux or some spinoff anyway and have for years. Its only home and small business computers that run doze, not a considerable market share in my book.

(-ლ) Unironically believing this. Yeah, if people sit back and do nothing to improve the experience and try to inform normies about open source that WILL happen... so again, WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT A DUAL LEVEL SYSTEM FOR SIMPLE/ADVANCED USAGE TO DRIVE ADOPTION PROPERLY!?

If you don't like Linux, don't use it. It's not for idiots like you.

Trips of truth.

>i have never used arch but just spew out whatever i hear on Sup Forums the post

It's better to have an option to use either desu.

Fuck it, I'll bite the bait, writing this reply is at least something to do while I wait for my chinese cartoons to finish downloading.

.deb on Debian or Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE and their derivatives have something similar as well iirc

>Falsely claiming that package managers will always stay up to date and keep you up to date when Ubuntu doesn't get the latest version of a program but rather the latest version of a program for the version of Ubuntu you have, which is updated every six months
If you want bleeding-edge over stability, why are you on Ubuntu?

>If you decide you want to get serious about learning to use Linux and install Debian, you have to deal with insanely ancient outdated repositories
you'd install Gentoo, not Debian. The outdated repos problem was solved by forking Debian and making Ubuntu. Granted, Ubuntu repos are outdated too by your standards, but as far as stable releases go it "fixed" Debian's problem

>If you decide that you always want the latest software, you have to get a distro like Arch, which has a rolling release schedule that can break your installation and force you to deal with .conf files for hours upon end, which only autistic weaaboo manchildren with too much free time can contend with
You wanted bleeding edge, so you got bleeding edge. Latest software = not all the major bugs have been found/fixed, you're trading stability to have the latest, not fully tested features, so of course there'd be fuck-ups

>Lets not even start with the fact with every distribution, you need to update your kernel manually to keep it even close to up-to-date
I have never had to manually update the kernel on any Linux installation in my life, save for the one time I tried installing Gentoo in a VM.

Reminder than Windows, OSX, Android and iOS are all utter shit.

So yeah.
Stay away please.

>implying linux isn't also shit
Just shit in different ways.

Nigga that's by design. Use Fedora if you're sane and Arch if you're retarded.

Calm down...

You need to explain how exactly this would work.
What do you mean by this simple mode? I'm assuming it would be some GUI. Which one? GNOME? KDE? Something new? Remember that there are several desktop environments, because GNU/Linux gives developers the freedom to create them.
Also, what about this "advanced mode"? Are we allowed to remove the GUI and replace it with a different one? Are we allowed to have headless systems for servers and the like?

I really want to get an idea of your mindset and how this would play out.