Why doesn't someone just make a Linux distro that can run .exe files?

Why doesn't someone just make a Linux distro that can run .exe files?

Other urls found in this thread:

zorinos.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longene
winehq.org/announce/3.0
youtube.com/watch?v=0XECsYiAY3A
youtube.com/watch?v=Taq3KIco8mk
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
comma.guide/vocative-comma/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Install reactOS

Because you shouldn't be using linux if you don't know how to install wine

First off, at least wait for your other thread to die before making another one on the same topic Second, that wouldn't be possible. The best option we have for this would be Wine, which doesn't work for everything.

It's the same sad fuck looking for attention.
Hope you find peace someday.

My Linux distro runs any exe via Windows in KVM virtual machines. With VMs, you can treat OS like applications.

Now go trade your extra chromosome for something you can use.

What is a distro that ships with wine...

This will be right up your alley Windowsfag
zorinos.com/

Because only Microsoft is that good.

Developers can't figure out how exes work? Give me a legitimate reason why it's not possible.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longene

But seriously, just use WINE.

enjoy your severe lack of 3D acceleration

>i want windows without windows

install wine, pirate some win iso or don't do anything retard

I have a 1080 Ti in my Windows VM so I've got plenty of 3D acceleration.

Programs written and compiled for Windows make use of Windows-specific APIs, libraries and such, which are mostly closed-source, so we can only reverse-engineer them like WINE does.

winehq.org/announce/3.0

Can you run Offices, photoshop, and modern games on wine? Thought so.

Yes, yes, yes. Fuck off.

The fuck is with these threads all of the sudden? Stop shitposting.

Longene is abandonware.

It's entirely possible to make a Piracy WINE with all the proprietary libraries included and ready to go. A lot of users are already using a pirated version of windows anyway. Problem is it would have to be distributed by a 3rd party so the WINE team doesn't get sued.

>It's entirely possible to make a Piracy WINE with all the proprietary libraries included and ready to go. A lot of users are already using a pirated version of windows anyway. Problem is it would have to be distributed by a 3rd party so the WINE team doesn't get sued.
WHEN DO WE START!?

Theoretically could there be a Linux distro with WINE built in that automatically attempts to recognize exes?

Zorin, PCLinuxOS, NetRunner (the distro), etc etc.

Guys, I think OP is a winrefugee that hasn't even installed a distro yet. That's why he wants a "pre-installed solution".

Lets leave him to figure how easy things are on his own.

It's not that easy, faggot.
You have to have all the correct stuff to even be able to run one single type of .exe file, and it isn't so easy to get everything when winblows is closed source. The closest we have is wine 3.0

>enjoy your severe lack of 3D acceleration

Uh, user... it's 2018. You can just use virt- you know what, you do not deserve to know.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you are referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact, Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux. Alpine Linux and various other distros run the Linux kernel without encorporating any GNU components at all.

This was done years ago. A Linux distro with Wine compiled into the kernel.

because windows as a platform is a hindrance to software development

>or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Linux.

>forgot that Wine supports DX10 and DX11
>doesn't know that Vulkan has strong support on Linux
>doesn't boost framerates by creating a script that pulls straight from the metal.

Wine

Whenever you want.

ZorinOS.

ZorinOS

Use LXDE Lubuntu and run wine. Install direct x and MS-Redis and just watch the magic happen. there is nothing I cant run

>Zorin
lmao. My man vwestlife is about to give you a quick rundown about that shit distro.
youtube.com/watch?v=0XECsYiAY3A

He's using an unsupported graphics card. It's non-Linux issue, and definitely not an issue with Zorin because it would happen on any distro.

Linux is just a kernel, with or without GNU.

uuuuuhhhh no sweety that's not true. Maybe it would have worked with proprietary drivers.

how dare you talk shit about vwestlife
>hey it's your hardware problem, linux works and it's better than windows
youtube.com/watch?v=Taq3KIco8mk
not so fast linuxtards

Linspire did that I think.

>chmod u+x topkek.exe
>./topkek.exe
Not that difficult, user

>don't do anything retard
How is that any different from using a distro with or without WINE?

I'm on a laptop
You can pass through the enire iGPU and it works, but I see absolutely no point since you can't have a linux desktop behind it
Intel's GVT-g would be great but they rewrote the entire fucking thing so you can't just switch between the vm/host display, sadly, and RDP is slow and awful

>doesn't read the post I was replying to

good for you

>pirate
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

>don't do anything retard
Don't do anything, retard.
comma.guide/vocative-comma/

They're called appimages