So i'm on a really tight budget and im trying to turn my dell optiplex 780 into a decent gaming system...

so i'm on a really tight budget and im trying to turn my dell optiplex 780 into a decent gaming system. every part in it is good enough except it has no graphics card so i wanna put a gtx 960 in it. (i'm aware that card wont really fit but i'm fine with an open case). problem is the power supply is only 230w so i gotta upgrade it to run the gpu.

pretty bad with computers so my question is what power supply should i buy to upgrade it? would it be easier to have a separate one just for the card?

just get a Vita and put cfw, you can play all the neptunia games and vn. thank me later.

Do you have surplus budget in case your ingenious idea of sawing open the case doesn't work quite as well as expected?

> would it be easier to have a separate one just for the card?
Unlikely, you'll probably just run into issues like that the PSU won't power on without you rigging a resistor. Or whatever else.

Plus you'll have a PSU hanging out; an accident waiting to happen.

i don't have to do much to get it to fit it'll be fine

You can try finding the better dell version ps and opt for a small form factor gpu

is there even any higher wattage ones i can use with it?

Optimist. Well, good luck then!

i dont know
why not just buy one of them atx beige tin cases
with lots of room and like 1 or 2 fan slots and plug all these thigns into there, changing the video card and psu out

i haven't dealt with computers very much so i don't wanna go through putting everything in a new case.

Get a 1030 instead.

Recommended PSU is 400 watts. So unless you have a way to power a gtx 960 separately I would get a gt 1030 or a gtx 1050

>dont want to unscrew things
but you want to cut through it

use gtx 750 lp, GTX 1050 lp or RX 550 Lp

wouldn't i still have to change the power supply?

Optiplex 780 uses a proprietary case mount, So that's not an option.
Probably. Cnet says the RX550 requires a 350W power supply.

Not with a 1030, they barely use 35w at full load.

oh wow. could i connect it to the power supply already in it?

They don't need external power connectors at all, the PCIE slot supplies 75w. This is why people usually buy cards like the 750 or the 1030/1050 when they're in your situation, because they're power efficient enough that they don't need external power.

so i should probably just go with the gt 1030 then?

If you don't already own the 960, yeah. It's small, cheap for a new card and it'll play most modern stuff on console settings (1080p low/medium) and older stuff on high/max.

i did already buy the 960 so i'm trying my best to make that work. doesn't look like i'll get anywhere though

Ebay usually has Radeon 6670s for around $30 shipped, and you can sometimes find a 7750 for $40 or a little higher. You aren't going to be playing Battlefield very well on them but they're better than not having a card at all. Just make sure you get the GDDR5 version if you do, the DDR3 version is even more useless.

i'll probably just get the 7750 then. still looking for a way to get the 960 to work in the meantime though

Get a 750ti, 1030 or 1050 (or an RX 550, maybe 560 of you wanna push it) and you probably should be OK with your PSU.

Dude... you're going to have some hell...
Also if you need to modify that case, you best take everything out of it before you start cutting because metal shavings + computer parts = pile of junk.