AyyMD

hothardware.com/news/amd-lawsuit-over-silence-spectre-meltdown-cpu-exploits

I thought AMD were supposed to be the "good guys". Is current generation Threadripper depreciated now?

Other urls found in this thread:

amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/intel-faces-class-action-lawsuits-regarding-meltdown-and-spectre/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The lawsuits don't hold any water, you can sue anyone for anything.

> though the ire of the lawsuit against AMD is that it initially kept quiet about its chips being susceptible to both variants of Spectre, thereby "artificially inflating" the company's stock price
It's literally nothing. Not revealing the existence of serious security exploits until they have been patched is standard practice.

>yea
but intel can sell the shit out of their stock while knowing their shits broke and
nobody gets arrested

Pretty much, purposely releasing new hardware WITH the flaw might be grounds for a real lawsuit, but that would put Intel than AMD in much deeper shit and everyone knows the gibbumint would just bail them out.

This whole thing is stupid, has anyone actually seen spectre in action? It's super fucking slow, you would have to leave malicious javascript running for like 2 hours for it to do anything, we'd be better off if this shit just wasn't released to the public.

>intel shills so buttblasted they start a frivolous lawsuit smear campaign against AMD

Do you know there is 3 variants of spectre and meltdown is only one of them?

Reading comprehension people, fucking learn it.

He's right though. Spectre affects nearly all CPUs, including ARM. The lawsuits claim that AMD made misleading statements, but AMD worded them correctly. They "believe" it doesn't affect any of their processors. They then came clean and said that it was possible to pull off an attack.

here's what the website/pdf claims,
>On the same day[third of jan], an AMD spokesperson told investors there that its chips were vulnerable to one of the Spectre variants, and there was "near zero risk" that its chips were vulnerable to the other variant.
on the third of january this is what amd said,
>"To be clear, the security research team identified three variants targeting speculative execution. The threat and the response to the three variants differ by microprocessor company, and AMD is not susceptible to all three variants. Due to differences in AMD's architecture, we believe there is a near zero risk to AMD processors at this time. We expect the security research to be published later today and will provide further updates at that time."
emphasis needs to be added to the last two sentences, especially for 'we believe', what amd are saying is that they believe there's near zero risk (of variant 2) and that actual security updates will follow, this is important because the lawsuit is claiming that the press release by lisa on the 11th that 'admitted' amd was vulnerable to variant two tanked amd stock and that amd were witholding this information prior to the 11th of january
however, on the fourth of january this is what amd said in a press release on their website,
>Variant Two [...] Differences in AMD architecture mean there is a near zero risk of exploitation of this variant. Vulnerability to Variant 2 has not been demonstrated on AMD processors to date.
they STILL say this on their website today after multiple revisions - amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

tl;dr: people that kept amd stock for a week too long until it fell are now mad
I would't be surprised if this lawsuit is thrown out

This, AMD admitted the day of Google's release that they were:
>1. Vulnerable
>2. Vulnerable, but awaiting proof
>3. Not vulnerable

The release on the 11th provides no further facts that weren't already known.

Anyone running TR/EPYC should consider switching to Xeon Platinums. Pic related

>server board
>ASUS
>only 12 DIMMs

Lmao, piece of garbage

Notice the name of the motherboard

Ah.

>consider switching from a platform that has less than 10% performance hit to one that has up to 50% performance hit
shooo, go away kike

How does that complete with Threadripper?

See

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/intel-faces-class-action-lawsuits-regarding-meltdown-and-spectre/

i am generally proud that my shitposting photo was used in this collage.
>pic related
that's my photo that's shown in this shitposting collage.

That's true, doesn't mean is not a garbage practice that should be eradicated and that shilling fo companies that do such things makes you a fucking imbecile (unless you are getting paid)

the guy was doing the same thing he does every year. when are you dumb commies going to learn that people can do what they want, and it's up to you as a consumer to decide on a personal level that you're not doing business with a company for X reason. maybe one day you'll have to do business with them, you may not like them, but they may be your best option in that particular situation. that's how capitalism is good. people can still make transactions even if they disagree, or even if they don't like each other. the world doesn't stop just because two parties don't love each other.

>asus
>server
hot garbage

Someone explain to me Spectre in layman's terms.

It's been a while since I have dropped in about this whole Metldown/Spectre fiasco.
As an average tech (intel) user, I don't know much about this, so I would appreciate it if someone corrected me on these.

>Meltdown
Patched via OS update back in Jan. Only servers have taken a huge hit with performance.
>Spectre 1
Shouldn't exist on Windows, but it could be exploited with some installed third-party drivers. Is there a way to check this?
>Spectre 2
Patched via microcode. My motherboard's last update was on 2013. Windows has a implemented a mitigation. Is this good enough?

Dont post if you "dont know shit" mr. Intel damage control
Also google is a thing you fucktard

My fucking X370 motherboard hasn't been patched yet.

Now AMD is releasing B450 and X470

Fucking AMD.

I got a bios update today for my x370 board

I got a bios update on the 18th of January but it didn't patch spectre.

Ya, mine just noted improved performance and nothing else. Didn't check to see if spectre was patched yet.

So it turns out both Intel and AMD got fucked by the same issue, but that it was discovered by Intel first, yet people are still spouting their brand-war bullshit?

You're both getting screwed over here.

Intel will emerge victorious, like it always does.
Salve Intel, victrix et invictus! Finally AMDlets are going to shut the fuck up about 'muh meltdown' hoax

>but intel can sell the shit out of their stock

Why would they do that? They are the undisputed market leader and soon they will be the only player on the CPU market.

>inb4 muh ryzen+ muh 7nm in 2018
LOL

trying too hard

>Only servers have taken a huge hit with performance.
This is objectively false.

>Shouldn't exist on Windows
This is also false. There is nothing inherent to Windows that makes it immune. Also, you don't need to install a driver of some sorts to make it exploitable.

>Windows has a implemented a mitigation. Is this good enough?
They haven't. No, it's not good enough.

>$AMD gained 25% since vulnerability announcement
>Idiot still lost money

AMD's first statement said they are not vulnerable to Meltdown. True

AMD's second statement said they are vulnerable to both vulnerabilities, one can be mitigated by patches, the other has never been demonstrated on AMD chips and is of negligible risk. Still true.

The lawsuit is bogus

would love to see the face of the shareholder when they demonstrate that someone needs to have a physical access and being able to have direct access on the memory

so you are suggesting that someone should throw away a 1950x literally an epyc to go on intel that costs much have less and is more open to exploits than a college whore opens her legs

I hope Intel will resurrect Itanium after all this shit

You both did not pay attention to the name of the motherboard; I am implying something else