>still writing in C
Fuck off, retard.

yep this stupid oldfags!
let's write new window manager with javascript

>install sway
>can't launch it from a modern dm
>can't even launch it through startx
I'd use it otherwise.

i3, I installed it 4 months ago and have not figured out how to close it, have been using it ever since.

>install sway
>launch it from startx
wait a minute

C++17 or Rust

>sway
>startx
nigger what

Fuck off, C nigger.
We don't want your null pointer exceptions, buffer overflows, and memory leaks.
way-cooler.org/

KDE wayland multihead 4k ready when?!!

>OOP
nothx

how the hell am I supposed to start it from TTY then?

i3wm
it's not actually the best but if you haven't made the switch to a tiling wm yet what is wrong with you

nvm I'm dumb.

>startx
>wayland
Try again

>oop
>rust
Idiot

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Scripters, and I've been involved in numerous webapps, and I have over 300 confirmed npm paxkages. I am trained in AngularJS and I'm the top code artisan in the entire Numale Cuckold forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth with tools like Wipeout.js, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of aspies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life.js. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my base dependencies. Not only am I extensively trained in Vue.js, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Node Package Manager and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

>t. couldn't understand pointers

There is literally nothing wrong with C.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Because the problem with window managers is that binaries aren't big enough!

Hello, is this your first day on Reddit?

I use ctwm
pretty fast and stable

my only issue is minor focus problems in firefox

the one you have with you

Awesome is awesome!

hit alt + enter to bring up the terminal, then type i3-msg exit

>all these shit replies
its dwm retards

Openbox in Xfce

fvwm1 because there is no bullshit.

>userfriendly

whatever fits your needs

you can't /thread yourself you faggot

>said nobody ever
also $mod+Shift+E to exit

I was looking for a good WM to try wayland out, how much this differs from i3 in terms of features

awesomewm

Wmutils w/ custom scripts

fuck tom

>best linux window manager and why
Windows 7

KWin

>overcomplicated garbage devoid of simplicity and elegance

> and why

pros and cons of wayland, please desu

> !!Wayland works through rasterization of pixels which brings about two very bad critical problems which will never be solved:

> Firstly, forget about performance/bandwidth efficient RDP protocol (it's already implemented but it works by sending the updates of large chunks of the screen, i.e. a lot like old highly inefficient VNC), forget about OpenGL pass-through, forget about raw compressed video pass-through. In case you're interested all these features work inMicrosoft's RDP*.

> Secondly, forget about proper outputrotation/scaling/ratio** change.

> !!Applications (GUI toolkits) must implement their own font antialiasing - there's no API for setting system-wide font rendering. What??! Most sane and advanced windowing systems work exactly this way - Windows, Android, Mac OS X. In Wayland all clients (read applications) are totally independent.

> !!Applications (GUI toolkits) must implement their own DPI scaling.

> The above issues are actually the result of not having one unified graphical toolkit/API (and Wayland developerswill not implementit***). Alas, no one is currently working towards making existing toolkits share one common configuration for setting font antialiasing, DPI scaling and windows shadowing. At least in theory these issues can be easily solved, in practice we already have three independent toolkits for Wayland (GTK3/Qt5/Enlightenment).

* en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol#Features
** reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1zt497/i_am_concerned_about_waylands_premature/
*** bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93794

>raw compressed video pass-through
sounds like it would need kernel support desu

God the Ubuntu ui is fucking hideous

So, it's the X all over again?
>Most sane and advanced windowing systems ... Windows, Android, Mac OS X.
Have you noticed how all the the most sane and advanced windowing systems are made solely by corporations and proprietary?

jwm (joe's window manager)

wayland was pushed by intel because they wanted to use it for tizen
obviously they never cared about linux on the desktop

Binary Space Partitioning Window Manager

The best.

Yep. Was a long time dwm user, but just switched to sway. I love dwm but the fact that sway is virtually fully developed tiling wm that works with Wayland finally won me over

awesome wm

BUT MUH SECURITY

What terminal do you use with it?

fvwm

Rox

Literally just run "sway".

Just because you're bad at programming doesn't mean C is bad.

If you're using a DE are you supposed to change the WM that it comes with?

This
maximum customization and the ability to activate/deactivate modules all within the config file, which can save on memory or increase functionality.

Um, Openbox?

I assume you live on your own. I'm jealous that your can get away with that wallpaper.

What did it say?

Got a sauce on that pic?

Nothing else even tries to compete with FVWM, but config is confusing, and sometimes requires ugly bash/perl solutions.

I sometimes use JWM for basic desktops in VMs, but it has too many bugs and window hint incompatabilities for my main machine.

I switched to FVWM because there are no good standalone panels/taskbars/window lists to go with Openbox. FVWM is also still being developed while Openbox is probably dead.

anyone?

mwm

It's Kuro from Fate/Kaleid at least.

i thought rox was a file manager

We know. We are also aware that GNU is the shitty part. Stop reminding us about having to deal with GNU, Richard.

what's wrong with GNU?

> Sway.
> swaywm.org/

> /thread

>Unironically using waylate
>/Threading yourself

it looks good and wayland is the fut-

>random anime video on the presentation

into the trash it goes

I have found a lot of wm managers that never tried them before:

icewm
jwm
fvwm
fvwm-crystal
pekwm

There are a lot of themes for icewm and pekwm, I am surprised. Are they good?

>random anime video on the presentation
>into the trash it goes
you must not use any OSS then because just about every git project ive seen has at least one contributer with an anime profile image

Even if you're "great" at C, it implies nothing about whether you're good at designing systems, and it gives you more than enough rope to hang yourself with when humans inevitably make mistakes. Unless you're supplementing your C with some kind of formal verification system and maintain great discipline while developing, there's not much of an advantage to using C over something like idris/haskell/ocaml, or even a subset of C++17. It might be better than shitlangs like js, but it's really not worthy of all the defending and fetishising it gets on this board. C is literally OG meme tier.

or you can stop putting anime shit in technology. It could work, you know

it's bloat. musl + busybox (or any BSD userland) is superior.

i3

>musl
From the Void linux wiki:
>Some programs (mostly graphical applications) will work incorrectly, or segfault when run under musl. This may be due to programs expecting some glibc-specific behavior.
Musl isn't finished yet. There is clearly critical functionality that hasn't yet been added to it. It's incomplete.

just use what works for you, test some out. Personally I think tiling window managers are better and I recommend i3.

Don't worry, happens to all of us. And by us I mean Sup Forums

WindowMaker

>muh training wheels
i bet you like rust

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.
Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.
One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?
(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.
You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.
Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.
Thanks for listening.

bspwm+sxhkd

because i like it

Guys, while a lot of this might be complete autism, I personally think that in this day and age, calling it GNU/Linux actually has some real meaning. There is this little thing called Android, and it uses the Linux kernel, but the rest of the components are non-GNU. Some are even proprietary! However, I have seen normies make the dangerously misleading claim that "Android is Linux!" It technically is, as it uses the Linux Kernel, but it shares nothing else with GNU/Linux distros, particularly their respect for your freedoms.
Because of this, we should say GNU/Linux, so as not to confuse it with the botnet that is Android, or other such projects. By saying GNU/Linux, we make it clear that yes, we are using Linux, but we are also using Free Software.

I just liked i3. At the start it felt like a tryhard way of doing things but as you (or me, I guess) have to tweak it to put it to your taste, you never forget how it works and it ends up feeling incredible comfy.

stop consuming soy

do you understand what "glibc-specific" means? Nobody's even arguing that musl is complete, but devs making use of unportable platform specific features/behaviors doesn't automatically make that shit a standard part of an api specification that all other libraries must adhere to. A large part of the reason glibc is bloated in the first place is *because* it has so much unportable nonsense like that. It's also why languages with unspecified behavior (like C) are a pain to deal with. If musl decided to just cap it's features where they are and remain that way, the library is well within it's right to do that and call it "completed" if it wanted to, it'd just require more porting effort on the distro/app developers' side. That's basically what happens with the BSDs already.

Because I don't have big monitor.

simplicity

All the more reason then… Why haven't you switched yet?

Having more than one window in my 720p screen looks shitty. Can't buy a new one because I'm still saving for a new rig first.

i3 allows you to tab your windows while keeping them maximized permanently

Why don't just use alt tab, then?

That's like saying freebsd is incomplete because it can't perfectly run linux applications