ReactOS

>ReactOS
I've briefly tested it in a VM today and it seems decent, has anyone tried using it as a daily driver? Is there anything major missing or bad compatibility with some applications?

And how do "muh gaymes" perform?

It is missing a lot. Some things work but you are better off using Linux and use Wine for anything you need that is Windows only. Games perform very poorly.

Yes

What the hell is this? Nu-male OS?

It's not a replacement for your "daily driver"
Stop being a illiterate retard

I will not use it because my hardware doesn't have drivers for older versions of Windows.

Also, I believe React OS is still in alpha.

This. Not only that, but it's likely that they're making slow progress since they have to make sure they do anything that'll get them sued by M$ lawyers.

*make sure they DON'T do anything that'll get them sued

post yfw ReactOS reaches aero-era Windows

Putin should finance this OS.

>Making React OS look like XP

This day will be one of the best days of my life.

If it does get to that point, then I would finally be able to leave Windows behind forever, at least for personal use. I hope and pray the devs stick with it and get it to that point, so that it plays all my old PC and emulator games.

sounds like shit
how?

that's not how anything works

no? nooo?? no what are you talking about?

its like 5 slavs in russia, im pretty sure russia wont sue 5 poor slavs

Doesn't even boot on my machines.

"but muh games"

>how?
Copy theme files from an XP machine. Or download them from somewhere.

Hi, I'm a brainlet that hasn't used Windows in a decade outside of work and I don't know anything about the inner workings of it. Would the same be possible with Windows 7 Aero theme files?

No, but you can get some pseudo aero themes for XP from websites and use those

Eh, sounds good I guess. But why can't it use the same Aero theme as Windows 7? It's the only version of Windows that looked really good to me.

Look at the reactOS community youtube channel.
They test a wide variety of games and software.
Thank god development picked up speed in the last few years

because react os was built on windows xp and 2003, not seven

Does Aero basic not exist in a format XP/ROS can use?

it's not that bad these days and runs a lot of software without too many issues and it overally feels fairly polished and is just like using Windows 2000
but it's nowhere near stable enough to use as a day-to-day system, unless you really enjoy having the entire UI just lock up on you for no apparent reason, and that's not even getting into program compatibility issues

I'd probably run it day-to-day if it was stable under-the-hood, even if software support was patchy, but it's still clearly alpha-quality software.

>Thank god development picked up speed in the last few years
Gotta be honest here, I thought ReactOS was dead until Sup Forums started posting about it recently. I used to do some very, very light dev stuff for the project when I worked out of the University of Waterloo. We installed it on some generic grad PCs and fiddled around with them, reported our usage and what got borked and why. The test project died tho because there was effectively zero interest in it. People who really "were into computers" didn't use Windows except for taxes, and people who wanted to game or do business stuff didn't have the patience or education to wrestle with buggy pseudowindows builds.

No it wasn't. It's just at that level of compatibility. And even by your logic, Vista was built on XP, and 7 was built on Vista. Vista was basically XP with Aero.

you can't play old games with wine? everyold game i have works with wine

It's an amazing project, and I'm thankful it exists. Look up talks by the lead developers, they're a treat to listen to.

>unless you really enjoy having the entire UI just lock up on you for no apparent reason
I thought the goal of ReactOS was a perfect feature by feature recreation of Windows?

My experience with it has always been it works for a few minutes, then it manages to fuck and break. So no.

ayyyy