phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-Buster-GNOME-Wayland
github.com/lxde/lxqt/wiki/TODO-for-Wayland
github.com/lxde/lxqt/issues/645
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>swaywm.org/
>all of the sway utilities use sway[word] style
>except sway-bar
dropped

>Open-source drivers work fine (Intel, AMD, Nouveau)
Do Nouveau drivers work BETTER with Wayland or are they just as shit?

YEAR OF THE WAYLAND PROTOCOL

>freedesktop
>gnome
jeez, they might's well have said
>HillaryTrumpham
>Literally Hitler
can't wait to have my freedoms further restricted by half-baked user-disrespecting protocol designs
oh well, it's the freedesktop/gnome/lennart way

I am, it's wayland that's not ready, like, at all.

> Are you ready?

I have been waiting for years. The only DE that seems to embrace it is KDE plasma... Clearly the devs havent got the manpower / support they need to push it mainstream and Canonical Tards need to hang for that MIR abortion making things worse

Probably yeah, they implement GBM so they work. The proprietary drivers don't, nvidia is trying to push their eglstreams alternative but it's a mixed bag.
Of course nouveau has shit performance. Lesson: buy amd.

No, i have an Nvidia GPU.

Didn't canonical already gave up on Mir? They're even using Gnome as the default DE again, with Wayland.

Retard's brain is so fried by memes he cannot string together a post without every other word being a buzzword or buzzphrase he uses as a replacement for intelligence which he is absolutely lacking. Stay away from technology related talks, retardo.

no

I love how the Wayland website is marked up. Plain HTML and lists. It's gorgeous.

Wayland stopped working for me. Had to resort back to xorg.

That's what they asked in 2012
Wayland has yet to be usable without frequent full-system-freezes, max 5 X programs running, no input lag, or, you know, actual WMs/DEs working on it.

I may be wrong but I think I read that a part of wayland actually relies on systemd.
If that was not FUD then I don't see a reason to be hyped about it.

Just started using sway on my arch system. It's super /comfy/

Total FUD. You're thinking of GNOME, which has relied on systemd for some time now, even on X. GNOME is just one of the Wayland compositors that exist, with other options such as KDE or Sway being available.
Is KDE fully working on Wayland now? Last time I heard about it, it was still in its early stages.
That's a shame. There's a reason why Linus flipped them off. Pic related.
>buy amd
This. If Nvidia's not going to be releasing Free Software drivers, then we shouldn't be supporting their shit.

Yeah, it's an example of how a website can be super clear and good looking, while also being simple and non-bloated. Other sites need to start taking notes.
The only thing I would have opted for would perhaps be a sans font of some sort.

Great! Sway is very much like i3wm, to the point where they say you can reuse most of your old config if you used to use i3. Another nice thing is that it's a clear, solid, single product with gaps support, rather than having to refer to some gay fork for your comfy gaps.

Another cool thing about Wayland, starting your compositor has never been simpler!
On X, if you wanted to start your WM or DE from the TTY, you would have to download startx, put the command as an exec in your .xinitrc file in your home directory, and then run the startx program. There's a layer here between you and the environment.
On Wayland, the start program is a part of the compositor itself, so for Sway, you literally just type "sway" on the TTY to launch it. For KDE, it has a command called "startplasmacompositor" GNOME is a bit more involved, but that's because GNOME is GNOME.

But imagine that! Actually typing the direct name of the thing you want to launch to launch it? Sounds very comfy and simple to me.

Isn't wayland already the default in Ubuntu 17.10?
I'm already using it.

Yeah it is. If GNOME crashes on Wayland, it falls back to X, but assuming it all worked out, you should be using Wayland.

How are you liking it, btw?

It makes my mouse lag a bit once in a while, but it usually works fine.

Cool. Obviously it's newer, so there's gonna be some instability. I think the idea with these distros shipping with it is to put more attention on it and get bugs like that fixed faster.
Any screen tearing?

Debian 10 Buster will be using Wayland on GNOME installs. Maybe KDE too?
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Debian-Buster-GNOME-Wayland

Better question: Is Wayland ready?

No, I'm not getting any screen tearing.
The only bug I have is the mouse lagging every time there's a big load on the cpu.
I think that the problem is that the mouse rendering isn't its own thing and it's tied to the render of the whole screen.

It's ready enough for Ubuntu, Fedora, and soon Debian to ship with it as default.

Literally everyone I know that uses those distros uses X. It's just distros pushing it, while users use fallback.

Good. One of the issues that Wayland appears to be trying to eliminate is screen tearing, which was apparently a serious issue for many people on X.

i still have it on gnome wayland

I plan to use Sway on my next install.

I'm not moving to wayland until suckless ports everything they made to wayland

I've been using Sway for months now.

Is ubuntu 18.04 LTS still going to use wayland by default?

How is Wayland on FreeBSD? Does it work at all? I want to try FreeBSD (actually, I definitely will install it on home server, but that's another thing), but I also want to embrace Wayland.

Does XFCE4 support wayland yet? Probably not...

If XFCE finished the transition from GTK2 to GTK3, then yes

>Angel Beats

Dropped

And LXQT?

I have no idea on the current status of LXQT, sorry

They haven't, and probably never will. XFCE moves at a snail's pace.
Yep!
I think FreeBSD still hasn't supported it yet, but is slowly working on it. For right now, if you want Wayland, you're gonna be using GNU/Linux.

Can I switch if I use Arch+i3 right now, and a Nvidia GPU with proprietary drivers?

They would also have to rewrite the compositor to support Wayland.

I don't think it supports it yet, but I could totally see it happening since it uses the modern QT5.

>nvidia with proprietary drivers
Sway incidentally does have EGLstream support because of some pull requests to WLC (the current backend) way back when. But the devs are going to switch it to wlroots pretty soon which will not have any wayland support at all.

>and a Nvidia GPU with proprietary drivers?
No. Nvidia is basically not supported (outside of maybe the shitty nouveau driver).
Stop supporting this garbage company.

not have any nvidia proprietary support at all*

No. GNOME and Sway are literally the only two usable options right now. KDE is turbo broken on Wayland due to some bugs in Qt5.

Never will. They haven't even ported it to gtk3, which will soon be deprecated anyway. Not to mention that a few distros are now looking into doing away with gtk2 entirely.

What's the point of xfce in 2018 though? Solus devs showcased their Plasma iso and apparently it only requires 350mb of ram for the entire OS.

Slackware is going to have to drop xfce eventually, why not just replace it with LXDE

They're slowly working on Gtk3 since that opens up both Wayland and HiDPI.

Slackware has always used KDE.

I want to love QT but Plasma and KDE feel so bloated. Not to mention the HUGE buttons everywhere, thats why I will wait for LXQT I think.

And I will miss Whisker menu...

It also has XFCE4 available and used to have GNOME before they dropped that. What's the appeal of KDE4?

yea and what compositor will they be forced to use? Mutter? No thanks.

They'd write a compositor of their own to replace xfwm. Using wlroots once it's done would do most of the heavy lifting.

We're on KDE5, grandpa.

They can't port it to gtk3 and they are going to write their own compositor? You're being overly optimistic here. Just let it go. XFCE had a good run.

does sway really not run on VMs? anyone tried it?

Why would it not run in a VM?

Because Virtualbox's GPU driver doesn't support it

I just built a desktop after years of using a busted laptop from 2012 and I could only afford a 1050 Ti. Would rather have a 570 but they're overpriced.

So I have little choice but still use X.org.

The only thing stopping me is the lack of awesomewm in the Wayland ecosystem. I don't give a fuck about other window managers.

>Are you ready?!?
Only when it works for Xfce

It's the other way around, xfce has to work on it.

They're working on it though, first step would be to port it all to gtk3 which is what they're doing with 4.14

i’ve used it in kvm and it works

Just use a good theme.

Waiting for SimpleScreenRecorder, OBS, Redshift, and remote desktop support.

Just use the built-in GNOME solutions. You don't need all those features anyway standalone applications offer anyway.

>wanting your display server to handle that

If you're using a DE are you supposed to change the WM that it comes with?

On Wayland you can't.

Oh wait I meant to post that in the WM thread

>dude plays angel beats in demo video

mein schwarzen

this or at least dwm and st

github.com/lxde/lxqt/wiki/TODO-for-Wayland

and LXQT uses openbox as WM, and that's not had any commits since ~2015

they will switch to kwin when Wayland is complete.

github.com/lxde/lxqt/issues/645

and you calling out on memes and buzzwords makes you a stand up guy. Fuck off, even if the other user isn't articulate he is right, this shit is nowhere near ready or supported, at least not worth the trouble.
Do you want mass adoption and shit, make Canonical faggots use it, which in turn won't happen since those guys are bigger faggots than you.

Any bets on how long it takes Nvidia to get their shit together and start working with Wayland devs?

5 more years. AMD's drivers got really good quickly by collaborating with the kernel developers and having the code open source. NVIDIA wants to keep their driver proprietary, so it'll take them much longer to figure it out.

What do you like about it? Have you had any issues?

X on non-intel graphics was a screen-tear fest for so fucking long

No since I have a novidia card and kwin isn't going to support eglstreams.

>thinking gee deserves anything more than meme/buzz/shitposts

>gnome
Might as well install Windows 10.

>wayland is very simple
>so simple, it doesn't allow you to use custom screenshot apps
>wow, it's all integrated into the compositor!
>such integration, can't possibly think of downsides
this is why integrated apple-tier "we know what's best for you" shitware continues to crowd out loosely coupled tools
enjoy having your desktop icons removed, gnome knows what's best for you

about as ready as pulseaudio
common denominators? hint: freedesktop

the alternative is having screentearing....

But user, I have no interest in using GNOME.
I prefer Sway.
Some others may decide to use KDE when it's fully ported.

Stop spreading FUD.

It's all opensource. Just write your screenshot tool to work with whatever compositor you like the best.

>it doesn't allow you to use custom screenshot apps
more examples of this shit?

>who would want such a feature anyway
>we literally can't think of a reason for you to want that
>you're using it wrong
>we know what's best for you

>freedesktop
what the fuck's the alternative?
Everybody goes back to using TTYs? No graphical interfaces?

OH YEAH i'm sure that's gonna make people wanna come running over to use GNU/Linux. For sure, man.

>tear free video requires your protocols to be half-baked, it's just the way it is
there's actual people that believe this
I'm not saying xorg isn't shit, it is
but wayland's fucking up way more than one'd expect

>He thinks gnome is the only compositor

nigga the compositor needs to be adapted to allow that
sway/kde folks were working on a sane protocol for this shit last I heard, but it's ridiculous that wayland devs' stance on this was "eh, if it's needed, someone else will come up with protocols for it"
in the meantime wayland is gnome-tier crippleware if you want non-"facebook machine" workflows

false dichotomy

Wayland doesn't need to adopt a protocol for screenshots. It should be a compositor thing.