Have a cabin in the woods

>Have a cabin in the woods.
>600 feet from the main house
>Trying to run internet back there.
>I am networking illiterate.

I asked for help here once before, but I still have some questions. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Since satellite internet is too expensive, the consensus seemed to be that I get two converter boxes and run fiber optic cable between the house and the cabin. Does this make sense? Do I NEED two converters?

When I get to the converter box in the cabin, the output is Ethernet cable (assuming I use two boxes). Don't I have to plug in a coaxial into the wifi router? The one I have doesn't have Ethernet input.

tl;dr - How do I get internet back in the woods.

Other urls found in this thread:

tineye.com/search/1c1c0a98849272847078070a9cb9112fce19a3ee/?extension_ver=firefox-1.3.2
youtube.com/watch?v=nrMEMV6l49Y
fs.com/products/17237.html
fs.com/products/20358.html
fs.com/products/29584.html
neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-33-156-017
amazon.com/PACK-DIRECTV-Broadband-Ethernet-Generation/dp/B01AYMDXMU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_2/147-0794079-2207626?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XA8XWFFYVM8TKV972VP5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Use a pair of tin cans on a string like your grandparents did.

what a fucking idiot

Thanks... very constructive.

whats the point of having internet in your cabin. isnt the entire point of the cabin to 'get away' from all the tech?

reminds me of those people who buy RV's with tvs, refrigs, oven, a/c,heating,shower and go 'camping' in the woods.

>Do I NEED two converters?

Yes you dumb fuck otherwise how are you going to use the fibre at both ends?

They’re fleeing people, not tech

No. I live in the cabin. The main house is not mine.

How the fuck should I know? I told you I know jack shit about this stuff. I thought maybe I could get a router that took fiber in.

Post pics of cabin and I'll help
Nobody else help until Op delivers

If you are tech illitterate, it might instead make sense to use wireless, microwave maybe. Take a look at Ubiquity's AirFibre series.

What people? Are there random people in their house they're trying to flee from? Over crowded sub-urb?

a converter is ethernet to fibre. OBVIOUSLY you need a converter at both ends. this isn't fucking rocket science buddy, these are basically LEGOS.

I do that kind of shit. leave my town around the holidays to get away from all my family functions.

I rent an airbnb, usually a cabin or tiny house in the woods or something. internet is a HUGE plus.

Get bent.

That was brought up last time. Don't you have to have a clear line of sight for that? It's also a bit over my budget, if I recall.

Congratulations. You will never know the pain of being an introvert.

> Get bent.
no u faggot

I figured since you are clearly retarded, I would expand on this. You need two wireless trancievers, one hooked up to the primary router/gateway in the house, the other hooked up to a switch in your cabin, which you then plug your PC in to.
It might be pricey, and line of site is required for an optimal connection, but at 600 ft, it shouldn't matter that much. Also, do your cabin and your house share an electrical circuit? You could do EoPL (Ethernet over Power Line) which is super cheap, but not super fast.

Get a 600 feet long fiber.

What?
I moved into the countryside for the reason to be alone, you don't think I will stop shitposting and enjoying media content from the internet?

>this isn't fucking rocket science
Nope, it's IT, and I didn't study either.

Can anyone answer the question about Ethernet input on the router?

>not super fast.
What are we talking?

>Nope, it's IT, and I didn't study either.
boomer spotted

lots of trees? 2.4ghz is out of the question, go with 900mhz look up ubiquiti locoM9, or ideally ubiquiti NBM9

>want to be alone in the the woods isolated from society
>but also want to be online where im connect to the entire planet so that i may offer my humble thoughts and opinions

>What are we talking?
Probably around 100Mb/s. Not terrible, but if you have a NAS or something at the house I would go for the wigig.

>boomer spotted
Whut?

>Probably around 100Mb/s.
Than's more than okay for my purposes. Does the strength of the electrical matter a whole lot?
>if you have a NAS or something at the house I would go for the wigig.
Pic related

Point to Point wireless

You guys realize you're probably helping a bear, right

>google issue or question
>100 pages of literal step by step solutions
muh facebook machine dont werk son pls help

"Strength" doesnt really mean anything desu. The EoPL adapter uses the wiring and current to propogate a carrier wave. If they are on the same circuit, and there isn't too much noise, and the power is reliable, then it will make a link. If you have any HAM operators around you though they will be pissed off.

Do I need two (like point to point) or is it basically a big wifi extender?

>600 feet
okay there's some really fucking retarded product out there for exactly your use case

get this, there's an ethernet repeater that is powered by ethernet
you go from your house with the ethernet connection and any method of your choice of injecting power, than 300 feet away you terminate the cable into a discrete ethernet repeater that is PoE, which takes away the power being provided to the cabin end, but allows the signal to repeat for the next 300 feet

tineye.com/search/1c1c0a98849272847078070a9cb9112fce19a3ee/?extension_ver=firefox-1.3.2

I don't think EoPL is going to work here. The wiring... isn't exactly up to code.

... thanks?

Can anyone answer this?

nigga, get with the ages

our tin cans are wireless now

youtube.com/watch?v=nrMEMV6l49Y

OP is a faggot that won't share his comfy with us even though we're helping him for free. He probably has a loli dungeon.

It's messy...

don't those PoE injected repeaters have a nasty habit of catching on fire?

Then you're using your lolis wrong.

So do Intel CPUs

You know without any entertainment people can go insane

Just run a really long ethernet cable you fucking idiot

Do you have internet in the main house?

OP said 600 feet. Im pretty sure the signal will drop out after the first hundred or so and need a repeater.

Once I figure out how to transmit it back here, yes.

I'm still looking for an answer about the Ubiquiti locoM9 wireless bridge. Do you need one at both ends?

isn't it going to be buried in a box?

It's like the physical world and the internet are one and the same.

Protip, you can unplug one but not the other.

>Since satellite internet is too expensive, the consensus seemed to be that I get two converter boxes and run fiber optic cable between the house and the cabin. Does this make sense?
You definitely need fiber cabling, because ethernet has a maximum range of 100 meters. Theoretically you could place a repeater in the middle of the way (or possibly at two places), which needs power -- but in practice that is amazingly horrible and I would not recommend it.

>Do I NEED two converters?
Well, you need a device on both ends that speaks fiber. That's either an ethernet-to-fiber converter, or a switch with a fiber port. Those may be more convenient than converters.

600 foot of fiber cable will cost somewhere in the vicinity of $300; converters cost around $50 each (optics included), and switches with fiber ports around $100 each.

Im not totally experienced in networking as Ive taken a few cisco classes but what I imagine youll want to do is get a few routers to share an SSID/IP and set them up on the path down to the cabin. That way you get continuous wireless access like a large campus.

What moron told you to run fiber

Yeah, that's what I've gathered so far. Thanks

That sounds pointless.

If you have a better suggestion, let's hear it.

>That sounds pointless

In what way? Do you not need continued wireless access? Or do you not find it efficient?

Idk what kind of electronics you have but it could be useful for phone/tablet browsing or even wifi calling.

No. I only need access in the cabin.

Ok you may actually have to look at fiber then.

Ethernet starts losing signal at about 100m(330ft). You can run extenders or an amp but they are more expensive than fiber.

Install two radio towers from your home to the cabin. Get an amazing wi-fi without packet loss. Problem solved.

>Install two radio towers
That sounds expensive

This thread is prime example of pic related.

Sad pathetic fucks.

Thanks for your constructive input.

Heh. Made me chuckle.

Try big cantennas. Saw an oil barrel in half or sth. Google how to.

Just print out your favorite Sup Forums threads at work and read them when you get home.

That post is BS though and just cherry picks examples. I've been helped plenty of times on Sup Forums and not called a retard.

Just dig a trench and lay an ethernet cable.

Why don't you just call your ISP and pay them to do whatever the fuck this is? Not everyone can be DIY networking engineers.

Ethernet cable has a length limitation. 600 feet of it will not work. You could put a repeater in the middle, but it would need to be an outdoor-proof assembly.

>call your ISP and pay them
Because that'd probably cost thousands.

>getting help on /biz/
heh

OP: If you are going to run a fiber, are you planning on burying it? Because that adds significantly to the price (bury-grade outdoor fiber is more pricey than surface only).

>are you planning on burying it?
At least part of it. Though I was considering putting it through some sort of pipe.

I believe an outer conduit will also work with cheap cable, as long as it can reliably keep moisture out.

yes, you need to run a fibre line, with adapters on either end to convert it back to copper ethernet
copper only works up to ~100m, and 600ft is 183m
fiber bottoms-out at 220m, and can go far longer depending what you get, i doubt you need anything fancy for this setup, though

Okay, next question: What do I need to look for in the fibre cable and where do I get it?!

The thing is you're asking a board that's job is to be literate in this stuff for free advice, which makes it quite different from the examples he listed.
/fit/ isn't filled with professional trainers doling out free advice. /trv/ isn't filled with professional travel agents doling out free advice. /biz/ isn't filled with professional brokers doling out free advice.
Yet Sup Forums which is filled to the brim with people working or in school to work in some aspect of this industry, is completely fair game for free advice and you're just a bitter virgin if you want to interrupt your funposting to deal with fucking tech illiterate morons. FOR FREE.
Sup Forums acts differently because it's different. Occam's Razor.

Fiber would work. Probably the best option atm.

Length limitation of ethernet atm is 100ft for a full speed. You would need 6 or 7 repeaters in a config like that

Stay on target.

If it's operating on 900mhz, you won't have a device that can respond on that frequency. It would require two

if you don't mind paying, the easy way is to just pay a professional to come out and install it for you
otherwise do your research, order your parts, and set it up yourself. you should have little trouble finding people doing similar setups on blogs and youtube

What the hell are you even talking about?

Gotcha.

'introverts' never fail to mention the fact that they're introverts

if you wanted to go wireless, put your router in front of a parabolic dish (satellite dish) and aim it at the cabin
devices that are wireless on that end can receive the signal
i tested this method across half a city and got full bars at the other point

I run a few point to point links on similar distances. They've been rock solid for five years. Here's one newer generation product

>MIKROTIK Wireless Wire (RBwAPG-60ad kit)
Secure AES encrypted 60 GHz wireless link between to locations, 1 Gbit over wireless, 100 m+ range, Gigabit Ethernet, Paired Secure Link preconfigured, Powered by AF/AT/Passive PoE, DC jack

How clear is your point to point? I've got a bunch of trees in the way.

That's a big question. There's a bunch of types of cable, different types of connectors, and different electronics to plug them into.

First, like with ethernet cable, you can either buy it in bulk and attach your own connectors, or buy cable pre-terminated to a specific length with specific settings. Unlike with ethernet, the equipment to attach connectors costs many thousands of dollars, so you probably want to buy a finished cable with ends attached, with a specific length. Which means *measure the exact length you need and add some spare 20% or something*.

Fiber cable comes in two main versions: single-mode fiber, and multi-mode fiber. Multi-mode fiber used to be cheaper but limited, but is nowaways at least as expensive as single-mode and still shitty. So multi-mode is basically obsolete, and you want to buy a single-mode fiber. Multi-mode comes in a lot of different variations, but single-mode only has one version, so that's simple. There are different qualities that can support different maximum lengths of cable, but under 10km it's all the same, and as long as you are not connecting cities together you can ignore that part.

Cables also differ in the environments they can live in. There are levels of ruggedness, etc. You want outdoors-grade, obviously; but it goes all the way up to transatlantic-grade.

A fiber cable comes with any number of actual fibers in it. Two fibers make one connection (one for data in each direction); so if you buy an 8-fiber cable, you can run 4 independent ethernet converters on those. You presumably don't want that, so a 2-fiber (AKA 2-core) cable is what you want, and more than that is just unnecessarily expensive.

Fibers have different possible types of connectors at the ends. LC connectors are the common modern standard connectors, so use those unless you have a good reason not to.

[continued]

[continued]

Fiber cables don't usually plug directly into a switch or ethernet converter. Rather, you plug the fiber cable into a small piece of electronics (a "transceiver module") which contains all the actual optics, and you plug those into your switch. These come in different versions to fit different types of connectors; they also have different versions with different maximum distances, bandwidth, and a lot of other shit I don't understand.

The cheapest supplier I could find with a few minutes of googling can sell you the following package:

fs.com/products/17237.html ethernet converter, twice
fs.com/products/20358.html transceiver, twice, for single-mode fiber with LC connectors and a bunch of other settings that seem just fine for your use case because you don't need anything fancy
fs.com/products/29584.html fiber. Make sure to select LC UPC connectors on both ends. Fan-out alignment is fine. The pulling eye can help you protect your cable while pulling it through forest / conduit.

WARNING WARNING WARNING:
I have never actually bought any fiber-related stuff. I have worked with it under supervision of someone who knew what he was doing, but my experience is limited, and it's entirely possible I am forgetting something critical here. Taking my advice in this is at your own risk -- personally I would buy this and take the risk, but I *could* be buying things that don't actually work together this way. Can someone double check my work here?

In particular, I know very little about the eleventy different possible configurations of the optics in the transceiver. I *think* this is all basic plain stuff that will work absolutely fine as long as you are not doing anything unusual, and in particular are limited to 1 gigabit, but I could be wrong.

Godspeed, OP.

setup P2P with high power, I'm pretty sure you will get a good signal.

THANKS!

You're welcome. Let me know what you end up going for, if that is somewhere in the lifetime of this thread.

If anyone with actual experience with fibers could check my work in , I'd be much obliged.

It's only 600 feet, get some 1W antennas from eBay.

just use coax, it goes to 1000+ feet

ITT

Neo G being helpful lol

Nice to see.

Really? Just putting the router antenna inside a dish? Sounds fishy :)

I used to run and terminate fiber in a datacenter. Terminating fiber literally involves polishing the glass end mirror smooth or a $5,000 fusion splicer, and bending it too sharply irreparably breaks the fiber and requires a from scratch re-run, so definitely buy pre terminated or hire someone to run it for you, and for God's sake use protective conduit or PVC or something. You will want SC-SC cable (terminated SC style at both ends) since that's the easiest to work with for single mode. If you have an Ethernet port free in the main house, all you need other than the fiber itself is two of these puppies.

neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-33-156-017

One for each end. Once the fiber is run, it's plug and play.

>long range wifi
>to a place in the woods
na m8, you need line-of-sight for that, so he'd need to mount an antenna above the tree line, which could end up more expensive, and it still won't be as fast or reliable as a hard fibre line

>long ethernet cable
The signal will weaken after 300 feet. He will need a signal repeater, or lay down fiber optic cable.

amazon.com/PACK-DIRECTV-Broadband-Ethernet-Generation/dp/B01AYMDXMU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_2/147-0794079-2207626?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XA8XWFFYVM8TKV972VP5
Here, OP. $13 + the cost of dirt cheap coax.

Christ, Sup Forums is full of cunts today. Sorry you're getting shit on OP, ignore the sticks up their asses. These nerds think rather highly of their time and "advice"

>100Mbps full duplex
Unless OP is on shit internet he needs more bandwidth than that.

just bury some cat 6 a few feet down and meet it half way with an ethernet switch to keep the single up ether seal the switch with resin or make a little plastic pod for it.
run the power for it in the same trench.
I did this 6 years ago and i'm sending this reply from said set up.

lol

This, so basic and simple. Op stated 100mb is enough already..

And a damaged line is super easy to replace if needed while the setup is dirt cheap, plus no WiFi issues.

WIFI repeater.
>or you could dig a hole to China and route a cat5 cable with amplifiers or whatever

People in the country. Have wifi repeated over tens, even hundreds of miles. Not that you'd need that. All you need is a 'wifi amplifier'

see passing over clear countryside, paddocks and shit is fine, but a building in the woods is another story, the trees will attenuate the shit out of wifi