UK Government Teaches 7-Year-Olds That Piracy is Stealing

>The UK Government has expanded its copyright curriculum for small children, targeting them from the age of just five years old. By using cartoon videos with fictitious characters such as Kitty Perry, Ed Shealing, and Justin Beaver, it aims to educate kids on key intellectual property issues, including illegal downloading.

>In 2014, Mike Weatherley, the UK Government’s top IP advisor at the time, offered a recommendation that copyright education should be added to the school curriculum, starting with the youngest kids in primary school.

>New generations should learn copyright moral and ethics, the idea was, and a few months later the first version of the new “Cracking Ideas” curriculum was made public.

>The play on Ed Sheeran’s name is interesting, to say the least. While he’s one of the most popular artists today, he also mentioned in the past that file-sharing made his career.

>But that didn’t stop the IPO from using his likeness for their anti-file-sharing campaign. According to Catherine Davies of IPO’s education outreach department, knowledge about key intellectual property issues is a “life skill” nowadays.

>In the cartoon, after the Meerkats found out that people were downloading their tracks from pirate sites and became outraged, their manager Big Joe explained that file-sharing is just the same as stealing a CD from a physical store.

torrentfreak.com/uk-government-teaches-7-year-olds-that-piracy-is-stealing-180118/

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-doesnt-harm-sales/
youtu.be/IeTybKL1pM4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They've been teaching kids that for a long, long time.

Good, reminds me of the DARE campaign and how it only made people more curious about drugs

Piracy *is* stealing, though.

They should teach them how to license their code correctly too.

They also teach kids you shouldn't drink,smoke nor climb onto electric trains,but they still do it.

> Western Government insert propaganda into educational material
> News

>Big Joe explained that file-sharing is just the same as stealing a CD from a physical store.
Copyright infringement and theft are two distinct legal offences. It doesn't surprise me to see our fuckwit government contradict itself.

Who cares they're all mudslimes lel

>Imagine being so out of touch you think this would work.
>These are the people running your country
No wonder Europe won't make it to 2050

Good thing they're leaving the EU then.
UK just wanted the undisputed right to cuck its citizens.

This might be out of board context, ut the U.K. is telling 7 year old kids that sharing digitally is wrong, but they also tried to cover up the whole underaged sex/rape scandal that they have, and also tried covering up that other sex/rape scandal that involved british girls, and other men who fit a specific characteristic.

tld; UK p2p file sharing is bad, but actual pedoshit, and pedo-prostitution is not. The fucking irony m8.

What a waste of time and money. Let them play outside or learn something useful ffs

Is it even the duty of a government to educate kids in overall really pretty damn unimportant (and hopefully soon obsolete) laws that mainly are of interest to one tiny subgroup of society?

Do these kids have a nearly as good understanding of any other, more important laws?

it's unauthorized copying

This is the same shit as PIRACY IS STEALING from like 20 years ago.
Also
>implying normies even pirate any more
They all just use youtube and spotify

wow two totally unrelated things

The pedo scandal was covered up by a Labour council.
This shit is tory government.

youtube is piracy my dude

Even official channels?
>implying normies listen to anything beyond singles

Don't copy that floppy.

>mfw seeders are literal thug gangsters in the eyes of future children
>mfw we are literally the mob
>mfw after the great firewall ends piracy, the brutal gangs of the sneakernet will dominate the underground illegal file network
>mfw piracy is going to become a real profession again in our lifetimes
>mfw people will actually die over this

Not really sure how to feel about this, I get why they're doing it but honestly I think using record companies as your example is pretty weak.
Of course there will be no lines drawn in the ground for culture jamming, sampling and fair use in general, but thats going to be too complex for someone at age 7 to understand. Like it says, even using the celebrity likeness is itself a form of theft, so how fucking confusing is that going to be on top of the rest. UK Copyright Law is some of the worst there is and I doubt you could accurately explain it simply to an adult, let alone a child.
>file-sharing is just the same as stealing a CD from a physical store
I disagree, but of course if you're telling a kid, you can't really open that up to debate without consequence.

>go to store
>steal 600 CDs
>tell police that this is only as bad as pirating, and I'm only pirating the content for myself, not distributing it
>no charges

>Ed Sheeran
He plagiarized a lot tho

how well did this tactic work with smoking?
last I recall all the 'bad kids' were smoking fags behind the garages
or drinking?
didn't stop anyone from getting piss drunk at age 14/15

Furry undertones to this.

Good lil' goyim.

Holy shit that's disgusting. lol fix your shit, brits

Here in Japan, kids are forced to learn about how evil piracy is in their music class.
Imagine a whole nation of buycucks.

They're about 3 years too late with this shit
If these people want to listen to music they have youtube

you are stealing oxygen

I like that they're teaching kids as young as 5 about copyright laws but they wont teach kids as old as 24 about how to file your fucking taxes or budget.

Then again, I'm just a silly goy, what do I know about what government should prioritize in education.

>taking GPL code is stealing
>pirating a movie isn't stealing
Freetard logic, everyone.

You fucking rekt'd that strawman, bro.

>everything that debunks me is a strawman

Good. It's a crime.
When it's not a crime anymore, then the curriculum can remove this.

It's not a crime. Almost all copyright infringement is a civil matter, not a criminal one. Criminal copyright infringement only happens under current US law when it's:

>for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain
>by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000; or
>by the distribution of a work being prepared for commercial distribution, by making it available on a computer network accessible to members of the public, if such person knew or should have known that the work was intended for commercial distribution.

Copyright law was originally intended to stop those from claiming they made a work they never actually created, it's become a beast of its own that needs to be slayed

It doesn't cost much, so even if only one person in the class applies the advice, it'll still be worth it.

Thanks Walt Disney

Don't copy that floppy

>undisputed right to cuck its citizens.
>exclusivity
>while cuckolding
they can't even get that right

protip: selling pirated media on the side of the street is still a thing in some parts of the world

gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-doesnt-harm-sales/

(((EU)))

implying

t. good goy

But they're right. If you're getting the content for free without permission, that is stealing

Property is a spook

>UK

Oh hey, government propaganda

>Under US law

Sorry lad but US laws are not the definition of crime for the whole world. Just because you don't call it a crime in your legislation texts doesn't mean other states cannot call it a crime.

Tl;dr don't bring local definitions to a global discussion, that doesn't work.

youtu.be/IeTybKL1pM4

I think pirates should really do more outreach to kids. You know stuff like sharing is caring and how to recognize a transcode audio spectrum data

Meanwhile preschools in Croatia have PS2s with pirated copies of GTA San Andreas for kids to play.

Your taking physical things instead of taking copies of them, irrelevant

Jesus duplicated some bread and fish.
The farmers/fishermen did not make any more dosh through this action.
Is jesus a criminal?

No one on Sup Forums ever talks about the elite pedo rings in the UK.
I fucking hate Americans.
They fucking loose their shit with Hollywood and Bill Cosby and our telly gets swamped with it and no one bats an eyelid at the BBC or Parliament.

I remember my flat has shit internet but the school has cracking internet and I used to just leave torrents running on the school computers all day.
God I miss those days...

That's you own country averting your attention away from the tyrannical disaster they are creating.

Yes and that's why he was executed like the criminal he was.

It costs a fuckton, because our government is incompetent, and there's no benefit, because piracy does not harm sales.

So the UK is teaching kids from an early age that they are able to download stuff for free. They are going the wrong way about this. They are just going to end up with 5 year old pirates.

It's unethical to give out money from local economy for things that can be downloaded for free.

>uk
stopped reading there

Piracy causes less damage than theft (with theft, a store loses a physical CD and has to pay to replace it), while it holds those caught for the crime liable for much worse.

So piracy is stealing or property is theft? This commie cuck (((government))) can't even put their stuff together.

>pirates everything, even free games

kek, I don't know why I do this. Maybe is a reflex shit or something

the joke is that you can't, those chad pictures often include something that just doesn't make sense
you can torrent free games, but torrenting != pirating

How can you pirate free games?

If you find installers on torrent sites maybe. Or some company puts out some game as "abandonware" or freeware and instead of checking you just decide to torrent it.

Sauce on the antipiracy video you spoke of?

kek

His point is that the government isn't concerned with real issues.

>our boat has a leak in the hull and it's sinking
>"Okay, but we should make sure that we've put the dishes away."

technically speaking, downloading something from a non official source IS pirating. Even if it is freeware. If it is open source, then it doesn't matter where you download it though.

Sure, except for one thing: America is the only relevant part of the world.

>The UK Government
Okay that's all I need to know about this

really? I thought it was only if they don't allow redistribution

Doubling down, good move. You're winning this debate, scro.

>cucking kids