So what's the deal with this meme foam all you guys posting in BST have? I also see many youtubers have it

So what's the deal with this meme foam all you guys posting in BST have? I also see many youtubers have it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes
ebay.com/itm/Arrowzoom-24pcs-Black-Red-Wedge-Sound-Absorption-Acoustic-Foam-9-8-9-8-1-9/162559875215
sounddeadenershowdown.com
newgrounds.com/portal/view/590285
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

when you have shit speakers in a basement, this makes the grating high-end seem less earsplitting

Isn't it soundproofing?
Redpill me on soundproofing rented accommodation, Sup Forums

They absorb sound and cancel echo.
That's it.

So how about the additional firehazard?

Improving the acoustics of your room which is one of the most sensible things you can do to improve sound quality. Hated by audiophiles because it actually provides clearly audible results.

So do you cover your entire walls and ceilings with this shit? Ivé seen you guys post battlestations that had like 4 of these devided across a wall and i've seen some people that have covered everything

it's not sound proofing.

it's getting rid of echoic behaviour of sounds which otherwise gets reflected multiple times on your concrete walls and many frequencies killing each other out

depends on how much you want to get rid of this said echoic behaviour. it helps to decrease the decibel build up in your room as well if you have a noisy refridgerator for example

you will get the same effect by setting up a carpet on the room, (less eco)

-------------->
Head-Fi is thataway, pal
-------------->

go to bed, vasily

My friend covered his walls with the purple 6x6 egg cardboard squares, and we tucked in white fluffy cotton behind it, which looked pretty cool under a blacklight on mushrooms and cough syrup. It was pretty flammable though.

best

>It was pretty flammable though.
Probably just as well you didn't realise that while on those mushrooms.

When you have a gf, she just puts up drapes and populates the room with pillows and shit. No need for these chemical-emitting sponges.

Does it matter? Unless you are in the room to quickly grab the extinguisher, it's going to burn with or without them.

fun fact, egg crates actually do nothing and don't have the same effect as acoustic foam. thesis like the first thing you learn when you google how to set up acoustic foam.

Short version: People are retarded. Slightly longer version: see Pic related is what you want.

Probably minus the glass and hardwood floors though..

It looks cool, and if you lay it on the floor you can deadlift off of it without scratching your floor or waking up the neighbors.

It's not a firehazard in terms that it's going to catch a fire from anything you would normally do in your room. Those foam type materials have a relatively low temperature when they start to melt and catch fire, 100s of degrees centigrade usually. Basically, what the other guy said, it's not going to start a fire, but if a fire does break out, they would be gone in a flash.

Unrelated to sound, but if you live in a house with concrete walls and no heat insulation on the outside, putting those on the inside could cause the moisture in that wall to condensate and drip along, making your wall damp.

Have you people never heard of recording studios and room treatment?

Have you ever seen one? If not, look no further than here

Honestly, I think its the aesthetic; they look futuristic, and add contrast to a room especially if you don't have any art on the walls. People are followers, they see this shit all over Reddit/Youtube/Facebook, and want to be just like everyone else.

Most of the people buying them won't see much benefit. Adding drapes and a bookshelf will do more to reduce standing waves depending on your setup

t. I'm dumb and I want to stay dumb
>the absolute village of Sup Forums

Got 2 boxes of sound dampening tiles from a UK manufacturers for like £45

Used about 1/3 so far on ceiling and wall of basement concrete room (large)

Sounds a fair bit better but doesn't look great. Probably worth it to me due to expensive speakers.

>They absorb sound
very little, the concrete wall does a better job of "absorbing" sound. you need mass to absorb sound

these baffles reflect sound (especially high end) at odd angles

youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes

don't know if you'll find towels for this cheap though

I've seen this before. The guy is fucking awful and the whole thing is basically retarded.
Lots of people out there have done proper diy panels, and documented the effects on room acoustics with calibrated measuring microphones. It's very doable and far superior to meme foam if done right, but this guy is just retarded.

so do i need to fill the walls and roof with these to remove echo from room?

The biggest meme of youtubers and /bst/ is not foam, but those fucking random shapes they attach to walls with RGB LEDs on the back to illuminate the wall.

it was the first result

Ok guys im thinking of buying this

ebay.com/itm/Arrowzoom-24pcs-Black-Red-Wedge-Sound-Absorption-Acoustic-Foam-9-8-9-8-1-9/162559875215

yay or nay?

Why are you thinking of buying this? If you think your place will look cooler if you put that on your walls, then, yes, buy it. It's not going to fuck up your acoustics, but then again its not going to help much either.

cause all the cool kids have it

yeah i think it looks cool. I mean you can buy shitty ikea paintings but this actually has some functionality

i just hope the red is dark

Note that that covers a 1x1.5m area and nothing more.

Add mats to the floor first if you haven't already, that's very cheap and easy.

>this actually has some functionality
Close to none. You can argue that's it's better than nothing, and while that's true, you'll still have to get rid of it to hang acoustic panels that actually work. That is if you ever wise up.

>Note that that covers a 1x1.5m area and nothing more.
what do you mean exactly?

im not planning on filling every wall up, just hang it at 2 or 4 different places around the livingroom

Why wouldnt these work?

>I mean you can buy shitty ikea paintings but this actually has some functionality

if you buy shitty ikea paintings and stuff them with cotton/terry cloth (or better, medium/high density CCF), it'll provide a LOT more function than the thin open cell foam from ebay

why is the ebay stuff so bad?>

All reviews on google and youtube are pretty good. They even have before/after recordings.

I'm in no way a professional artist or anything so I dont feel like spending 1000$ for slightly better quality

because in order to absorb sound you need mass, it'll deflect the sound a little, but no more than "shitty Ikea paintings" would

so how come you're the only one that says it doesnt work?

I mean show me some hard numbers or proof because all I can find is positive

I did a LOT of research when I was doing sound deadening for my car, sounddeadenershowdown.com

it'll cut down on some of the high freq reflection, but it'll do little for the bass

Who do you think does these "reviews on youtube and google"? People who don't know fucking shit and can't afford anything better.
Try "recording studio" on google images and tell me how much of this foam garbage you see outside of vocal booths.

here’s my auralex
and qrd diffusers

>the whole thing is basically retarded.
>but this guy is just retarded.

who hurt you user?

Because any bedroom musician can afford that and not simplistic acoustic room treatment.

>Candles
what the actual fuck.

Also, you are now aware that the rectangular panels are sound-absorbing baffling, i.e. basically an expensive implementation of acoustic foam.

>what the actual fuck
Dunno. People are weird.
>basically an expensive implementation of acoustic foam
But that's completely wrong. They're most likely broadband absorbers made of rigid fiberglass or something very similar. If that's basically acoustic foam, then anything is.

reddit see, reddit do.

>what the actual fuck.
Comfy?

I share a small office with 4 people and it gets quite noisy.

What's a cheap sound dampening that doesn't look absolute shit?
Preferably to put on the ceiling.

Home insulation or sawdust if you like fires. The panels posted in this thread are not what you're looking for. You're better off with IEMs or sound canceling headphones

If anything a basement would bloat the low end because concrete reflects bass.

>very little, the concrete wall does a better job of "absorbing" sound. you need mass to absorb sound

Because you're especially mistaken, here's a chart. Hard solid materials reflect sound. Soft porous materials absorb sound and convert it to heat. How did you confuse light, fluffy insulation materials for "high mass".

Use rockwool. You can get it in over 4", which is what you need for broadband absorption that won't color the room reflections by subtracting only the top end of the audio spectrum. It's made of rocks. Rocks don't burn. It's also cheap because it's a normal building material.

It depends on your use, recording usually requires a dry environment because reflections can be simulated in post and you have more artistic control. Some instruments sound different from different directions though, and room reflections allow you to hear all of it.

Rockwool. Couldn't imagine it breaking firecode, but check anyway.

Actually rockwool isn't so cheap, disregard that unless it's going to lower your energy bill

What kind of audio setup are you using?

>Hard solid materials reflect sound
I was talking about sound penetration, numbnuts, since someone said "sound proofing"

maybe you should get your head out of your ass

and yes, MASS is what absorbs sound, you need a dense material, see lead vs foam.

rockwool (brand roxul) is a good choice actually, but, as you said, it can get pricey. that said, you can get enough to insulate a small room for about $100.

>I was talking about sound penetration, numbnuts, since someone said "sound proofing"

No, the person you were replying to said absorption. It doesn't matter what "someone" you weren't replying to said. The point of a reply is to carry on the context of the post you're replying to.

>and yes, MASS is what absorbs sound, you need a dense material, see lead vs foam.

Lead walls would reflect sound and absorb barely any like concrete and brick. Foam walls would absorb a lot sound even though most of it would pass through. It's not complicated. What you're saying is the equivalent of mass indicating a good heat insulator. It's not.

>a brick wall wouldn't insulate better than fiberglass

oh boy

insulate what?

Bricks insulates sound great, but because of reflection, not absorption.

You sound like you're confusing sound absorption for insulation. They're not the same thing. The reason high absorption doesn't indicate good insulation is because a portion of absorbed sound is transmitted to the other side depending on the material. In fact, high absorption is likely to mean it's a poor sound insulator, because what's absorbed wasn't reflected and wasn't kept in the source's room. And the most absorptive materials are porous and let the vast majority of sound pass through the air.

>the most absorptive materials are porous and let the vast majority of sound pass through

take a moment to re-read what you wrote, you're a fucking idiot

>most absorptive materials
>let the vast majority pass through

Yes because absorption is not insulation

A material can absorb more but block less. Look at the chart Notice that fucking velour drapes absorb more sound than concrete and brick. Those are facts. Get over it baby

And here's more measurements in percentages for your brainlet

The worst part about those is how fucking expensive they are

then explain to me why I can't hear anything on the other side of a brick wall but I can hear it all on the other side of curtains

check

and

mate

Are you retarted?

Meme foam? Just kys, you don't deserve our oxygen

You can't hear any explanations. You're not getting another one

if you are on one side of a brick wall and the sound is coming from the other side, it get's reflected away from you e.g. reflective property
good for soundproofing but bad if you are trying to stop an echo on the side of the wall the source of the sound is coming from.

A material that absorbs sound, doesn't stop sound from traveling through it, it just helps prevent it from being reflected back (echo).

I think you are assuming when he says sound is absorbed that it just disappears as if absorption is akin to a black hole

It is you though who should kys. Uneducated fuck.

>I think you are assuming when he says sound is absorbed that it just disappears as if absorption is akin to a black hole
U fucking wot m8. Are you confusing diffusers with absorbers or are you just not thinking it through? It's literally in the word. It absorbs (some) of the sound. How would it work otherwise? Some sound gets sucked up while going through, then it hits the wall and is reflected back into the absorber again and some more sound is absorbed.
In an anechoic chamber the absorbers basically are a black hole for sound to go die in.

dude...

Because absorbed sound doesn't always turn into heat. The absorbing material can transmit the absorbed sound to the other side. This is true for dense, hard materials.

Look at window glass here If someone is talking to you through a glass window, and absorption was a black hole, 65% would be reflected back to the speaker, 35% would disappear through absorption, and you'd hear nothing. But that's not what happens. You hear a low muffled voice, because the glass vibrates and transmits the absorbed bass while reflecting the highs.

No. Every little bit helps.

I don't think we really disagree.. I just think the post I quoted does a poor job of explaining what is happening. Covering every surface of a room with broadband absorbers would help with isolating the room from the outside. You could essentially isolate it completely with enough material. It's just not a very smart way to do it.

it's just a trend. No real use.

You're a retard.

I really feel, that at the distance from my speakers, sound getting diffracted from back of a wall, is less than, far much less, that I can hear.

haha faggot
go get psychological help

>basically retarded
And yet you cannot provide a single argument.

So they've finally did it. "Audiophiles" are finally locking themselves away in padded rooms.

About time.

I cleaned out my room recently in anticipation for a move and I was quite surprised how echoey it was. The furnishings definitely absorbed the sound.

put me in screencap

If the speakers are far away from side walls and you're far away from the rear wall, then reflections will play a smaller role.
Why don't you go look at RGB lights or whatever the fuck it is you come here for, retard.
>And yet you cannot provide a single argument.
You really only need to read the thread and have some common sense to see why it's retarded. He could have put a fucking sheet of plywood there and he would be getting amazing results according to his retarded test method.
Ebin xDDD

Can these cancel out the sound me me furiously shitposting on Sup Forums with my Model M in the middle of the night?

No, but they will remove the high frequency echo in your room.

What gets me is that people put it around their monitors for "Aesthetics". It has no effect there.

>sound getting diffracted from back of a wall, is less than, far much less, that I can hear.

Yes it's very quiet compared to the direct sound, but when it does make it back to you it mixes with the direct sound and colors the sound and reduces intelligibility.

It's so it can be in the photo

I bought some cheap ones and put them on my wall. It did nothing and they keep falling off so i threw them away. Waste of money

I think a lot of it depends on if you're using the room for recording or playback. I'll say I don't know which youtubers are being talked about here, but I'm pretty sure in at least some cases if you can see the foam in their videos it's treatment more focused on recording.

How to make cheap-as-shit sound proofing that actually works.

1. Get rock wool. Build a frame from planks so that the it fits around the pieces of wool. The the wool out and add some angle brackets or something to keep the rock wool in place.

2. Cover the front of the frame with a thick, but loose threaded cloth, such as burlap. You can staple it on.

3. Lay the cloth side on the floor and push the rock wool against the cloth. Don't over fill it, as the air gap behind the wool and the wall actually dampens it more than if it was completely filled with wool.

4. Add some more angle brackets to the frame so you can hang it from the wall.

To all the rockwool fags in here:

Enjoy your lung cancer.

Make it out of aerogel then.

Isn't rockwool safe? I thought that it was glasswool that was cancerous.

Without you're not a real pro youtuber.

A video from forever ago, but shows practical example.

newgrounds.com/portal/view/590285

top kek