>2010
>Tablets totally are going to replace laptops you guys
>2018
>still no proper input method, the only way you're actually getting some work done is by buying a Bluetooth keyboard
>still have locked down phone OSs that won't even let you browse the full file system without jailbreaking/download a third-party file manager
When are companies gonna give up on pushing the "tablets are great for productivity" meme? The only thing they're useful for is shitposting and consuming media.

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerreports.org/laptop-computers/microsoft-surface-laptops-and-tablets-not-recommended-by-consumer-reports/
youtu.be/ycKpEWyzl2o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The only thing they're useful for is shitposting and consuming media.

They're designed for the latter, even shitposting on a pad is a chore compared to a phone.

Basically, pads are for Netflix and youtube when you're on vacation, and that's it.

Whats a computer?

Have you fucking seen how many schools and universities are pushing these things as productivity tools? It's insane.

oyyyyyyy Veyyyyyyy

cant you see whats going on????????

((((((THEY))))) want to keep it that way. why would (((((THEY))))) destroy the laptop/pc market? nothing to gain from it

Here in the Netherlands most of the "Steve Jobs-Schools" have failed miserably compared to traditional schools. It's all just a fucking meme.

Here in Australia the meme is still incoming. Probably because it's cheaper than giving every student an actual laptop.

None?
Where is this happening?

At my university, especially in my degree (medical degree), we use tablets for anatomy exam.

>Actual laptop
>Australia

They already tried that, sort of... Remember the school Thinkpads? I had the first gen, so fucking horrible, slowest netbook Lenovo offered at the time bloated with proprietary software.

Imagine Photoshop CS3 running on an early Intel Atom with only 2GB of RAM. It didn't, basically. I remember they claimed that the replacement cost for these laptops was something like $750 each just because of the overpriced software they couldn't run. GIMP is free. Libre Office is free. 99% of the expensive af software could have been free and they could have used that $450ish extra on buying at least a 15" laptop with a full size keyboard. You can't do a fucking essay on a netbook, it's torture.

Most of them ended up broken anyway. I took a bunch of them with me (essentially stole them) when I left school and used them as parts, that's all they're good for. Some of the later models used 128GB Toshiba SSDs that I've stuck in actual laptops. Such a massive waste of money and time. Everyone I knew just used them to play flash games in class.

Can't speak for the public system, but most private schools have their own laptop program. Mine had a bit of a rocky history, mainly tainted by a fetish for two-in-ones that made shit laptops and nobody ever used as tablets.

Tablets are only good for kids that like to play mobile games

>>still no proper input method, the only way you're actually getting some work done is by buying a Bluetooth keyboard
>>still have locked down phone OSs that won't even let you browse the full file system without jailbreaking/download a third-party file manager
OUT OF THE WAY

You hit the nail on the head mate. There is such a huge drive by state (and federal) governments to get kids using these in schools. iPads are the cheapest and most convenient way to meet those demands.

I know some family friends that have a boy who's about 12 at the moment. He's right into vidya, does all sorts of stuff online and is generally switched on. When he saw me typing one day, he couldn't understand how I was able to touch type. Typing without looking at a keyboard and even being able to correct mistakes without looking? He couldn't wrap his head around it. At his age I had a school laptop that I'd been using for a while and I could type. I gave him my Thinkpad to try on for a little bit and he had to hunt and peck his way through a single word. He has an iPad for school. He does not know how to install a program that did not come from an app store.
This shit is not acceptable in 2018. But this is what we're pushing because of this bizarre 'ipads are future and stuff' mindset the education sector is pushing for convenience.

Thank you user. Glad there's some people out there who get. I was talking to a parent who wanted to get her 8 year old daughter a tablet to "code on". I had to be honest and say please get a laptop if you ever want her to have the chance at programming.

>any year
>buying microsoft
consumerreports.org/laptop-computers/microsoft-surface-laptops-and-tablets-not-recommended-by-consumer-reports/

It's not ideal but you can get a functional laptop for $300 these days. It'll be a shit one but it'll at least be an intro to real computing. I don't mind people using tablets as a convenience but they should not be a necessity. They shouldn't be a crutch for people that never learned to use a damn computer properly.
I can vouch for this. Had a Surface Pro 4 for... under six months, before inexplicable and unfixable hardware faults made me return it. I actually didn't mind it while I had it but I'm much happier with my T420 now.

>get an iPad air 2 for 50 bux off a dummy
>use it for YouTube and Web browsing
>realise it's not even worth 50
Are tablets a meme?

I enjoyed using a few early Android tablets for a little while. Overall I think the 7 inch form factor is probably better than the hueg ones but even then, I'm not actually sure what I was really doing on it that I couldn't do better on a laptop. Other than maybe battery life relative to what I was doing.

Tablets are good for the average spoilt rich kid, and cringey mobile gamers.

You could even just give them a fucking Chromebook. They're under 10 years old they're not gonna do anything other than look at videos on YouTube and netflix.

Have any of you guys actually used any of the recent models? I don't think it's all there yet for programming and development, but when it comes to writing essays and drawing, they beat laptops.

People realized they can't to any work on tablets and went back to laptops. Only exceptions are stuff like the Surface Pro which are just laptops in a tablet form factor.
Laptops now days are doing great with stuff like modern, power efficient and powerful chips, NVMe storage, and thunderbolt 3 over USB-C. Ore people than ever are building their own PCs, and AMD is finally competitive again.
Even pre-built desktops aren't a bad buy any more and will give you a good graphics card paired with an appropriate CPU and sane amounts of RAM at a good price.

Meanwhile when taking tablets outside of hybrids running Windows 10 we're really only talking about the iPad and Amazon's Fire 8 HD, and the later is mostly just to keep kids occupied since it's damn near indestructible

Weird, my Surface Pro 3 still runs great

youtu.be/ycKpEWyzl2o

In in my school they'd give those - those will be immediately broken or sold.

The only use for those is a recipe viewer on kitchen, because it works OK in zip-lock bag...

>I'm not actually sure what I was really doing on it that I couldn't do better on a laptop

Reading portrait?

Windows 10 hybrids exist

That's probably about it. It was comfy for use in bed and on the couch, but a thinkpad on the lap does largely the same thing on top of having a keyboard that won't give me RSI.
They're more useful than an iOS tablet but at that point you're more using an optionally gimped laptop than a tablet.

Not everyone needs a GTX1060 in their laptop

My T420 isn't exactly a gaymen powerhouse, user.

I was really happy to read that these were a total disaster.

I don't mind the idea of a tablet as a teaching aid but you simply must ensure a kid has a basic understanding of what to do with a mouse, keyboard and operating system. That is what they will find in every single workplace they walk into until the day they die. Even if AR and VR might start to become a presence, they're not replacing a traditional mouse and keyboard for productivity.

Yeah it isn't, it's probably weaker than new ultrathins with ULV CPUs

the ipad pro will soon outsell the macbook pro.

Nobody except special snowflakes use the iPad Pro

sales of ipad pro are skyrocketing and macbook pro declining.

It does everything most people need and will continue to meet even more people's needs with ios12

Apple users are special snowflakes don't ya know?

I almost bought a Microsoft Tablet, the $1800 one with a normal processor. It is great-looking hardware. I would like to install Slackware on it. I'm holding off because it is too much of a risky purchase if it does not work.

I wish there was an equivalent Chinese one with an atom, but this is the only tablet with a regular Intel processor. I don't know why they put an i5/i7 in there because it is going to be extra hot.

idk man i use my surface as my main computing device and have for the last 2 years and i'm pretty happy with it. i have the keyboard the arc touch mouse and the surface pen, probably more input methods than the computers most people use

i7 8gb ram 256gig ssd. it works pretty well for just a tablet at the end of the day. i play spintires and skyrim on it regularly and flash ECUs on evos and wrx's via tactrix cable with no issues. i wish it had more storage, i'm probably gonna get a 400gb microsd when prices go down some

I mean I bought a used iPad for like $200 and it fit my needs perfectly. I was looking for a laptop to use when I don't want to sit at my computer desk any more but couldn't really find one I liked for the amount of money I was willing to spend. I realized I only really wanted to browser the internet and watch some shitty videos and settled on the iPad. No real need for a keyboard since I don't need to type anything, screen is decent enough (2,048 × 1,536), and the battery last a long time. Right now it's at 70% with 20 hours screen on time and 300 hours of standby. Definitely not a computer replacement but it has its uses.