/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try autistici or aktivix.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/AW-NU138-AR9271-150Mbps-Wireless-802-11b-g-USB-LAN-Network-Adapter-Wifi-Dongle/232612748148?hash=item3628ccdb74:g:JXkAAOSwaC9aYWT4
wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_AR9271
wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
deb-multimedia.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

tfw dealing with wifi devices that don't work in linux

someone please kill me

Take the Atherospill and enjoy your Linux-libre compatible wifi.

>someone please kill me
BANG BANG

i bought 2 of these

ebay.com/itm/AW-NU138-AR9271-150Mbps-Wireless-802-11b-g-USB-LAN-Network-Adapter-Wifi-Dongle/232612748148?hash=item3628ccdb74:g:JXkAAOSwaC9aYWT4

>Linux Torvalds wants to set operating systems free.
The idea of freedom that he peddles is literally just anarchy, yet in practice he isn't even neutral and can't help but skew his own views in favor of corporations over the average user.
What a load of crap that magazine cover is.

Linus once said GPLing Linux was the best decision he ever made for the kernel.

Sometimes I wonder if he regrets not putting it under a permissive license.

That magazine cover is supposed to be undermining Linux by associating it with communist loving hippies. If you get all your news from headlines I can understand that you could get so confused.

Is Debian good for beginners? Looking for good hardware support and an active community. I don't like Jewbuntu's aesthetics and animations. Other distro suggestions are also welcome.

According to wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_AR9271 it should work just fine, if you have the open sores firmware installed.

yeah, I just ordered them because the onboard doesn't work, should've been specific

>Is Debian good for beginners?
If you have some good computer knowledge and only a beginner in gnu+linux, yes.
>Looking for good hardware support
Debian does not include non-free firmware and drivers by default. They are all installable after you enable the non-free repo but they are not there automatically like in Ubuntu for example.
>active community
You are in the right place.

Good choice.

Is Ubuntu 17.10 shit?

Does turning off the pseudo-Unity faggotry break anything? I'd honestly prefer vanilla GNOME.

I have a gtx1050ti. Can I get proprietary drivers for it? I've heard that the open source ones are shit. Also, does it support popular media codecs like mp3, mp4, mkv,etc.? Even if it doesn't support it out of the box, can I install it?

How can I get larger thumbnails for the Firefox file picker?

By reducing your resolution.

>Can I get proprietary drivers for it?
yes: wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>I've heard that the open source ones are shit
You heard that right. nVidia isn't too cooperative with Linux devs, see the "nvidia, fuck you" incident.
>Also, does it support popular media codecs like mp3, mp4, mkv,etc.?
Most media player in GNU+Linux (like mplayer, mpv, smplayer, vlc, mpd etc) use ffmpeg/libav in one way or another so you don't have to worry about codecs.
deb-multimedia.org also has your back.

No. He's said that the BSD license is perfect for software you don't care about, and the GPLv2 makes it more efficient to contribute back rather than maintain a parallel fork. This is why the Linux kernel has stayed unified except for Android while the 386BSD guys fractured into a dozen incompatible OSes.

Don't fuck with me, not in the mood

>see the "nvidia, fuck you" incident
That's a fucking motto. Pleas don't help people with nVidia hardware. Those give money and power to GNU/Linux enemies. They don't deserve our help.

GTFO fucking slave. You ain't welcome here.

deb-multimedia isn't necessary anymore. Debian has been shipping full codec support in the main repo for a long time. You can just apt install mpv and it works.

What does this mean and what do I do g?
(GalliumOS on a Chromebook)

That incident was referring to some stupid integrated mobile chip, not graphics cards. Fucking gnufags always gotta reinterpret history.

>nvidia kid damage control
Sup Forums called they want you back

bla bla bla. GFY

Unless you want the newest codec versions and patches for your super crisp animus. deb-multimedia had newer versions faster and there has been no issues in years.

Which version of Debian should I put on my laptop? I've been using Mint around a year now and I want to try out Debian and Fedora.

Dude, the text is quote self explanatory. Check the 3rd option and post a photo of that so we can see if you are safe to replace the file with a new shipped one or you have to keep your old one.

Debian Stable.
If your laptop needs recent kernel features check out debian backports.

Also nice digits.

This. The latest 4.14 kernel is available in backports.

Yeah fuck facts right. Let's just take one visible incident and extrapolate that to everything we feel like. Feel free to point to the actual mailing list posts where devs complained about nvidia presenting a moving target with no transparency but but at least try to stay relevant to the topic you are replying to.

Stable it is, are there some "mandatory" backports to have, besides kernel updates?

Exactly 10 posts after, nice.

Sorry, I'm a complete newb to this so I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to mess anything up.

How badly did I get memed, Sup Forums?

Second pic

Go back to Sup Forums. We don't appreciate your kind here. nVidia is hostile to GNU/Linux.

Buddy, what we don't appreciate here are children who only regurgitate memes and think they know what's up.

Let me guess. You own a nVidia card?

>one incident
Nvidia's refusal to implement GBM in their kernel driver means the proprietary driver will not work at ALL under most Wayland compositors, or with XWayland. Given how many distros are switching to Wayland by default, Nvidia users will have exactly ONE working compositor - GNOME. And that's only because Red Hat devs pushed support for Nvidia's special snowflake API upstream into GNOME's compositor. Sway and KDE have both confirmed they will not be catering to Nvidia's bullshit, but Nvidia is welcome to submit patches if they care enough.

You know you don't have to act elitist just to get people to take you seriously user. In fact there are times where it has the opposite effect.

Ennh fuck it. Let's do the upgrade from ubuntu-gnome 17.04 to ubuntu 17.10 and see what breaks.

Here we are. We should put in the sticker that the N word is forbidden here. It's not a friendly word. And don't tell that I'm not friendly, we don't have to tolerate enemies of GNU/Linux. We're friendly only with those who are friendly toward GNU/Linux community. Not fucking assholes who defend proprietary hardware. GFY asshole, you're not welcome, and never will.

The real meme is that gentoo is a meme.
It's actually one of the best distros, and clover is basically gentoo I guess although I've never used it so I don't know how much it differs.

Kernels are the big one. Firefox tracks ESR so it gets patches, but you'll be on 52 until 59 is available.

Newfag here.
How do I access a kernel source?

I use waterfox. Or might switch to Basilisk once quantum comes around.

Your grub config is your "boot settings". I would say compare the files. Don't delete your existing config if you've modified it (indeed, if you have, it would be good if you know what you did). It's really not a big deal either way; I've accidentally nuked my bootloader countless times, lol.

None of what you say makes any sense. Just because someone HAS some hardware doesn't mean they support it.
You pretending that everyone who does anything has put thought into it and does it with conviction just makes you sound like you're trying really hard to make people take you seriously.

Not everyone is born knowing the politics that go on in the community and there was a time when even you didn't give a shit about that stuff because you were more concerned with just getting your foot in the door FIRST.

All you have to do is inform them of what's going on. If they refuse to believe it or whatever THEN maybe your attitude would be justified. This has nothing to do with "being friendly" this is just common sense if you don't want to be taken as a tryhard who probably doesn't know half of what he wants to make people think he does through being aggressive.

Thanks.

bla bla bla
Slaves don't deserve time of free men.

Seriously just fuck off you neo Sup Forums cancer. You're not fooling anyone.

new grub file will hide the grub menu on boot, since the timeout is set to 0, if you don't want that, keep the old one.

Thanks.

Is there a better Discord client than the official one for Linux?

Discord hates, hates, HATES third party clients. They keep sabotaging attempts to build a Matrix bridge.

Ignore gnuposts
Ignore gnutards
Live a better life
/Richard Stallman/i;boards:g
/stallman/i;boards:g
/freedom/i;boards:g
/free software/i;boards:g
/rms/i;boards:g
/GNU\/Linux/i;boards:g
/GNU+Linux/i;boards:g
/gnu/i;boards:g
/gpl/i;boards:g
/FSF/i;boards:g
/foss/i;boards:g
/fglt/i;boards:g
/gahno+/i;boards:g
/spreading freedom/i;boards:g
/proprietary software/i;boards:g
/idealism/i;boards:g
/idealistic/i;boards:g
/redistribute/i;boards:g
/modifications/i;boards:g
/respect/i;boards:g
/emacs/i;boards:g
/cuck/i;boards:g

Here we are. The nVidia slaves is against the GNU/Linux philosophy and its defenders. Thank for proving my point. That thread is my home, a GNU home, it's not yours.

>go to a gnu and linux thread
>filter gnu and linux posts

Do you also complain about anime on Sup Forums?
Do you also complain about chinese restaurants having too much chinese food?
Do you at least get paid by sucksmore or are you doing it for free (as in free beer)?

Again you're just talking out your ass. I never said I supported NVidia.

But you will go on and on fighting people who are actually on the same side as you just because they think you're acting like a moron right now.
This is what makes you tryhard cancer. And this is my last post to you. Tryhards like you who just swing blingly at every low hanging fruit even when it makes no sense to are not worth my time.

You can also grab the latest firefox tar.bz2 from mozilla and unpack it in your home and just use it. It works without issues, even from debian oldstable.

It's just gnome with some tweaks. Works fine here.
Wayland is the problem.

>who are actually on the same side
No they're not on the same side as me.

I do not have a separate home partition. Did I fuck up?

No.

No. Especially since you can just boot up any live system, resize your /, create a new partition in the free space, move your home there and add the new partition to your fstab as /home

SK-R-R-R-R-R-AAAAAAAA

*POP* *POP* *POP*

Fuck me, it just worked. No icky fake Unity crap, either.

Yay. Ubuntu is easy and fun.

How the fuck do you use Linux? I've just installed Icecat, unarchived it, and read the README without understanding any of it.
Anyone got a guide on installing a program? I'm on GalliumOS.
And wtf is a tarball? I looked it up and still have no idea.

What should I use for image editing (not really drawing/painting)? GIMP or Krita? Or something else?

if you want something basic you could try pinta

Stick with a newb distro like Ubuntu for now. You're not ready for the things you're attempting.

I get that a tarball is like .zip, but when I try to unpack one, it just says directory not found.

What the actual fuck are you doing? Open a terminal and run "tar xvf filename" to extract it.

Thanks. Everything online said that I have to have brackets and a dollar sign before it...

Something a bit more feature filled would be nice, I'll probably try out both Krita and GIMP I guess.

When I type 'make install' it says no 'rule to make target 'install'. Stop. ' I've tried running it in basically every directory.
Sorry for being so stupid.

Read the readme/install file.

I have but I think I'm to retarded. Is there a reason for the install process not to run on one click?

Now it says
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
Am I a lost cause?

>Is there a reason for the install process not to run on one click?
Because I don't know what you're trying to install but most likely you didn't download a prebuilt application like you're used to doing on windows or whatever. What you have is most likely source code and you are trying to compile it.
If there is no Makefile then you probably have to use autoconf tools, or whatever the readme says. Other than that, you're on your own.

I'm trying to install GNUzilla / IceCat, but the readme hurts my pleb brain

I don't know whether I should post it here or fuck off to /sqt/ but I'll give it a shot.

I'm trying to set up an Arch based VM with X11 forwarding, I've installed it and the xorg group and the mesa libraries but:
- I cannot use startx as my user, it errors with "Only console users are allowed to run the X server" and nothing seems to help.
- I cannot use startx as root (which apparently I shouldn't be doing) because it makes X11 segfault.

How do I actually run the X server then?

If your trying to do X forwarding from the guest VM to the host OS, the X server is on the host. If the host is Windows, cygwin has an X server you can use.

I'm trying to use Xming on Windows which seems to have a server, so that means that there's no need to install X server in the guest OS, correct? In that case I should just set the DISPLAY variable to something that would be able to make it connect to the host server instead?

The GNU project's biggest failing is it's lack of community. They try to attract members through fear and guilt, but unlike the catholic church they don't have the history of authority to make it work. It isn't just a problem with outreach though, the crippling feast can cause other issues. Like GCC getting it's lunch eaten by clang and glibc having to be forked to illustrate an internal issue of maintainership.

ssh should handle setting DISPLAY. I've done this before but its been a while. From what I remember.

On the guest VM
>enable X11 forwarding in sshd_config
>start sshd
>install a terminal like urxvt

No Xserver is needed.

On the Windows host:
>install/start your X server
>ssh -Y user@vm urxvt

The terminal should show up in Windows and new X windows you open in the terminal should as well.

After that you'll want to automate it with password less SSH logins and maybe a batch script to run the ssh command.

How much did I fuck myself by installing Mint and what should I install instead?
Been looking at Debian.

Alright so that's what I did, I've installed openssh on the server, configured X forwarding in sshd_config, enabled the service, and rebooted for good measure.
On Windows then I start Xming which starts the X server, then I do the following:
ssh -Y -p 9001 [email protected] xterm (I'm using 127.0.0.1 because of port forwarding)

Which results in:
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

If I just ssh into the box without appending xterm to the command, and echo $DISPLAY, it shows up as empty.

Does that mean that Xming didn't really start the X server? Or do I need to manually set it to something? Perhaps I could try with a different X server.

Not really sure, like I said it's been a while. I don't do this anymore. Try adding -vv to ssh for more information.

Alright I got it working, what I had to do was to set the DISPLAY env variable on the host machine with:
set DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

Afterwards sshing opened the terminal window. Thanks for the help.

Use this as a hotkey (I use alt+z). Super friggin useful, you might need to tweak a few things.
xdotool search --name "Terminal - blackcat@arch:~" windowactivate || xfce4-terminal

Decided to try Linux because I got a t440. Is it worth going balls deep and starting with Arch or go with Ubuntu as a beginner. Which one will make me learn Linux faster? I want to customize everything and learn commands and shit

Thanks in advance

That's just a representative of the shell prompt you utter fucking moron. It's not actually part of the command.

Start with Ubuntu so you at least have a working system to experiment with.

VcXsrv is supposed to be better for win10

Real the title. This is a bully free zone. Maybe he should've posted it in /sqt/ but still, it doesn't mean you should be rude.

do you guys edit xfce through the config files or the gui settings?

Bump

So, i got CloverOS on a USB drive, and installed it on my ideapad 320, wich previously contained windows 10, under the assumption that it would be contained on the USB drive and that i'd be able to boot into windows again by simply unplugging it and restarting the laptop.
However, after i ran into some problems with the OS wich made me not want to use it, i realized this wasnt the case. I didnt make a backup of windows 10 anywhere. Is there any way to recover it/go back to windows 10?