/rvg/ - RISC-V General; Make CPUs Great Again edition

What is RISC-V?

RISC-V (pronounced “risk-five”) is an open instruction set architecture (ISA) based on established reduced instruction set computing (RISC) principles. In contrast to most ISAs, the RISC-V ISA can be freely used for any purpose, permitting anyone to design, manufacture and sell RISC-V chips and software. While not the first open ISA, it is significant because it is designed to be useful in modern computerized devices such as warehouse-scale cloud computers, high-end mobile phones and the smallest embedded systems. Such uses demand that the designers consider both performance and power efficiency. The instruction set also has a substantial body of supporting software, which fixes a usual weakness of new instruction sets. The project began in 2010 at the University of California, Berkeley, but many contributors are volunteers and industry workers outside the university. The RISC-V ISA has been designed with small, fast, and low-power real-world implementations in mind,[2][3] but without over-architecting for a particular microarchitecture style.[3][4][5][6] As of May 2017, version 2.2 of the userspace ISA is fixed and the privileged ISA is available as draft version 1.10.

SOCs Coming out this quarter:
lowrisc.org/
sifive.com/products/risc-v-core-ip/u54-mc/ (you can also request early access there on the bottom of the page if you want to)

Dev kits you can pay way too much money for:
dev.sifive.com/freedom-soc/evaluate/fpga/

Available RISC-V Microcontroller or set of 5 chips (not in beta, you can order these right now)
crowdsupply.com/sifive/hifive1/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UC5gLmcFuvdGbajs4VL-WU3g
wiki.freebsd.org/riscv
wiki.debian.org/RISC-V
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/RISC-V
github.com/riscv/riscv-gentoo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yea, ill stick with x86 until something bg comes around and competes with it

Fuck off with this spam shit, it's borderline advertising

no i'm continuing some other user's general he made like a day or 2 ago.

Does C compile seamlessly to this platform?
I'm looking for alternatives to x86 and the whole dam ecosystem of niggering. What's the roadmap for many core architectures (procs > 16 cores)?

>Does C compile seamlessly to this platform?
GCC I believe has been fully ported.

youtube.com/channel/UC5gLmcFuvdGbajs4VL-WU3g

Any compatibility issues w/ various flavors of Linux OS or popular tools? Biggest issue people want to have answers about is compatibility. Everyone wants alternatives but there has to be compatibility. Marketing this needs to first and foremost address this.
> Will i be able to use OS x,yz?
> Will software incompatibilities exist?
> If yes, if source is available can it be recompiled and this compatibility issue resolved?

Answer these questions and you will capture attention.

>Will i be able to use OS x,yz?
So far, I think the most developed one, or at least from the sound of it, might be freebsd
wiki.freebsd.org/riscv
>Will software incompatibilities exist
Once a distro has full support for it, it should be able to run just about any software in the repos.
>If yes, if source is available can it be recompiled and this compatibility issue resolved?
All this software would be open source.

Oh, and debian and fedora are working on it.
wiki.debian.org/RISC-V
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/RISC-V
And some guy is working on a Gentoo port.
github.com/riscv/riscv-gentoo

Yeah, you gotta solve fundamental problems like this before trying to market it further. Support major OS -> Support major tools -> Support major software applications. Did in the water until then.

>you gotta solve
>market it further
I'm just some retard making a general thread on Sup Forums.

kek

Hey rabbi, watcha doing?

So when do you think lowRISC is gonna come out?
The OP says this quarter!
But when exactly?

and you think getting it out to OS and tooling devs doesn't require marketing? like low level devs are all part of some super secret cabal that just magically monitors everything that's going on in the hardware space?

newsflash: devs get their info by browsing random blogs, "social networks", and boards (like Sup Forums) all the time, just like everyone else.

>devs get their info from Sup Forums
Now i'm laughing at the idea of some pajeet from Microsoft reading this board and seeing all of our "poo in loo" comments.

Microsoft people definitely lurk around here from time to time

bump